ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old February 25th, 2013, 05:07 PM   #1
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R (Sold), 93 VFR750F (In Pieces)

New Rider in Memphis TN

When I start something... I don't do things halfway.

Quick Bio, then motorcycle recap...

I'm 32, 2 kids (9 and 11) and I'm an IT PM for a global electronics repair company. Mainly handling systemic interaction between us and UPS. Lived in Memphis metro area my entire life and have begun to love it more each year. My family owns a local body shop, so I have experience and access to anything I need for repairs... Mechanically, bodywork or even paint. My brother is the painter there. More on that in a minute.

7 weeks ago, I had 0 miles on any motorcycle of any kind. Always wanted one, but first Mom said no, then I got older and wife said no. Now... I'm even older and I say Yes.

Jan 6th I bought a 1993 VFR750, not running, but had it on the road within 7 days. Immediately tore it down for paint and lots and lots of replacements items, since I have zero clue of its history. It's going to be my 'hot rod project' bike. Already painted with all Honda colors.

While the VFR is out of commission, I HAD to have something else to ride. Something smaller, better to learn on, and that would be 99.9% reliable when I hit the starter! Enter the 08 250R.

Got it for a great deal and have already ridden almost 100 miles in 3 days. I'll be taking the MSF course, and my girlfriend wants to take the class with me, so she can maybe start riding some. Totally up to her, I'm not pushing it either way.

The Ninja really needs nothing. Only 3700 miles on a 2008, but I am already looking at slip-ons, new rearsets and of course painting it a little. I did do some Plastidip on the right side today, just to get an idea. I REALLY like it (or something similar to it).

Now for pics.

Y'all all know what a stock 08 Plasma blue looks like... So I'll only add the 1 of that.

Now the Plastidip temporary white.

And the VFR. None of my bikes have names yet. they need names...
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
BRad704! Glad to have you aboard...
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's about damn time another 250 rider from Memphis joined this forum. Haha

Welcome, @BRad704. If you ever want to go for a ride just let me know! If you haven't ridden the Raleigh Lagrange Collierville Arlington Rd area yet, you gotta. Once you get a bit more comfortable in the saddle that is.

You gonna take the MSF at Southwest Comm. College? I took it there in the summer of 2011 and had a good time.

Did you get the white plasti-dip locally? If so where? I wanna get some to play around with.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 25th, 2013, 06:06 PM   #4
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
BRad704! Glad to have you aboard...
Thanks Foo! LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono View Post
It's about damn time another 250 rider from Memphis joined this forum. Haha

Welcome, @BRad704. If you ever want to go for a ride just let me know! If you haven't ridden the Raleigh Lagrange Collierville Arlington Rd area yet, you gotta. Once you get a bit more comfortable in the saddle that is.

You gonna take the MSF at Southwest Comm. College? I took it there in the summer of 2011 and had a good time.

Did you get the white plasti-dip locally? If so where? I wanna get some to play around with.
Thanks Jono.
I'm QUITE familiar with that section of road. I grew up in Collierville c/o 98. And have been down that road in everything from my Civic Si to an MB Kompressor 230. I'll get out there soon, but I remember quite a bit of gravel down on the insides.

Yeah, looking to take it at Southwest on St Patty's weekend.

Plastidip just came from Lowe's. $5.99 for the can I believe. I'd say I used maybe half the can, doing 3 "too heavy" coats on that part. It's coming off tomorrow anyway, so I just wanted coverage to look at it from 15' back.

Old February 25th, 2013, 06:17 PM   #5
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRad704 View Post
When I start something... I don't do things halfway.

Quick Bio, then motorcycle recap...

I'm 32, 2 kids (9 and 11) and I'm an IT PM for a global electronics repair company. Mainly handling systemic interaction between us and UPS. Lived in Memphis metro area my entire life and have begun to love it more each year. My family owns a local body shop, so I have experience and access to anything I need for repairs... Mechanically, bodywork or even paint. My brother is the painter there. More on that in a minute.

7 weeks ago, I had 0 miles on any motorcycle of any kind. Always wanted one, but first Mom said no, then I got older and wife said no. Now... I'm even older and I say Yes.

Jan 6th I bought a 1993 VFR750, not running, but had it on the road within 7 days. Immediately tore it down for paint and lots and lots of replacements items, since I have zero clue of its history. It's going to be my 'hot rod project' bike. Already painted with all Honda colors.

While the VFR is out of commission, I HAD to have something else to ride. Something smaller, better to learn on, and that would be 99.9% reliable when I hit the starter! Enter the 08 250R.

Got it for a great deal and have already ridden almost 100 miles in 3 days. I'll be taking the MSF course, and my girlfriend wants to take the class with me, so she can maybe start riding some. Totally up to her, I'm not pushing it either way.

The Ninja really needs nothing. Only 3700 miles on a 2008, but I am already looking at slip-ons, new rearsets and of course painting it a little. I did do some Plastidip on the right side today, just to get an idea. I REALLY like it (or something similar to it).
Love the VFR!

I also love Memphis. It's a great town.

Old February 25th, 2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:

Thanks Jono.
I'm QUITE familiar with that section of road. I grew up in Collierville c/o 98. And have been down that road in everything from my Civic Si to an MB Kompressor 230. I'll get out there soon, but I remember quite a bit of gravel down on the insides.

Yeah, looking to take it at Southwest on St Patty's weekend.

Plastidip just came from Lowe's. $5.99 for the can I believe. I'd say I used maybe half the can, doing 3 "too heavy" coats on that part. It's coming off tomorrow anyway, so I just wanted coverage to look at it from 15' back.

Nice!!! So you are a car guy as well, I assume. I got my start with cars too, but then I realized how much more fun bikes are for the price. Ha. I still enjoy cars but I think bikes have got my interest more. I just got back into Autocross though so we will see.

I'm a Houston grad. I actually live in Germantown not too far from the nicest roads in the area.

And there can be gravel in some areas but for the most part the roads are usually clear. I am not a crazy rider who drags knee and such (yet). But I do go pretty quick on the backroads.

But yeah, if you ever venture out to those roads definitely let me know. I'd be happy to tag along. I'd still consider myself a newb since I have only owned motorcycles for almost 2 years. And was not riding for 5 months out of that.

Which Lowes? I tried a few Home Depots but they only had black.

Old February 25th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #7
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #8
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

As for the Bold sections of CC's quote... yeah, I've been through the paces with relationships. I got it very wrong before I got it so right. That said, I get along better now with my kid's mom, than we EVER did before.

I live near Sam Cooper and Graham, right off the Greenline. The Lowes at Perkins/Sam Cooper had black and white.

Once it warms up, my brother and cousin both have bikes and live in Oakland. Cousin has mapped out a ~30mile route through Fayettte county backroads that should be a good ride. I'll let you know and try to meet up with you for it too.

Old February 26th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #9
Jono

Quote:

I live near Sam Cooper and Graham, right off the Greenline. The Lowes at Perkins/Sam Cooper had black and white.

Once it warms up, my brother and cousin both have bikes and live in Oakland. Cousin has mapped out a ~30mile route through Fayettte county backroads that should be a good ride. I'll let you know and try to meet up with you for it too.

Ah thanks. I go by that Lowe's/ your house everyday to campus. I'll stop by that Lowe's today to see if I can find a can or two.

And that sounds great. I haven't done much if any riding in Fayette. I'm curious to see how it compares to my usual backroads ride. So I'd be happy to tag along. As long is it is in the high 40's I'll ride but I definitely prefer sunny and 70+ degrees.

Old February 26th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 26th, 2013, 10:03 AM   #11
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Welcome!
Thanks! Glad to be here.

Jono, which school?
I'm also a CBU grad.

Old February 26th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #12
Jono

Quote:
Jono, which school?
I'm also a CBU grad.

University of Memphis studying to get my degree in marketing management. Plan to graduate sometime in 2014. But my dad is a CBU grad. I guess that counts for something.

Old February 26th, 2013, 10:19 AM   #13
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Quote:
University of Memphis studying to get my degree in marketing management. Plan to graduate sometime in 2014. But my dad is a CBU grad. I guess that counts for something.
Once you have that degree, most people/employers don't put much into "where" it's from. Only that you have it. UofM is a good school and I think I could have gotten a better education there, as opposed to CBU. Especially for Civil/Environmental Engineering. Large State school, versus small Private school... the funding gap is HUGE!

Old February 26th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #14
Jono

Quote:
Once you have that degree, most people/employers don't put much into "where" it's from. Only that you have it. UofM is a good school and I think I could have gotten a better education there, as opposed to CBU. Especially for Civil/Environmental Engineering. Large State school, versus small Private school... the funding gap is HUGE!
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I just stayed in Memphis. Like you, I lived here all my life. I'm still not sure what I really want to do with my life, which is why I picked a degree which will give me many different career options. And the U of M has many connections with many local business which should help once I start applying for internships.

Old February 26th, 2013, 10:38 AM   #15
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Quote:
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I just stayed in Memphis. Like you, I lived here all my life. I'm still not sure what I really want to do with my life, which is why I picked a degree which will give me many different career options. And the U of M has many connections with many local business which should help once I start applying for internships.
True dat. Alumni for UofM around here is incredible!

Old February 26th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #16
Jono

@BRad704 Yup, yup.

Got the last two cans of white plasti-dip from that Lowe's. They were all out of black though. Thanks for info. Now I just have to wait for some warmer temps to spray some pieces of my KLX.

Old February 26th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #17
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Quote:
@BRad704 Yup, yup.

Got the last two cans of white plasti-dip from that Lowe's. They were all out of black though. Thanks for info. Now I just have to wait for some warmer temps to spray some pieces of my KLX.
Good Deal!

From what I saw while spraying, the overlap areas of each pass are very noticible. Way more noticable than regular spray paint. If you want to do the bike once and have it done right, you will want to practice on something else first. And you have to use a knife or razor to trim the edges/tape lines afterwards. Otherwise the plastidip is strong enough to pull off with the tape.

FWIW, I took the white off mine earlier today in 1 giant piece! LOL! Pretty amazing (and fun) stuff.

Old February 26th, 2013, 04:06 PM   #18
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

I look forward to seeing what you do to the Ninjette next!

Old February 26th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #19
Jono

Quote:
Good Deal!

From what I saw while spraying, the overlap areas of each pass are very noticible. Way more noticable than regular spray paint. If you want to do the bike once and have it done right, you will want to practice on something else first. And you have to use a knife or razor to trim the edges/tape lines afterwards. Otherwise the plastidip is strong enough to pull off with the tape.

FWIW, I took the white off mine earlier today in 1 giant piece! LOL! Pretty amazing (and fun) stuff.

Thanks for the hints and tips. I'll try my best to smoothly overlap. The areas I will be spraying are much smaller than what you did. So hopefully it will be less noticeable. I'll probably do 3 good coats and see how it turns out. Then I will do the other side.

I will just be spraying the rear number panel (or what would be a number panel if it was an MX bike). Not sure how terrible it's going to turn out. But that's the cool thing about plasti-dip. You can just peal it off.

Old February 26th, 2013, 05:05 PM   #20
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

That looks a lot like the gate at Osteen field (Collierville High football field). but the stands are in the wrong place (I think).

Nice bike! I REALLY wanted to find an SM too! Maybe you could add some white to the front fairing to balance it out? Just a thought, but you are right, it peels off rather easily. That could be good or bad...

Old February 26th, 2013, 05:18 PM   #21
Jono

Good eye! That's exactly where that photo was taken. It was for the picture game thread. http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45201 I play when I feel like it. Haha.

Thanks. I love it. My ninja hardly gets ridden these days. I had picked up the KLX back in September. Was looking for either dual sport or SM for months then this bike popped up on CL. Seller was located in Alabama but they met me in Tupelo and I road it home.

This is my Ninja 2fiddy.

And yes, I will spray the front number plate as well if the sides turn out okay. I have hand guards too that I still need to instal. I may make them white as well.

Old February 26th, 2013, 09:00 PM   #22
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

That's probably the best looking pre-gen that I've seen.

After riding 2up with gf tonight. .. I may looking for ANOTHER BIKE before too long. She is getting hooked... quickly!

Old February 26th, 2013, 09:16 PM   #23
Jono

Quote:
That's probably the best looking pre-gen that I've seen.

After riding 2up with gf tonight. .. I may looking for ANOTHER BIKE before too long. She is getting hooked... quickly!

Thanks man. It could use new fork springs and a newgen rear shock, then I think I would enjoy riding it more but am still undecided. I kinda want to sell it and save up for a used 07-09 FZ6.

Just get another Ninja 250! Actually, get a dual sport/SM.

Old February 28th, 2013, 08:24 AM   #24
YamiLionheart
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Welcome

Nice looking bikes! Good luck with your modifications.
YamiLionheart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 2nd, 2013, 10:41 PM   #25
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 11:58 AM   #26
RiderX1138
Hyo-busa :P

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): Hyosung gt250r

Sup Memphis Riders! I'm looking for some people to cruise with. I don't have a Ninja, so hopefully you won't hold it against me :P

I'm in the Cordova Area!

Jp
RiderX1138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:27 PM   #27
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Hey Mike, Rick and Jonathan. Sorry I missed your posts earlier, but thanks for the welcomes!

Jonathan, I don't get to get out and "ride" too often, mostly just commuting here and there. But I'm always up for meeting up with other local people. @Jono led a really good route through Shelby and mainly West Fayette Co back in the Spring.

I'm planning to do about 4-6 hours of riding on Friday since I'm off work. Tomorrow is my birthday, so the gf and I have some plans. No clue where I'll go yet, but I plan to set-off pretty early, ride until lunch-ish and then eat and head back toward home.

As for the mods on the bike, y'all might have seen it already, but here's how she sits right now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130531_091608.jpg (125.0 KB, 0 views)

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:29 PM   #28
RiderX1138

Quote:
Hey Mike, Rick and Jonathan. Sorry I missed your posts earlier, but thanks for the welcomes!

Jonathan, I don't get to get out and "ride" too often, mostly just commuting here and there. But I'm always up for meeting up with other local people. @Jono led a really good route through Shelby and mainly West Fayette Co back in the Spring.

I'm planning to do about 4-6 hours of riding on Friday since I'm off work. Tomorrow is my birthday, so the gf and I have some plans. No clue where I'll go yet, but I plan to set-off pretty early, ride until lunch-ish and then eat and head back toward home.

As for the mods on the bike, y'all might have seen it already, but here's how she sits right now.
I'm off on Friday as well!
RiderX1138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:51 PM   #29
Jono

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderX1138 View Post
Sup Memphis Riders! I'm looking for some people to cruise with. I don't have a Ninja, so hopefully you won't hold it against me :P

I'm in the Cordova Area!

Jp

Cool, another 250 rider in the Memphis area. I'd be happy to go for a ride with you. I'm fixing to get rid of my ninja anyways because I enjoy riding my KLX 250SF more. Plus I could use the money and don't really need 2 bikes at this time.

I haven't been riding much since it got really hot but I try to ride when I'm free and it isn't super hot.

So are you pretty new to riding?

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:55 PM   #30
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Quote:
I haven't been riding much since it got really hot but I try to ride when I'm free and it isn't super hot.
I've been riding just as much, but have sorta slipped back from ATGATT. Gloves, boots, helmet and riding pants, but just a t-shirt. :|

No excuse this week though!

If you are also off Friday, we could do a 250'palooza from Memphis and see what good backroads we can find. I'm not looking to rub off the chicken strips, just want some fun time on the bike.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 12:57 PM   #31
RiderX1138

Jono- I took a break from riding for some years after I dumped a Cruiser. I'm back in the saddle now!

Brad- I'd be happy to do that! I'll fill the tank up and hope for some fun!

Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:07 PM   #32
Jono

Quote:
I've been riding just as much, but have sorta slipped back from ATGATT. Gloves, boots, helmet and riding pants, but just a t-shirt. :|

No excuse this week though!

If you are also off Friday, we could do a 250'palooza from Memphis and see what good backroads we can find. I'm not looking to rub off the chicken strips, just want some fun time on the bike.
Ohhhh no! You're still better than 95% of the riders in this area. At least you wear some gear. Dude who lives down my street doesn't even wear a helmet. Haha

I work 11-4 this Friday but may be able to switch with somebody. What time y'all thinking?

Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:21 PM   #33
RiderX1138

I'm really up for whenever/ all day off from the grind at Toyota. The Wifey is working all day so. tadaaa!!

Old July 3rd, 2013, 01:25 PM   #34
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

Jonathan, my gf is also working Friday.

Jono, I was thinking about leaving around 8 or 9ish. I tried to get Joey to go also, but he's gotta work.

Old July 3rd, 2013, 04:05 PM   #35
Jono

If we do 8 I can ride for at least 2 hrs even if I can't get off. But I'll see what I can do.

Old July 4th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #36
RiderX1138

paaaadow! (Nevermind me, I make random noises at random times)

Old July 4th, 2013, 12:15 PM   #37
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Brown chicken brown cow

Old July 4th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #38
RiderX1138

Brad, I'll be hitting that bodyshop up now too!

Old July 4th, 2013, 04:04 PM   #39
Jono

See you guys tomorrow!

Old July 8th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #40
BRad704
Big Dreams, Small Wallet

For anyone following along... we DID get to ride Friday, but not the route I had in mind. The clouds darkened and wind picked up before we could get to Holly Springs National Forest, so we turned back and ended up riding about 100 miles around Shelby and Fayette Counties (in TN). Good ride with some good guys.