ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:29 AM   #1
Blv19
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Brock

Motorcycle(s): Rmz 450f TTR 110 pitbike

Ninja 250 vs ninja 650r

Okay so I got the itch for a street bike. I've been riding all my life and currently race motocross. I have an Rmz 450f. I'm 17 but back when I was 14 I had a ninja 250 and I loved it but I sold it so I could get a truck. Now I want a bother bike but I'm torn between either a ninja 250 or 650r or maybe even a Ktm 390 RC. I don't wanna bite off more than I can chew and die but I also don't wanna end up bored. I need to be able to ride it on the highway home from college which is 1-2 hour ride. Keep in mind price of insurance and bike price.
Blv19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:31 AM   #2
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blv19 View Post
Okay so I got the itch for a street bike. I've been riding all my life and currently race motocross. I have an Rmz 450f. I'm 17 but back when I was 14 I had a ninja 250 and I loved it but I sold it so I could get a truck. Now I want a bother bike but I'm torn between either a ninja 250 or 650r or maybe even a Ktm 390 RC. I don't wanna bite off more than I can chew and die but I also don't wanna end up bored. I need to be able to ride it on the highway home from college which is 1-2 hour ride. Keep in mind price of insurance and bike price.

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:33 AM   #3
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
check insurance rates.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 16th, 2015, 09:47 AM   #4
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Perhaps you should check out the 300s. I take mine on 95 with no problems. I'm not on it for 1-2 hours but still. I dont know what a 650 is for insurance but the 300 is cheap for full coverage here.

Just throwing it out there.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2015, 10:02 AM   #5
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

The Ninja 650 is an under rated bike my son has one it is not as exciting as a CBR 6500 or GSXR 600 but you can ride it all day, he rode 500 miles in a day no problem. It has a great motor has been very reliable, it does not have the charisma of the 300 but for riding there is no comparison between a 300 and a 650.

Steve

Old April 16th, 2015, 05:33 PM   #6
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Welcome, I would check insurance first.

Old April 16th, 2015, 05:39 PM   #7
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I'd say check the insurance rates

the duke 390 likely won't be the bike for you due to how aggressive the body positioning is, almost straight supersport body position, which doesn't work as well on highway. It can be done but you won't be as comfortable.
250/300 you can't go wrong with but you could be annoyed since the bikes shortcomings do come out on highway when you try to pass without already having momentum.
Ninja 650 is a good bike, especially if you get an older one. You can lower the handlebars to give it a more aggressive feel without going as far as a supersport or an rc390 if you want to as well (something I'd do since they're super high bars) you'll be comfortable on the highway for sure on that bike since that's what it was really designed for.

Insurance rates are pretty key, a 650 tends to not be that bad on insurance unless you have a record for speeding already.

also tire expenses and things like that come into play, the 250 will be the best bang for your buck but the 650 does a lot that the 250 doesn't really do and that really benefits for highway riding

Old April 16th, 2015, 06:12 PM   #8
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
I'd say check the insurance rates

the duke 390 likely won't be the bike for you due to how aggressive the body positioning is, almost straight supersport body position, which doesn't work as well on highway. It can be done but you won't be as comfortable.
250/300 you can't go wrong with but you could be annoyed since the bikes shortcomings do come out on highway when you try to pass without already having momentum.
Ninja 650 is a good bike, especially if you get an older one. You can lower the handlebars to give it a more aggressive feel without going as far as a supersport or an rc390 if you want to as well (something I'd do since they're super high bars) you'll be comfortable on the highway for sure on that bike since that's what it was really designed for.

Insurance rates are pretty key, a 650 tends to not be that bad on insurance unless you have a record for speeding already.

also tire expenses and things like that come into play, the 250 will be the best bang for your buck but the 650 does a lot that the 250 doesn't really do and that really benefits for highway riding

Insurance is key though.
When I tried on the 636, it felt amazing. The Body positioning, the height everything was almost perfect. The 899 is perfect though, nothing comes remotely closer for me. Nyhoo I am deviating off topic. Could I get the 636, hell yes. Could I afford the insurance, hell no.
If you can I'd say the 650 for all the reasons people have already pointed out.

Old April 16th, 2015, 06:14 PM   #9
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
I feel the same about the R6

can I afford an R6, not at the moment :'(
would it be a good idea for me to get an R6, sure as a track bike but hell no as a street bike
would my insurance be remotely reasonable on an R6, no...but I have a record

will I own an R6 someday, hell yeah I'm gonna get one to track/race someday

Moral of the story, even if you can't get the bike you really want now you can still get it later on. Approach it with a mentality of needing to earn it and everything gets easier.

except according to the rules of the forum I should have a garage full of R6's

Old April 16th, 2015, 06:25 PM   #10
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
I feel the same about the R6

can I afford an R6, not at the moment :'(
would it be a good idea for me to get an R6, sure as a track bike but hell no as a street bike
would my insurance be remotely reasonable on an R6, no...but I have a record

will I own an R6 someday, hell yeah I'm gonna get one to track/race someday

Moral of the story, even if you can't get the bike you really want now you can still get it later on. Approach it with a mentality of needing to earn it and everything gets easier.

except according to the rules of the forum I should have a garage full of R6's
LMFAO xD

Who knows, something better might come along that makes you go

I'm facing an insurance dilemma myself. I'm 24 with just an year of M2 under me so they bloody well quoted me 5100 a year...for a bloody 250. I love my bike and all but that's more than what's she worth.
I asked them if I hypothetically got an R6 or a 636 how much would it cost me then.
Their answer - I can't even give a quote for that unless and until you have a full M or 2 years under your belt.
That 5100 drops to 2000 when I turn 25 at the end of may, which is the reason why my riding season hasn't even started. Apparently you drop a third one down there when you turn 25 which makes you extra wise on the road or something.

Rant aside, don't get something you can't afford insurance on. A person I knew got a 10R without getting quote, they quoted him 1000 a month.....he ended up selling the 10R(in brilliant condition) for less than what he paid for it a month later.

Old April 16th, 2015, 06:30 PM   #11
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
It's possible I may find something better, but the R6 is one of the best bikes I've had the pleasure of riding and it is a truly legitimate racing platform

Old April 16th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #12
Baron
Urban Legend

Quote:
It's possible I may find something better, but the R6 is one of the best bikes I've had the pleasure of riding and it is a truly legitimate racing platform
Agreed.

Old April 16th, 2015, 08:48 PM   #13
Blv19
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Brock

Motorcycle(s): Rmz 450f TTR 110 pitbike

Talking

Thanks for all the responses! As for my driving record lol it's 100% clean. Not because I'm
A good driver- I just don't get caught 😂 except for this one time when I roasted my tires on my truck RIHT in front of a cop. Haha but he was cool and just gave me a verbal warning. Insurance will still be high so I'll end up just getting liability. I'm leaning forward one of these two used 2009 ninja 650rs for $3500-3900 seems like a good deal. I'm
Gonna invest in frame sliders when I get it tho since I can only afford liability.
Blv19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 16th, 2015, 08:50 PM   #14
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

When you all are talking about insurance, do you mean liability insurance? I.e. if you hit somebody and it's your fault, you pay their expenses?

Because if you have medical insurance and are getting a modestly priced bike, there is no reason in the world to get full insurance.

Old April 16th, 2015, 08:59 PM   #15
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blv19 View Post
Insurance will still be high so I'll end up just getting liability. I'm leaning forward one of these two used 2009 ninja 650rs for $3500-3900 seems like a good deal. I'm
Gonna invest in frame sliders when I get it tho since I can only afford liability.

Always get under-insured motorist. Insurance is there to save you when you need it. If you get hit by someone w/o a license or insurance or if you get hit in a hit and run the medical bills fall on your own insurance.

Skipping collision is acceptable since the bikes are only worth a couple grand. Comprehensive is a good idea to have as well just in case, it tends to be cheaper as well. Just get under insured so you don't regret not getting it if you end up needing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liberpolly View Post
When you all are talking about insurance, do you mean liability insurance? I.e. if you hit somebody and it's your fault, you pay their expenses?

Because if you have medical insurance and are getting a modestly priced bike, there is no reason in the world to get full insurance.
liability, collision, comprehensive. If you want to skip one skip collision, it'll give you the biggest savings and it only covers the bike if you are the one responsible for the incident. Comprehensive covers things like hitting a deer "act of god", stolen bike, bike getting hit in a parking lot hit & run and is generally cheap so it's worth it. Liability you really want for the under-insured so your health insurance isn't as stressed by a potential incident. Medical bills can skyrocket very easily so having a bigger safety margin before you pay more than just your co-pay out of pocket helps

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:05 PM   #16
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

Quote:
Liability you really want for the under-insured so your health insurance isn't as stressed by a potential incident. Medical bills can skyrocket very easily so having a bigger safety margin before you pay more than just your co-pay out of pocket helps
What in the world are you talking about? What does it mean "stressing health insurance"? Does it break when you are too sick? Why would you end up "paying more than just your co-pay out of pocket"?

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:07 PM   #17
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Full Coverage is the way to go for motorcycle(toy) insurance. You hit someone liability will cover the the other person's vehicle, but your bike will be totaled and nothing to show for it.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:08 PM   #18
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
health/medical runs out eventually, you're really stressing yourself not the insurance if you get close

I've known a few people who have run out of insurance after suffering serious injuries and had ridiculous bills as a result of it

If you don't exceed the limit that your plan has you just pay your portion and the insurance covers the rest. If you do then anything over 25grand (or whatever your limit is) is out of pocket

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:09 PM   #19
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
What in the world are you talking about? What does it mean "stressing health insurance"? Does it break when you are too sick? Why would you end up "paying more than just your co-pay out of pocket"?
Bodily injury is important insurance for motorcycle riders.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:11 PM   #20
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14

think about the injuries that you can get and then think about the medical bills for said injuries. My BI covers up to some obscene amount in the half million dollar range but I could see how I could theoretically still exceed that amount if I were involved in a serious enough incident

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #21
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
Full Coverage is the way to go for motorcycle(toy) insurance. You hit someone liability will cover the the other person's vehicle, but your bike will be totaled and nothing to show for it.
OTOH, if you don't hit anyone and noone hits you, you've just wasted what could amount to the price of a new bike on buying a bigger yacht for an insurance company CEO.

If you have super expensive bike, sure, get full coverage. If you have $3000 bike, get an insurance quote for a full coverage, buy liability only, and put whatever you saved on insurance into a saving account. By the end of the year, you are more likely to get with a nice lump sum than without a bike.

It's all just a game of probabilities. You can win it if you are honest with yourself.

Liability, on the other hand, is lawyer-proofing yourself. Don't **** with that one, they'll ruin you.

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #22
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:

think about the injuries that you can get and then think about the medical bills for said injuries. My BI covers up to some obscene amount in the half million dollar range but I could see how I could theoretically still exceed that amount if I were involved in a serious enough incident
What if you were involved in such accident when walking on the street?

In other words, why do you think paying for extra medical insurance for riding a motorcycle is better than paying for extra catastrophic insurance?

If you run the numbers, you will see it's much, much worse - motorcycling is high-risk activity, so upping your health insurance limit within context of motorcycle insurance is much more expensive that upping your health insurance limit with insurance company that doesn't ask whether you are riding a motorcycle.

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:23 PM   #23
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
It's a game of probabilities where the negative possibility is far more severe than the positive possibility is good.

Personally i'd rather spend the extra $400/yr since there is absolutely no way that $400 will be enough to cover my ass in any moderate to severe incident

I have both upped, for me it was actually cheaper to up the motorcycle insurance than the medical insurance, but that's because I've used my medical insurance numerous times across the past few years and haven't used the bike insurance yet.

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:26 PM   #24
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
health/medical runs out eventually, you're really stressing yourself not the insurance if you get close

I've known a few people who have run out of insurance after suffering serious injuries and had ridiculous bills as a result of it
These people would be much better off if they bought better health insurance, instead of paying into motorcycle insurance. They would also be covered when injured when not on a motorcycle.

Motorcycle insurance is a scam to get people to pay higher rates for the same product.

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:27 PM   #25
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
I disagree but I'm at the upper limits of my insurance across the board so we clearly have differing views on the subject

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #26
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
only getting liability insurance is a stupid joke

it's like riding a motorcycle without health insurance.

it's a great idea until something happens, and then you're flat out dry ****ed in the ass with no warning.

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:30 PM   #27
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
I have both upped, for me it was actually cheaper to up the motorcycle insurance than the medical insurance, but that's because I've used my medical insurance numerous times across the past few years and haven't used the bike insurance yet.
Ok, in this case you're exception from the rule - although I don't understand how your past usage of health insurance affects your rates - isn't it illegal under Obamacare?

For me, it would be more than 10 times cheaper to buy extra catastrophic health insurance, than to buy full motorcycle insurance for the same coverage. And it's true for vast majority of people.

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:31 PM   #28
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
its a terrible idea to not have health insurance. get health insurance. now.

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:34 PM   #29
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
medical/health insurance rates change based on risk like any other insurance

I am considered high risk medically, therefore it costs more for me. I'm not sure if it is the nature of why I used it, or if it is the result of a very very long list of autoimmune disorders and heart defects that run in my family, or even the fact that I've used it fairly regularly that increases the cost but I'm very sure it's legal for them to hike up rates on high-risk clients. This because it is illegal for an insurance company to fail to turn a profit

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:48 PM   #30
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
medical/health insurance rates change based on risk like any other insurance
No, under Obamacare it's illegal.

Edit: here it is: http://www.webmd.com/health-insuranc...ing-conditions

Q: Will there be a limit as to how high a premium insurance companies can charge if you have a pre-existing condition?
A: Yes. As of 2014, insurers cannot charge consumers different rates for health insurance because of health status or gender.
You can be charged more for your age, however, with older people paying a higher premium than young people. But that increased charge is capped at no more than three times the standard rate.

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:49 PM   #31
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
its a terrible idea to not have health insurance. get health insurance. now.
Did anyone here advocate not having health insurance? I must've missed it...

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:50 PM   #32
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
No, under Obamacare it's illegal. Want me to google chapter and verse?
illegal to profile or illegal to change rates based on usage

bc illegal to profile would be retarded and would lead to insurance companies failing which leads to a ridiculous shitstorm

Old April 16th, 2015, 09:58 PM   #33
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
illegal to profile or illegal to change rates based on usage

bc illegal to profile would be retarded and would lead to insurance companies failing which leads to a ridiculous shitstorm
Retarded or not, that is the law:

No different rates on preexisting conditions or usage:
http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/rights...onditions.html

No lifetime or annual limits:
http://www.hhs.gov/healthcare/rights/limits/

Old April 16th, 2015, 10:12 PM   #34
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
afaik no laws have been broken. Pre-existing conditions and high risk for conditions based on family history are two different things. I also see nothing for typical usage, I.e. regular er visits for injuries.

Old April 16th, 2015, 10:24 PM   #35
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

These limitation apply only to the plan sold on Obamacare exchanges, but the law is very explicit: the one and only criteria that affects your price is age.

This is what covered: https://www.healthcare.gov/coverage/...e-plans-cover/
- Ambulatory patient services (outpatient care you get without being admitted to a hospital)
- Emergency services
- Hospitalization (such as surgery)

Old April 16th, 2015, 10:47 PM   #36
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
As someone who has some experience with crashing and EMS, my advice is to get good insurance.

Don't forget gear!!!!!

A local volunteer service charges nearly a grand just to transport someone a few miles.

Old April 16th, 2015, 11:25 PM   #37
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
OTOH, if you don't hit anyone and noone hits you, you've just wasted what could amount to the price of a new bike on buying a bigger yacht for an insurance company CEO.

If you have super expensive bike, sure, get full coverage. If you have $3000 bike, get an insurance quote for a full coverage, buy liability only, and put whatever you saved on insurance into a saving account. By the end of the year, you are more likely to get with a nice lump sum than without a bike.

It's all just a game of probabilities. You can win it if you are honest with yourself.

Liability, on the other hand, is lawyer-proofing yourself. Don't **** with that one, they'll ruin you.
I am good at riding, but i am not going to start gambling on other people not being stupid or some bad luck.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old April 17th, 2015, 01:10 AM   #38
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 17th, 2015, 04:27 AM   #39
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Just to put it out there, JUST the 1st surgery was 16k to fix my thumb after i was hit.

I screwed up on my insurance and only had 5k on the bike policy for medical. That was depleted in the ER. My health insurance is helping but i still have a stack of bills.

I upped the medical big time on my 300 policy and will always have full coverage on my bikes. my

Any way you go best of luck!

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...

Last futzed with by LittleRedNinjette; May 27th, 2015 at 09:55 AM.
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old April 17th, 2015, 07:39 AM   #40
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
^ my argument exactly