ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 30th, 2015, 07:25 PM   #1
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Pushing the piston in on caliper

So... I was taking my wheels off of my cbr600rr to get the tires changed and long story short while the tires were off the front brake was pulled by an idiot (not me, another idiot) and now the pads are pushed out too much and won't fit on the rotor....

Is there a simple way I can fix this without having to go through the bs of removing the pads? Is it possible for me to push the pistons back without damaging the pads? :/

Thanks in advanced everyone.

Old May 30th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #2
snapshot
Fogwalker

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 "Matilda"

Ouch! That's a tough one.

I'd pull the pads so that I could make sure that things stay aligned as I pushed the pistons back in. As one piston goes in, the other will want to come out, so you have to secure it first. A correctly sized C-clamp is handy for that. Do the push-in by hand, though. You'll need to feel what's going on.

Luck,

J~

Old May 30th, 2015, 08:28 PM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the caliper looks like a big C... one side of these calipers has pistons. inbetween the C are the two brake pads. use two channel locks or two c clamps or something and squeeze from behind the pistons on one side of the caliper, all the way over the two brake pads to the back of one of the brake pads. so that the channel locks are pushing on the brake pad backing plate and the outside of the caliper to squeeze the pistons in. clean the pistons first.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 30th, 2015, 09:54 PM   #4
EsrTek
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Small piece of wood between c-clamp and brake pad, as centered as possible, and watch for even pressure as you push them back in.

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2015, 10:00 PM   #5
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
You could leave the pads in place and try a pushing in a pair of thin wooden construction shims from Lowe's or Home Depot to spread the pads apart.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 30th, 2015, 10:34 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcj13 View Post
You could leave the pads in place and try a pushing in a pair of thin wooden construction shims from Lowe's or Home Depot to spread the pads apart.
I like this idea, as @Hero Danny's new bike has eight pistons to push back simultaneously, if I am not wrong.

As all pistons are connected to one single pressure source, pushing back the pistons of one caliper may push out the other four pistons.

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2015, 11:33 PM   #7
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Danny please don't misunderstand what I'm saying, but if you're not so sure about how to do this job, you could go an easy way and take a look in the bay where the calipers are quiet cheap to get, i.e. http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-Honda-...604684&vxp=mtr or here http://www.ebay.com/itm/07-08-Honda-...7f020f&vxp=mtr
Your friend will be happy to share some money with you, I think.

Many guys change the calipers of the CBR 600 to a better system, bc Tokico calipers seem to be well known.

Good luck for you
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2015, 11:51 PM   #8
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Ouch!!! Why would he/she pull the lever knowing the calipers were off the bike?!?!

Try using a small C-clamp and a piece of thin wood (grab some from the paint dept of Home Depot)....the ones they give out for free when you buy paint. Hopefully you have the tiny c-clamps that would fit in there.

Old May 31st, 2015, 06:23 AM   #9
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
just use something to force them back into the caliper. If the pads are still good and you don't want to damage them trying something like a plastic pry bar or something of the likes. You can always use a screwdriver but can damage the pads. If there is enough to get a c clamp on then use that to force them back in. Whatever works, it's not rocket science.

One tip though. Often as the pads get worn the pistons need to come out further to get the worn pads to meet the rotor, then the brake fluid takes up the extra space inside the caliper as the pistons move out. Your brake level goes down so you put more in.

So if you force the pistons out, you will push that brake fluid back into the MC reservoir and there might be more fluid in the system than can fit back into the reservoir so take some fluid out of the reservoir as you push the pistons back in.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Last futzed with by subxero; May 31st, 2015 at 08:16 AM.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2015, 10:27 AM   #10
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Just an update. I tried it once more and they were able to slip in. I don't know how but it was fine. Huh... I'm surprised they didn't push forward...

While I was down there I did apply some brake cleaner to the pistons.

Anyway, tires are on and i'm happy with them!

Old May 31st, 2015, 12:07 PM   #11
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Ouch!!! Why would he/she pull the lever knowing the calipers were off the bike?!?!
People are magically attracted to any kind of levers, especially the male kind... So, if a male finds a lonely lever attached anywhere in the world, he'll be more likely pushed by its brain to pull that lever just get the feeling of the pressure against the inside of its fingers... If there's no feedback from the lever, they'll give it a second try right away to confirm the lack of feeling...

Only after the brain will kick in and start asking why there's no feedback, then the male might be tempted to find the reason and finding the rotor is missing and now the pistons are out of the caliper or simply remembers the wheel was off...

It happened to me with my mountain bikes and my ninja 250... Even if I was the one who took off the wheel. After a short lapse of time, my brain resets and here I go pulling my levers...

Whenever I took off a wheel, I try to jam a plastic piece between the pads to be sure the piston won't move...

Sorry, for the long off subject post, by I don't want to go cleaning the house, so I procrastinate everywhere I can...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2015, 10:58 PM   #12
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Good to see that the problem is solved
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2015, 11:23 PM   #13
Flying
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken neck View Post
People are magically attracted to any kind of levers, especially the male kind... So, if a male finds a lonely lever attached anywhere in the world, he'll be more likely pushed by its brain to pull that lever just get the feeling of the pressure against the inside of its fingers... If there's no feedback from the lever, they'll give it a second try right away to confirm the lack of feeling...

Only after the brain will kick in and start asking why there's no feedback, then the male might be tempted to find the reason and finding the rotor is missing and now the pistons are out of the caliper or simply remembers the wheel was off...

It happened to me with my mountain bikes and my ninja 250... Even if I was the one who took off the wheel. After a short lapse of time, my brain resets and here I go pulling my levers...

Whenever I took off a wheel, I try to jam a plastic piece between the pads to be sure the piston won't move...

Sorry, for the long off subject post, by I don't want to go cleaning the house, so I procrastinate everywhere I can...
Flying is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 1st, 2015, 08:17 AM   #14
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken neck View Post

Hahaha, thanks for the good laugh.

Old June 1st, 2015, 08:35 AM   #15
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Crack the bleeder loose also, two benefits- makes pushing the pistons in easier also flushes and does not push old fluid back into the system. Put a hose on the bleeder to catch the juice.