ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 2nd, 2015, 06:33 PM   #1
painfulpillow
ninjette.org newbie

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250

06 Ninja damaged pilot jet seats?

Hello! I'd like to introduce myself as a new motorcycle owner and soon to be rider (taking the MSF class this coming weekend). Very excited to start riding.

Any-who, I recently bought my brothers old 06 Ninja 250 that he had sitting in my parents backyard for 6 years and got it for $200. Only had 5000 miles so I thought I would be crazy not to. I've spent the last 2 weeks working on rebuilding the carbs and was successful in getting it to start and idle smoothly but any throttle and it would die. Every jet was cleaned, checked and double checked for any clogs. I tore apart the carb again tonight and noticed this in the pilot jet:

Good:

Bad?:

I've tried the usual stuff to diagnose it dying (vacuum lines all connected, boots snug, jets free from clogs, etc.) but whats going on here? Thank you!
painfulpillow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2015, 03:42 AM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Hmmmm, you know, I have no idea??? maybe @ducatiman might know? You are referring to the pilot and not the main?

Can you describe how you cleaned the carburetors, and are the emulsion tubes all clear? Also what is your experience Motorcycle carburetors?

Any modifications to the bike?

I hope this doesn't offend you, it will just save time,

Also Welcome, here are just a few things to think about,

1.Get trained and licensed MSF Courses

2.ALWAYS Wear protective gear -- ATGATT All The Gear, All The Time -- including a helmet manufactured to the standards set by a government agency.

3.ALWAYS Ride unimpaired by alcohol or other drugs

4.ALWAYS Ride within your own skill limits

5.Be a lifelong learner by taking refresher rider courses, and advanced rider course A.R.C

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218237

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...8&postcount=26

A.T.G.A.T.T. so I may ride another day.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2015, 04:55 AM   #3
painfulpillow
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the response, the bike is stock as far as I know (hoping he didn't try to change the jets). The emulsion tubes looked good: I soaked them in carb cleaner and made sure every.. darn... hole was clear. When I cleaned the carbs, I took every hose and all rubber/plastic off and soaked it in carb cleaner for a good 2 hours. Then proceeded to blow it with air.

This is my first time working on a carb but I made sure to follow the DIY's and check all the boxes.

In the 2nd picture it looks like the seat of the pilot jet is torn/broken. Maybe this is causing it to flood with any throttle?

Old June 3rd, 2015, 07:35 AM   #4
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I don't think there is a problem.

I believe you are just seeing where the 2 passages join the bottom of the opening.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2015, 08:06 AM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

Did you replace any parts? Float needle valves? Set float heights? Did you remove the idle mixture caps? Did you remove the idle mixture screws? Set them to 3x out? Are you sure no parts are missing?

I myself one time overlooked part# 16017 in one of the carburetors, and it caused me a few hours of aggravation, til I realized it was missing. Also if this part is installed backwards, it will cause trouble as well.

Be sure to install a fuel filter, and check to be sure the petcock is working properly.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:14 PM   #6
painfulpillow
ninjette.org newbie

Lol yes that annoying retainer: I had mine fall out randomly and didn't know where it went. I bought 2 carb rebuild kits and changed both float needles and the idle jet needle assembly (o-ring, washer, needle). Originally I had them set to 2.5 turns but it wasn't running idling right, so I turned it back to 3.5. Didn't change the jets just cleaned them in carb cleaner.

I'll double check that everything is there.

Old June 3rd, 2015, 06:25 PM   #7
Ghostt
in your machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by painfulpillow View Post
Lol yes that annoying retainer: I had mine fall out randomly and didn't know where it went. I bought 2 carb rebuild kits and changed both float needles and the idle jet needle assembly (o-ring, washer, needle). Originally I had them set to 2.5 turns but it wasn't running idling right, so I turned it back to 3.5. Didn't change the jets just cleaned them in carb cleaner.

I'll double check that everything is there.
Did you set the float height? This is the most important, and overlooked part of carburetor tuning. If these are not set proper, then everything else is pointless.

ZX-2R BLOG

Old June 3rd, 2015, 07:29 PM   #8
painfulpillow
ninjette.org newbie

I just checked them and they read 19mm and 15mm (best I could tell). Put them back on and it idles great, but any throttle and dies.

Old June 4th, 2015, 07:34 AM   #9
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by painfulpillow View Post
I just checked them and they read 19mm and 15mm (best I could tell). Put them back on and it idles great, but any throttle and dies.
Set them both to the correct spec (I believe it's 17mm).

Either your main jet is plugged, your slides are not lifting properly, or something is not assembled correctly.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #10
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
or your pilot jets and/or circuits are plugged.

the pilot jet drilling you were concerned with looks perfectly normal, btw.

The pilot circuit go beyond that drilling, and branch out in a couple directions.
ducatiman is online now   Reply With Quote