ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 12th, 2014, 09:39 PM   #1
NinjaNoob23
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250

Shifter Linkage Screw Up

Hey guys,

I was hoping my next post with you all would be one of rainbows and butterflies due to a project completed. However……I need to walk the plank of shame on this one for a stupid rookie mistake.

Interested on how stupid my screw up is? Weeeellll here goes…..
I was changing the chain and sprockets on my beastly 250. I put the shifter back onto the rod that the front sprocket is on (cam shaft rod?). Everything is fine and dandy, job complete it's all good. I sit on the bike and the shifter is up a little too high for my liking. I went down to take it off and the screw broke off inside the black coupler that goes onto the shaft. Most likely because Boris the Cave Man (me) overtightened the screw.
Soooo now I'm looking at a half broken off screw in the dang thing with no real hope of correcting the issue. I have gotten half of what is left in there out, problem is that theres a burr where the screw broke off inside and I'm afraid that it has stripped out the threads inside the coupler. Should also be noted that I have not fully gotten the broken screw out, just half of it……

Having said all that, I'm wondering if ya'll have any advice on what I should do from here…….I'm thinking about buying a new coupler and calling it a day.
NinjaNoob23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 12th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #2
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

I've never had much luck with screw extractors but that's an option. You'd probably want to run a tap down through the threads afterwards to clean up any buggered threads.

If you have the extractor and the tap you can give it a go but if not the part might be a similar price to the tools.

I'd probably just buy a replacement...
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 01:55 PM   #3
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

Probably easier to buy the replacement. Extractors work great only when you still the proper hole, on centered.

Old May 13th, 2014, 02:40 PM   #4
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

The burr is from the bolt twisting off, i would simply get a reverse drill bit- harbor freight sells it, simply try centering the smallest bit first and go up in size, eventually the bolt piece will simply unscrew out. I guess you could also drill out from the opposite side with a normal bit and it will twist it/push it out.

Old May 13th, 2014, 03:43 PM   #5
NinjaNoob23
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
The burr is from the bolt twisting off, i would simply get a reverse drill bit- harbor freight sells it, simply try centering the smallest bit first and go up in size, eventually the bolt piece will simply unscrew out. I guess you could also drill out from the opposite side with a normal bit and it will twist it/push it out.
I was going to do that, but I'm 90% sure that the threads are stripped due to that burr and me twisting the screw inside the coupler.

So I went ahead and bought a new linkage, thing is that it's from a 1996 zx750. Hopefully it'll fit, looks like it will. Guess we'll find out, unless someone knows something I don't?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191156674843...84.m1497.l2649

Old May 13th, 2014, 04:46 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
just use a ziptie and some duct tape

Old May 13th, 2014, 05:29 PM   #7
NinjaNoob23
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
just use a ziptie and some duct tape
Haha naahh, I think chicken wire and gorilla glue would be the better choice

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 13th, 2014, 05:40 PM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
not gorilla glue- it expands

Old May 13th, 2014, 05:49 PM   #9
DmbShn41
Wannabe Reborn

Name: Unregistered

Motorcycle(s): Blue 2008 Ninja 250

3D print it. That's more reliable...

Old May 13th, 2014, 05:52 PM   #10
mgentz
Board Member

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): 250R (street), 250R (dirt)

drill it, then tap in a smaller screw or bolt. twist like your tightening it as it will run all the way through. use less force next time.
mgentz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2014, 07:53 PM   #11
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

I had a Polaris 325 Trailboss that blew the centipetal clutch. Didn't have a clutch puller doojiggy so I looked up a DIY using a bolt and some other stuff (go easy on me this was years ago)

Long story short, the soft metal bolt expanded inside and was thoroughly destroyed. It took 3 days with extracters and picks before I gave up and kicked the stupid thing. Took it to the shop and they had it removed, rethreaded, and the clutch belt replaced in 20 minutes. While I am a firm believer that a motorcyclist should work on their own bikes, sometimes a white flag needs to be flown. You could even watch to see how they do it in case it happens again

Old May 19th, 2014, 04:40 PM   #12
NinjaNoob23
ninjette.org member

Put the new linkage on last night and toke a 45minute ride. Even though it is from a 96 ZX750, it fits like a glove and works as intended. Overall I'm a happy camper as far as correcting my screw up is concerned.

Just thought I'd share that the linkage works well if anyone else was wondering.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.