ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old July 6th, 2014, 02:30 PM   #1
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

Name: matt

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninjette 250R

just put in a Bluetooth, a completed product review..

So I have been using headphones for years while I ride. And I got tired of having wires either flapping around or sticking to my skin when tucked in my shirt. So I decided to go a new route, wireless!

I decided to check ebay for a really REALLY affordable product. Most people will argue that spending a lot of money is the only way to get good quality well I'm not one of those people to spend $170+ by a long shot. I am a budget spender. So I opted to get a Chinese knock-off called the:

T-COM 02.
Screenshot_2014-07-02-17-32-41.jpg

Before I start, I an using a Bilt Fusion helmet.
Installing it was way basic, just remove your helmet pads, put the ear pads in, run the wires behind everything, mount the Bluetooth unit to the outside with the clip provided, insert helmet pads, viola! If you need more DIY, I can go into more detail, let me know.

20140706_164659.jpg
The unit all together.

1404680924122.jpg
Red circle is one of two ear pads, blue lines are the wires, and green circle is the mouthpiece.

So far (without riding) the unit is LOUD, so at highway speeds, it shouldn't be a problem. I've made several calls with it and the recipient heard me very clearly and I heard then clearly as well. The device seems sturdy and it is easy to use with gloves on. Not too bulky and not too small.

My next post will be about quality while I'm actually riding in town and at high speeds. So hopefully I can help any other riders as far as getting a Bluetooth unit for their helmet.

Last futzed with by melfice; July 8th, 2014 at 06:59 PM.
melfice is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.

Old July 7th, 2014, 07:37 AM   #2
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Does it support music (A2DP) or playback control (AVRCP)?
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 09:41 AM   #3
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Cool
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 10:00 AM   #4
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

It supports both A2DP as well as AVRCP. Controlling the music is done with the jog wheel of the unit by either flicking it forward it back and volume by holding the wheel in the back our forward position. Gps directions come in over the music or it pauses the music based on which app you are using.

Been busy with a new puppy so I haven't ridden in a few days but today after work I will take a ride and post info about sound quality while moving with the unit as well as how sturdy and durable it is.

Also, The posting on eBay says it is waterproof, but I'm not going to chance it in a downpour, I'll just test it's water resistance in a light rain. I'm not one to break a new item just because it tells me too.

More info to follow!

Old July 7th, 2014, 10:50 AM   #5
iamjacob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jacob

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R SE

Definitely awaiting your review.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a Sena SMH5 but I have no use for the intercom feature as I don't ever carry a passenger or have any friends that I ride with.

$40 is a much easier pill to swallow to be able to hear the GPS on the occasion that it gets used or listen to the occasional tunes.
iamjacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #6
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

Ok! So went for a ride and I can say that this is a pretty good item.

Music is perfectly clear to hear my only complaint is the amount of bass the headset produces, I'm coming from OEM Samsung headphones that came with my phone and the bass was great with those. I'd give music quality a 7/10.

Phone calls are clear while riding within town, the recipient could hear me fine other than the sound of the bike/wind. The boom for the mic is at a set length so I have it about an inch from the chin of my helmet and it stays in place so some amount of noise is expected. They said it wasn't too bad. At highway speeds it's pretty equal except just a bit more wind noise, which is typical when going faster. I give phone calls a 6/10.

I keep my volume at a medium so I can hear traffic as well as my music/calls, and I have a two brothers can installed. So if using a stock muffler or an upgraded one I know that sound quality will be perfect.

Overall I give the T-COM 02 a 6.5/10.
Pros= great volume, comfortable and almost not there, quality is great for slow and fast speeds, price is fantastic!
Cons= boom mic should be about 1/4" shorter to help reduce environmental and engine noise, could have better bass.

Last futzed with by melfice; July 8th, 2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: more use and findings
melfice is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:08 PM   #7
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

So today was a windy day 15-20mph and a temp of 93 degrees. I decided to go for a ride. My findings stayed very similar to yesterday except for one thing! I didn't think to account for a really windy ride like mine today; therefore I dropped it's score one point. This based upon the extreme wind that was rushing at me in all directions drowned out the sound of my GPS directions while driving 70mph. I could barely hear the pretty lady's voice telling me to "turn left at airport rd" I heard just enough make out the word "left".

Either way I'm still satisfied that I spent only 1/4 the cost of a name brand unit that does the same thing mine does.

Old July 8th, 2014, 07:49 PM   #8
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
So I'm assuming it won't work with earplugs in?
cadd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 09:04 PM   #9
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Interested in this...

I one day want to do some motovlogs for fun and I was curious if this would make a suitable mic?

Old July 9th, 2014, 01:58 AM   #10
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

I don't have a set of ear plugs, but I'm pretty sure that the unit will still be audible. On a regular day I heard it perfect, as long as the wind doesn't kick up too much like I stated on my last post ear plugs should not be a problem.

Old April 21st, 2015, 10:35 PM   #11
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Any update of the unit? It has been a good 10 months since you've had it. Still functioning properly?

Old April 22nd, 2015, 04:32 AM   #12
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I always ride with plugs. The SQ went up on my sena with plugs. I'm sure yours will too.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:17 AM   #13
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Since the OP isn't around, I guess I can take the chance and order the same unit he has.

Old April 23rd, 2015, 02:11 PM   #14
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

@melfice

Old April 23rd, 2015, 03:50 PM   #15
melfice
yes, I'm famous.

Sorry sorry. Forgot my password and all that jazz.

The unit worked fine for me. The only problem I eventually encountered is changing the song vs. Adjusting the volume. Sometimes when I wanted to lower or raise the volume the sing would change instead. It's sensitive in that area. Other than that, if your helmet is pretty good with keeping out wind noise, your golden.
I tried two helmets, one was bad at keeping wind noise down the other was amazing. That's what I get for buying bargain brand helmets haha.

Old April 23rd, 2015, 06:41 PM   #16
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Perfect for my needs! I won't be listening to music. It's only a safety backup device for me if I have to make a call. Thanks for the update!

Old April 23rd, 2015, 11:21 PM   #17
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

Name: Butch

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Thumbs up

I have this same device, and I absolutely LOVE it.. I love it so much that I bought a second unit for my spare helmet, and have ordered a couple for local friends that ride.. Overall best bang for the buck that I've found..

Sure, you could drop a couple hundred on a SENA or other big name, but will the improvement (if any) in quality really equate to the extra money spent?? I personally doubt it..

The biggest plus for me with the T-COM02 is the fact that I don't have to permanently mount anything to my helmet.. So, when I decide to get back on 4 wheels and do some racing, the mounting bracket is quickly and easily removed..
FBR_BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2015, 03:53 AM   #18
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
No intercom function between the units (via bluetooth), correct? Only phone calls? Not that I need that function....just curious.

How long have you been using your unit? I just ordered one. I figure if it's a POS, I'm only out $40 bux.

Old April 24th, 2015, 05:46 AM   #19
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

No intercom between units.. It would be nice to have, but definitely not a necessity..

I bought my first one back in January, I believe, and have been using it since.. I installed a USB charger on my 250R, along with a RAM Mount to hold my iPhone6 Plus.. With all of that, I never have to worry about my phone going dead on me, I can see who is calling, I can have GPS readily available with visual and audible turn-by-turn directions, music, etc..

As I said, I love it.. For the price, it can't be beaten.. It may take you a few tries to get the headphones positioned correctly in your helmet.. My Shoei was a bit of a pain to get them sorted into, but that's because the Shoei fits very snugly and doesn't have a lot of open space, even in the ear cavities.. The other set that I have installed on my Scorpion EXO-1100 was a breeze to position..

When installing the ear pieces, test fit them a couple times first.. If you think you've found the right spot, tweak your helmet a bit side to side just to make sure you're not going to have any issues with them ear pieces pushing against your ears too hard..

Old April 24th, 2015, 05:34 PM   #20
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBR_BDavis View Post
Sure, you could drop a couple hundred on a SENA or other big name, but will the improvement (if any) in quality really equate to the extra money spent?? I personally doubt it..

Yep,the money was well worth it! And I'm buying another for my son. The reason I bought an intercom was exactly that, bike to bike coms. The music and Bluetooth was just a bonus!

There is something to be said about an inexpensive product that works, but when it doesn't do the same thing, you really can't compare to the expensive product.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2015, 09:06 PM   #21
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
I just ordered mine. The non intercom version. I do see that they do sell them in pairs that have the intercom function. But it's a different model than the one I purchased. Here was the intercom version that I was looking at. They come in a pair of two. I would absolutely get these if I had the need for the intercom function.

Old April 25th, 2015, 02:33 AM   #22
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

I had no need for an intercom, and considered it a feature that wouldn't make or break the deal.. It really depends on what you're looking for feature-wise..

Old April 25th, 2015, 07:56 AM   #23
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
For gps, are you using Google maps? If so, do you set the destination before you start riding? Or can you change the destination on the fly with voice command without using the phone?

Old April 27th, 2015, 08:43 PM   #24
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

The T-COM02 doesn't offer voice control.. I typically use the iPhone maps and set it before I head out.. Keep things simple..

The biggest thing with ANY bluetooth headset is your helmet.. If it's noisy to begin with, you're going to have problems no matter what system you buy..