Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old February 18th, 2016, 12:48 AM   #41
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by toEleven View Post
I can't mark your post as helpful, so let me just say thank you instead.
No prob. I have my helpful moments every once in awhile.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2016, 02:19 PM   #42
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
Here's how to pass the time while waiting: head North on 10 to Belfountain. When you can strafe Knee down on that beautiful little road called the Forks ( something like that!) then you're ready for a litre bike!

J/k: it's a busy little road and no runoffs! Ride it at a civilized pace and enjoy the beauty in between your studies!
lol
Been there, done those. I like it but I prefer river road. Forks are a hot spot for cops, stupid cyclists everywhere and don't even get me started when there is a car and no opportunity to pass it

Old February 18th, 2016, 06:10 PM   #43
HoneyBadgerRy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
lol
Been there, done those. I like it but I prefer river road. Forks are a hot spot for cops, stupid cyclists everywhere and don't even get me started when there is a car and no opportunity to pass it
In my town we have one good road, and on a 600 or a 1000 passing a car is no big deal, but on my ninja, I have to come like a bat out if hell from the corner before the longest straight, shift perfectly, squeeze everything out of the bike, brake hard, and corner fast just to pass a minivan going a little over the speed limit.

Old February 18th, 2016, 10:19 PM   #44
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

I'd like to be clear that no one in this thread is discussing doing anything illegal under any circumstance.

...back to your scheduled programming....

If the DR650 seller would return my calls, I'd have a new project and could end my complaining in this thread. On the other hand, if the bike was sold -- the 450 honda is next on the list because there aren't any other options.

Old February 18th, 2016, 11:53 PM   #45
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
little over the speed limit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
I'd like to be clear that no one in this thread is discussing doing anything illegal under any circumstance.

Old February 19th, 2016, 11:21 PM   #46
corksil

Feckin hell. Took a look at the suzuki 650 today and as much as I love a project -- that thing was done. I hate to sound dramatic, but it needed ....everything. 27k miles and I don't think it was ever within 40ft of an oil or lubricant of any kind. Looks like it was a crash test bike of some kind. The shifter and rear brake levers were chewing holes in the engine casings. Both brakes were inoperational. Deceleration was achieved only by downshifting to first gear and letting the clutch out while the rear wheel locked when dragging feet for additional stopping power. Dented rims. Bald tires. Wheel bearings? None. Head bearings? Must've been a dealer option this bike didn't come with. I have never seen a motorcycle in such a state of disrepair. Dangit, I still need a new project. But not that one.

The search continues.

Old February 19th, 2016, 11:52 PM   #47
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
"Garage kept - $6000 obo"
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2016, 08:07 AM   #48
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Some people drink,
Some people smoke,
Some people do drugs,
Some people have to have the latest gadgets, TV, phone, etc..
Some people have to have the newest model vehicle..

I'm addicted 2 wheel... human powered or fuel consuming.. I have owned over 40 motorcycles in the last two decades of getting my moto license.
I leave the aggressive riding on the tracks, on public roads I ride to survive.

Latest model sportbikes are sexy, performance are well beyond public street needs and most rider's ability. IMO, there will always be another latest model sportbike that outperform the last. There is no need to get one unless I know for sure I can make a profit when I sell it after the novelty is gone. Since insurance rate for the latest sportbikes are usually higher than the rest, I rarely consider them as smart purchase.

Dual sport/supermoto are fun bikes, some require more frequent maintenance when ridden for long distance/time, comfort level is not as much of a priority when compared to other bike, too. I keep a dual sport in my garage since the trailhead is just 1/2 mile from my driveway, lots of fun to hone different riding skills.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2016, 08:21 PM   #49
toEleven
Slower than you.

Name: toEleven

Motorcycle(s): CBR600RR, CB750, EX300 (半蔵)

MOTM - May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
Feckin hell. Took a look at the suzuki 650 today and as much as I love a project -- that thing was done.
Is there a motorcycle equivalent of the various animal cruelty groups? ...there should be.

Old February 20th, 2016, 10:23 PM   #50
corksil

^^ I agree. PEMA -- people for the ethical treatment of motorcycles.. er wait. PETM.. PETOM... PEMA sounds better.

Imagine being a PEMA officer. Complete with shiny badge and a whole slew of bounty-hunter type "rights."

You could show up on a property, wave a badge around and yell "I'm from PEMA! This bike is being taken into custody for negligence and lack of fair treatment!" And then load the bike onto a truck and drive off.

Hell. In this modern world, animals have more rights than humans. What about the motorbikes? Who cares about them? No one, apparently.

After continued searching I'm not sure that the bike I'm looking for exists. Might have to build it myself. I like large dual front calipers/rotors, narrow bars with steep rake and clipons, insane torque and gearing low enough to launch the rider into orbit... Wide street tires with lots of grip.. Fuel economy? Not a factor. Loud pipe? I think I'm finally half-past deaf. The hard part of the equation is finding something with low maintenance intervals.

High displacement would lower maintenance intervals due to having enough power that pushing the machine hard would rarely happen. A small bike, very nimble.

Maybe something like a honda grom with a cbr1000 powerplant, but the short wheelbase would make it too twitchy.

I don't know anymore. I used to have the answers, but these days I'm no longer sure.

Old February 21st, 2016, 08:20 AM   #51
"A"
vampire

Cool

After having owned over 40 bikes, ridden double that if not more.. I find myself going back to the basics, a true go-anywhere bike that is light and nimble, easy to work on, requires minimal maintenance and rock solid dependability.

Not likely that it will win any speed awards, but getting to your destination would surely be more rewarding... especially around Maui.

Old February 22nd, 2016, 04:13 PM   #52
TP Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 300 Ninja

Stop whining and got on with enjoying your life here and now.
TP Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 22nd, 2016, 06:35 PM   #53
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP Ninja View Post
Stop whining and got on with enjoying your life here and now.
Welcome Toilet Paper Ninja!

I agree,buy the ****, finance it if you must. But do it now. and often.
YOLO! besides ,what is $6k anyways? Get a second job and pay it down in no time.

Old February 22nd, 2016, 10:17 PM   #54
corksil

I really need a new project. Without something half-built in the garage and awaiting completion, what purpose does my life have?

Found a 1990 suzuki bandit, inline-4, carbs, big front brakes... 41 thousand miles. $2500.

Looking for something old and worn out, ready for a rebuild from mild to wild. Overbore, stroker kit, race cams.. short gearing, suspension overhaul.. Damnit when will it be my turn. Given my skill set, I could turn anything into a beastly machine but there is no replacement for displacement.

Something with large pistons from an older time -- coupled with modern technological upgrades... and very large front brakes.

Steep rake, stiff front forks. Large pipe. Not much concern for looks or appearance as long as it has a hell of a lot of excessive power.

Old February 23rd, 2016, 05:46 AM   #55
"A"
vampire

Where in Maui do you even get to use all that "excessive power" for longer than 5 seconds without having to slam on the brakes?
Let alone that you might loose your license when you get caught, or endanger yourself and other people on public roads.
Playing with "excessive power"? best done on the track where there are less chance of endangering others.

BTW, $2500 is way too much for a 90 Bandit w/3k mi... 41k mi., walk away, money better spent riding your Ninja 250 at red line on track.

Old March 5th, 2016, 08:58 PM   #56
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

I put 28k miles on an 09 CBR600. Great bike. Built well. No issues but one dead battery. Handles awesome. Do it.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 5th, 2016, 10:36 PM   #57
corksil

^^^^ I obey all speed limits on public roads. I do not condone reckless riding because it gives all bikers a bad name. There's a kart track available and a dirt track as well. And the best drag strip in the islands is close to home.

Thanks for the info greg. They are very well engineered machines indeed.

Old March 6th, 2016, 04:03 PM   #58
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

^^not at all. Good luck with your decision.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote