ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 27th, 2016, 09:19 AM   #1
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Skully is no more.

So it looks like Skully may be closing their doors and leaving all of their customers in the wind.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/07/26/on...share=facebook

Sorry to anyone that pre-ordered.

Last futzed with by iamjacob; July 27th, 2016 at 09:24 AM. Reason: article was updated
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2016, 09:33 AM   #2
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Hopefully someone else will continue their work. It's only natural evolution of the helmet to join the 21st century.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2016, 07:05 AM   #3
allanoue
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2016, 09:39 PM   #4
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Stinks for everyone who invested.

Old August 1st, 2016, 10:19 PM   #5
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
"The shutdown leaves several vendors and Skully’s manufacturer Flextronics with unpaid bills and at least 50 full-time employees out of a job. It’s unclear if any of the vendors will be paid.

That also means the more than 3,000 people who pre-ordered a helmet may never get one – and one source tells us it’s doubtful any of them will be receiving a refund."

Can they actually do this?

I thought when a company went down the drain, they still have to fulfill any orders which they acquired prior? The CEO walked out for about 10 days before the company dissolved.. Drag that sucker's arse for leaving it hanging without proper solution for its customers.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 03:00 AM   #6
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
I'm very disappointed, they looked like very nice helmets.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2016, 10:26 AM   #7
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abu_Mishary View Post
"The shutdown leaves several vendors and Skully’s manufacturer Flextronics with unpaid bills and at least 50 full-time employees out of a job. It’s unclear if any of the vendors will be paid.

That also means the more than 3,000 people who pre-ordered a helmet may never get one – and one source tells us it’s doubtful any of them will be receiving a refund."

I thought when a company went down the drain, they still have to fulfill any orders which they acquired prior? The CEO walked out for about 10 days before the company dissolved.. Drag that sucker's arse for leaving it hanging without proper solution for its customers.
Yes, they invested in the helmet, and there was no guarantee that they'd be made.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 11:48 AM   #8
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:

"What you have stands for what you owe" even in a corporate context. Meaning the preorders will, at best, be seen as liabilities for the company and anything the company still owns will be auctioned off to help pay those people back proportionally.

If they had a warehouse of helmets they couldn't "close" the company and reopen it under a different name to avoid filling the orders, but if the helmets and/or refunds aren't there -- you're out of luck.

Old August 2nd, 2016, 06:32 PM   #9
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Thanks Yakaru for the clarification. Thanks Nicky for the thought too.

My first impression was that they just close down and leave.

But what Yakaru said was correct. Any prior business engagement with customers will be seen as liabilities to the company. Company assets may be auctioned to pay up debts. But why didn't the company offer itself for sale?

Just asking. Not too familiar with this company.

Old August 3rd, 2016, 08:11 AM   #10
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Thanks Yakaru for the clarification. Thanks Nicky for the thought too.

My first impression was that they just close down and leave. :D

But what Yakaru said was correct. Any prior business engagement with customers will be seen as liabilities to the company. Company assets may be auctioned to pay up debts. But why didn't the company offer itself for sale?

Just asking. Not too familiar with this company.
Did you read the article? It mentions a number of these things...

There's question about the details regarding the CEO leaving.
Quote:
According to a source, Weller botched a possible acquisition deal with Chinese company LeSports before leaving the company last week. Another source inside the company said at the time Weller did not ruin the relationship with LeSports and that the deal might still happen now that the former CEO was out of the picture.

However, Weller counters that story, telling TechCrunch he and his brother were forced out of the company after investors disagreed with the LeSports deal he brought to the table, opting instead for an inside round. Another source familiar with the matter confirms his story that he brought in the LeSports deal but said Skully was rapidly running out of cash and it was down to the eleventh hour determining if the numbers added up.
It looks like they're still working to keep it going, if possible.
Quote:
Update: though it seems an official shut down looms imminent, some within the leadership are holding out hope still.

“The SKULLY executive team is working diligently on closing a round of funding so that we can continue to fulfill our pre-orders and delight our customers,” marketing VP Carlos Rodriguez told TechCrunch late Tuesday night.
The website is still up, which is a good sign (they've been saying it would go offline soon).

I love technology, but I'm not sure how much I like this product. The tech is all integrated into an expensive helmet. When you get a new helmet in 5 years, you're throwing all this away. I'd prefer a system where you can install it into your own helmet (which may not even be possible in reality). This would let you pick the helmet you prefer (brand, shape, color, features, etc.) and transfer the Skully tech when you get a new one. Other than the HUD (which is obviously a major feature), my phone and $150 Sena headset can do basically everything the Skully can.

For the rearview, I think I prefer Reevu's system. It's a simple optical reflection system, so there's not really anything to go wrong with it and it doesn't require power. It's just a reflector above your view, very similar to a car's rearview mirror.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2016, 09:58 AM   #11
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
Did you read the article? It mentions a number of these things...

There's question about the details regarding the CEO leaving.

It looks like they're still working to keep it going, if possible.

The website is still up, which is a good sign (they've been saying it would go offline soon).

I love technology, but I'm not sure how much I like this product. The tech is all integrated into an expensive helmet. When you get a new helmet in 5 years, you're throwing all this away. I'd prefer a system where you can install it into your own helmet (which may not even be possible in reality). This would let you pick the helmet you prefer (brand, shape, color, features, etc.) and transfer the Skully tech when you get a new one. Other than the HUD (which is obviously a major feature), my phone and $150 Sena headset can do basically everything the Skully can.

For the rearview, I think I prefer Reevu's system. It's a simple optical reflection system, so there's not really anything to go wrong with it and it doesn't require power. It's just a reflector above your view, very similar to a car's rearview mirror.
The HUD is the only thing
I have a Reevu. To look in the helmet mirror you need to take your eyes off the road and refocus your eyes. With a Skully you would not. The other biggest reason I take my eyes off the road is to look at the speedo, again Skully puts it in front with no need to refocus.

I still have hope, just not much.

It does look like I will be getting a new Reevu before I can get a Skully.

Old August 3rd, 2016, 10:14 AM   #12
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I have a Reevu. To look in the helmet mirror you need to take your eyes off the road and refocus your eyes. With a Skully you would not. The other biggest reason I take my eyes off the road is to look at the speedo, again Skully puts it in front with no need to refocus.

Yeah, a visor integrated HUD I see as the thing I really want. The rest of what Skully did I have covered.

Old August 3rd, 2016, 10:35 AM   #13
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Yup,

I was interested until I put a lot of thought into it. The price of the helmet was too much to do with the technology and not the helmet. I want a proven helmet with additional tech.

I couldn't imagine having to bin a helmet with over $1000 of fully functional tech inside because you went down in it. An aftermarket HUD for a helmet would be the way to go.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 3rd, 2016, 12:12 PM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
A product like google glass had an opportunity here but alas... The tech must be disconnected from the helmet or the cost isn't really justified for your average rider.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2016, 01:55 PM   #15
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
This was actually my first thought about Google Glass, before the obvious questions of safety. Would make for an awesome HUD inside the helmet.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2016, 05:58 PM   #16
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
According to a source, Weller botched a possible acquisition deal with Chinese company LeSports before leaving the company last week. Another source inside the company said at the time Weller did not ruin the relationship with LeSports and that the deal might still happen now that the former CEO was out of the picture.
"According to a source" is not a definitive decision to where the company is heading. Besides, the article also mentioned on the dismissal of Weller;

Quote:
However, Weller counters that story, telling TechCrunch he and his brother were forced out of the company after investors disagreed with the LeSports deal he brought to the table, opting instead for an inside round. Another source familiar with the matter confirms his story that he brought in the LeSports deal but said Skully was rapidly running out of cash and it was down to the eleventh hour determining if the numbers added up.
And the addition of how the board saw Weller;
Quote:
Adding to that, we’ve been told the board thought Weller has been so difficult to deal with since leaving, they now don’t see the point in salvaging the company he started.
There are too many contradictions in this article. Weller was said to have botched a deal but he said that the deal was rejected and informed that he was kicked out instead...

The board said that Weller is difficult to deal with after leaving and another "source" said that some investors are thinking it's better to shut down the whole company instead. I do not think they are serious about "putting the company up for sale".

Last futzed with by Abu_Mishary; August 3rd, 2016 at 07:01 PM. Reason: corrections
Abu_Mishary is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 3rd, 2016, 06:53 PM   #17
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Motorcycling is already a small percent of the population, and a small percent of that population could afford that price tag.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2016, 08:08 AM   #18
InvisiBill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:

I have a $60 GPS speedo HUD from Amazon. It works great, except that it doesn't work... It does exactly what it's supposed to, but the angle of the 500's windscreen means I have to put my eyes in my stomach to actually see the reflection of the HUD.

But when you're lined up with it, it's perfect.

I wonder if I could mount it in my helmet and use the visor for the projection surface. Hmmmmmm...

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***

Old August 4th, 2016, 08:16 AM   #19
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
That would be cool!

Old August 4th, 2016, 08:27 AM   #20
InvisiBill

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
"According to a source" is not a definitive decision to where the company is heading.
I don't think there's any dispute that they were looking into buyers or additional funding. The details are fuzzy (with both sides claiming to be trying to do what's best and the other side disrupting their work), but they didn't just say, "Oops, we're out of money. We give up." It may or may not work out in the end, via one or more methods of getting more money into the company, but the executives are/were at least considering it.

Quote:
Besides, the article also mentioned on the dismissal of Weller;

And the addition of how the board saw Weller;

There are too many contradictions in this article. Weller was said to have botched a deal but he said that the deal was rejected and informed that he was kicked out instead...
That was exactly my point. There are conflicting stories about his departure. At this point, it's not a simple fact that he just walked out on the company (even if one side claims that).

Quote:
My first impression was that they just close down and leave.
This is what I was addressing. It's not that he just bailed from the company right before it crashed, and the company just bailed on its investors/customers. It's a lot more complex than that, as evidenced by all the conflicting claims shown in just this one story.

Old August 4th, 2016, 08:48 PM   #21
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
You got to ride tuck in behind the windshield all the time in order to make it "work".. whether you're about to stop or even running for some errands...

Old August 5th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #22
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
No hope
SKULLY Ceases Operations
It is with great regret we must announce that SKULLY will formally cease operations, effective immediately. Over the past several weeks our management team has worked feverishly to raise additional capital but unforeseen challenges and circumstances, beyond our control, made this effort impossible. What this means now is that SKULLY will no longer be able to ship AR-1 Units or process refunds directly.

Substantially all of the assets of SKULLY are now subject to liens held by a secured creditor. The management team does not know if there will be any value above the amount of the secured debt. In addition, at this time, we are not aware whether there will be any distribution amounts available to unsecured creditors. SKULLY now plans to file a Chapter 7 Bankruptcy case within the next several weeks. You will receive notice from the Bankruptcy Court and instructions on how to file a claim.

Our team is devastated and deeply saddened that our valued partners, vendors, employees and customers have been negatively affected by what has transpired. We realize there are many unanswered questions and that this is a very upsetting situation. We are truly sorry.

-SKULLY

Old August 7th, 2016, 06:37 PM   #23
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
I guess the best lesson to learn from SKULLY is that to buy from well established companies? Feel sorry for the customers.

Old August 7th, 2016, 07:20 PM   #24
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Ouch

Old August 7th, 2016, 09:52 PM   #25
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
booooooo
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2016, 06:12 AM   #26
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
Lawsuit claims startup founders used company money to pay for strip club, groceries, and rent

http://www.businessinsider.com/lawsu...ub-rent-2016-8

Old August 9th, 2016, 07:14 AM   #27
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
So it was business as usual!.?

Old August 9th, 2016, 01:42 PM   #28
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

Revzilla is covering the lawsuit too.

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread...ooting-company

Vipers, motorcycles, and strippers oh my!

Old August 9th, 2016, 01:59 PM   #29
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I'm gonna start a corporation anybody wanna contribute?

Old August 9th, 2016, 02:31 PM   #30
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
I'm gonna start a corporation anybody wanna contribute?
need partners?

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old August 9th, 2016, 03:39 PM   #31
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
need partners?
Might as well... You like vipers, motorcycles, and strippers?

Old August 9th, 2016, 06:51 PM   #32
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Lawsuit claims startup founders used company money to pay for strip club, groceries, and rent

http://www.businessinsider.com/lawsu...ub-rent-2016-8
I guess this benefit was not covered in his letter of appointment.. lol.

Some companies in Malaysia DO PAY for the CEO's accommodation, including company car with a driver, phone bills, internet access, daily newspapers. They just need to bring their arse to work daily! lol.

They are treated as if they are a deity of some sort...

Old August 10th, 2016, 08:16 PM   #33
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
Might as well... You like vipers, motorcycles, and strippers?
do you really need to ask?

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old August 10th, 2016, 08:22 PM   #34
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post