ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 17th, 2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2011 150cc chinaman scooter

Salvage title question...

can a bike be "salvaged" because the clutch and components were bad from the factory? Bike in question is a 2007 Ducati 695. It's what the owner claims....any thoughts on this?
Socal5646 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 09:29 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
right....... sounds fishy to me
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 09:32 PM   #3
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

I've bought and sold a few "salvaged" titled vehicles, some motorcycles,..

If clutch and components were bad from the factory, they would be replaced under warranty, that has nothing to do with the title status of the vehicle.

A salvaged title status is given to a vehicle when it has sustained damage that is recorded by insurance company.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #4
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Yeah...didn't sound right to me either...good thing I asked! Thank you sir(s)!

Old November 17th, 2011, 09:36 PM   #5
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Unless I'm mistaken, a bike gets salvaged by the insurance company when a claim is made and the cost of repair is more than the bike is worth. The owner can buy the bike back or the insurance company can sell the bike but in either case the bike gets the salvaged title.

Someone will only make an insurance claim after a crash or accident. I doubt bad parts from factory will cause a claim.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #6
racegunnr
ninjette.org member

Name: shane

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r race bike, 06 R6 race bike, 06 YZ450f Tard

to be a salvage title the bike needs to have been wrecked in one form of another and the damages would have had to been paid out by an insurance co. usually, mechanical issues arent paid under an ins claim unless damage was caused by the accident be it comprehensive or collision.

i call bs
racegunnr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #7
racegunnr
ninjette.org member

Name: shane

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r race bike, 06 R6 race bike, 06 YZ450f Tard

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegunnr View Post
to be a salvage title the bike needs to have been wrecked in one form of another and the damages would have had to been paid out by an insurance co. usually, mechanical issues arent paid under an ins claim unless damage was caused by the accident be it comprehensive or collision.

i call bs
ok, was explained while i was huntin' n peckin'
stupid fat fingers
racegunnr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #8
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

AFAIK, if mechanical issues are repaired without insurance claims, the title would still stay "clean", not "salvaged".
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 17th, 2011, 11:57 PM   #9
sopranos
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 (black)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, a bike gets salvaged by the insurance company when a claim is made and the cost of repair is more than the bike is worth. The owner can buy the bike back or the insurance company can sell the bike but in either case the bike gets the salvaged title.

Someone will only make an insurance claim after a crash or accident. I doubt bad parts from factory will cause a claim.
Yes and no.

Yes, a bike is salvaged when an insurance claim is made and they pay out money. However, it has nothing to do with whether or not they paid out more than the bike is worth. If you go through your insurance company for ANY amount of repair to a bike then it will end in a salvage title. Therefore, the owner must weigh the options of deductible and salvage title or pay out of pocket with clean title (for minor damages).
sopranos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2011, 12:25 AM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopranos View Post
Yes and no.

Yes, a bike is salvaged when an insurance claim is made and they pay out money. However, it has nothing to do with whether or not they paid out more than the bike is worth. If you go through your insurance company for ANY amount of repair to a bike then it will end in a salvage title. Therefore, the owner must weigh the options of deductible and salvage title or pay out of pocket with clean title (for minor damages).
For example, this bike still has a clean title because the owner neglected to get insurance.

AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2011, 12:41 AM   #11
sopranos
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
For example, this bike still has a clean title because the owner neglected to get insurance.

Haha, I love it!

That's why I put (for minor damages).

Old November 18th, 2011, 12:59 AM   #12
randy328
CMRA Mini Endurance #6

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): CBR954, CBR600RR, EX250

Quote:
If you go through your insurance company for ANY amount of repair to a bike then it will end in a salvage title. Therefore, the owner must weigh the options of deductible and salvage title or pay out of pocket with clean title (for minor damages).
You don't get a salvage title for ANY repair to a bike.

The vast majority of states have specific laws as to when a vehicle becomes a salvage. Most require that the cost of repairs is 75% or more of the value of the vehicle at the moment before the damage, though some, like Florida, have an 80% requirement, some have a specific definition with dollar values (like Minnesota), others only a general definition that the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the vehicle (like Texas, where I am most famliar with the laws).

One of my race bikes is a salvage title - i.e., it was in a wreck, insurance company totaled it and paid it off, and it was auctioned as salvage. I bought and repaired, though the actual reason for the "total" was frame damage which was not significant enough for me to ever repair.
randy328 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2011, 01:11 AM   #13
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Quote:
Yes and no.

I'm fairly sure that it only gets a salvaged title when the insurance company considers the bike totaled and not just for any claim. Total loss can be anywhere from 70% of the value and up.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2011, 01:18 AM   #14
sopranos
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy328 View Post
You don't get a salvage title for ANY repair to a bike.

The vast majority of states have specific laws as to when a vehicle becomes a salvage. Most require that the cost of repairs is 75% or more of the value of the vehicle at the moment before the damage, though some, like Florida, have an 80% requirement, some have a specific definition with dollar values (like Minnesota), others only a general definition that the cost of repairs exceeds the value of the vehicle (like Texas, where I am most famliar with the laws).

One of my race bikes is a salvage title - i.e., it was in a wreck, insurance company totaled it and paid it off, and it was auctioned as salvage. I bought and repaired, though the actual reason for the "total" was frame damage which was not significant enough for me to ever repair.
Ah, then I stand corrected. After talking to my agent that was the impression I got. Perhaps its cause 75% of the market value of a used 250 is so low that most likely a repair from an accident would "total" the bikes worth.

Old November 18th, 2011, 01:27 AM   #15
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

ha its cause even with a little damage on a bike the repair bills will still be so much they can easily be more then the bike is valued at. ( if the repairs are done by a shop at $100 an hour)
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 18th, 2011, 11:47 AM   #16
blink
Always.

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, '05 GSX-R600

Nope.e....

Old November 18th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #17
wardie
ninjette.org guru

Name: Larry

Motorcycle(s): 06 KLR 650,12 250 Ninja, 86 DR 125, 07 CRF 100, 09 Tomos Streetmate LEL Record Holder, 88 K100 RT

A and Gunnr have it 100% correct. Salvage title is a problem if you ever want to trade the bike in no delaer will take it. Salvage comes from an insurance claim. Legally you are required to tell a prospective buyer that the bike has a salvage title.

Old November 18th, 2011, 04:07 PM   #18
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i have had the unfortunate opportunity to have first hand knowledge of this. in CA, if the claim on a bike is made that is more than the bike is valued at (this is not what it is worth, but what the insurance deems as an "adequate value" of the bike which is usually much lower than you expect. for the 250 on progressive they valued the brand new bike at $2200) then they will total the bike and label it salvaged. you get after that the value of the max claim, plus the value of the sold salvaged bike which for the 250 was 800. or you can buy the salvaged bike back frrom the insurance company but you only get the claim value. in my case $2200. so even thoough the bike cost me around 5 grand, the most I could ever get out of insurance is 3000. i managed to negotiate with insurance and repair to lower the repair costs with aftermarket parts and the bike was spared the salvage title, but the "value" of the bike according to insurance has gone down, which means in the future if i drop her they will give me even less.

Old November 20th, 2011, 06:45 AM   #19
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Bad clutch caused the bike to get a salvage title??? The guy is trying to scam you. RUN away from that deal as fast as you can! Scammers usually don't stop at just one lie. You just know about the one, but there are probably more.

Old November 20th, 2011, 01:30 PM   #20
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Yeah....passed on it. But it was REALLY clean and had the red frame and all....too bad!

Old November 20th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #21
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
@Socal5646, got a CL link or something?

Old November 20th, 2011, 10:38 PM   #22
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
@Socal5646, got a CL link or something?
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...705769652.html

Old November 20th, 2011, 10:41 PM   #23
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

When I asked why the salvaged title...his response was "the bike was salvage title for a mechanical issue from the dealer. *i bought it from a private owner about a year ago and she purchased it from a dealership with a salvage title because the clutch and its components were bad. *they were all replaced with new. *i've had it for over a year and put close to a 1000 miles on it and have had no issues whatsoever with the bike. *it rides and runs amazing. *really quick too, for a 695. *plenty of power."

Old November 21st, 2011, 12:23 AM   #24
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
yeah you probably shouldn't buy that... i'm calling him tomorrow to setup a meeting for me to buy it. good thing you didn't walk into that one man...

Old November 21st, 2011, 07:59 AM   #25
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal5646 View Post

Looks pretty tacky. I wouldn't want to ride that POS regardless of the title. I was going to ask where are the front fairings, but after doing a little research, it seems that none of them have front fairings. I guess its a factory defect.

I'd stick with the Ninja. Maybe go bigger if you must.

I'd walk away from that thing for sure, but if you decide not to, then ask him for the VIN and do some research to find out the real reason it has a salvage title.

Old November 21st, 2011, 08:25 AM   #26
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

Like n4mwd wrote: Get the VIN, have your insurance agent do a record search on it. That should reveal the important details.

If anyone sees the bike personally, copy or verify the VIN from the bike itself.

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 21st, 2011, 08:30 AM   #27
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
yeah you probably shouldn't buy that... i'm calling him tomorrow to setup a meeting for me to buy it. good thing you didn't walk into that one man...
Good luck....

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Looks pretty tacky. I wouldn't want to ride that POS regardless of the title. I was going to ask where are the front fairings, but after doing a little research, it seems that none of them have front fairings. I guess its a factory defect.

I'd stick with the Ninja. Maybe go bigger if you must.

I'd walk away from that thing for sure, but if you decide not to, then ask him for the VIN and do some research to find out the real reason it has a salvage title.

Yeah the wheels are pretty lame but can be fixed. What killed any chance of even considering the bike was the phone conversation I had with the owner. Got a BAD feeling! Good thing though...I picked up this PRISTINE 07' with 3k for $2400!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0800.jpg (85.2 KB, 6 views)

Old November 21st, 2011, 08:40 AM   #28
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Still considering a monster though....might just bite the bullet and get a new 796. The new 650r I got is nice but isn't as comfortable as a daily commuter like the ningette was. it's a toss up between getting another 250 (new gen this time) for my daily commute or the Monster....not in any rush though....probably wait for another nice deal to surface!

Old November 21st, 2011, 10:18 AM   #29
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socal5646 View Post
Good thing though...I picked up this PRISTINE 07' with 3k for $2400!
Looks like a 650. You wont regret it. A smart choice IMHO.

That's a good deal too.

Old November 21st, 2011, 10:24 AM   #30
Socal5646
ninjette.org member

Oh it's boat loads of fun! lol The guy had it listed for like 15mins before I ran right over and picked it up! (10pm) Didn't want any scavengers (ehem ehem...Alex) scooping me! (just kidding Alex, hope things work out for you and the Duc.)