ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:24 AM   #41
Redgeneral
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r (SOLD) - Black. 2011 ZX-6R Green/Black - 2001 Garbage Bag Green KLR650

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
"If I don't have the time or feel like gearing up, I take the cage"
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Another one I always find amusing:
"Wow I'm glad I wasn't wearing all my gear when I crashed" -Said by no one...ever.
Redgeneral is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:31 AM   #42
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redgeneral View Post
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Another one I always find amusing:
"Wow I'm glad I wasn't wearing all my gear when I crashed" -Said by no one...ever.
You've a point.

After my accident, they gave me back my gloves. The reinforced knuckles were dented in. *shudders*

My friend rides without gloves. I honestly should push him into riding with them though. How he deals with the vibration and openness of it, idk. Thinking about it now he seems to be a typical squid: bad gear, Gixxer. Yep..I said it, first bike is a gixxer. But I can't say anything, I did get into a crash before him. Advice on this?

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:44 AM   #43
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Yes, overpants come with knee armor. Better ones come with hip pads too.

Get them to fit as snug as you're comfortable with. The whole point here is to have armor that protects what it's supposed to protect. Wear baggy pants and the moment you hit the ground the pads will move out of position.

FYI the elbow and shoulder armor in most jackets is good, CE-rated stuff. The back pads, however, are without exception a total joke. You can get CE-rated replacement back protector inserts.

If there's one thing you can get away with, it's non-motorcycle-specific boots. A really good pair of work boots will support your ankles and protect your shins/feet as well as a typical touring-style motorcycle boot. The big drawback is that you're going to chew up the top of the left toe, from contact with your shifter.

But BOOTS, definitely. Sneakers do not cut it.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:47 AM   #44
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by IF13 View Post
You've a point.

After my accident, they gave me back my gloves. The reinforced knuckles were dented in. *shudders*

My friend rides without gloves. I honestly should push him into riding with them though. How he deals with the vibration and openness of it, idk. Thinking about it now he seems to be a typical squid: bad gear, Gixxer. Yep..I said it, first bike is a gixxer. But I can't say anything, I did get into a crash before him. Advice on this?
Sure. Show him this picture. This is what happens when you DO wear gloves... albeit cheap ones. Imagine what it would be like with zero protection.

Anyone who doesn't feel a burning desire to gear up need only do a Google image search on "road rash" to change their mind.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:50 AM   #45
TheDementedDrummer
Present. Somewhat.

Name: Neel

Motorcycle(s): 2012 KTM Duke 200, 2011 Ninja 250r, 2011 Ducati Monster 796, 2014 Kawasaki ZX10r

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Sure. Show him this picture. This is what happens when you DO wear gloves... albeit cheap ones. Imagine what it would be like with zero protection.

Anyone who doesn't feel a burning desire to gear up need only do a Google image search on "road rash" to change their mind.
My palms looked a lot like that after i crashed without gloves, and i was doing like 40.

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:53 AM   #46
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDementedDrummer View Post
My palms looked a lot like that after i crashed without gloves, and i was doing like 40.
That pic....

Ugh, I've seen it on another thread but it still makes me cringe.

It's on my FB now, hopefully he'll see it as an indirect advice.

EDIT: Now a crash pic of a squid with a gixxer....But that'd probably be too grotesque so let's not pass those around.

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:56 AM   #47
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Yes, overpants come with knee armor. Better ones come with hip pads too.

Get them to fit as snug as you're comfortable with. The whole point here is to have armor that protects what it's supposed to protect. Wear baggy pants and the moment you hit the ground the pads will move out of position.

FYI the elbow and shoulder armor in most jackets is good, CE-rated stuff. The back pads, however, are without exception a total joke. You can get CE-rated replacement back protector inserts.

If there's one thing you can get away with, it's non-motorcycle-specific boots. A really good pair of work boots will support your ankles and protect your shins/feet as well as a typical touring-style motorcycle boot. The big drawback is that you're going to chew up the top of the left toe, from contact with your shifter.

But BOOTS, definitely. Sneakers do not cut it.
That as my instructor say is the mark of courage (the shifter mark). But yeah, the padding on my back is....It's really soft. Revzilla has a replacement one for $25.00 that's CE rated so that's chump change compared to back surgery.

Old October 21st, 2013, 08:57 AM   #48
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
It's not 100% but...

Ask him/her to try riding fully geared one time. The feeling, comfort and added confidence normally sells itself from there.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 09:16 AM   #49
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
It's not 100% but...

Ask him/her to try riding fully geared one time. The feeling, comfort and added confidence normally sells itself from there.
It might help that we're roughly the same size since he'd have to find the gear first.

That added confidence would worry me though. Confidence on a gixxer spells trouble. But I'm sure he'll feel safer and feel cooler (power ranger mode) which should (hopefully) persuade him.

Old October 21st, 2013, 09:18 AM   #50
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

I'm ATGMTT...but I don't commute with my bike, if that matters.

My daily riding consists of short (~20 mins) rides to/from the gym. For those, and any trip around my town, I wear:

Shorty gloves, always
Textile pants (90% of the time) or jeans (10% of the time)
Full length boots (90% of the time) or riding shoes (10% of the time)
Depending on the outside temp, either a leather jacket (A* or Cortech) or t-shirt

I'm never full squid; but sometimes semi-squid. If I'm in jeans, I'll have a leather jacket on. Likewise if I'm in a t-shirt, I'll have my textile pants on.

On the weekends, if I'm doing more spirited riding in the mountains, I'm be in full leathers.
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 09:19 AM   #51
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
That added confidence would worry me though. Confidence on a gixxer spells trouble.

T i t for tat really in the end. Worry for no gear or worry for going too fast.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 10:08 AM   #52
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
.......As for overpants, do they usually come with knee pads?
Yes, they all come with CE knee pads and some with CE hips pads.
They also have a universal zipper than can attached to the jacket (yes, in a fall that zone gets exposed due to separation of both pieces) and accordion flexible fabric in key zones.

In order to get in and out avoiding removing the boots, I prefer leg-long zippers.

Some complain about the knee protectors moving much around and ditch it and replace it with internal knee-shin protectors that are belted over the regular pants.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 10:30 AM   #53
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I can't say that I wear atgatt because I don't. for commuting (which I have learned there are 3 points where I so much as have to let off the throttle to get there or back including a stop sign, a stop light, and my own driveway) I wear my icon stryker vest though due to the cold I am switching to my waterproof textile jacket that I normally only wear on threat of rain. I have only been on my motorcycle only once while moving without a helmet and that was showing my brother where the friction zone was, never left a walking/jogging pace. gloves are a must for me as not wearing them just feels all kinds of wrong on the handlebars. my motorcycle specific shoes and icon stryker knee guards are for when I go out for fun as that is when I wear all the gear I have since that is when I tend to ride on roads where I have to brake, corner, and have fun rather than 5 minutes of boring commute.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 10:33 AM   #54
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I always ride ATGATT, but the only time i ride with my one piece track suit is to, on, and from the track.

Good riding boots, overpants, jacket, gloves, and helmet among other pieces. As was said earlier, if I don't feel like gearing up I don't ride.which is why I don't ride to work, it takes me longer to gear up than it does just to drive in. But going anywhere else I'm on the bike. Yeah it's inconvenient to have to deal with the jacket on a warm day (i leave my overpants and boots on) but I either just carry and deal with it or lock it to the bike.

I've wrecked in jeans ages ago, and have a nice scar where the road tore my knee up. I won't give the road another chance to do that.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 10:39 AM   #55
grissom3310
ninjette.org member

Name: vin

Motorcycle(s): 250r

jacket, jeans and gloves

I don't have a full suit (can't afford it) but I have a Fulmer textile jacket, some heavy jeans and mountain bike gloves. I have my helmet on ALL THE TIME though.
grissom3310 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 03:30 PM   #56
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

Full gear does not mean full race suit. I ride every day and no longer even own a car. I use either my leather or textile jacket,Smx5 boots, full gauntlet gloves and over pants for my commute. For quick runs around time same gear only I prefer my supertech r boots and often skip the over pants.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 03:56 PM   #57
grissom3310
ninjette.org member

Name: vin

Motorcycle(s): 250r

I know I should and will....
grissom3310 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 21st, 2013, 04:03 PM   #58
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
It might help that we're roughly the same size since he'd have to find the gear first.

That added confidence would worry me though. Confidence on a gixxer spells trouble. But I'm sure he'll feel safer and feel cooler (power ranger mode) which should (hopefully) persuade him.
I believe you mean over-confidence.

Old October 21st, 2013, 04:05 PM   #59
bkh2
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2006 GSXR 750; 1983 CB750SC

"Skin grows back. Gear doesn't."
-Gixxer Rider
bkh2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2013, 03:50 PM   #60
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Quote:
in ATGATT mode on the road all the time, are you?

For me, I wear my jeans, some heavily structure high top sneakers, my now Icon Daytona jacket, and my Fieldsheer reinforced gauntlet style gloves. That's what I ride in.

I can't imagine having to always slip into the Dainese one piece suit each time I need to take a trip to 711.

Not trying to bump heads but that's just how I feel. Maybe I'm just talking more towards those who are always using their motorcycles. I mean if I only ride every so often, I wouldn't mind looking like I'm about to pull a Rossi on the road.

EDIT: Just to prevent anyone else from getting ticked off
I live across the street from my college campus so most of my riding is going a mile or less to class in a 35mph zone so I usually wear a t shirt and basketball shorts or sometimes jeans depending on the weather along with a full face helmet and gauntlet gloves.

If I'm going out for a ride with my friends or getting on the highway to commute back home I wear my 2 piece leather suit with Sidi ST race boots along with helmet and gauntlet gloves.

Haters gonna hate.

Old November 4th, 2013, 05:25 PM   #61
Insan3guy
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): 2015 zx6r

I can happily say that I'm ATGATT.
If it's a short enough trip that it's not worth gearing up for, then it's short enough to walk.
Insan3guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #62
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

I always ride with my leather jacket, full gauntlet gloves and Sidi boots. I choose not to wear overpants/leather pants, but I should.

If I'm going to be doing any sort of aggressive riding or being a weekend warrior, the Dainese 1 piece goes on with Knox Aegis back protector.

If I'm too lazy to put on the all the gear, then I just take the car. Even if it's just down the street to get gas, all the gear goes on.

Old November 5th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #63
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
I live across the street from my college campus so most of my riding is going a mile or less to class in a 35mph zone so I usually wear a t shirt and basketball shorts or sometimes jeans depending on the weather along with a full face helmet and gauntlet gloves.

If I'm going out for a ride with my friends or getting on the highway to commute back home I wear my 2 piece leather suit with Sidi ST race boots along with helmet and gauntlet gloves.

Haters gonna hate.
Honestly, I'm gonna hate on you more for the accelerated and unnecessary wear you're causing to your engine by repeatedly taking trips that are too short to let the engine fully warm up.

Less than one mile, really? Ever hear of a bicycle, or even walking, for Christ's sake.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 07:27 AM   #64
thurt88
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CRF250L, 2010 ninja 250r

I wear jacket, gloves and helmet. At most. Sometimes no jacket. I don't judge anyone else either.
thurt88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 11:55 AM   #65
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
Honestly, I'm gonna hate on you more for the accelerated and unnecessary wear you're causing to your engine by repeatedly taking trips that are too short to let the engine fully warm up.

Less than one mile, really? Ever hear of a bicycle, or even walking, for Christ's sake.
I live in the great state of Florida where it takes a minute or so for my bike to reach operating temperature and I ride it lightly anyways. My 250 is being built into a dedicated track bike so I was using my CBR1000RR for street use up until the other day when I traded her in for a 636

Old November 5th, 2013, 12:06 PM   #66
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
I've been doing a lot of local trips around town and I've been rocking a t shirt, jeans, and converse shoes. Oddly enough I always wear gloves though.

On all of my recent fun street rides I've been wearing a jacket, gloves and sometimes boots, with jeans.

I've been doing a lot dirt racing and off road stuff. My street riding habits are much calmer. I'm not out to go super crazy. Just commuting and convenience has become no. 1

So yes, as my attitude and wants change for street riding occasionally I'm sotgsott.

If I'm going to go berserk in the streets the race leathers go on. But I've been slowing down in the streets. Nothing to prove at all.
Describes me. Been on 2 wheels for 3/4's of my life. Been on the road for 2. I'm not some crazy adrenaline junkie, I'm just a moderate rider. I've ridden many times in a helmet, tshirt, jeans, vans, and gloves. I'm not saying I'll never crash, but i feel that I've had enough experience on the dirt to know my limitations. Obviously, if I'm going to blast through traffic in no gear, something bad is bound to happen. I view committing as driving a car. We don't wear racing gear in order to commute in the car. I wear the gear I'm
Comfortable with to ride. Now on the dirt, I am ATGATT. Crashing with gear on dirt absolutely sucks. I just feel the road is a lot safer than the dirt, even with the crazy drivers. You just need to anticipate their craziness.

My 2 cents.
Aurodox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #67
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Dude, asphalt is like 10-grit sandpaper. Skin has no resistance to sand paper.

You should not feel safe riding on that, no matter what your comparison to dirt is.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 01:10 PM   #68
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Just so we are clear I'm not saying my dirt riding makes me a superior street rider and be less accident prone. I'm talking risk mitigation. Because I get my jollies out on track I have very little reason to try to have fun in the street. I personally believe that most people crash because they are their own detriment. Yes the occasional freak incident happens when a car just runs you over. But usually accidents always have that extra detail of I was going to fast for my skill level and x,y, and z happened.

Look through the crash thread. Most of the downs involve only the rider and personal error.

I figure that going to the store the chances of me getting run over are pretty slim. The chances of me throwing it away are virtually non existent. So I decide to "gamble" if you will.

Gear is important. **** happens. But in all realistic terms think of it this way. Do you crash your car or street bike every time you drive or ride? I've been driving since I got my license on my 16th birthday. I've totaled two cars and only had those two accidents, which is more than most. I've driven 100s of thousands of times like most of you have. The statistics speak for themselves.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 01:17 PM   #69
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurodox View Post
We don't wear racing gear in order to commute in the car
I'll stop gearing up when commuting on the bike once they build motorcycles with seatbelts, airbags, side impact beams, crumple zones, and a nice protective cage of metal surrounding me. A cup holder would be nice too.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #70
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom King View Post
I'll stop gearing up when commuting on the bike once they build motorcycles with seatbelts, airbags, side impact beams, crumple zones, and a nice protective cage of metal surrounding me. A cup holder would be nice too.
hit up @Jiggles he can probably help you with that.
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 01:32 PM   #71
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCam303 View Post
Just so we are clear I'm not saying my dirt riding makes me a superior street rider and be less accident prone. I'm talking risk mitigation. Because I get my jollies out on track I have very little reason to try to have fun in the street. I personally believe that most people crash because they are their own detriment. Yes the occasional freak incident happens when a car just runs you over. But usually accidents always have that extra detail of I was going to fast for my skill level and x,y, and z happened.

Look through the crash thread. Most of the downs involve only the rider and personal error.

I figure that going to the store the chances of me getting run over are pretty slim. The chances of me throwing it away are virtually non existent. So I decide to "gamble" if you will.

Gear is important. **** happens. But in all realistic terms think of it this way. Do you crash your car or street bike every time you drive or ride? I've been driving since I got my license on my 16th birthday. I've totaled two cars and only had those two accidents, which is more than most. I've driven 100s of thousands of times like most of you have. The statistics speak for themselves.
I used to think like this when I was younger and less mature. I've never crashed on the street so on the hot summer days I had no problem riding around in just a T-shirt and helmet.

Then one day I realized that it just wasn't worth the risk. All it takes is for you to lose your concentration at the wrong time, or have something totally unexpected happen and you're on the ground. Doesn't matter how good of a rider you are. Sh*t happens and I want to be prepared.

Plus I take pride in being ATTGATT, since around here almost no one else is.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #72
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
It's a two way street. You can be the best driver out there (although I doubt that), but you can't control other drivers. Gearing up not only protects myself, but also protects me from potential other drivers or variables (animals, road hazards, etc). I don't understand how anyone can see it one way, as if they control their riding (100%) and what happens, that isn't even logical. Personal error, still means the potential to go down and hit into something... wouldn't you want to be protected if that was the case?
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 5th, 2013, 11:33 PM   #73
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

jacket helmet gloves... work boots if im going to work. full gp-plus if not. all i have are jeans unfortunately .
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2013, 06:13 PM   #74
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

For the past couple years, ATGATT.

Only thing I've been skimping out on is back protector and knee armor on my regular commute from time to time.

I really ought to upgrade the armor in my jacket, though.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 8th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #75
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBizzle View Post
I usually wear a t shirt and basketball shorts

Haters gonna hate.
Rarely do I hate on this riding suit