ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old September 18th, 2013, 06:29 PM   #1
scubaru
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

Red face First time laid down, front fork advice

After 5 months of riding and 2400 miles my time finally came where I lay down my bike. Going down hill into a turn at under 20 mph I either tapped the brakes or hit rock and went down low side.

I faired well minus a scuffed knee and a headache (full face helmet, jacket, jeans). Not a squid!

The bike on the other hand has its wounds. Went down on the right side and slide maybe 8'. The main concern is after getting it up I noticed the wheel was turned a few degrees off center from my handles. What am I looking at for potential damage/repairs/possibly totaled?

I also have a scuffed exhaust and a big dent in my gas tank from the handle turning into the tank (pictures to come). Main concern is my front wheel assembly and forks.
scubaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2013, 07:08 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Hope you heal soon; sorry to read about your accident.

Check this link:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_need_...nd_front_wheel
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 18th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #3
IF13
WOT WOT WOT

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

Check this link:
Yep, I had the same issue. Think @Motofool also showed me this or was it another user, maybe @NevadaWolf That and how to mount the bike up so that the forks aren't bearing any weight. It's going to be a pain to do that unless you're okay with using the engine block to support the bike.

I wasn't. But I'm just being paranoid, don't mind me. Sorry about the crash but I'm glad you're alright.

Old September 19th, 2013, 05:19 AM   #4
scubaru
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post

Check this link:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IF13 View Post
Yep, I had the same issue. Think @Motofool also showed me this or was it another user, maybe @NevadaWolf That and how to mount the bike up so that the forks aren't bearing any weight. It's going to be a pain to do that unless you're okay with using the engine block to support the bike.

I wasn't. But I'm just being paranoid, don't mind me. Sorry about the crash but I'm glad you're alright.
I want to say it was off center 4-5 degrees or so, after getting off the mountain into the city my friend came out to initially pick up the bike but I got it running, he helped me manually realign the front wheel, now less than .5 degrees off center. So now I need to get it into perfect center, this link helps!

Old September 19th, 2013, 05:27 AM   #5
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
tough break, was it a crazy sharp turn? at that speed I would not imagine just tapping the brakes alone would cause you to loose front end but IDK?

Obviously PA is known for its lovely collection of rock dust and small gravel on and along the roads from the winter, is it possible you hit some gravel, road snake, poor road surface anything?

It is starting to get a little chilly around here especially in the mornings (40 degrees) it is only a matter of time before the snow comes and I have to hang it up but the crappy thing is that even if we have a nice day during the winter it is to risky to even take the bike out because of all that rock dust **** they put down. I road almost everyday last winter in Maryland even on some light snow days with no issues but just thinking about trying to ride up here even on nice days seems like you are just asking for trouble.

Again sorry about the crash, I sounds like you and the bike should be ok, get it fixed up and get back out there while you still have some time.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2013, 05:38 AM   #6
scubaru
ninjette.org member

Alright so a few pictures of my ordeal, live and learn I suppose.

This is most of the damage to the fairing, from the look of it I should be able to buff most of it out, thoughts?

This is the upper part of the fairing, thinking of a light bondo treatment paint and blend, not much of a body work guy, input?

I imagine I can get end caps for cheap, possibly even the levers too?

This is the majority of the damage to the exhaust, I want to get out what I can from it, I've used metal polish and I know that won't get these out, not till after a much stronger polish. Anyone have any recommendations?

Finally the gas tank, I dented the gas tank on the opposite side of the fall, I figured it was the handle bar spinning around that far, but after playing around with the bike I ruled that out and the tender bump on the inside of my left knee told me the real cause. Can this be fixed? It's not creased, I'm thinking a paintless dent removal?

Thanks guys!

Old September 19th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #7
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I just loosened the triple clamps and held the font wheel inbetween my legs and twisted the handles bars.

Old September 19th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #8
scubaru
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
tough break, was it a crazy sharp turn? at that speed I would not imagine just tapping the brakes alone would cause you to loose front end but IDK?

Obviously PA is known for its lovely collection of rock dust and small gravel on and along the roads from the winter, is it possible you hit some gravel, road snake, poor road surface anything?

It is starting to get a little chilly around here especially in the mornings (40 degrees) it is only a matter of time before the snow comes and I have to hang it up but the crappy thing is that even if we have a nice day during the winter it is to risky to even take the bike out because of all that rock dust **** they put down. I road almost everyday last winter in Maryland even on some light snow days with no issues but just thinking about trying to ride up here even on nice days seems like you are just asking for trouble.

Again sorry about the crash, I sounds like you and the bike should be ok, get it fixed up and get back out there while you still have some time.
It was a sharp downward turn however I fell before the turn. I remember applying brake coming down the hill and downshifting, maybe I shifted right before the turn? It's a blur in that instance which sucks. I know there was gravel on the road prior which is why I was slowing so much before the turn. my tires are the original which means less grip and more easy to lose grip and not regain.

My goal is to get it rideable, get to 2500 miles before seasons end (at 2400) and spend the winter fixing her up. I do plan to upgrade to a 600 (after a ZX-6r or 636). This is my learner bike.

Old September 19th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #9
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

About your tank dent i noticed mine has one too(wunder y?? ) I was thinking of removing tank and trying to use compressed air to balloon it out.

Glad you are ok.

Old September 20th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #10
Mocha Man
Blue Shell magnet

Name: Nolan

Motorcycle(s): 1997 Ninja 250

Wow, looks just like how my bike does (I mean where the bruises to it are.) Unfortunately I can't offer too much advice since I just spray-painted the exhaust and used some touch up paint with a Q-tip on where your second picture is. My bike doesn't have any major scrapes on the side fairings like yours does, though. For that, buffing it might work and if it doesn't, at least you have a black bike so paint will match it better. I know paint isn't the best way to go, but it's cheap and easy to apply.
Mocha Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2013, 12:25 PM   #11
PartsNinja
Ninja Parts Master

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ducati Streetfighter 1098, 2014 Honda CB1100 Cafe, 2007 SV1000S, Quite a few 2008-2012 Ninja 250s

For the tank you could honestly (and cheaply) buy a pop-a-dent from amazon. they arent too expensive and Ive actually had moderate success with it at popping NON CREASED dents. you cant have any sharp creases or it wont work properly. Worth a shot, I doubt compressed air would work.