ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Pictures

Old June 15th, 2014, 10:02 AM   #1
Meintool
ninjette.org member

Name: Dick Mcgreggor

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

My fathers day present to myself for being a good daddy!!

2009 EX250J9

$2,100
Meintool is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old June 15th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #2
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Congrats on the new bike! Happy Fathers Day! And welcome to the forum.

And take the MSF course and ride safely.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2014, 10:14 AM   #3
Meintool
ninjette.org member

Thank you, thank you, thank you

and yes absolutely. my class is scheduled for the weekend of august 8th. i will now be taking the class WITH {[{{[[MY}]}]}} ninja 250!!!!

Old June 15th, 2014, 10:34 AM   #4
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

Congrats and welcome!! That is indeed a great gift to give yourself!

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #5
Singh2jz
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

That's an awesome pick up dude! That blue is really nice.

Old June 15th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2014, 11:02 AM   #7
Meintool
ninjette.org member

thanks guys, i love the bike almost more than my baby momma haha just kidding. at least the bike wont nag at me !!!

Old June 15th, 2014, 11:28 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Looks like someone needs to update their profile.

Old June 15th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #9
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
You may want to take the course using their bike...

you'll get to use a different machine, and if you drop it, it won't be your 250

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 15th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

^^^ Yes... do use their bike during the msf. It's what they are there for. An added bonus is, you get to ride a different kinda bike. You never know what you like until you give it a try.

Old June 15th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #11
Meintool
ninjette.org member

OK, ok you guys convinced me to take the MSF using there bike, I will do that because yea i'd rather try one of the honda rebels and not drop my bike lol!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions everyone! i feel so welcomed

Old June 15th, 2014, 07:14 PM   #12
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meintool View Post
OK, ok you guys convinced me to take the MSF using there bike, I will do that because yea i'd rather try one of the honda rebels and not drop my bike lol!

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions everyone! i feel so welcomed
That's why we're here!

It may also be a gz250 or tu250. Take the tu if they have it or the rebel of its fuel injected.

Old June 15th, 2014, 08:41 PM   #13
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Welcome an happy father day
JohnnyBravo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2014, 10:26 PM   #14
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

Nice! That's the color I originally wanted to get.
And only 819 miles on it, that's awesome.
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2014, 11:29 PM   #15
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

What a deal on the 250.
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #16
Meintool
ninjette.org member

you guys really think it was a good deal? i think it was considering i was looking for weeks, and found LOTS of older body style 250's going for 2000-3000. and i could find NO 2008+ ninja 250's for anything under 3 grand. i was prepared to pay upwards of 3500 bucks for the right bike. then i found this one posted a while ago. i figured it was well gone but i emailed anyway. and the lady said sorry someones coming monday to buy it. i said i'll come sunday!!! lol

i feel like i got a good deal, as long as they didnt rev the piss out of it considering its not broken in yet...

the owners manual says 1,000 miles for breakin period and to not surpass 6,000rpms... that seems like it will be a pain in the ass for my first 200 miles lol

what kind of problems could i expect to see if the bike wasnt properly broken in? bad piston rings? burnt valves? please elaborate.

and my god... the gear selection.. i've been shopping for HOURS! and i have not purchased 1 thing...

Old June 16th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Remember: asking price is not the "going" price. The MSRP of those older models was $3,000 in 2007 (last year they were sold). $2,100 isn't bad for an average 2009 in most markets (MSRP jumped from $3,500 in 2008 to $4,000 that year) but it is excellent for one with such low mileage.

Above all, welcome, and enjoy!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2014, 05:42 AM   #18
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
you guys really think it was a good deal?

i feel like i got a good deal, as long as they didnt rev the piss out of it considering its not broken in yet...

what kind of problems could i expect to see if the bike wasnt properly broken in? bad piston rings? burnt valves? please elaborate.

and my god... the gear selection.. i've been shopping for HOURS! and i have not purchased 1 thing...
Low mileage, somewhat low price, good deal if bike is in excellent condition.

Not really sure about problems as a result of the breaking-in. Keep in mind there are different methods. There is a method where you ride the crap out of the bike. I personally compromised for my dirt bike. Hopefully he changed the oil per manual instructions (and not right before you bought it).

Make sure the gear fits!!!

Old June 16th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #19
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:

the owners manual says 1,000 miles for breakin period and to not surpass 6,000rpms... that seems like it will be a pain in the ass for my first 200 miles lol

Break-in is done pretty quickly, and according to a pro race engine builder I know, isn't like it was in the old days. Tolerances and materials are better, and an extended break-in isn't required.

Revs don't really help break-in, cylinder pressure and repeated cycling does it. I would load the engine a fair amount, pulling it hard, but not revving too much.

I would change the oil and filter now, and run a conventional cycle-specific or diesel oil up to 1000 mi. After that, I personally would run synthetic, but it's not critical. Good, fresh, conventional oil will go a long way in protecting a water cooled engine. The main advantages for synthetics come at temperature extremes, and it has advantages for long term storage.

If it were mine, I'd probably use Rotella T 15W-40 for now (warm temps only), then either T6 or a cycle-specific 10W-40 like Mobil1 4T or Castrol 4T.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2014, 11:25 PM   #20
Meintool
ninjette.org member

Update!

registered, inspected, idle adjusted, chain tightened, oil changed(by local Kawasaki dealer) the bike is awesome and extremely fun to ride. I cant believe how easy it was to get used to riding a bike. I honestly can say I feel like I should have been riding a bike all my life. I don't know what the hell was stopping me.

the bike now has 977 miles and I have taken it on the highway only once so far and it actually felt great. feeling how quick this 250 is, it feels much quicker than my turbo saab and I haven't even had the revs passed 10k is this all in my head?? it feels faster than my previous m3 as well.. if that's a fact. I would be very scared out of my undies to ride a 600.

I picked up some pretty nice gear recently I bought an HJC is-17 helmet some speed and strength leather gloves and a really nice leather Yamaha jacket. I also bought ce approved plate armored jacket that I can wear under the leather jacket.

I waxed it and apparently forgot to take pictures. I think i'm going to hold off on replacing the damaged fairings for now cause yea ill probably lay it down at some point. I sure hope not but we'll see..

A couple pet peeves about the bike that can obviously be remedied.

A. the biggest problem is the quiet exhaust.. I have had a couple of close calls from other drivers not seeing me. one of them I had to kick the car to prevent being hit. this naturally pissed me off and induced instant road rage . luckily no one was injured. This would have been prevented by having a MUCH louder exhaust I will be buying the Danmoto carbon GP I think what are your thoughts?

B. the seat.. for some reason. maybe cause i'm not used to it yet I am quite the newb. my ass cheeks start getting real sore after about 50 miles. I need a seat pad or a nice replacement seat.

No other complaints so far I'm gonna buy touch up paint and try to blend the scratches in for now. ill get some pics

Btw how often should I lubricate the chain? I had the dealer do it and it's really dirty and greasy what's the best way to clean the chain, swingarm, shock area? the rear wheel was covered in what seemed like old hardened chain grease which took a **** load of elbow grease to get off. what's this all about?

Old June 20th, 2014, 06:39 AM   #21
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
A. the biggest problem is the quiet exhaust.. I have had a couple of close calls from other drivers not seeing me. one of them I had to kick the car to prevent being hit. this naturally pissed me off and induced instant road rage . luckily no one was injured. This would have been prevented by having a MUCH louder exhaust I will be buying the Danmoto carbon GP I think what are your thoughts?
Don't look for a loud exhaust to prevent that. Always assume you are never seen, and don't put yourself in a situation where you are close enough to an offending vehicle to be able to kick it. Recognize a bad situation developing before it gets to that point.

As far as kicking a car goes - that can get you killed. You have no idea who you are dealing with or to what extent they will go to "get even" with you. No matter how ticked I am, I'll never flip-off or smash a car. I've been riding on the street for over 35 years so far, and still need to work hard every time out to make sure I stay out of trouble.

You will lose an altercation with a car (intentional or not) - every time.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 6th, 2014, 06:05 PM   #22
Meintool
ninjette.org member

just a little update

bought the bike with 800 or so miles it now has 1,700 miles i absolutely love it..and i now hate driving cars they feel unbelievably slow, sluggish and claustrophobic. I have a 4 year old though and about 3 months of snow so i guess i need to drive the car ugh... i'm also pretty annoyed that i can't ride at night with my permit, august 8th is too long to wait for the MSF!!

Well i ordered new plastics for the bike and installed a dan moto carbon GP which is extremely loud but i think it sounds great and its not as loud as some of the harleys around here. i do think i need to start wearing ear plugs though

couple of things i don't like about the bike that have really been bothering me

THe seat sucks horribly. after about an hour of riding(i rode all day today) my ass is completely numb, i could barely walk once i got off the bike this evening. i must get a seat pad or a new seat cause this stock seat thing sucks the big one..

and my biggest problem with the bike so far. is shifting from 1st to 2nd. it pops into neutral when i get on it hard and end up red lining it with no load.. it does not do this when i am riding/shifting soft/slow it only seems to do it when i am romping on it. and it starting to do this more often.. is my clutch messed up? did i screw up my break in period? is this normal? or is this a common issue?

anyways. yea!!

Oh and btw.. I entered into a raffle at my local kawasaki dealership... they are only selling 500 tickets. i purchased 5 tickets at $20 a ticket.. the drawing is september7th 1 day before my birthday...

and its for a 2014 ninja 300 with zero miles... that would make my year!!!

Old July 6th, 2014, 06:12 PM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Adjust your shift lever so it feels equally solid to pop it up into a higher gear or down into a lower gear. If it's popping out of second, either the shift lever needs to be adjusted or you need to be firmer with your shifts.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 04:56 PM   #24
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
if you win that bike you will be the most hated member on here