ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 29th, 2015, 06:59 PM   #1
jcsalazar
ninjette.org member

Name: julio

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r

wheel bearings

I'm going to do my front and back wheel bearings. What are the part number for the bearings and the seals
jcsalazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2015, 07:11 PM   #2
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Gee whiz... The bike's only three years old. What happened? Was it a victim of Hurricane Sandy? Why do they need replacing already? They should last much longer than you're going to own the bike.

I've got 85K miles on my K75 and replacing the wheel bearings hasn't crossed my mind. They're still smooth as silk.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 29th, 2015, 07:14 PM   #3
jcsalazar
ninjette.org member

I hear a growling noise when I'm moving and I'm already removing the wheels to slap some new tires on them.

Old July 29th, 2015, 07:30 PM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Inspect the bearings, they just might need to be greased. Kawasaki is known to be stingy with grease, like the swing arm, etc.....

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2015, 07:31 PM   #5
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Fair enough... Just make sure it's not the brake pads dragging (perfectly normal for a little drag). Or (for the rear wheel) the chain/drivetrain.

Wheel bearings normally last for many (many many) tens of thousands of miles.

Dunno about the Kwaks, but in the BMW world, some guys decide to replace wheel bearings "just because" and don't realize they're held in the wheel by a temperature-related shrink fit until after they've removed the (perfectly good) old bearings and have serious difficulty trying to install the new ones.

Don't want you to be that guy!
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 29th, 2015, 07:37 PM   #6
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

In most cases the noise comes from the speedo cable, so put some grease in and see what happens.
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2015, 07:39 PM   #7
jcsalazar
ninjette.org member

do yall know where i can get the seals that cover the bearings incase i decide to just grease the bearings

Old July 29th, 2015, 07:56 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsalazar View Post
do yall know where i can get the seals that cover the bearings incase i decide to just grease the bearings
The original bearings are of good quality, sealed and don't need lubrication.
After you remove the wheels, rotate the internal ring of each bearing with your finger and see if you feel any roughness or play.
If not, leave them as they are.
If you are careful, you can lift the interior lip and inject a few drops of motor oil.

As advised above, those bearings should be as good as new and each removal scrapes some aluminum from the wheel, making them looser.
Cleaning the brake calipers may be much more needed.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 06:38 AM   #9
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
If you do need new bearings, All Balls 25-1444 is the front and 25-1234 is the rear. They were about $25 total from Amazon. They include all the bearings and seals.

On my 500, the OEM bearing on the sprocket hub was unsealed. I got the bearings for my new wheels and wasn't planning to change the hub bearing because the mileage was so low, but decided to when I saw that it was unsealed.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 06:55 AM   #10
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Just a tip . Put the bearings in the freezer over night. Then warm the hub with a hair dryer. The bearings will just drop in

Old July 30th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #11
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Ehhhh, removing the seals on a sealed bearing is mehhhhh. It can be done but... I'm not a fan.

Buy decent bearings. SKF Explorer series bearings are very high quality and in this size/configuration, they're not expensive. I think I got both wheels worth for $40 or something.

For pressing them in, be careful to only hit the outside race if you choose to drive them in. Otherwise, threaded rod, some nuts, and some washers do a great job. The bearings are all pressed up to a nice shoulder, so there's no need to check for how deep they're pressed into the wheel; just press until it stops.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 30th, 2015, 04:11 PM   #12
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

www.kalecoauto.com

fantastic selection

Old July 31st, 2015, 03:00 PM   #13
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Wouldn't recommend removing seals of the bearings themselves, they're Sealed and greased for the life of the bearing. Removing the seal can cause it to leak and lead to failure. I use these bearings day after in the food production world.

For installing, find a socket that matches the exterior race, but slides within the hub of the wheel. Couple taps with a rubber mallet, and it slides right in.

Check your chain lubrication, Chain alignment, speedo cable grease, brake pads and calipers all before doing wheel bearings. Or put bike on stands and spin wheels by hand. Place an extension on the axle shaft and 'listen' thru the extension. If you hear grinding, off beat noises, investigate further.

Old July 31st, 2015, 07:54 PM   #14
jcsalazar
ninjette.org member

Ok so I got my new tires put on I got the 150/60 17 on the back. It feels different its easier to move is it suppose to feel like that