ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old May 31st, 2013, 10:04 PM   #1
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Red/SOLD), 2008 Ninja 250R (Black/SOLD), 2005 ZX6R (Black)

Spidi XP-3 Boots (Good OR Bad?)

I have read somewhere that boots tend to do more bad than good at times such as sticking to the pegs of the bike and causing a drop or an accident. But it also provides the foot/ankles the protection that regular sneakers just cant provide. So what are your opinions on this? Do boots really do more bad than good? I appreciate answers of all sorts whether you're all for it or against it.
RandomPhantom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2013, 07:45 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I just got a pair of these and used them for the first time on the track last weekend. Didn't have a single issue all day. I think they are great boots and a nice upgrade from the AXO's that I used before. If your pegs are stock (with rubber), I could see them being somewhat sticky.

I thought the stickyness was perfect for my non rubberized rearsets on the R6. Another thought on the rearsets though. My woodcraft rearsets are very grippy by the texture on them. I feel the first time I ride with these boots on those rearsets I am going to be aware of overgrip and being a lazy rider. I know sh*t happens but not sure how anyone drops their bike due to their foot being stuck to the peg.

OH! I am wearing them in my avatar pic. lol
csmith12 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Bentley813
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White 300

I've never experienced my Dianese Dyno's "sticking to the pegs." Sounds like an excuse to not buy/wear boots.
Bentley813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2013, 09:59 AM   #4
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Grippiness just means you need to actually pick up your foot to move it as opposed to sliding it. As long as you're aware of that, then there shouldn't be any problems. Yeah you may need to change your riding habits, but that's a very minor change for a major increase in protection.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2013, 03:23 PM   #5
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R (Red/SOLD), 2008 Ninja 250R (Black/SOLD), 2005 ZX6R (Black)

got it guys thanks again for the input and help! im definitely going to invest in these boots now once my paycheck comes right on in! haha jeez im blowing all my money on my motorcycle and gear x(

Old June 1st, 2013, 06:08 PM   #6
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomPhantom View Post
got it guys thanks again for the input and help! im definitely going to invest in these boots now once my paycheck comes right on in! haha jeez im blowing all my money on my motorcycle and gear x(
Yeahhh that's probably never going to get better until you stop riding haha.

Old June 1st, 2013, 06:33 PM   #7
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

looking cool (buying stylish gear) is part of the game.

Old June 2nd, 2013, 01:28 PM   #8
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Yeahhh that's probably never going to get better until you stop riding haha.
Oh lawdy looks like my bike is going to run me dry. Good thing im single right now so i can handle it lol unless a lady comes into my life anytime soon its going to b goodnight sweet prince for my wallet

Old June 11th, 2013, 02:09 AM   #9
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Got another question regarding footwear for motorcycles. I am going to b commuting on my '10 kawi ninja 250r. Should i invest in these full on race boots or go for casual riding shoes? I chose this one over the shoes simply because it looks like its going to protect better in the event of a crash. What are other riders opinion on this?

Old June 11th, 2013, 05:10 AM   #10
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Quote:
Got another question regarding footwear for motorcycles. I am going to b commuting on my '10 kawi ninja 250r. Should i invest in these full on race boots or go for casual riding shoes? I chose this one over the shoes simply because it looks like its going to protect better in the event of a crash. What are other riders opinion on this?
I personally commute in racing boots (sidi st) and wouldn't look any other way.

All I needed to do is think about what would happen if I lowsided and my foot got stuck under the bike as I slid to a stop. What would I like to have on my feet? The answer was clear. Something that has hard plastic over my ankles, fits tight enough that it restricts lateral ankle movement, and won't rip off my feet. Riding shoes are a joke, imo. looks like you're going down the right path.

it's easy to bring a backup pair of shoes in a tail/tank bag, or leave them at work. It's less easy to repair a shattered or otherwise mangled ankle. Most racing boots can be re-soled as well, if you happen to wear through the sole from all of the walking. and the hard parts can be replaced too.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #11
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
I personally commute in racing boots (sidi st) and wouldn't look any other way.

All I needed to do is think about what would happen if I lowsided and my foot got stuck under the bike as I slid to a stop. What would I like to have on my feet? The answer was clear. Something that has hard plastic over my ankles, fits tight enough that it restricts lateral ankle movement, and won't rip off my feet. Riding shoes are a joke, imo. looks like you're going down the right path.

it's easy to bring a backup pair of shoes in a tail/tank bag, or leave them at work. It's less easy to repair a shattered or otherwise mangled ankle. Most racing boots can be re-soled as well, if you happen to wear through the sole from all of the walking. and the hard parts can be replaced too.
I'm the same way, I wear my Sidi ST Air boots if I'm going a decent distance or just out riding. If I'm going around the corner to school I wear my Sidi Fusions.

Don't get riding shoes, they won't help one bit if you crash. Get the best boots your budget allows because ankle injuries suck. I love my ST Airs but they were $395 + tax, the Fusions were $215 + tax and I feel safe wearing either (although the ST's are way more protective).

I can wear my Fusions with regular jeans or pants over them so they don't look too crazy when I'm out walking around at the mall or school etc. With the ST's I have to be wearing my overpants to cover them up.

Old June 11th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #12
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Then what do u guys think about these boots
Spidi xpd-1 boots? its not a full racing boot but its also not a shoe either from revzilla and its on closeout. Heres the link! http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/spidi-x-one-boots

Old June 11th, 2013, 05:48 PM   #13
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Then what do u guys think about these boots
Spidi xpd-1 boots? its not a full racing boot but its also not a shoe either from revzilla and its on closeout. Heres the link! http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/spidi-x-one-boots
I'd still go with a full boot myself, although if you don't have anything at all, I guess it's better than nothing. The real question you have to ask yourself is how ****ed up do you want your legs to be? Would you be ok in hindsight knowing that maybe a full boot could have protected your shins, if say a peg goes right into it, etc?
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 11th, 2013, 05:51 PM   #14
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

actually u guys really do make a great point on all of this. I thank you all for the advice dearly! I have decided to buy the full race boot as posted in the OP. Ordering right now! and now im broke again lol

Old June 11th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #15
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Quote:
actually u guys really do make a great point on all of this. I thank you all for the advice dearly! I have decided to buy the full race boot as posted in the OP. Ordering right now! and now im broke again lol
Which race boot did you end up purchasing? Great decision! Boots are cheap, ankles are expensive.

Old June 11th, 2013, 07:34 PM   #16
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
Which race boot did you end up purchasing? Great decision! Boots are cheap, ankles are expensive.
I ended up getting the Spidi XPD-3S Race/Sports boots in Red/Black cuz my beautiful ninja is solid red

Old June 12th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #17
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Quote:
I ended up getting the Spidi XPD-3S Race/Sports boots in Red/Black cuz my beautiful ninja is solid red
Nice choice, good looking boots. I expect a review when you get them

Old June 12th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #18
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

nice purchase.

it's definitely a delicate balance in finding a product that provides adequate protection, but also comfort and convenience. It seems that comfort and convenience are the reason people shy away from any protective gear, especially boots. That and lack of knowledge.

Everyone on here can give you reasons to buy a one piece leather suit, racing boots, gauntlet gloves, thousand dollar helmets, neck braces, knee braces, etc. to commute 3 miles on 25 mph roads, but at some point you'll look like iron man on your bike and it'll take longer to put on gear than you'll be riding. Just take in the advice and use your best judgement about your needs and wants.

seems like you're on the right track.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 12th, 2013, 12:34 PM   #19
RandomPhantom
The Motorcycle Newb!

thank you guys! and yes i did quite a bit of research before i decided on what boots to buy and these boots offer a good amount of protection as well as comfort for off the bike! Mainly the reason why i bought them Also i will most definitely do a review of the product once these bad boys come in

Old July 20th, 2013, 10:38 PM   #20
Bentley813
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White 300

Quote:
thank you guys! and yes i did quite a bit of research before i decided on what boots to buy and these boots offer a good amount of protection as well as comfort for off the bike! Mainly the reason why i bought them Also i will most definitely do a review of the product once these bad boys come in
So what do you think of them? I'm torn between these and the Sidi ST's.
Bentley813 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 02:49 PM   #21
beazy411
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley813 View Post
So what do you think of them? I'm torn between these and the Sidi ST's.
FWIW I have the Spidi XP-S boots and I like em. They start to get a little uncomfortable when standing around for a couple hours but on the bike they are great. It took a couple rides to get used to them versus my work boots, but they are better by far.

Old July 21st, 2013, 10:01 PM   #22
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

Boots = better than no boots. The extra protection is worth the extremely slim chance of you getting your boot stuck on the peg.

Old August 11th, 2013, 05:08 PM   #23
deeno415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dino

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki EX250(Bright Yellow)

I'm in the market for some riding boots too... does everyone here wear their racing boots for street riding?

Also, has anyone heard or tried these SPEED boots? They look just like SIDI boots and much easier on the wallet.

SPEED boots: http://goo.gl/nlXZeU
deeno415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #24
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeno415 View Post
I'm in the market for some riding boots too... does everyone here wear their racing boots for street riding?
I wear my racing boots on the street.

Old August 11th, 2013, 07:19 PM   #25
deeno415
ninjette.org guru

Name: Dino

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki EX250(Bright Yellow)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
I wear my racing boots on the street.
What boots do you have?
deeno415 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #26
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeno415 View Post
What boots do you have?
A* SMX Plus. I've crashed once in them and they're still holding up

Old August 11th, 2013, 08:14 PM   #27
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

i love my spidi xp3's. if i could go back id prolly get the black/red rather than the black/white versions. the break in took awhile but after that they're great.

Only real downside i see to them is at the base of the boot on the inside theres a little foam pad that isnt attached to anything, so it moves around freely in the boot. Everytime i take them off i have to readjust it and its fine again.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote