ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old June 25th, 2013, 09:30 PM   #1
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

I got charged with reckless driving

So I was driving down the interstate keeping up with traffic not being a rabbit or any think I notice a cop flying up on me so I start to move right well he pulls me over and tells me I was doing 90 in a 65. He hits me with the reckless driving ticket and tells me I am lucky he is not towing the car. Now he did not give me a speeding ticket and when I told him I want to see the radar he told me he was not able to show me it. what are the odds of them dropping it at the first court date? Do you even think its worth getting a lawyer yet?

Old June 25th, 2013, 10:39 PM   #2
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Name: Darryl

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Wreckless driving ticket is a ticket, just a lot bigger than a normal one.. In some places its a misdemeanor and can be a felony depending on the speed, and can carry penalties similar to a dui... Lawyer up!
dwright0723 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 25th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #3
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwright0723 View Post
Wreckless driving ticket is a ticket, just a lot bigger than a normal one.. In some places its a misdemeanor and can be a felony depending on the speed, and can carry penalties similar to a dui... Lawyer up!
its listed as a misdemeanor 2

Old June 26th, 2013, 02:42 AM   #4
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Link to original page on YouTube.

Trying to catch the train?

Link to original page on YouTube.

[Chorus]
I get it in til the sun rise
doin 90 in a 65
windows rolled down screamin out
ay ay I'm I'm so paid
number 1 hustler gettin' money
why you wanna count my money
I'm a hustler don't need nann one of y'all see
I'm so paid

jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 04:09 AM   #5
JonR
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
So I was driving down the interstate keeping up with traffic not being a rabbit or any think I notice a cop flying up on me so I start to move right well he pulls me over and tells me I was doing 90 in a 65. He hits me with the reckless driving ticket and tells me I am lucky he is not towing the car. Now he did not give me a speeding ticket and when I told him I want to see the radar he told me he was not able to show me it. what are the odds of them dropping it at the first court date? Do you even think its worth getting a lawyer yet?
I had some asshole highway trooper pull a similar thing with me. Tried to claim I was doing 86. I know he only pulled me over because I have out of state plates. As soon as he saw my in state driver's license he decided to "give me a break".

Just hire a traffic attorney to fight it for you.
JonR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #6
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Lawyer up if it's a misdemeanor.

And it will not get dropped at the first court appearance, you won't even get a chance to do anything other than say not guilty and get a second date.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 07:54 AM   #7
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

lawyer up

Old June 26th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #8
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Lawyer up my man. In general, no radar, no proof, no ticket/fine/points bla bla bla Even if they have radar, when was it last calibrated? And sometimes the cop doesn't even show for the court date and poof, it all goes away.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #9
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Lawyer up my man. In general, no radar, no proof, no ticket/fine/points bla bla bla Even if they have radar, when was it last calibrated? And sometimes the cop doesn't even show for the court date and poof, it all goes away.
Word.

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:40 AM   #10
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Yeah, all of mine have been dropped for improper equipment, what ever that is One of them was a 90 in a 55 ( I was on my way to a race track. Imagine that ) . Didn't say anything about wreckless driving though, but it wasn't payable. I was supposed to go to court for it. Each of them have cost me around $400 to a lawyer though

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:07 PM   #11
fishdip

Quote:
Yeah, all of mine have been dropped for improper equipment, what ever that is One of them was a 90 in a 55 ( I was on my way to a race track. Imagine that ) . Didn't say anything about wreckless driving though, but it wasn't payable. I was supposed to go to court for it. Each of them have cost me around $400 to a lawyer though
$400.00 is better then having a criminal record.

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #12
dwright0723
ninjette.org member

Quote:
$400.00 is better then having a criminal record.
Which is exactly why I went with that option . Better than having insurance to up too! After that 90mph one, I invested in a high dollar radar detectors. It's been saving my ass since!

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:19 PM   #13
fishdip

Quote:
Which is exactly why I went with that option . Better than having insurance to up too! After that 90mph one, I invested in a high dollar radar detectors. It's been saving my ass since!
What gets me out of all the stupid crazy crap I have done on the road I was just driving along with the rest of traffic heck I noticed the cop flying up from far away and had started to move over all the way right to let him pass he had not even turn on his lights yet.

Old June 27th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #14
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Quote:
I try to drive in a WRECKLESS manner all the time. I haven't had a WRECK in years! Sri, couldn't resist!! snicker.

Old June 27th, 2013, 02:33 PM   #15
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Quote:
I've beaten a ticket in traffic court without a lawyer. I just kept calling to reschedule last minute the day before each scheduled date and the guy never showed up.

Old July 10th, 2013, 07:34 AM   #16
oblivion007
"scandal!"

Name: Adan

Motorcycle(s): 2011 250R(Crashed 2/26/2014), 09 ER6n

Huh... when I lawyer up it costs me $25 or $50 depending on the ticket. Local po-po are $25, sheriffs are $50 and warrants for driving violations are $50 too. I haven't had to go to court at all.

My buddy calls em ticket chasers.
oblivion007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 01:15 PM   #17
corralhollowkid
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 07' Ninja 250r

As an ex cop I say "FIGHT IT TILL THE VERY END"

do not give up your rights and make sure u know all the laws and rules that apply before you go to court.

Cops are mostly just a little asshole, fueled by self centeredness. Mostly

Everyone should ride with a helmet/collision cam at all times. This is why
corralhollowkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 10th, 2013, 11:01 PM   #18
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

Doesn't reckless driving require 3 separate safety violations? Or something like that?

Going 90 is going 90. Unless you changed lanes without indicators or did other stupid ****.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 11th, 2013, 04:57 AM   #19
ChaoSS
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2012 red 250 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daks View Post
Doesn't reckless driving require 3 separate safety violations? Or something like that?
No.
ChaoSS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 19th, 2013, 05:36 PM   #20
Sebastian f7
ninjette.org member

Name: Sebastian

Motorcycle(s): fz1 fz8 ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daks View Post

Going 90 is going 90. Unless you changed lanes without indicators or did other stupid ****.
No just being reckless... or being really pissed someone rear ended your 07 in March of 08 and cussing them out. Which turns into road rage and reckless driving...
Sebastian f7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 21st, 2013, 03:37 PM   #21
Mr.E
That rider dude.

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2011 White Ninja 250 SE.

In reference to asking him to show you the radar, unless it's changed since I've taken my classes, they cant. It resets every time. Reason being is if they clock someone at 100 mph and forget to reset it, what's to stop them from saying you were doing 100 too when you were only doing 60? I know it's still he said she said when they have to proof, but I'd rather that then being miscalculated at 100 for a cop forgetting to reset the mph and him having "hard" evidence.
Mods: flushmount Led front binkers, diode mod, pazzo levers, clear tank pad, racing replica grips, bike monkeys integrated tal light, zx-2r vinyls, rearsets, red bar ends, and more red accented stuff.
Mr.E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2013, 12:12 PM   #22
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.E View Post
In reference to asking him to show you the radar, unless it's changed since I've taken my classes, they cant. It resets every time. Reason being is if they clock someone at 100 mph and forget to reset it, what's to stop them from saying you were doing 100 too when you were only doing 60? I know it's still he said she said when they have to proof, but I'd rather that then being miscalculated at 100 for a cop forgetting to reset the mph and him having "hard" evidence.
not true at all, they always show me the read out on the lidar gun.

the wreckless driving ticket has to state a reason behind it, if the officer observed you being wreckless, he must describe the wreckless act. if the wreckless act was speeding, the officer needs a valid measurement. pace, or instrumented. you said he didn't have any instrumented measurement which means it was a pace which can be estimated. usually estimated paces dont hold up in court. set a court date, don't get a speedy trial, request all the information including dash cam from the officer. maybe consider trial by declaration. get a lawyer if you dont know what you are doing

Old August 9th, 2013, 06:24 PM   #23
LiquidShell
ninjette.org member

Name: Shell

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300 -

Take it to court.

You don't need a lawyer for a traffic citation. They're over rated. If he wrote you for speeding, or another moving violation then he could write you for the reckless. It's not a stand alone charge. Go to court and plead not guilty or No Lo (if it's allowed in your state). The officer has to be able to note the action that caused you to be reckless.

Old August 10th, 2013, 03:03 PM   #24
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): CB500F

There's an old, mostly true saying that "a person who decides to represent himself in court has a fool for a client". Get a lawyer, and say nothing without his presence and advice.

I sat down with a sheet of paper many years ago and calculated the cost of a speeding ticket in VA if you just went to the courthouse and paid it off. Considering the fine, court costs, increase in insurance premiums for 40 months, traffic school to wipe out the points, etc., etc. I found it was much cheaper to hire even a fairly expensive lawyer - by about half or more. Yes, the system's rigged, but you can still make the most of a bad situation.
Thorgrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 10th, 2013, 06:48 PM   #25
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Speaking of a system that's stacked against you.....

Here in South Carolina, if an agency writes a ticket with points, they must split the revenue with the state 50-50. So almost every municipality has created a violation called "careless operation" which has.... no points. The fine for speeding in Turbeville SC is like $430 with no points. If you go to court and ask for a jury trial, the officer will kindly tack on an additional charge of the speeding ticket he didn't write you the day you got pulled over. By law a cop has 6 months to charge you with anything he's seen you do). When you do go to jury trial, you have your 10-20mph speeding ticket AND the careless operation.

What really urks me about this system is that the points system is designed to get dangerous drivers off the road so the rest of us are safer.... but this system lets you keep driving as long as you can afford to pay the tickets and the state never knows to attach points to your license and your insurance never goes up.

If you are feeling frisky, look up http://www.speedtrap.org/city/10570/Turbeville

Old August 10th, 2013, 07:26 PM   #26
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ai4px View Post
Speaking of a system that's stacked against you.....

Here in South Carolina, if an agency writes a ticket with points, they must split the revenue with the state 50-50. So almost every municipality has created a violation called "careless operation" which has.... no points. The fine for speeding in Turbeville SC is like $430 with no points. If you go to court and ask for a jury trial, the officer will kindly tack on an additional charge of the speeding ticket he didn't write you the day you got pulled over. By law a cop has 6 months to charge you with anything he's seen you do). When you do go to jury trial, you have your 10-20mph speeding ticket AND the careless operation.

What really urks me about this system is that the points system is designed to get dangerous drivers off the road so the rest of us are safer.... but this system lets you keep driving as long as you can afford to pay the tickets and the state never knows to attach points to your license and your insurance never goes up.

If you are feeling frisky, look up http://www.speedtrap.org/city/10570/Turbeville
This is crazy. A little update I went to the first court date and got a date set to meet with the DA get this they want to take 8 points off WTF. depending on what they have to say will decide on a trial or not.

Old August 11th, 2013, 07:29 AM   #27
LiquidShell
ninjette.org member

Quote:
This is crazy. A little update I went to the first court date and got a date set to meet with the DA get this they want to take 8 points off WTF. depending on what they have to say will decide on a trial or not.
You normally are asked to enter a plea your first appearance which will determine how the court will proceed. What happened in your case, why did you get another date with the DA--did you ask for a jury trial?

Old August 11th, 2013, 08:39 AM   #28
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidShell View Post
You normally are asked to enter a plea your first appearance which will determine how the court will proceed. What happened in your case, why did you get another date with the DA--did you ask for a jury trial?
its how this court process traffic tickets. Every one who shows up they enter a plea of not guilty automatically and sets a date for you to meet with the DA if you don't like what they say then a new date is set for the trial.

Old August 11th, 2013, 08:47 AM   #29
LiquidShell
ninjette.org member

I hope you get out of this without a big fine or points of your license. Two or more dates to appear in court is a waste of time...