ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 13th, 2015, 01:23 PM   #1
Alisha_Ardella
ninjette.org member

Name: Alisha

Motorcycle(s): 2012 kawasaki ninja 250 candy lime green <3

Exclamation Leaking gas

I got my bike out started it and it fired right up. I shut it off and tried to start it 3 minuets later and it wouldn't. Now it's leaking gas in the garage. It gets worse when it is set to pri. It does not look like it is an issue with the gas lines but I can not seem to figure out where it is coming from any ideas?
Alisha_Ardella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2015, 01:37 PM   #2
Singh2jz
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

maybe the carbs got flooded? Is it still leaking or did it just leak for a bit?

Old April 13th, 2015, 01:43 PM   #3
Alisha_Ardella
ninjette.org member

It has been leaking for about two weeks now. It was a slow drip but noticeable. It shouldn't be now because I took of the gas tank

Old April 13th, 2015, 01:52 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I would bet there is an issue with your floats or float needles and is leaking from the overflow.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 13th, 2015, 01:56 PM   #5
Alisha_Ardella
ninjette.org member

And how hard is that going to be to fix?

Old April 13th, 2015, 02:02 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

It's an easy fix but it can be a pain in the rear to remove the carbs your first time. It's best to have some experienced help if ya can.

You have 2 main methods of getting the parts; but individual pieces (cheapest route) or a carb rebuild kit. To replace the float valves, your looking at about a $20 spot give or take for shipping. And you might wanna replace the float bowl gaskets too for an extra $10, your call.

Old April 13th, 2015, 02:02 PM   #7
EternalNewb

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Ninja 650R, 2001 F650 Dakar

Maybe it's time to rebuild the carbs?
EternalNewb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2015, 02:24 PM   #8
Alisha_Ardella
ninjette.org member

Thank you I'll most likely have someone else do it. I'm happy I got as far as I did by myself. there is less than 2500 miles on the bike sucks it is needing anything yet

Old April 13th, 2015, 02:27 PM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Well, after sitting for the off season, it could be from some debris holding the float open a little and no new parts would be required. Just a bit of cleanup and you should be good to go.

Old April 13th, 2015, 02:41 PM   #10
Alisha_Ardella
ninjette.org member

Thank you for your help looks like my next step is to get a mechanic

Old April 13th, 2015, 05:43 PM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

You should check a few things also.

1. Check the air filter to see if it saturated in fuel
2. Check your oil level and see if it is over full and smells like gas.
3. Check your choke lever while you've got the tank off and see if the plunger on the carb is stuck
4. Only use PRI for a few minutes after draining the carbs. When you put the tank back on set it to On and leave it.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 13th, 2015, 06:33 PM   #12
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
If you need carburetor parts or services PM @ducatiman.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 13th, 2015, 07:33 PM   #13
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Tap on the carbs, maybe just a stuck float, might take care of the problem.
My KLR has this problem occasionally, a quick tap with whatever I find roadside, and it's fixed!

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2015, 08:44 AM   #14
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Bingo on the floats! With so few miles I doubt a rebuild will be required but a proper cleaning of the float valve should take care of this. Since that requires removing the carbs it's probably just best to thoroughly clean them completely. The small spaces in the carbs allows gas to quickly turn, and if the bike won't be ridden for a while running some fuel stabilizer should keep this from happening in the future.

It sucks, because the actual "fix" for this takes 30 minutes or so, but to remove the carbs might take a bit longer and all that labor isn't going to be cheap....

You MIGHT be able to get away with some sea foam in the tank.... I have resurrected bikes like this before. About 1 ounce in a full tank of fuel and ride it all out - about 200 miles of riding... IF this works, it's about $30 to fix (gas + SeaFoam which you can get at nearly any auto parts store). The bike will smoke and it will look like it's dying, that's OK.

Worth a shot over the $200 or so it'll cost for the cleaning - unless you find a cool independent shop that's more reasonable. Just a thought.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 14th, 2015, 08:54 AM   #15
Alisha_Ardella
ninjette.org member

The sea foam idea will not work it won't even start.

Old April 17th, 2015, 01:54 PM   #16
Alisha_Ardella
ninjette.org member

We got the bike to start. We had to tap the floats guessing they were stuck. And it started pouring gas out of the clear hose. The gas was s brown color I am guessing it had oil in it? I was at first concerned bc when it started the bike was set to pri. The gas even made its way into the air filter. I seriously just want to cry!

Old April 17th, 2015, 02:16 PM   #17
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisha_Ardella View Post
We got the bike to start. We had to tap the floats guessing they were stuck. And it started pouring gas out of the clear hose. The gas was s brown color I am guessing it had oil in it? I was at first concerned bc when it started the bike was set to pri. The gas even made its way into the air filter. I seriously just want to cry!
No worries, it just looks bad. You just need a carb clean, maybe some new float valves and some fresh gas. If gas made it to the airbox, make sure!!! You double check that it hasn't made it to the oil in the engine case. If in doubt, do an oil change.

You will be rollin' good as new soon enough.

Old May 8th, 2015, 07:32 PM   #18
Alisha_Ardella
ninjette.org member

Took the air box off. I am becoming quite the mechanic the gas is still brown its oil the oil tank is full of gas to. So I will be doing an oil change and I am gong to be cleaning my carbs I got a carb rebuild kit. I was reading that it could be my peacock. Imputes?

Old May 8th, 2015, 10:21 PM   #19
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
well if you filled the crankcase with fuel while it wasn't running, you petcock is bad.

Quote:
You need to verify the petcock is petcocking, err, i mean working properly.*

PETCOCK TEST
install a fuel hose from the petcock fuel outlet into a catch can. Pull the vacuum hose from the engine side. Leave it connected to the petcock.*

Now...petcock set to on.... fuel should NOT be flowing. Apply suction to the vacuum hose (which is connected to the petcock ONLY) ...fuel should now flow.*

Make sure the vacuum line doesn't have any pinholes or cracks!

Post your findings.*

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2015, 06:00 AM   #20
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
I was reading that it could be my peacock. Imputes?
That must be one devil of a peacock. I'd eat him.

But yea, do what Ghostt suggested and to verify petcock function.

Old May 9th, 2015, 07:47 AM   #21
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Took the air box off. I am becoming quite the mechanic the gas is still brown its oil the oil tank is full of gas to. So I will be doing an oil change and I am gong to be cleaning my carbs I got a carb rebuild kit. I was reading that it could be my peacock. Imputes?
Yes, your petcock leaks; however, fuel would not leak down into the crankcase (what you call oil tank) if both needle valves were working properly.

This is the core of your problem, Alisha:
http://www.dansmc.com/carb8a.htm

http://www.dansmc.com/carb8.htm

Eliminate any fuel from the oil because it can damage your engine's parts very much while the engine is working.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 9th, 2015, 08:34 AM   #22
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
As the others have said, bad float valves will allow the carbs to overflow. If your petcock is also bad, it can allow fuel to keep flowing into the carbs. This means if both go bad, the whole tank can drain out through the carbs. If either one is working, it should interrupt the flow (though you really want both working properly).

Like Ghostt said, ducatiman can get your carbs sorted out if you can R&R them. Since you need to pull them to fix the current issue, I'd suggest spending a few bucks extra and just have them gone through completely. That'll save the hassle and labor cost of having to pull them again next year for some other little problem that might come up. Just do it all while you're in there right now.

I've seen lots of threads where someone claimed to have cleaned their carbs completely 5 different times, and it still won't run right. It turns out they didn't actually do a complete job, so it never actually fixed the problem. By all means, do it yourself if you can, but just be aware that there are a lot of little parts and passages that need to be perfectly clear. If you don't get it 100% clean, you'll need to do it again.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2015, 08:52 AM   #23
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Just like the fuel gummed up the float valves, it also gummed up the petcock "safety" valve.

That doesn't mean you need a new petcock.

The petcock has 3 screws on it's side, remove those and you can disassemble it and clean it out. Make sure to note the order of springs and diaphragm - if you assemble it backwards the gas will never stop leaking.

Keep in mind, this is a safety valve that doesn't open until vacuum is produced by the engine running. It's meant to kill gas flow when ever the engine dies, like during a crash or just when you turn the bike off after a ride.

Luckily, nothing is broken on your motorcycle, it's just dirty. I doubt you'll even need anything from the rebuild kit to get the bike running 100%...

Be SUPER careful when putting the slides back in, as pinching the diaphragm between the carb body and the slide caps will cause a vacuum leak, and they are kinda pricey (~$100/piece). I usually use a small amount of Bel Ray Lithium grease to hold the diaphragms in place, then lightly press the caps back on. Wiggle them before putting any screws back in and you will feel the cap settle onto the diaphragm seals. Keep pressure on the cap and put the screws back in. If the cap lifts at any point after it's seated, you have to reseat it.

Stay patient. Do not rush. A few more minutes now and a cleaning done right will yield a first time fire up and do wonder for your confidence... Not saying you're not confident, I just remember how I felt the first time I did this, and it's scary. Take pics, post up, keep asking questions, we'll get you taken care of.

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2015, 10:41 AM   #24
Alisha_Ardella
ninjette.org member

Either the petcock is gummed up, I didn't have enough fuel in the tank or I suck at vacuum testing (pun intended) I did manage to get off the bolt to change the oil it peed hello gas