http://www.palmbeachpost.com/ap/ap/f...orcycle/njcbd/

http://www.soflasportbikes.com/forum...ffstetter.html

http://www.motorsport.com/automotive...da-track-days/

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2014, 10:13 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
rip Bob
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 29th, 2014, 11:08 PM   #3
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

RIP fellow rider.

I have a question. Since his throttle was stuck, couldn't he have pressed down on the clutch lever all the way to make the bike no longer accelerate? Yes his motor will continue reving but it will no longer accelerate. Or are race bikes made different? Or is this a "No no" on bikes in racing or just in general?

Please excuse my newbieness

Old December 30th, 2014, 07:32 AM   #4
accumack
ninjette.org member

Name: jim

Motorcycle(s): honda crf230l & 2013 ninja 300se wife has Honda crf230l & honda cbr250r repsol

What about the kill switch?
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #5
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
That sucks.

But yeah, why not pull the clutch or hit the kill switch?

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2014, 07:48 AM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
That sucks.

But yeah, why not pull the clutch or hit the kill switch?
I'm sure he just panicked. Sounds like he bailed off of it when it left the track.

That reminds me of the fairly recent issues with a Toyota Prius where the guy was going like 100 mph on the hwy because the throttle was stuck. Didn't think to pop it into neutral I guess...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 30th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #7
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

terrible news
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2014, 08:47 AM   #8
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

I always tell my wife that if her brakes ever give out or throttle ever get stuck on her car, to just put her car in neutral, press the hazards lights, and coast until the car slows down, pull over to the shoulder lane, and use the emergency brake when the car slows down enough. I practice this on my car very often so it became second nature to me.

Putting the car in neutral helps the car stop a lot faster when there is an unexpected reason to stop very suddenly.
This has helped me avoid accidents when cars decide to stop all of a sudden in front of me or when they decide to stop for no reason at a green light in a 45 mph zone.

Of course, the GOAL is not to come to a complete stop, but to avoid the accident entirely.

Keep safe out there everyone

Last futzed with by Ninja Rob; December 30th, 2014 at 08:56 AM. Reason: .
Ninja Rob is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 30th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #9
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

Putting the car in neutral helps the car stop a lot faster when there is an unexpected reason to stop very suddenly.
This has helped me avoid accidents when cars decide to stop all of a sudden in front of me or when they decide to stop for no reason at a green light in a 45 mph zone.

I have to disagree with this, shifting into neutral doesn't help braking, in fact it makes it worse due to the loss of compression braking from a closed throttle with the vehicle still in gear. Also wasting the time and concentration to shift to neutral is better spent on braking hard and/or steering to avoid an obstacle. Shifting to neutral also loses from option to accelerate to avoid a collision. I do agree that shifting to neutral would work for removing the acceleration from a stuck,wide open throttle but shutting off the ignition is a better option.

Old December 30th, 2014, 10:48 AM   #10
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Rob View Post
RIP fellow rider.

I have a question. Since his throttle was stuck, couldn't he have pressed down on the clutch lever all the way to make the bike no longer accelerate? Yes his motor will continue reving but it will no longer accelerate. Or are race bikes made different? Or is this a "No no" on bikes in racing or just in general?

Please excuse my newbieness

well he was getting off the gas so he was probably starting to brake/downshift i'm guessing. so he probably only had a very very short window in which he could even do anything about it. he probably just didn't have time to do anything and his rear probably slid out on the brakes in a bad spot and he went straight off. my guess from the description. very tragic accident. sad.

but yes this is what clutch+kill switch is for

Old December 30th, 2014, 11:08 AM   #11
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Just read all the links, so sad to read the thoughts and memories riders are sharing.

What happened to the rider who bailed? Is he okay? With such a tragic accident, I feel bad for him having to carry the burden of Mr. Hoffstetter's death. I hope he has the support needed to accept it was an accident and does not let the feeling of fault weigh too heavy on him.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #12
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post

I have to disagree with this, shifting into neutral doesn't help braking, in fact it makes it worse due to the loss of compression braking from a closed throttle with the vehicle still in gear. Also wasting the time and concentration to shift to neutral is better spent on braking hard and/or steering to avoid an obstacle. Shifting to neutral also loses from option to accelerate to avoid a collision. I do agree that shifting to neutral would work for removing the acceleration from a stuck,wide open throttle but shutting off the ignition is a better option.
I agree with you that keeping it in Drive would help when having to quickly accelerate to move out of the way,
however, you can still steer out of the way as the car is slowing down. It could be the way I drive, but I am not the type of person to tail-gate other cars, I leave a good amount of distance between cars and I hardly ever have to slam on the breaks to come to an immediate stop. I also look at the car ahead of the car in front of me to see when traffic will be stopping. I do know that not everyone drives like that.

I disagree with you on the wasting time shifting into the neutral gear. Moving the foot to the brake and shifting the car into neutral can be done simultaneously. I learned to drive manual transmission at a very young age so I am used to having one hand on the steering wheel and the other on the shift lever. The stopping technique I use depends on the situation I am in.

Old December 30th, 2014, 03:10 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Lemme help ya'lls out with something...

When ya got the time and attention to spare...(rare, unless planned ahead of time) such as going slow on a slippery surface in a cage.... N is your friend. It takes me about 30 mins to drive 11 miles to town in a cage down big hills covered with ice and snow in the off season. N will save your arse, been doing it for years, and I dunno on a bike, sooooo many factors, debate on that is a different thread, but it is not this thread. Respect to those who have passed ya know....

There is no point as it has already been done. Bob is gone, let us celebrate him instead of debated what could have been. He gave all for others, simple as that really and respect to him and his family.

geeezzz....

Old December 30th, 2014, 04:27 PM   #14
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Damn. Poor guy.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 30th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #15
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Lemme help ya'lls out with something...

When ya got the time and attention to spare...(rare, unless planned ahead of time) such as going slow on a slippery surface in a cage.... N is your friend. It takes me about 30 mins to drive 11 miles to town in a cage down big hills covered with ice and snow in the off season. N will save your arse, been doing it for years, and I dunno on a bike, sooooo many factors, debate on that is a different thread, but it is not this thread. Respect to those who have passed ya know....

There is no point as it has already been done. Bob is gone, let us celebrate him instead of debated what could have been. He gave all for others, simple as that really and respect to him and his family.

geeezzz....

You're right. I didn't intend for this to go into a discussion.

RIP Rider.

Old December 30th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #16
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

It's all good brah...

Old December 30th, 2014, 07:10 PM   #17
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
that is really sad. and so unexpected, I would have worried a lot more about the riders.

Old December 30th, 2014, 11:00 PM   #18
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Just read all the links, so sad to read the thoughts and memories riders are sharing.

What happened to the rider who bailed? Is he okay? With such a tragic accident, I feel bad for him having to carry the burden of Mr. Hoffstetter's death. I hope he has the support needed to accept it was an accident and does not let the feeling of fault weigh too heavy on him.
I have not known anything new about the rider.
I have been told that he was in the Intermediate group of a regular track day (not a race) and this happened at the end of a long straight section, where bikes reach top speed.
Witnesses state that he tried to laid the bike down, but he fell or jump out and that the bike re-gain stability and continued rolling towards the turn.
It is not clear if the engine was off at the moment of impact.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote