ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old August 9th, 2014, 04:30 AM   #1
AmyF
ninjette.org member

Name: Amy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Trying to get over fear from recent "ride from hell"

Ok, every since my "Ride from hell" post I posted the other day, I've been very very tense on my bike and find it extremely difficult to loosen up. I'm a bit mad at myself, because previous to the bad experience, I really enjoyed the 35-45mph zone roads. Now, I go out and keep tending to pull to the left - and I notice my grip keeps tightening up and my body position is leaning to the right (as if that would help which obviously doesn't). Yesterday it took me forever to get over to the one gas station that has free air because I wanted to top up my tires.

I'm figuring just a lot more time riding will eventually help me relax and enjoy riding again. It appears to be a big mental hurdle.

What are some techniques or advice you guys can offer for newer riders like myself, who've recently been through a scarey situation and are having a HELL of a time learning to relax again.

Present: 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Past: 02 Honda Rebel, 09 CFMoto Glory 150
AmyF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 04:51 AM   #2
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyF View Post
Ok, every since my "Ride from hell" post I posted the other day, I've been very very tense on my bike and find it extremely difficult to loosen up. I'm a bit mad at myself, because previous to the bad experience, I really enjoyed the 35-45mph zone roads. Now, I go out and keep tending to pull to the left - and I notice my grip keeps tightening up and my body position is leaning to the right (as if that would help which obviously doesn't). Yesterday it took me forever to get over to the one gas station that has free air because I wanted to top up my tires.

I'm figuring just a lot more time riding will eventually help me relax and enjoy riding again. It appears to be a big mental hurdle.

What are some techniques or advice you guys can offer for newer riders like myself, who've recently been through a scarey situation and are having a HELL of a time learning to relax again.
Ride its all you can do. I have crashed a few times the worst one was 4 days in ICU. car made a left in front of me all I did was get back on a bike and start riding once more.

Old August 9th, 2014, 05:57 AM   #3
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

As Fishdip wrote, you have to ride it out of your system...

There's no magic thinking it that...

You could use the words of wisdom from Dr. Leo Marvin (Richard Dreyfuss) in the movie What about Bob?, starring Bill Murray...

Baby steps...

Ride until you tense up, then slow down a little, once you feel comfortable, speed up a bit until you tense up again and slow down... Keep pushing yourself that way until your up to where you were before your misadventure...

Don't rush yourself, forever is always better than never...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 07:50 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
@choneofakind - What did you do to relax while riding again just an hour after a down?
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #5
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
When I wrecked at the track, I didn't think it had affected me mentally. Until I got back out there the following season. Riding that day was terrifying. Each time I passed where I went down, I found myself tense and shaking and so focused on the past that I neglected the here and now.

After the first session, I gave myself permission to not work on anything at all that day except working through the mental block. I would ride to that corner carefully, take it slow and steady and really focus on the proper technique for turning, then as I exited, I would tell myself "See, you can turn, you can enter and exit a corner safely, and you can keep going."

Over and over and over, just reinforcing that I knew how to turn, that I knew how to negotiate a corner properly, that I knew I would be okay. Positive statements, always positive.

By the end of the day I had successfully taken that corner 32 times. One of the instructors came over and asked how I felt. I told him confident. He said "Good, its just another corner, and from now on we won't even acknowledge it was ever different."

It takes time, be patient with yourself. Your body and brain are telling you something is wrong, so step back to where you are relaxed, and move forward again slowly. You've told us how you've progressed and you've done great! This has set you back a bit, so re-find that new rider who was just as nervous as you are now and follow her steps to get comfortable again. If it means getting off the 35-45 mph roads again for a bit, okay. Cruise around the neighbor for a couple days, and just focus on you know how to do this, and you can do this.

Keep us informed!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 9th, 2014, 08:12 AM   #6
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I had a car make a left turn in to me also. Fishdip is right. Just ride it out. For a month my heart rate would jump every time I saw a left turn signal, but as you said you just need to relax. A good way to relax your grip is to do just the opposite for a second. Grab it hard. then relax every time you notice you are tensing up. Do that for all your mussels that you are tensing up. Flex then relax a few times to gain control of it.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 09:06 AM   #7
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

I knew someone who crashed into the woods, started with a left turn. She broke her scapula. About a year or so afterwards when she recovered physically she started riding more regularly. But she said she was pretty terrified of any left turns. But then she went and did a track day. She didnt go very fast but it gave her all the confidence back that she lost in her self and in the bike.
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #8
Noobman
ninjette.org member

Name: Kolia

Motorcycle(s): 2010 KTM Duke 690, Owned a 2008 Ninja 250

@AmyF
Like everyone else said, "Ride".

You just need to let time pass and continue on riding.
Your mind needs time.

I crashed too and had the same feeling as you and everyone else.
Getting all tense, scared, not comfortable, unable to relax...etc.

But it all goes away with time.

Dont worry.
It always works out.
Noobman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 02:46 PM   #9
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Read twist of the wrist 2. It will explain what happens if you don't relax.
I have had some issues after going down at the track, I just make an effort to ask my self every few miles what is my body position, is it correct? I have also decided to step back and focus on the things I know I did wrong and fix them. Slow speed turns is one of the things I am using to make sure I am relaxed. Anyone can ride fast, skill and technique are learned over time.
Good luck and don't give up.
snot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 06:19 PM   #10
Worldtraveller
ninjette.org sage

Name: Lane

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 (trackbike), CBR600RR, GS500F

If you can get someone to ride with you, mostly for the peace of mind that someone is there to help, it may be helpful. I know some others here have posted links to local MC forums. (Even if they aren't all on Ninjettes. )
Worldtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 06:59 PM   #11
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

I think that if you're doing something and not getting what you want out of it, stop doing it.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #12
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
After my wreck i thought i would be fine getting back on. Turns out i wasnt. I was just off, nit riding as good as before. Tried parking lot practice and riding just wasn't doing it.
So i signed up for the BRC2. Guess what? That did it! After the class i feel more confidant and in control. And was even able to raise the bike back up a bit.

So that would be my advice to you. you can see where the classes in your area will be held at the MSF website.

Hope that helps.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 07:21 PM   #13
AmyF
ninjette.org member

Name: Amy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250

I went out again today, this time really taking my time focusing on technique and easy hand position making sure I didn't tense or if I did to loosen right up. Focused on good feet position and legs too. 25 zone most of the time then some 35. But then the bike died again (I didn't charge it last night). Eric jumped it and I rode home no issue and put it on the charger. I noticed today I wasn't fearful. I was much more relaxed. I feel more confident and better about not giving up and making sure I keep getting back out there to get comfy.

Present: 05 Kawasaki Ninja 250
Past: 02 Honda Rebel, 09 CFMoto Glory 150
AmyF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2014, 07:58 PM   #14
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Cool! Keep at it!

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old August 9th, 2014, 08:58 PM   #15
fishdip

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyF View Post
I went out again today, this time really taking my time focusing on technique and easy hand position making sure I didn't tense or if I did to loosen right up. Focused on good feet position and legs too. 25 zone most of the time then some 35. But then the bike died again (I didn't charge it last night). Eric jumped it and I rode home no issue and put it on the charger. I noticed today I wasn't fearful. I was much more relaxed. I feel more confident and better about not giving up and making sure I keep getting back out there to get comfy.
I'd really recommend you stop riding the bike tho in tell you can solve why it is dyeing. I'd hate for it to make you crash losing power mid corner sucks.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 9th, 2014, 10:08 PM   #16
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Yes, you need to resolve the stalling issue before anything else.

Old August 10th, 2014, 01:00 PM   #17
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Honestly, the hardest thing about getting back on after a scary ride or crash is getting past the nerves and anticipation. Use this bad experience as a chance to learn. You say you're tight on the bars - LOOSEN UP!!! I'm a little familiar with this recently, as it caused my lowside.

Take a deep breath and relax the shoulders. Do a little chicken dance and relax the elbows. Loosen the hands on the bars. Most importantly, remember that you're always going to imagine it worse than it is. Like I said, the hardest part is getting past the nerves. Remember that the bike only does what you tell it. You're in charge. If you can calm your mind and ride with confidence, the bike will do what you want.

Noobman nailed it - it takes some mileage to regain the confidence again. That first time back out after lowsiding, I was really really slow in the corner I crashed on. I was slow on it all day. But I gradually got faster. I had to gain some confidence in my front end again. As long as I was light on the bars, it stuck like glue. Keep yourself calm, think through what you're doing, and don't let yourself get jumpy.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2014, 01:14 PM   #18
momoru
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250R

I think fixing the stalling issue will go a long way to giving you confidence, have you tried what others have suggested yet? Checking terminals, checking voltage, etc...? You should not need to put your battery on a tender every night. I have the exact same bike and I've never done this.
momoru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2014, 01:22 PM   #19
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
smile, laugh, and understand. the recipe for confidence.

Old August 10th, 2014, 05:32 PM   #20
shereth
ninjette.org member

Name: Alan

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Seven years ago I had my first (and hopefully only) accident when a lapse of attention on my part in traffic resulted in a panic brake situation that tossed me off the bike and sent me sliding through rush hour traffic. I escaped with little more than bruises and scrapes and a dinged up bike but the psychological damage was probably the worst. I was so freaked out afterward, so afraid of going down in another panic brake that I started riding TOO conservatively - putting four or five car lengths between me and the cars in front of me, preemptively slowing down at intersections even if the light was green, stuff like that. Stuff that was probably dangerous and stupid. It took a long time before I was able to squeeze that brake with confidence, and even today I get flashbacks on occasion when I have to stop on a dime ...

Still, I can't really add any more to the "cure" than everyone else has offered. The only way to get over the jitters is to get back in the saddle and ride them out. One day you'll be able to look back at it and laugh about how jittery it made you feel. Best of luck getting there sooner rather than later!
shereth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2014, 12:17 PM   #21
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by momoru View Post
I think fixing the stalling issue will go a long way to giving you confidence, have you tried what others have suggested yet? Checking terminals, checking voltage, etc...? You should not need to put your battery on a tender every night. I have the exact same bike and I've never done this.

Along with riding more, I feel the above will really help as well. If you can't trust the bike you're riding, you can't feel safe riding it.

Maybe start a new thread asking for help on the stalling issue (if you haven't already).
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #22
spooph

Name: Spooph

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250R

MOTM - Oct '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
I'd really recommend you stop riding the bike tho in tell you can solve why it is dyeing. I'd hate for it to make you crash losing power mid corner sucks.
+1 - no sense in doubting the bike when you're dealing with other issues. Eliminate that and all you have to focus on is getting your riding confidence back...

along with that, I agree with what other folks say about "ride it out", "get back on the horse", but I also understand it's not that easy sometimes....

I would recommend you go back to a parking lot and practice slow speed turns, hard braking, high speed swerves and so on. For me, confidence is about knowing how to use the tools I have... So practice them, over and over and over. Parking lots are a lot safer, and if you can do those maneuvers in them, there is nothing from stopping you doing that on the open road...

My therapist has 2 wheels and a seat.
If you are ever in doubt to my tone, please refer to my avatar.
spooph is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old August 12th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #23
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

you have done the most important thing, you have saddled up and twisted that throttle again.

Here is the deal for me... not riding would kill me, I become grumpy bear when I can't get my two wheel fix... sooo

if I'm going to be miserable anyway... I'll be miserable on two wheels...

If motorcycling is part of who you are, if it is as much of you as say your heart, or your liver... or in NevadaWolfs case a leg and an arm... you gear up, you get back on, you think about anything you did that was wrong and needs to be corrected...

and then you plunge headlong, dauntless, with abandon, and venture forth...

to do anything less, would be an amputation of the soul.
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2014, 12:07 PM   #24
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
Here is the deal for me... not riding would kill me, I become grumpy bear when I can't get my two wheel fix... sooo
Just wait until winter around here. hahahahahhaha
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2014, 12:11 PM   #25
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Hey wait what? I ain't selling an arm and a leg for nothing. First born? Sure you can have that!
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2014, 02:19 PM   #26
Rifleman
Old and slow

Name: Lohman

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki TL1000R, Honda CBR600F3, Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Just wait until winter around here. hahahahahhaha
winter is the only time I can bring myself to do stuff like this.

doesn't mean I have a smile on my face... but the off season has it's advantages
Rifleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 13th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #27
cookiebug79
n00b with the b00bs

Name: Jen

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250, 2008 EX250, 2001 ZR-7S, 2010 ZX-6R

Breathe. Talk to yourself out loud. It forces air in and out of your lungs and makes your chest relax. Use positive reinforcement, saying "Yes!" "I got this" "Sweet" "Awesome" instead of "Oh sh!t! Oh sh!t! Oh sh!t!" Sing your favorite song if it helps.

Also, you should be able to ride one-handed, so practice relaxing enough to take your left hand off the grip.
cookiebug79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 22nd, 2014, 11:01 AM   #28
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

@AmyF, haven't heard from you in a while now. Ever get the bike fixed? Hope all is well.

Raven's Rejuvenation