ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old September 17th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #1
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Name: Checho

Motorcycle(s): Harley Street 750

Modular Helmets

What's everyone's take on these Modular Helmets?
Has anyone tried or currently using one? Thinking of getting one.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg helm.jpg (78.3 KB, 3 views)
checho323 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
They don't provide the same protection that a full-face helmet does, and never will. If you're willing to compromise your own safety for the sake of comfort, go for it. I don't see a situation where a modular would benefit you at all, though. I'd never use one.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:16 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
@NevadaWolf has some real experience here.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #4
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Here's a whole list of ECE 22.05 rated helmets on Revzilla:

http://www.revzilla.com/ece-2205-mot...atured&tab=all

While the introduction of the flip up chin bar will certainly introduce some potential weakness into the structure of the helmet, it's certainly not "OH GOD, YOU'RE NOT WEARING A TRUE FULL-FACE, YOU'RE GOING TO DIE DROPPING YOUR BIKE IN THE DRIVEWAY!" As far as I know, they have to pass the same tests as a full-face helmet to become ECE certified and most of these chin bar locking mechanisms are seriously beefy.

Personally, I think they're a great compromise between the protection of a full-face and the freedom of something like a three-quarter. That said, I would never actually ride with the chin bar raised like I sometimes see some touring riders doing.

Old September 17th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Wait, are you asking about modular helmets in general or that one specific model?

I read it at that one model and so didn't respond as I don't know what it is with no experience about it.

But if asking about in general, then I'll add in what my opinion is.

I was in the camp of "Modulars are dangerous" and only ever wore my full face. But my riding style changed where a full face was making things difficult both for myself and for others.

I ended up talking to a lot of folks who take riding and safety very seriously and saw how many of them were wearing a modular. One fellow told me that because of the opinion that they just fall apart, the latching mechanism is built extra strong and durable, more so than it needs to be.

I also ended up talking to a friend who had a story of a ride where the lead was having problems were her three quarter helmet, so swapped with a passenger who was wearing a modular. The lead took a corner way to hot and highsided and then faceplanted. She gouged, scraped, and dented the helmet. The wreck was too gnarly to have no injuries, but the point my friend stressed was the modular never came apart or open. It did it's job.

Eventually, I was convinced to try one. I went to the store and spent about three hours trying on the different styles. I knew my price range was moderate but not cheap so wanted to make sure that it fit comfortably after a long time wearing it. I found for me, the small LS2 FF386 modular fit wonderfully and is very snug and comfortable. FAR more comfortable than my full face. I picked that one due to price, fit, and their full face helmet saved my head on the track.

I wore it for two weeks straight and found the ease of being able to eat and drink, have a conversation, or walk into a store without having a panicked clerk was a lot of stress gone from my ride. Plus with my glasses, putting on or taking off the helmet is super easy and a lot less hassle. One hot spot developed on my forehead, but a strong hand has since dealt with that.

I love the beefy chin curtain mine has. Since my head doesn't have to squeeze by it, the material is a lot stiffer than the simple cloth ones and it can seal around my neck when I close the bar, cutting off most of the wind noise. Not having that massive draft has let me really feel the vents in the front and top - so much so that the front vent stays closed due to my eyes drying out. Plus the internal sun visor is a must have for riding early morning or late evening. The visor on mine is a bit stiff, so takes some effort to crack open. But the latch for the chin is super easy to use and really quick to open. I was fearful of it not latching when I closed it, I was slamming it shut. But I've learned I can just pull it down and push on the chin bar to latch it closed. Once closed, I can pull on the bottom and it does not open again.

Trying to think of any downsides, but most are against my full face helmet rather than a flaw in the modular.

I think I have worn my full face once since I got this modular, and during that ride I found myself wanting to open the front so much I was actually bummed I wasn't wearing the other one. I've now had mine since June and it's gone through about 10k miles with no issues.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #6
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Wow, different opinions. Thanks all.

Old September 17th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #7
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Also, in case you are heading to the track, most orgs do not allow modular lids.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 01:31 PM   #8
Ninjinsky
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

My next helmet will be one of these. I find full face helmets claustrophobic.
Anyone highly concerned about the marginal safety difference between the two really needs to throw in the towel and buy a Buick
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I wear glasses and thought of getting a modular so I wouldn't have to go through the gymnastics of taking the glasses off and holding them while I put my helmet on. When I tried a few, I discovered that they hung up on the frames anyway, making the point moot.

I found them, in general, to be on the creaky and bulky side. So I rock a full-face.

However, if I were a full-time tourer who rides with others a lot, I'd certainly consider one. Being able to flip the lid up, talk and eat without taking the thing off could be useful. But I'm not that kind of rider. Most of the time I ride alone. I tend not to make long stops, and when I do the helmet is apt to be taken off anyway.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 01:41 PM   #10
checho323
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
My next helmet will be one of these. I find full face helmets claustrophobic.
Anyone highly concerned about the marginal safety difference between the two really needs to throw in the towel and buy a Buick
Right on!!!!

Old September 17th, 2014, 02:20 PM   #11
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
I wear glasses and thought of getting a modular so I wouldn't have to go through the gymnastics of taking the glasses off and holding them while I put my helmet on. When I tried a few, I discovered that they hung up on the frames anyway, making the point moot.
I had this problem too when I first got mine and would take my glasses on and off anyway. It took a few days of constantly taking everything off before I finally found my trick (use the chin straps to pull the helmet apart as you slide it on).

That was the weirdest, I figured it would be an automatic "Just put the helmet on with the chin bar up" but nope, that move takes practice and fiddling to find out what works.

Old September 17th, 2014, 04:04 PM   #12
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

I've been wearing an HJC IS-Max for three years now, and love it. I'll always have a modular from now on. Great fit, so-so ventilation, easy no-tool shield removal and washable liner make me want to buy another one before they're discontinued.

Old September 17th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #13
Ninjinsky

A review of the top end stuff
(skip the first 30 seconds of headbanger BS )

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old September 17th, 2014, 05:06 PM   #14
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

@Jiggles has a modular too.

Old September 17th, 2014, 05:17 PM   #15
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

approval ratings

You will never see a Modular flip up chin bar have a Snell rating. It will not withstand the frontal impact testing Snell requires. I have a Nolan and I love it but couple of things come to mind. It's more my touring helmet but because it's a flip easier to chat but its also more nosier than my Arai.

I had Robert at the Service Pavilion custom fit my Arai and honestly it's the best helmet I've ever owned. Yes I miss the flip but lets face it this helmet has more ventilation so I would have less need to take it off or flip it up and it's a lot lighter and finally when you close her up wind noise is almost non existant. I have two Nolan flips and seldom don them

Your flip won't be allowed for track days or racing of any kind. The flips are convenient but their are drawbacks..its a risk just like motorcycling itself. Wardie

Last futzed with by wardie; September 17th, 2014 at 05:23 PM. Reason: spelling
wardie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 07:54 PM   #16
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Modular helmets are too heavy, at least mine is.

Old September 17th, 2014, 08:29 PM   #17
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardie View Post
....You will never see a Modular flip up chin bar have a Snell rating. It will not withstand the frontal impact testing Snell requires.
Zeus 3000
LS2 modular

Both 2010 Snell approved.
http://www.smf.org/cert
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 17th, 2014, 09:16 PM   #18
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Schuberth for me. Its pretty ****ing amazing, comfy, light, got sunglasses and bluetooth and anti fog, good vents.

I'll always have a modular for the street, it allows me to put my cupholder to good use
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old September 18th, 2014, 12:18 PM   #19
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Hmm, i may consider one for my next helmet.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #20
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

My previous helmet was a modular HJC IS-Max BT. It was okay, nothing to write home about for me. It was heavy, at high speeds I always felt like a bobble head. The ventilation wasn't terrible, but far from great. It was also incredibly noisy, at least compared to my Shoei Qwest. I think I used the retractable sunglasses once, maybe twice.

After a bit of weightloss, I wasn't upset that it no longer fit. I eventually rehomed it as a good karma donation to someone on another board that needed a good helmet.

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2014, 01:59 PM   #21
checho323
ninjette.org guru

I heard and saw a video on the HJC SyMax III is not heavy. I'll go have to go see for myself

Old September 18th, 2014, 11:39 PM   #22
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

No. They brake when you need them.
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2014, 08:55 AM   #23
BAZININJA
ninjette.org member

Name: Lori

Motorcycle(s): 2018 NINJA 650 ABS KRT

Just bought this one to go with my NINJA:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171406274908...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

LOVE it!!! I have a Nolan modular with similar features, plus electronics. I like the convenience of being able to communicate and breathe when stopped. It's also real handy when I'm teaching solo classes and need to communicate with my class during a demo.
BAZININJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2014, 10:04 AM   #24
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

caberg modular helmets have better safety ratings than most full face helmets. Everything depends on the maker of the helmet. do some searches there has been extensive testing on modular and full face helmets. some are better than others.
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2014, 10:07 AM   #25
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

oh, and just because its expensive does not make it safer. Like I said do some searches for safety testing done on helmets and you will see plenty of high end helmets (full face) that fail miserabley.

Old September 19th, 2014, 10:08 AM   #26
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
You will never see a Modular flip up chin bar have a Snell rating. It will not withstand the frontal impact testing Snell requires. I have a Nolan and I love it but couple of things come to mind. It's more my touring helmet but because it's a flip easier to chat but its also more nosier than my Arai.

I had Robert at the Service Pavilion custom fit my Arai and honestly it's the best helmet I've ever owned. Yes I miss the flip but lets face it this helmet has more ventilation so I would have less need to take it off or flip it up and it's a lot lighter and finally when you close her up wind noise is almost non existant. I have two Nolan flips and seldom don them

Your flip won't be allowed for track days or racing of any kind. The flips are convenient but their are drawbacks..its a risk just like motorcycling itself. Wardie
There are plenty of snell rated modular helmets on SNELL's website, as well as dozen's of open face helmets

Old September 19th, 2014, 10:20 AM   #27
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

I've seen pictures of people's faces where the modular helmet failed. It's not pretty. I have seen track riders wearing modular helmets and I completely wince. I may even suggest to orgs that modulars should not be allowed.

My dad rides with one and I've expressed my concerns.
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #28
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I suppose it comes down to quality, just like every helmet.

Every helmet has its own level of risks, some are safer, others are not.
Every helmet has its own price point, some are expensive, some are not.

What you do it find the list of helmets in your price that meet your level of acceptable risk. Then you buy the one that fits the best.

Old September 19th, 2014, 01:05 PM   #29
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

There are some very expensive helmets that score very poorly, you can not go off of price!

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/testhelmetlist

Go here and you will see what I am saying. The sharp tests are done in UK, but go above and beyond dot and snell. HJC, one of the more expensive and well liked brands on here? Pure crap, they only have two or three models that score 4 or more stars. Just goes to show that price doesn't mean ****. I wouldn't trust my head in an HJC ever. Go ahead and put all of your helmets in and see where they score. Caberg, is pretty expensive, but not only does their modular helmets hold up better than most all full face, their full face are even better. Caberg modular never had the face flip up 100% of the time during crash tests. I'm not dating that Bilt is going to withstand, but just because another helmet cost $400 more does not mean ****

Old September 19th, 2014, 01:21 PM   #30
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Just in case that was to me...

I agree. One cannot assume that expensive = better, just the same that cheap = crap.

My LS2 and SparX are relatively inexpensive But one company has already proven itself to me while the other has an impressive replacement policy. Both helmets have held up well to my daily riding. I don't have the budget for a $700 lid. I did have the budget for a $200 lid, so i looked for the best I could find that I could afford and that fit me.

Old September 19th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #31
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
There are plenty of snell rated modular helmets on SNELL's website, as well as dozen's of open face helmets
How could that be? They need to pass frontal impact. How could they pass that part of the test if it's open face?

My Nolan flip is not Snell approved. My Arai is.

LS2 I hear is a very good helmet and I totally agree with you price is not the sole factor in the decision to buy a helmet. I remember several years ago Motorcycle Consumer News did the tests and a helmet that retailed around $100 won the crash/impact testing. I think it was a ZR-1 or something.

You pay the extra money for the lightness, ventilation , eye opening portal etc. and maybe graphics.

I prefer to be fitted by a professional so I know my fit is spot on. Robert Miller at the Serrvice Pavilion is at most major races and events. Cool guy loves sharing helmet knowledge.

I think having the ability to share information on the Ninjette website is important especially on helmets. I thank you and others for lending your knowledge. Wardie

Old September 19th, 2014, 04:13 PM   #32
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
How could that be? They need to pass frontal impact. How could they pass that part of the test if it's open face?
I honestly don't know, but on the snell site they have dozens of open face helmets that are cert.

Old September 19th, 2014, 04:16 PM   #33
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Just in case that was to me...

I agree. One cannot assume that expensive = better, just the same that cheap = crap.

My LS2 and SparX are relatively inexpensive But one company has already proven itself to me while the other has an impressive replacement policy. Both helmets have held up well to my daily riding. I don't have the budget for a $700 lid. I did have the budget for a $200 lid, so i looked for the best I could find that I could afford and that fit me.
You have an LS2? Where were you able to find one? That is one of the highest rated modular out there. I am prob going to go with them for next helmet. I wear prescription glasses and that is why I have to go modular. I have tried full face and they just don't mix well with glasses

Old September 19th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #34
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
You have an LS2? Where were you able to find one? That is one of the highest rated modular out there. I am prob going to go with them for next helmet. I wear prescription glasses and that is why I have to go modular. I have tried full face and they just don't mix well with glasses
I have the FF386 which is not the Snell rated one. And despite it being ECE in Europe, the US version is not (???) least it did not come with any documentation. The back sticker only says DOT, FMVSS No. 218, Certified

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...&postcount=549

I picked mine up at my local Honda dealer in Reno.

Old September 20th, 2014, 05:43 AM   #35
Ninjinsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblekain View Post
I've seen pictures of people's faces where the modular helmet failed. It's not pretty. I have seen track riders wearing modular helmets and I completely wince. I may even suggest to orgs that modulars should not be allowed.

My dad rides with one and I've expressed my concerns.
False logic. If you were batting for the other side I am sure you could find plenty of pics where fullface chin bars have failed

There are plenty of sub standard helmets of both types
Any helmet either Snells or it doesn't in fact I would hazzard a guess that there are more sub standard (fail) full faces than modulars.

Did you see the vid someone posted here recently taking a hammer to cheap FF?

Old September 20th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #36
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

As someone who owned a modular for roughly 6 months now, I completely regret it. It's just too heavy. Not to mention the modular feature I never use unless I need to spit and don't want to take my helmet off, or sometimes I'll use it to help remove my helmet, but other than that it's useless.

If you really want a modular helmet, then you better make sure it doesn't weigh a lot. If I were to guess i'd say my helmet weighs close to 5 lbs...

Gonna get a new full face (non-modular) helmet for christmas.

Old February 1st, 2015, 12:18 PM   #37
ryker
chaos theory

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r SE ; 2007 ZZR600

I have both, and I liked both for different reasons. Although I do believe I originally purchased the modular when I smoked, which at the time was pretty convenient. I don't smoke anymore and I do find myself wearing my full face most of the time.