ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 21st, 2014, 07:03 AM   #1
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250r

Observations from Harley Riders

Like it matters anyway but... I ride with about 35 guys on and off. 35 of them ride Harley's. All big twins. No Sportsters in our crowd. The smallest motor anybody has is the 88CI (1450cc) twin cam. Most of us have 103ci or 110ci (1800cc). We all ride far and hard. Nobody is a bar to bar stay in town rider. With that said.. everybody in the group dislikes anything that isn't Harley. Sport bikes are for "the other guys" who maybe someday will graduate up to a Harley. Sounds arrogant right? Yep.
I ride a 2006 Custom HD Wideglide. Custom everything... custom paint, loud as hell, fast as hell, chrome everywhere. Its like rolling jewelry. My wife loves it and I almost have to sign autographs when I park it.
Where am I going with this? Well.. my riding buds won't even ride with sport bike riders. If you don't have a Harley... find somebody else to ride with. If you have a Harley Davidson 1200cc Sportster.. it must be your wife or girlfriends bike or you must be a beginner and one day you will graduated up to a big twin.
They wouldn't be caught dead on a sport bike... not even a Hayabusa or a ZX14R. So far a few of them have stopped by the house to shoot the breeze and just hang out and for the heck of it.. and because nobody could see them.. I said, hey, why don't you take my 250r out for a little spin around the neighborhood. I had to warn them though...
#1. The brakes are so good they will make you think your Harley brakes are broken.
#2. It is so balanced and light you will feel invincible.
#3. Don't be afraid to shift around 8K to 10K rpms.
#4. I paid less for this bike than you paid for your seat and luggage rack on your Harley.

So far... 3 guys have ridden my little green monster. All 3 came back after doing multiple laps around the neighborhood with big fat grins on their faces. They all admitted that they were wrong.. dead wrong about their opinions on this little 250. All saying the same thing.. holy crap this bike must be a blast to ride around town and it must be awesome in the twisties and they are shocked that its only a 250cc motor.
I don't know what the point of my post is other than there is a reason that the Ninja 250r has been a best seller for almost 30 years and a killer on the track in the 250cc class. Its an all around great bike and this is coming from an owner who learned on one many years ago and went through just about every type of bike imaginable since and recently got back into a 250 again and is loving it.
jgcable is offline   Reply With Quote

6 out of 6 members found this post helpful.

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:32 AM   #2
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 2 Honda Monkeys, Polini & GRC mini GP

Nice to meet another rider who also rides a Harley big twin as well as a ninjette! I don't know why riders are often so polarized, some of us like ALL varieties of motorcycles. There are plenty of sportbike riders on this forum who bad-mouth Harleys, and plenty of Harley riders out there who have no use for the "plastic fantastics". Small minds on both parts.

I certainly agree with what you said about the brakes. Although the Harley brakes do work, I feel like I suddenly have power brakes when I go ride the little Ninja! Having a Harley and a Ninjette is having the best of both worlds!

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?.
misfitsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:37 AM   #3
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

I can't grow a handlebar mustache, so I don't think I'd fit the "image" even if I wanted one

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 21st, 2014, 10:02 AM   #4
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
I still have my balls and my wife still likes sex with me, so no harley in my future.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 21st, 2014, 10:21 AM   #5
Memengkamatis
ninjette.org member

Name: AL

Motorcycle(s): ex250r, vulcan 800b, k1200r

Obs frm H-D Riders.

All my Harleys were stolen within ten years. After my fourth Harley was picked, I used the insurance money and bought a Kaw Vulcan 800B Classic. Wearing new custom paint and stripped of all logos and insignia; it looked like a H-D replica. It's a '98 and I still have it. I also have an 06' BMW K1200R and an 07' Ninjette I commute with. All three have been to the Dragon at one time or another. I love the Ninjette most of all.
Memengkamatis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 11:04 AM   #6
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Name: Mick

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcable View Post
I ride a 2006 Custom HD Wideglide..... and I almost have to sign autographs when I park it.
Desmoluci is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 11:10 AM   #7
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmoluci View Post
That's the Harley arrogance shining through! Harley boots, jacket, glove, glasses, helmet ( I am the only one that wears one out of 35 bikes), Harley wax, key chain, vest, t-shirt, etc.....

Did you know that Harley owns their own oil wells and even their cows (for their leather products) are Harley Davidson raised?

Old April 21st, 2014, 11:14 AM   #8
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

Motorcycle(s): Yellow '04 stocker, '89 FJ1200, '87 Ducati Paso, '71 Yamaha XS1b, '99 KLR650, '81 FXE 80, '97 KTM 200EXC , etc

Here's mine. I love all bikes, it's my weakness.

Old April 21st, 2014, 11:34 AM   #9
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
I still have my balls and my wife still likes sex with me, so no harley in my future.
I know your wife and you just made me laugh so hard.

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 11:39 AM   #10
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Shoot, when they are all decked out in Harley gear it is confusing, you think they are famous and sponsored by Harley, then they tell you they paid for all their gear, and are now a walking billboard for harley. I am surprised i have not gotten into any fights during Sturgis Bike week.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old April 21st, 2014, 11:39 AM   #11
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, 2 Honda Monkeys, Polini & GRC mini GP

Quote:
Here's mine. I love all bikes, it's my weakness.
Nice shovel! I had a shovel Superglide years ago. These days I ride an Evo Heritage Softail. It is, without a doubt, my most prized possession!

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?.

Old April 21st, 2014, 12:16 PM   #12
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Name: Garrett

Motorcycle(s): ZX-3R (ok, ex300)

Quote:
I ride a 2006 Custom HD Wideglide. Custom everything... custom paint, loud as hell, fast as hell, chrome everywhere. Its like rolling jewelry. My wife loves it and I almost have to sign autographs when I park it.
gonna need pics boss..
GHill762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 12:25 PM   #13
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHill762 View Post
gonna need pics boss..
And maybe an autograph!

But seriously, photos are always appreciated.

Old April 21st, 2014, 03:28 PM   #14
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Quote:
gonna need pics boss..

Old April 21st, 2014, 03:37 PM   #15
Boosted139
ninjette.org guru

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2009 Triumph Daytona 675

Gonna be honest... was expecting something more... but still a nice bike.
Boosted139 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 03:41 PM   #16
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I personally dislike green, particularly dark green, but that's a pretty nice looking bike.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Harley over the weekend, went home to think it over, that bike sold within an hour after I left.. Not sure if it was a good or bad move passing on it.. I really like Harley's but I also have far too much fun on my 300 to go cruiser as an only mike right now. I think I'll get a Harley as a second bike at some point.

Old April 21st, 2014, 03:59 PM   #17
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I used to be on the side of sport bike riders who thought Harleys were overpriced junk. After spending a few days with a Dyna superglide this winter my opinion changed.

Now I've got nothing against Harleys and could even see myself owning one. There's something about the rumble of the big v-twin and looking down at the gas tank and seeing that #1 in stars and stripes that I miss.

I think if more sport bike riders rode a Harley the would see the appeal, and I did get a lot of compliments on the bike.

ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 05:46 PM   #18
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I personally dislike green, particularly dark green, but that's a pretty nice looking bike.

I almost pulled the trigger on a Harley over the weekend, went home to think it over, that bike sold within an hour after I left.. Not sure if it was a good or bad move passing on it.. I really like Harley's but I also have far too much fun on my 300 to go cruiser as an only mike right now. I think I'll get a Harley as a second bike at some point.
Its called dragonfly pearl/vivid black. The color flip flops from green to emerald blue to gold. The factory only made 234 of them total. Fuel injected 1450ci 6 speed with rhinehart 2 into 1 exhaust, stage 1 intake, chrome everything. It was 18k new and i added about 4k into it in chrome and pipes. Hayden tensioner, baker ipb, learherpro bags, etc....

Old April 21st, 2014, 05:47 PM   #19
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
I used to be on the side of sport bike riders who thought Harleys were overpriced junk. After spending a few days with a Dyna superglide this winter my opinion changed.

Now I've got nothing against Harleys and could even see myself owning one. There's something about the rumble of the big v-twin and looking down at the gas tank and seeing that #1 in stars and stripes that I miss.

I think if more sport bike riders rode a Harley the would see the appeal, and I did get a lot of compliments on the bike.

Very nice bro.

Old April 21st, 2014, 05:49 PM   #20
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted139 View Post
Gonna be honest... was expecting something more... but still a nice bike.
Thanks..

Old April 21st, 2014, 05:55 PM   #21
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
harleys are fun to look at and listen to.

i don't like riding them.

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:02 PM   #22
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
Shoot, when they are all decked out in Harley gear it is confusing, you think they are famous and sponsored by Harley, then they tell you they paid for all their gear, and are now a walking billboard for harley. I am surprised i have not gotten into any fights during Sturgis Bike week.
And I look like a walking billboard for Alpinestars and a wannabe racer when I'm wearing my leathers and race boots... What's your point?
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2014, 06:36 PM   #23
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
And I look like a walking billboard for Alpinestars and a wannabe racer when I'm wearing my leathers and race boots... What's your point?
difference is one set of gear does it's job whereas the other set of gear costs twice as much and does nothing.

Old April 21st, 2014, 07:34 PM   #24
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

I like Harleys. I would ride one if I could afford one.

Old April 21st, 2014, 09:04 PM   #25
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
And Alpinestars appreciates you paying them to advertise for them. but it really means that I am not going to be a walking billboard for something that does not pay me to do it.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:54 AM   #26
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I love Harleys. I've been riding them since 1972 when I got my first FLH. I put 80,000 trouble free miles on that old tank. I've had too many to list (about 40 or more) some of the rare ones too (XLCR, XR1000 I raced in 84, Liberty Edition 76 Sportster). I'm looking at getting a new Low Rider ( I had an 87 Anniversary Edition) and/or Deluxe soon. If you've never ridden one you wouldn't understand the loyalty. I've never had a problem with any of them, except crashing the XR1000 almost everytime in practice before a race (but never in a race) and hyperextending my knee kick starting a Sportster.

Sportbikes are fun, it's great blasting off and flying through corners, racing is a rush, they sound like a old F1 car, but there is something special about a Harley.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:25 AM   #27
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

nice post...

it's not just the Harley riders that need to see the other side, sportbike riders could probably benefit from riding a Harley.

I have zero desire to own one, but I also haven't ridden one to understand the draw they have. If given the chance, I'd go for a cruise to see what it's all about.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:52 AM   #28
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Nothing wrong with a good cruiser. I could see myself owning a Softail at some point, I really like the style, especially the Slim and Breakout. To me motorcycling is about adventure, both sportbikes and cruisers can fulfill my want for adventure equally.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:13 AM   #29
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I will admit to not liking anything cruiser regardless of the badge it sports.

To me, its always been a "eww chrome" thing. Aesthetically they are not appealing to me to look at and just seem too big, noisy, and basically excessive.

Then I rode one. Now I have a concrete reason to not like them. For me, the seating position was incredibly uncomfortable. That, combined with the deafening noise and bone jarring vibration, made for a less than ideal ride.

I will not fault anyone if they find the cruiser to be their kind of bike, or a dual sport, or a standard, or a sport. To each their own in style, comfort, and preference. That's why manufacturers make so many different types of bikes.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:20 AM   #30
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Cruisers come in all types. Not just chrome and not just loud. One of my riding buddys has a Honda Shadow w/ stock pipes. It's actually quieter than my FZ6 w/ stock pipes. It doesn't seem to vibrate any worse than the FZ6 either.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:24 AM   #31
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
LOL it actually was a Shadow that I rode.

Its all down to what you like, whether 2-, 3-, or 4- wheels.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:48 AM   #32
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Well In that case I guess you can take you can keep your vibration and comfort comments. A bike that's comfy for one person might be unbearable for someone else. The noise thing is bogus though, sportbikes are just as loud if not louder than cruisers.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 09:56 AM   #33
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

Im sure im a bit biased since the only harley i ever rode was a low rider with some pretty damn high bars. I hated every moments of it, i rode it in the parking lot and said no thanks to my friend who had it. I would like a to try a different one, but I am in no rush. I think i would rather a Vmax or diavel over a harley to be honest if i was going for a cruiser.
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:17 AM   #34
misfitsailor
Ninjette Jockey

The grass is always greener...

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 10:49 AM   #35
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
Im sure im a bit biased since the only harley i ever rode was a low rider with some pretty damn high bars. I hated every moments of it, i rode it in the parking lot and said no thanks to my friend who had it. I would like a to try a different one, but I am in no rush. I think i would rather a Vmax or diavel over a harley to be honest if i was going for a cruiser.
I like the diavel as well.. it's somewhere in between a cruiser and a sport bike and would fit right in riding with either..

Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:06 AM   #36
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

How well does the V-Rod compare to the Diavel? They "appear" similar to me.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:07 AM   #37
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfitsailor View Post
The grass is always greener...

Exactly why there is a need for N+1 bikes, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:18 AM   #38
GHill762
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
Exactly why there is a need for N+1 bikes, where N is the number of bikes currently owned.

Old April 22nd, 2014, 11:44 AM   #39
Desmoluci
Threadkiller

This was so what I was hoping for when H-D was developing the new engine in the '90's....

They made this instead.

Oh well

Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:01 PM   #40
GHill762
ninjette.org member

I like the Vrod, particularly the ones with the aluminum finish, minus those ugly solid rims..