ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 10th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #1
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Talking Preparations for an 800 mile trip?

Wanted to ask if you guys insist on any pre-trip preperations. Details below.

The trip is to be from one tip of Texas to the other, that is El Paso to Brownsville. I'm very likely to mail all my clothes and living stuff there as I will be there for two months to do research. Feel free to go ahead and post now or continue reading what the gurus have suggested for me below.

1- tire fix kit; sheet metal screws, tire hole sealant compound, pump, stock toolkit, bike prop for raising the read tire if need be replaced. (just realized I don't quite get why the prop yet if I won't have a spare tire.

2- rain suit

3- check and maintain chain, brakes, cables, valves, spark plugs.i

4- food and water.

I think that's all I got for now. They suggested I take the trip at 60mph the whole way to reduce wear and tear considering the 250 runs high revs at 80mph, take a break every hour, and to make it a 2 day trip.

Look forward to your responses.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

From our sticky thread at the top of the Riding Skills area:

Riding Long Distances: Thread 1, Thread 2, Thread 3, Thread 4, Thread 5

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 10th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

No need to keep the bike at 60, at least not for longetivity's sake. It will happily run at 80+ forever as long as there is oil in it. Some of the older gen ninjettes were prone to losing oil out the airbox if at very high revs for sustained periods, but it won't be an issue for your bike.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2013, 09:02 PM   #4
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

I'd recommend a butt cushion for long rides. the 250's seat isn't the softest and no one likes a sore bum... Also, a "cramp buster" type deal is helpful on the wrist (most local shops seem to carry these). Maybe some saddle bags or a tail bag or tank bag. If you wear a backpack, try to either reduce the weight of it, or adjust the straps to allow it to rest on the passenger seat, effectively taking the weight off your back. Waterproof shielding for not only you and your bike but also your bags if the weather takes an unexpected turn. I always hook up a cigarete lighter style power socket (with in-line fuse and switch) to charge phones / gps / ipod or whatever. Also, don't forget, if you pass through tolls, some only accept exact change so be ready for that.

Old May 10th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #5
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Looks like you've got the basics covered. If your bike is in good mechanical condition then it should have no problem making the trip.

I'd start looking at things that would make the trip more comfortable for you, cause 800 miles on a ninja can get pretty tiring. When I take long trips I usually try to pull over once an hour to stretch and take a break.

You might want to consider a sprocket change also to lower the rpm's at high speed, but like Alex said a stock 250 can be run all day at 80 mph no problem.
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2013, 09:15 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Some sort of pain reliever.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 10th, 2013, 11:58 PM   #7
ajcadoo
Towster ['__'`,-,

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green Ninja 250 SE

Honestly, I did 90 miles today, half freeway and I was getting super sore. Wind was relentless, so I tucked mostly. But tucking aint comfortable either. Good luck man!
ajcadoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 06:17 AM   #8
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

I wouldn't worry about taking a break every three hours. I would take a break every three hours, because that's when you run out of gas.

Other than that it depends on the road, like someone said be prepared for tolls, if you are going in hot weather have a jacket that can handle the heat, maybe a cooling vest beneath it. If you are going to be doing it at all at night make sure you have layers.

No reason you can't do it in one day, but if you can't handle riding the bike for that long (no shame, just depends on what you are used to) then l would try to get the longest part done during day one. At least 500 miles. Make it easier on you the second day. After one long day the second day will be worse, so it might as well be shorter. If you make it to 600,650 or so, and you are sore but not exhausted, I would suggest just finishing, it will be easier than starting out sore and in pain.

You will want a hydration system that fits in a tank bag too. And bring some snacks, protein and complex carbs are good.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivion007 View Post
Wanted to ask if you guys insist on any pre-trip preparations.........
Look forward to your responses.
Consider the following and the weight and volume that solutions for them will take:

Noise, hard seat and vibrations: It can affect you more than anything else.

Wind: It will dry your skin out, you will need water + salts. You will need to stop to drain some of that (frequency depends on age).

Sun: Protect your eyes and your neck.

Insects: Since it is spring, they will splash on your visor (you will need abundant soft tissue with some enzymes) and on your radiator (old toothbrush?) and some may sting (some anti-inch ointment will be handy).

Road debris: They may puncture and even cut any of both tires, as well as hit your shins and hands (you may need more than a sheet-metal screw and a rear stand). Locate repair shops, gas stations and tow services along the way.

Thieves: Make your luggage hard to be removed and opened when you are away from the bike (remember stops for leaks?). If you stop for the night, consider extra locks and alarm for the bike. Some pepper spray may be very convincing at the right moment.

Police: Carry all your papers and documents.

Light: Carry spare light bulbs (especially the headlight) and fuses. Flashlight + batteries.

Fluids: Your chain will need re-lube (I do every 200 miles, less miles if raining hard), your engine may need some oil (check it at each stop) and some distilled water, and even some gas if the distance between gas stations is more than 200 miles. Clean all your fuel and air filters.

Miscellaneous: You never know when you may need soft wire, fuel hose, clutch cable, throttle cables, spare keys, nylon zip-ties and duct tape.

As for strategy:

Cruising speed of 75~80 indicated mph will reduce the suffering time for your butt and back with the only downside of less fuel economy (I keep my old-gen at 80~85 mph (~10K rpm) on highway for around 1 hour, every working day, with no problem and verified mileage of 55).

Splitting your first long trip in two days and a motel night may make it much more enjoyable and safe.
Consider as well that unexpected traffic, flat tires and weather problems are common occurrences that take huge chunks of Sunlight time.

If you stop for a 10 minutes break after each hour of riding and keep rolling at 75 mph, it will take you a total of around 6 hours of uneventful traveling to complete half of your journey (400 miles).

Sorry for the long list: I am old because I am cautions..........., I mean, the other way around.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2013, 01:48 PM   #10
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Thanks guys!

And as fir Alex, I suppose I didn't use the right keywords in the search. I couldn't find anything
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote