Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old July 7th, 2013, 12:52 PM   #1
MrChau
ninjette.org member

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

New Member From the Boston Area

Hi there,

I am a new rider located North of Boston. I've been riding for about a month now. I use my ninja mainly to commute into Boston for work. It sure beats commuting by public transportation. Of course, I also ride for pleasure .

I look forward to using this site for:
  • Tips & Tricks on Riding
  • Information on Mods / Maintenance
  • & to connect with like-minded Ninjas
  • etc.

I do apologize ahead of time for the multitude of noob-ish questions that I'll unleash upon you, but rest assured I'll make sure to do my research first before I unleash them. I receive enough ill prepared questions in my line of work... urg.

One last thing, I do ride and live by the ATGATT lifestyle. Well, at least MTGATT ( I may have made that up).

Best regards,
Bill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg myninja.jpg (142.7 KB, 3 views)
MrChau is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2013, 01:23 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

MrChau! Glad to have you aboard...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #3
grayson banks
ninjette.org member

Name: grayson

Motorcycle(s): 2008 ninja 250r

welcome
grayson banks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #4
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2013, 03:35 PM   #5
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Boston Rocks!

Old July 8th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #6
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 09 250r

welcome fellow boston rider!
rcruz17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #7
spc2125
ninjette.org member

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250

Welcome fellow masshole. Doubt il ever see you riding but welcome!
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #8
syntinena
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Danielle

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

Welome! Can't wait until I have enough experience to feel comfortable riding in Boston
syntinena is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2013, 06:38 PM   #9
MrChau
ninjette.org member

Thanks for the welcome guys. I knew someone would call me a masshole lol. At least it was from a fellow masshole.

Riding around in Boston isn't too bad. I quite like riding to Copley for work. There's something cool about the area. Well, the traffic does suck sometimes especially if you are stuck in the tunnels. Recent 90 degree weather doesn't help either.

Oh yeah, I found out what I am going to do next with my ninja... frame sliders. I'm going to go with the T-Rex ones, I am ordering the stands from them anyways.

Oh, I also ordered some new gear. Keep on a lookout some reviews in the gear section.

Old July 8th, 2013, 06:57 PM   #10
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrChau View Post
Thanks for the welcome guys. I knew someone would call me a masshole lol. At least it was from a fellow masshole.

Riding around in Boston isn't too bad. I quite like riding to Copley for work. There's something cool about the area. Well, the traffic does suck sometimes especially if you are stuck in the tunnels. Recent 90 degree weather doesn't help either.

Oh yeah, I found out what I am going to do next with my ninja... frame sliders. I'm going to go with the T-Rex ones, I am ordering the stands from them anyways.

Oh, I also ordered some new gear. Keep on a lookout some reviews in the gear section.
No way! whereabouts in copley I work in the area

Old July 8th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #11
MrChau
ninjette.org member

I work at a firm right across the street from Hancock Tower on Clarendon Street. Hmm, I do remember seeing other ninjas around the parking at the meters. I don't use them though lol.

Old July 8th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #12
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I work at a firm right across the street from Hancock Tower on Clarendon Street. Hmm, I do remember seeing other ninjas around the parking at the meters. I don't use them though lol.
ah is that the old john hancock? I work once or twice a week down in the parking garage under Post 390 my other location is across the st from cheesecake factory. wheres your commute from?

Old July 8th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #13
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

welcome
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 9th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #14
MrChau
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcruz17 View Post
ah is that the old john hancock? I work once or twice a week down in the parking garage under Post 390 my other location is across the st from cheesecake factory. wheres your commute from?
Oh you really know the area. That's exactly correct. I walk by Post 390 everyday after I park my bike. I commute from the North Shore

Old July 9th, 2013, 11:27 AM   #15
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
The first time I saw "On Any Sunday" was at the old John Hancock. I believe the light on top was blue at the time.

Old July 9th, 2013, 12:53 PM   #16
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Oh you really know the area. That's exactly correct. I walk by Post 390 everyday after I park my bike. I commute from the North Shore
Do you park on the bike parking section next to the masspike onramp? Theres a ducati monster that a guy that lives in the Clarendon owns and a red cbr600rr is my friends he leaves it there sometimes.

I like riding up north 1A is a fun ride where are you gettin your T-rex sliders from? im debating if I want to spend the money on the shogun I havent even fixed all my fairings yet.

Last futzed with by rcruz17; July 9th, 2013 at 01:57 PM.

Old July 9th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #17
MrChau
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
The first time I saw "On Any Sunday" was at the old John Hancock. I believe the light on top was blue at the time.
"On Any Sunday is a 1971 American documentary feature about motorcycle sport, directed by Bruce Brown."
-Wikipedia

Hmm, seems interesting. I might have to look into this documentary.

Yep, the old John Hancock tower is pretty interesting. The light at the top of the tower correlates to the weather. Below is a little rhyme to what it means.

Steady blue, clear view.
Flashing blue, clouds due.
Steady red, rain ahead.
Flashing red, snow instead.

Pretty nifty when I want to put on my rain gear...

Quote:
Do you park on the bike parking section next to the masspike onramp? Theres a ducati monster that a guy that lives in the Clarendon owns and a red cbr600rr is my friends he leaves it there sometimes.

I like riding up north 1A is a fun ride where are you gettin your T-rex sliders from? im debating if I want to spend the money on the shogun I havent even fixed all my fairings yet.
Lol exactly, you sniped me out. I park right next to the ducati monster, the bike looks so sweet. I thought the guy works the night shift or something, now I know. I think I did see a red cbr there once.

As for the T-Rex sliders, I based my purchase off of this guy's review (link below). I ordered it off ebay in the link below. Its actually coming this week, I'll install it this weekend. The sliders look solid enough for me, but so does the Shogun. But it is your call, I just want it as a safety net for my ninja.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79916

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290806194838...84.m1439.l2649

Old July 9th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #18
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Welcome aboard bill!!!

Old July 9th, 2013, 07:28 PM   #19
rcruz17
ninjette.org member

Quote:
"On Any Sunday is a 1971 American documentary feature about motorcycle sport, directed by Bruce Brown."
-Wikipedia

Hmm, seems interesting. I might have to look into this documentary.

Yep, the old John Hancock tower is pretty interesting. The light at the top of the tower correlates to the weather. Below is a little rhyme to what it means.

Steady blue, clear view.
Flashing blue, clouds due.
Steady red, rain ahead.
Flashing red, snow instead.

Pretty nifty when I want to put on my rain gear...

Lol exactly, you sniped me out. I park right next to the ducati monster, the bike looks so sweet. I thought the guy works the night shift or something, now I know. I think I did see a red cbr there once.

As for the T-Rex sliders, I based my purchase off of this guy's review (link below). I ordered it off ebay in the link below. Its actually coming this week, I'll install it this weekend. The sliders look solid enough for me, but so does the Shogun. But it is your call, I just want it as a safety net for my ninja.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79916

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290806194838...84.m1439.l2649
Ive never seen a Ninja there but I dont normally walk thru there I usually drive and the entrance is on stuart st but the Ducati monster has a condo up there. Ill be valet there tomorrow night.

Old July 9th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #20
MrChau
ninjette.org member

Dang, he must have some good money to have a condo around there. I just started parking there 2 weeks ago. Hey its free and its under cover... not too shabby.

Old July 10th, 2013, 12:59 PM   #21
Ytse Frobozz
Not dead yet!

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Welcome fellow Masshole! I live "way out west" where the tumbleweeds are. The idea of commuting downtown on a motorcycle kind of terrifies me. I commuted to Black Falcon Ave. in South Boston from Peabody back before the Big Dig, and oh my god I could feel myself becoming a more aggressive driver out of necessity. Maybe things are better now. Definitely wear plenty of armor! My friends think I'm crazy to commute up 495 but it's actually pretty chill compared to being on or inside 128. I've taken my bike to the Allston/Brighton bumper car zone a few times and it's lively, but kinda worth it for the parking advantage.

Once again, welcome to the site!
Ytse Frobozz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 06:32 PM   #22
MrChau
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ytse Frobozz View Post
Welcome fellow Masshole! I live "way out west" where the tumbleweeds are. The idea of commuting downtown on a motorcycle kind of terrifies me. I commuted to Black Falcon Ave. in South Boston from Peabody back before the Big Dig, and oh my god I could feel myself becoming a more aggressive driver out of necessity. Maybe things are better now. Definitely wear plenty of armor! My friends think I'm crazy to commute up 495 but it's actually pretty chill compared to being on or inside 128. I've taken my bike to the Allston/Brighton bumper car zone a few times and it's lively, but kinda worth it for the parking advantage.

Once again, welcome to the site!

Lol, I know what you mean by "becoming a more aggressive driver out of necessity". I admit it, I do have my masshole moments when I'm in my car. But on the bike, I trust no one. My biggest hurdle in the beginning wasn't cars or trucks (I leave early and leave late so I miss most of the traffic), but it was the people. Your light is green, you're taking a left turn, but people are still in the middle of the street and they are still coming. Then, there are also cyclists. Some of which follow neither the rules of the road or the sidewalk lol. I just make sure I wear all my armor and be smart about riding and did I say trust no one before? Funny thing, I found myself staring down a lady with a baby carriage today because it seems like she was going to book it across the street when the light was green for me.

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Old July 10th, 2013, 06:53 PM   #23
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

welcome from another boston 250 rider... Mostly a commuter, I don't have enough free time to ride much for pleasure.

I live and commute inside 128... it's not too bad. Get loud horns (hella supertones)... they make your presence known on the road. No room for error to be an aggressive driver on a bike in this city, that's for sure.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 07:05 PM   #24
MrChau
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
welcome from another boston 250 rider... Mostly a commuter, I don't have enough free time to ride much for pleasure.

I live and commute inside 128... it's not too bad. Get loud horns (hella supertones)... they make your presence known on the road. No room for error to be an aggressive driver on a bike in this city, that's for sure.
Hello fellow Boston commuter. How you liking the heat, humidity and the occasional thunderstorm on your commute ? Loud horns sound like a great idea. Thanks for the welcome.

Old July 10th, 2013, 07:22 PM   #25
woofer987
Causual Browser

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Welcome from Holden! (near worcester, no one ever knows where that is...)

Old July 11th, 2013, 06:21 AM   #26
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #27
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Hello fellow Boston commuter. How you liking the heat, humidity and the occasional thunderstorm on your commute ? Loud horns sound like a great idea. Thanks for the welcome.
not too bad actually... I'm an agatt rider, and made the switch to a mesh jacket and overpants for my every day, low speed commuting (no roads over 35 mph on my commute). As long as I keep moving, the humidity and heat doesn't really get to me. And I've been lucky enough to dodge the thunderstorms. I rode through a few last summer. My rule is, if I can make it to work dry, I ride. Dealing with some wet clothes when I get home is easy.

Old July 11th, 2013, 12:51 PM   #28
MrChau
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post
not too bad actually... I'm an agatt rider, and made the switch to a mesh jacket and overpants for my every day, low speed commuting (no roads over 35 mph on my commute). As long as I keep moving, the humidity and heat doesn't really get to me. And I've been lucky enough to dodge the thunderstorms. I rode through a few last summer. My rule is, if I can make it to work dry, I ride. Dealing with some wet clothes when I get home is easy.
Likewise, I have a jacket with mesh and textile to mitigate the heat and humidity. The worse for me is traffic in the ted williams tunnel or no traffic, no matter how fast you go, its hot. Well, I'm trying to lose more weight anyways . I haven't hit any thunderstorms yet either, but I will tread carefully.

Old July 11th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #29
dfox
ninjette.org sage

yea, I have a "sideways" commute, if you will. I never really travel towards or away from the city, so I don't hit too much standstill traffic. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, but it's not as bad, and I have lots of options around it if it does happen.

thunderstorms are interesting. I got caught in a pretty bad one last year, I actually needed to pull over for a short period of time. It was one of those 2-3" per half hour dumpings. I was having issues maintaining traction in the deep puddles, so I stopped in a parking garage for 15 minutes until it calmed down.

Old July 11th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #30
MrChau
ninjette.org member

Whooo, I just got out of that sauna I call the Ted William Tunnel.

Hmmm interesting, I have yet to hit a bad storm yet. I've only been through some rain. I will make sure to assess the situation when rain hits.