ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old October 29th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #121
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Pay attention to your next face to face conversation and tell me the percentage of eye to eye contact throughout (male or female). Unless who you are talking to is bleeding confidence, it's gunna be less than 50%. Hell, I am crazy confident and I don't always make 50%. ijs Human natures is not a reason.
I've actually been told that I hold eye contact more than most people by a few of my co-workers. I am fairly certain I don't hit 50% of the time though with few exceptions. You can tell a lot about a person from their eyes.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old October 29th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #122
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
I am sorry.
Nah it's cool; I prefer it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
that's it. i will start stalking you just so i can randomly say hi to you on the street.

/creep.
I'll make sure to shank you because it would be funny

Old October 29th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #123
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
You can tell a lot about a person from their eyes.

50% or better is really hard.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #124
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i have often found that people that i fear, or expect to be assholes without really knowing them... it turns out almost without fail to be my own prejudice and most of them turn out to be friendly, caring people that aren't total freaks if i spend the time to stop and talk with them and get to know them. i'm always the biggest asshole i know. you should see the hippies in norcal. some guy you would expect to be a mass murderer is actually a painter that rescues sick dogs and has a phd but decided he wanted to instead sit in a park playing songs on guitar. even your average LA bum. true, if you catch them all twacked out they're gonna be weird. but if they stumble on your garage party and you're cool to them guess what, they're typically cool back. i guess what i am saying is that everybody has different expectations of what normal is. just because someone else's normal isn't normal to you doesn't mean they're intentionally trying to disturb you. with that said, there are certainly a lot of assholes out there. but prejudice is prejudice, regardless of where it comes from.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old October 29th, 2014, 01:10 PM   #125
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14

Link to original page on YouTube.

antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2014, 01:24 PM   #126
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
rapists don't deserve genitals.

Old October 29th, 2014, 01:56 PM   #127
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Pay attention to your next face to face conversation and tell me the percentage of eye to eye contact throughout (male or female). Unless who you are talking to is bleeding confidence, it's gunna be less than 50%. Hell, I am crazy confident and I don't always make 50%. ijs Human natures is not a reason.
When I talk to people I make it a point to have eye to eye contact. I want them to look at my eyes so they don't realize I'm peeing on them.

Old October 29th, 2014, 02:11 PM   #128
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

"Prove me wrong, male or female.... anything less than perfection is intolerable in the world today." - csmith

Old October 29th, 2014, 03:31 PM   #129
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Catcalling is one of those things men will never get their heads around. "I'd love it if women said they wanted to bang me twice every city block!" This doesn't take into account the immense power imbalance between men and women, both socially and physically.

The best way I've found to explain it to dudes is: imagine Bubba McLargeHuge, an enormous bear of a gay man. He could bench two of you with one arm and you would never win in a fight against him. He's telling you how grabbable your ass looks, and asking you whether you're gonna be home alone tonight and where you're going, and telling you the explicit things he'd like to do to you. Or slowing his car and following you as you walk on the sidewalk, for 300 feet, silently. If you don't say anything to him, he gets angry, if you tell him to piss off, he gets angry, if you tell him politely to leave you alone, he gets angry.

That's the ones that are immediately threatening. You might just be walking down the street, minding your own business, and Brick McShithouse yells, Hey bitch! Nice crotch bulge! And suddenly you're thinking, oh crap, I hope this isn't another Bubba McLargeHuge. What if he starts following me again? What if he gets mad? What's he going to do? You don't know. You have no idea what way the situation will go, but just having to think about the times you felt seriously threatened, and wondering if it's about to happen again...

Within the last week, I've had to walk two blocks over to get groceries 3 times. One time, a guy started wolf whistling and wouldn't stop till the light turned green and he had to drive off. Another, a guy slowed his car down and poked half his body out of the window, and yelled if I wanted to have some fun with him. I don't even know what the third guy said, some incomprehensible hooting and hollering. And that was all just in the last week. I'm just getting goddamn jalapenos from the store. Leave me alone. I didn't ask for a damn "compliment" about how nice my t&a look, I didn't ask you to tell me what you want to do to me in a bedroom. A compliment is hey nice smile/shoes/bag/ninjette, not nice (insert highly sexualized body part commonly used to titillate here). I'm not some kind of aberration either, I went to an all-chick bar crawl recently and we spent a legit 2 hours sharing catcalling/harassment horror stories.

What will you lose by not catcalling women in the street? "This guy just whistled at me and went to grab my ass, I'm going to date him" - no one ever. And if you DO feel like you're gonna lose something by not catcalling women, you may have a critical personality error.
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:41 PM   #130
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
there are a lot of assholes. but not all men are rapist pieces of ****. so please do not say "catcalling is one of those things men will never get their heads around". this is just as prejudice as those catcallers. you are lumping all men into one massive statement.

Old October 29th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #131
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
there are a lot of assholes. but not all men are rapist pieces of ****. so please do not say "catcalling is one of those things men will never get their heads around". this is just as prejudice as those catcallers. you are lumping all men into one massive statement.
You should know better than to take generalizations as truly meaning every member of a demographic. If you know it doesn't apply to you, then you have no reason to worry about it. The "not all men" argument only serves to derail discussions of feminism and put the focus on men and their feelings.

Old October 29th, 2014, 06:37 PM   #132
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjinsky View Post
This video really peeves me. Some of that was harassment, sure, but I make smalltalk with strangers all the time, male or female, attractive or not. Should I be considered a sex offender for that?
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2014, 03:42 AM   #133
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Then there's the female developers being driven out of their homes by threats.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29821050
and female conferences cancelled after death threats
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-29626809

Britain has now started tracking down jailing these anonymous death threat creeps and it is about time the US followed suit.
(and before anybody starts, death threats are not a "freedom of speech" issue)
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2014, 06:54 AM   #134
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Death threats ( and far less antisocial behavior) are tracked down and punished in the US all the time. The public school systems are a self appointed enforcement agency in matters dealing with all kids up to high school and after that, many colleges do the same thing.
From the net, from Washington state..
14,876 students were suspended in the 2008-2009 school year because of bullying and 442 were expelled, according to data from the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction
It's easy to see that the schools are trying to protect their students.
It takes a little deeper investigation to understand that they are also aggressively managing their own risk. Win-Win situation ?
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2014, 07:14 AM   #135
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

Thanks Eddie, Good to know
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2014, 07:59 AM   #136
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
You should know better than to take generalizations as truly meaning every member of a demographic. If you know it doesn't apply to you, then you have no reason to worry about it. The "not all men" argument only serves to derail discussions of feminism and put the focus on men and their feelings.
I agree. Ugly women shouldn't feel threatened by catcalling since they never get catcalled. Good thing generalizations don't actually mean anything if they don't apply to you.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 30th, 2014, 08:14 AM   #137
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda View Post
I agree. Ugly women shouldn't feel threatened by catcalling since they never get catcalled. Good thing generalizations don't actually mean anything if they don't apply to you.
If statements like that really hurt your ego (which is really the most they're doing) you may want to rethink your opinions on women and your manhood. On the other hand, catcalling and other forms of harrassment make women fear for their lives. There's a difference. A man's ego doesn't take priority over a woman's life.

Old October 30th, 2014, 08:46 AM   #138
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
I'm with Rebecca and Eve on this.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #139
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Panda's a good guy...I think he was baiting you.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2014, 10:14 AM   #140
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:

lets swap things around shall we?

driving is one of those things women will never be good at.

see how it doesn't work the way you're thinking it should? going by your logic, if you're a woman and a good driver, this statement should mean nothing to you, right? except that's not true. that's a horribly sexist remark. because it is GENERALIZING AN ENTIRE GENDER. this is prejudice.

prejudice is prejudice, regardless of if it comes from someone who is commonly a target of prejudice.

Old October 30th, 2014, 10:44 AM   #141
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
If you know it doesn't apply to you, then you have no reason to worry about it.
I was trying to stay out of this, but this one comment is making me twitch. Really now? I expected better.

I know what you intend - that comments applied towards rough generalizations shouldn't be taken personally since they are not directed personally. I have a CD of a comedian who uses the rough generalizations between men and women for a whole set. Women critique random strangers outside the fitting rooms. Men greet their friends with vulgar comments. Ha ha, everyone laugh it's funny.

But as alex pointed out, it doesn't work that way towards real situations. "Men harass by catcalling." "Women suck at driving." That hurts everyone, whether it applies personally or not. I would hate to have my insurance rates go up, or my driving restricted, because "women can't drive".

Should I shrug off @M42's experience because some men harassed her, since it doesn't apply to me? Just because I have never been catcalled, I should have no worries about it? That comes dangerously close to "Well, since I don't get catcalls, it must be her fault somehow." No no no no, never!

True, there are a ton of men who are respectful towards other people that they can offer genuine compliments without coming across as creepy or harassing. True, there are some men that feel entitled enough that they can make rude sexual comments towards (primarily) women and expect to get away with it.

True, stopping the conversation to say "wait, not all .... are that way" does derail the point that was being made. But also true that the generalization that caused the comment hurts just as much as the example given.

This conversation does need to happen. Equality is not here and the conversation needs to continue until everyone is so equal there is no reason to talk about it anymore. But the conversation can only be beneficial if it works towards balancing the genders without shaming or downplaying either side.

That was a ramble, and I'm sorry about that. I feel strongly about the issue, even if I am not the most eloquent at expressing my thoughts.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #142
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
Panda's a good guy...I think he was baiting you.
I hear he's a master at baiting!

Old October 30th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #143
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17

Why is it so hard for guys to get how uncomfortable and unnerving that kind of crap is???

Not the "hi how are you" but the "nice ass" stuff. I'm not your "babe" "honey" "sugar" or "sweet cheeks". Come on. Its rude at the bare minimum. Dont talk to me like i'm a bit of meat for you viewing pleasure.

And i don't believe many if any of the guys here are "those guys". So please, stop taking things to hart.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2014, 10:53 AM   #144
Panda
not an actual panda

Quote:
If statements like that really hurt your ego (which is really the most they're doing) you may want to rethink your opinions on women and your manhood. On the other hand, catcalling and other forms of harrassment make women fear for their lives. There's a difference. A man's ego doesn't take priority over a woman's life.
I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. Statements like those don't hurt me. But a generalization is a generalization and in the context of this discussion a generalization is lazy at best and insulting at worst.

What if I said ...

You might not understand why this is important because all women are emotional. Don't get offended because it's just a generalization. Also it it does bother it probably just hurt your ego so you may need to rethink your opinions on men and your womanhood.

It doesn't make sense when I say it and it doesn't make sense when you say it.

Old October 30th, 2014, 10:54 AM   #145
M42
Wrench wench

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

If you don't see the difference between "men can't fully understand catcalling" and "women can't drive", your reasoning faculties are fundamentally broken.

For a man, there will never be an analogous experience that includes the myriad societal complexities that result in a singular experience untranslatable from a disadvantaged gender to an advantaged one =/= women can't drive because they're women, women get emotional because they're women, etc

Old October 30th, 2014, 11:02 AM   #146
Panda
not an actual panda

So as a man I can't understand being marginalized or have strangers make me feel uncomfortable or make rude an inappropriate comments to me? I can't feel threatened and harassed on the street?

What if I am asian?
What if I am black in a upper middle class neighborhood and I get strange stares or people following me?
What if I'm gay?
What if I'm a hasidic or a quaker?

I wasn't aware woman were the only peoples in the world to experience harassment, prejudice, disenfranchisement, and discrimination. I further wasn't aware that not being aware that women were the only people that bear this cross makes my reasoning faculties fundamentally broken.

Old October 30th, 2014, 11:07 AM   #147
M42
Wrench wench

Certainly not, but currently the conversation is about catcalling women, and getting irritated because I didn't include the word "many" in the statement "catcalling is one of those things men will never get their heads around" is akin to complaining about a paper cut when the person next to you has a spiral fracture.

And yet again, the conversation has successfully been derailed from the crap women have to deal with daily throughout their lives, to placating like two dudes who took issue with one unintended generalization on a goddamn motorbike forum.

Old October 30th, 2014, 11:09 AM   #148
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
If you don't see the difference between "men can't fully understand catcalling" and "women can't drive", your reasoning faculties are fundamentally broken.

For a man, there will never be an analogous experience that includes the myriad societal complexities that result in a singular experience untranslatable from a disadvantaged gender to an advantaged one =/= women can't drive because they're women, women get emotional because they're women, etc

ever heard of racism before? it effects both genders.

making a blanket statement about an entire gender or group of people is prejudice. i don't care if you are a woman, you are from another country, of a race that is commonly a target of bigotry.

if you want to eliminate prejudice, it has to be on both sides. to try to imply that because you are a target of prejudice, you can by no means be prejudice... this is a dishonor to everyone who has fought against any form of prejudice.

recognizing your own shortcomings and prejudices is the first step to a better world. nobody is free from prejudice.

Old October 30th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #149
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
And yet again, the conversation has successfully been derailed from the crap women have to deal with daily throughout their lives, to placating like two dudes who took issue with one unintended generalization on a goddamn motorbike forum.
some people don't like prejudice regardless of where it comes from.

Old October 30th, 2014, 11:24 AM   #150
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
If hate to live in a place where sayin hey or waving is harrassment, I'd never get outa jail. That's probly why I live in the south, folks are nice and friendly usually. I hated PA, NJ, NY, an all then northern places I've been... Ash holes the lot

Old October 30th, 2014, 11:27 AM   #151
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
If hate to live in a place where sayin hey or waving is harrassment, I'd never get outa jail. That's probly why I live in the south, folks are nice and friendly usually. I hated PA, NJ, NY, an all then northern places I've been... Ash holes the lot
Y'all come back now!

Old October 30th, 2014, 11:33 AM   #152
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Y'all come back now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.0 KB, 0 views)

Old October 30th, 2014, 11:48 AM   #153
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/1...ushpmg00000046

Old October 30th, 2014, 12:15 PM   #154
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I'm a harasser and didn't even know it... Oh well hi anyhow

Old October 30th, 2014, 12:17 PM   #155
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
we're all harassers. even women. most people just don't realize it.

Old October 30th, 2014, 12:20 PM   #156
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:

Old October 30th, 2014, 12:40 PM   #157
M42
Wrench wench

I think we might be talking past each other, tbh. I don't mean to imply that prejudice is ok, nor that it's ok against everybody except women, yadda yadda. I take issue with the fact that you think saying "men can't understand what is a women-only experience" is prejudice. I mean... like I literally don't know what to make of that. Could also be that english isn't my first language, I dunno.

Old October 30th, 2014, 12:49 PM   #158
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

I love this thread! Prolly pretty accurate to the thread topic too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg study.women.jpg (28.3 KB, 2 views)

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old October 30th, 2014, 12:55 PM   #159
M42
Wrench wench

It's a thread about feminism, on the internet. It'll probably get to a million posts before the "count to a million" thread will, with a headstart.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 30th, 2014, 01:02 PM   #160
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Of course, there's not going to be something analogous between the two types of discrimination, and I think women definitely get the short end of the stick when it comes to sexism, I'm definitely harassed as a male. I'm a thin vegan bisexual dude who cares about animals and rides a 250 (a "girls' bike") who lives in a mostly conservative town. Nobody would bat an eye about any of those things about me if I were female. But since I'm a male, I should lift my truck, eat meat, only date women, go to the gym and get a 'busa because that's what it means to be a man, and these experiences are definitely not unique to me. You don't need to understand exactly what someone's going through to understand that it's bad and shouldn't happen to them.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote