ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old November 28th, 2012, 02:15 PM   #1
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jesse

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

New rider (err, ummm mechanic?) South of Nashvegas!

Hello Ninjette.org!

Hey I'll try and keep this pretty brief, love to discuss any of this stuff I'm about to glaze over in detail so reply with you take on any of this!!

First, I'll apologize for the sin I committed in this picture...I picked this up from a friend of my brother, after my brother described the bike (and a half lol) as a "basket case", so I left the motorcycle trailer at home so I could bring this nice big flatbed. As it turned out both the bike and the donor machine were rollers, but I was 200 miles from home so the pipes got pulled off and the bike laid on its side.

So not that I've gotten that out of the way, yes I did manage to get this 88 bike with a blown (PPO says it had some mechanical noise, for all I or the PO know the valves may just be too loose) engine and good title and another bike with good engine but no bodywork or fork or title for the price or cleaning it out of dude'e garage. He was moving and the edict from his wife was that he had too many projects for a guy with a 2 year old and another on the way, so the ninja got chopped. Just BTW they're getting at least a $50 gift card to Olive Garden in their Christmas card this year.

Anyway I've finally made a runner/rider out of it, I had it running and took it for a spin around the yard with no clutch maybe a month after I got it, I've been sorting electrical issues and a fried ignition module since then, not to mention spending some time in the carbs and getting the petcock to both flow enough fuel and not leak (at the same time...). Now I'm in the process of procrastinating to get it registered and insured, and messing with getting the bodywork/lighting, etc to highway readyness.

Here's a bit of a list of the sub-projects going on here:

1 Get the thing streetable
2 Get it looking halfway decent--bodywork is rough, considered doing a street fighter/bobber but now I'm leaning toward rhino liner, since structurally the fairings are fine, and I've not seen many bikes done like this
2A Sell all the spare parts cluttering up my spare bedroom!!!!
3 Ride it one good season to convince myself I can deal with a bike this small then one of 3 options:
3i--Too small--sell it and buy a 600
3ii--OK just how it is--keep it and enjoy
3iii--Too reliable and I need more entertainment (tinkering) value--Start a KX 500 engine swap...yeah double the HP and less weight and maintenance

A little blurb about me, I'm a 30 year old divorced engineer, father to a very mechanically inclined 4 year old boy. I was about his age the first time I crossed a state line on the back of my Dad's air cooled BMW (my parents are well into their 60's now and put 12,000 miles each on their 30 year old krautburners this last summer). I've ridden dirtbikes and stuff since I was 10 or 11, my first car was a 1970 r60/5 with a windjammer fairing. I continue to trail ride in northern MI when I visit family (on either a borrowed kx500 or a 4 wheeler), but I had really been out of the street bike business since I sold the beemer when I went to college.

Other interests? My main hobby nowadays is Brazilian jiujitsu, which I supplement with yoga and running, I've also recently picked up mountain and road biking, which keep me tinkering and shopping craigslist for parts and stuff.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20120303_180028.jpg (107.8 KB, 9 views)
kxpower? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2012, 02:51 PM   #2
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Welcome to the forum! Nice to see a fellow Tennessean with a ninjette!

Looks like you've been having fun tinkering away. If you have any issues we are all here to help.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2012, 03:01 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
put a 2stroke cr500af motor in it

Old November 28th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #4
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): Ugly 89 frankenstien special ex250, and the "Zooks" : 1982 GS450 and 1979 GS1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
put a 2stroke cr500af motor in it
BLASPHEMY!!!

Haha no not really, never been on a big bore honda, but I've always been impressed with the rideability of the 88-up power valve KX500's. Kawi ngines are plentiful and parts are easy to come by, and every time I've looked at hondas it seems the resale price is automatically inflated by 20-30% because of the H on the bike.

But seriously I'm not closing off any options, are there advantages to the CR over the KX?

Old November 28th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
haha probably not

Old November 28th, 2012, 03:51 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome!

Good thing those bikes are in the hands of a kung fu medic.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 02:10 PM   #7
kxpower?
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
Welcome to the forum! Nice to see a fellow Tennessean with a ninjette!

Looks like you've been having fun tinkering away. If you have any issues we are all here to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome!

Thanks!!!

And here's my standard response to any comparison to traditional martial arts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 427504_408801779134572_1356949184_n.jpg (35.6 KB, 3 views)

Old November 29th, 2012, 10:17 PM   #8
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 1st, 2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 24th, 2013, 08:44 AM   #10
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome!

What he said... Welcome. I love a good project
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote