ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old August 28th, 2014, 06:04 PM   #1
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

naked Ninja 250 build

Streetfighter, Bobber, cafe racer, rat bike. I'm not sure what to call but naked seems to be the catchall word.

I had a ninja 250 parts bike and decided to put it back together and get it running with my newly rebuilt 265cc motor. I have not gotten the ball rolling yet on obtaining the title to the frame yet. I did get a fax number to the HSBC bank which was the lien holder at the time the bike was purchased. It's going to be a PITA but hopefully it irons out and I get myself a nice clean and clear title. If not, it's the bonded route or I find myself another frame and title.

I picked up a 92 ZX7 gauge cluster and found out that one of the plugs works on the 250. I just need to repin the plug and add another pin and wire to get everything working. There's still another plug that I'll have to rewire. I need to see if I have an old manual around to find the wiring diagrams. I wonder if it's the same as the old ZZRs. Right now the issue with mounting the gauge cluster is that the 250 speedometer is short--at least 10+ inches of what I need to get it mounted where I want it to. The stock speedometer cable is roughly 29-30" from mounting to mounting end. Currently researching what cables are longer in about a 40+ inch range.

Waiting for my China headlight bracket and my EMGO 7'' Round headlight to come in so I can ride it around. I have some old LED turn signals I have laying around for the old ZZR. Right now I have a water bottle as my overflow. The gas tank was derusted and sealed with Red-Kote. The red color of the sealer is bleeding out into the fuel but from what I read, it's normal.

To Do list:
replace leaking radiator hose(s)
rig up a permanent coolant overflow bottle
reweld the bent frame where the right rearset mounts to (bolt holes stripped)
torque stem bearings
new ignition lock
new gas tank lock
rekey rear seat lock
radiator guard
this
that
more of this
more of that

Old August 28th, 2014, 11:35 PM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Looks cool so far, man. Keep us posted. I really like that overflow tank haha.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 29th, 2014, 01:32 AM   #3
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
that gauge cluster is ballin'

I'd add lowered bars to the "to do" list but that's just me and it's less comfortable if you do it

Old August 29th, 2014, 04:25 AM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
that gauge cluster is ballin'

I'd add lowered bars to the "to do" list but that's just me and it's less comfortable if you do it
I plan on keeping the stock bars for that reason. After having ridden my other 250 with clipons for so long, this switch was a night and day difference in comfort. Easier to attempt to do highchairs as-is right now lol.

Old August 29th, 2014, 02:49 PM   #5
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Pulled the top triple off to try and extract the bolts for the ignition lock. Ended up drilling it out and retapping. My cheap tap handle broke on me towards the end of tapping the last threads. The triple is also missing a bolt that clamps down one of the fork tops.

I also found out that I ordered the wrong LED bulbs for the gauge cluster. The older guages I have use a T7 wedge bulb and not the T10 wedges that I had ordered. The T7 LEDs are hard to find so I'm just going to stick with the regular bulbs. So if anyone wants some super blue 194/T10 wedge LED bulbs, I have 20 of them! LOL

The rubber bulb grommets have shrunken and some are chewed up. I'm not sure how I'm going to seal them to keep water out of the gauges yet.

Ordered some connectors from www.motorcycleterminal.com to do a clean plug and play setup with the gauges and turn signals. I was going to pick up a pinning tool from the autoparts but used flat screwdriver from an eyeglass repair kit to remove the pins from the connectors.

Headlight should be coming in today and headlight bracket in a week or two from China.

Old August 29th, 2014, 08:33 PM   #6
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Woohoo! Gauges work! Thermostat needs to be swapped out though. The stock 250 thermostat cost $94 and the zx7 one costs $45. REDICULOUS! Going used. I opted with the older guage because each gauge were individual units whereas later models were integrated into one unit and plasticy. I could reposition or remove what I want.

I also wondered if I could use the temp gauge to act as a fuel gauge by wiring it up to a switch. That would be interesting it was as easy as said.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:43 AM   #7
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Talking Another 250 streetfighter build

Figured I shared some pictures of mine. @Proteus gave me some inspiration to clean up the dust and pollen off the bike. I was going to set up this bike as a stunt and track bike but need the funds more so it has been put up for sale. I'll continue to tinker with it until it sells. Ebay and Search Tempest are my best friends for finding good deals.

I had bought this as a spare parts bike just in case I wrecked my other 250 from learning to stunt, track, and daily hazards and started accumulating extra parts which I ended piecing together to make a running bike. After putting the bike together, I sought to recover the title. The bike was sold to me without a title and bill of sale. I totally forgot about the bill of sale when I had bought it so went through the laborous task of tracking down the title holder only to find out that it still had a lien from HSBC bank. I'll have to call the DMV office and do some more paperwork to find the last owner if it will significant boost selling price.

I have some 2009 GSXR 600 forks I would love to put on but do not have the top triple, clipons, and front wheel and rotor. I have considered making a top triple to accomodate dirt bike bars and re-use the ignition lock but alas, I have no time nor the funds like most. The stock suspension is so nice putting around town. Caddy ride! I may swap in a rear gsxr shock since I have been meaning to replacing the shock linkage bolt with the correct one (currently using a dogbone bolt).

Ignition lock was replaced and the gas tank de-rusted by way of vinegar and electrolysis. Gas tank was then sealed with Red-Kote. According to the can, it said Red-Kote was resistant to today's blended gasoline with ethanol. Gas lock was repaired to be usable but the rear pillion seat lock could not be used so I by-passed it.

ZX-7r gauges were rewired using OEM connectors for a clean plug and play fitment. Swapped out the dummy temp sensor with the ZX-7R temp probe for a fully functional temperature gauge. Although I have not looked into why when I start up the bike the temp gauge goes all the way to hot and then drops back down to cold. The cluster is held up by two tabs secured under handle bar mounts. Ghetto, but its works. I plan on reusing the Chinese headlight fork bracket to secure it cleaner.

The 265cc motor I built is in this bike so I set the price higher but said I'd swap out the motor for a cheaper selling price. It still has the stock airbox and filter in it just with the snorkel removed. I shimmed the carb needles and rejetted. Bike stutters at first when I crack the throttle from idle so I need to get it addressed.

The right rearset frame mount was damaged from the previous owner in an accident of some sort so the top bolt was stripped. There's only a few threads still good but the bolt backs out from vibrations. The left handlebar controls is missing the back half to housing so I Just ziptied the front half to the bar and left the choke cable hanging around next to it.

Standard Mini H1 projector inside a cheap Chinese 7" round headlight. DO NO BUY THESE CHEAP BALLASTS! (I'll post a picture eventually). They do not put out enough juice to light up the HID bulbs which produce significantly less lumens to light the road. I made some custom brackets for the headlight since my Chinese brackets were to short to accommodate the HID retrofit. I bought the wrong turn signal connectors from CycleTerminal.com but managed to make them work.

Picked up the stock 300 exhaust system from a local racer and originally planned on rerouting the exhaust to work on the 250 engine. The stock 300 exhaust piping will mount up on the 250 but the route was designed to wrap around the 300's lower crank housing which puts it in the way of the oil filter and drain bolt access area. Seeing as I don't intend to keep the bike, I just kept the piping as-is and cut the rear pipe baffle in the exhaust can to make it more free-er flowing and opened up the exhaust exit. I think the exhaust sounds pretty good and doesn't not sound obnoxious or raspy.

Enjoy:

Street legal but not street legal!

Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:43 AM   #8
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 2nd, 2015, 08:53 AM   #9
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
yo dawg is that a 600?

Old April 2nd, 2015, 09:39 AM   #10
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

You know the zip tie mod was just supposed to be for the throttle right?
Get a mountain dew bottle instead of that cheap water bottle.
Cant wait to see the final product.

Old April 2nd, 2015, 09:44 AM   #11
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

Looks great! Definitely a lot more work than my "what do I need to do get back on the street" build.

Check out my music at http://www.proteusmusic.com
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 2nd, 2015, 09:47 AM   #12
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
nah nah you gotta use that "NOS energy drink" bottle so you can tell p eople you got a can of nos on it

Old April 2nd, 2015, 09:50 AM   #13
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

I think @MrAtom had a pic of his nos and sound system setup.

Check out my music at http://www.proteusmusic.com
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2015, 11:22 AM   #14
astricklin
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

Any Updates? Did you find a solution for the coolant overflow? I am starting to think of going nude and looking for ideas and solutions to issues.

Old April 9th, 2015, 03:18 PM   #15
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Wholly crap. Forgot I even made a thread. I actually made another thread and forgot this one. I am still using the water battle as a coolant overflow. I see how full it is and the green just looks good. Lol
@Alex can you merge my other thread with this one? Lol

Old April 9th, 2015, 03:29 PM   #16
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

What other thread? Can you link it here?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 9th, 2015, 03:47 PM   #17
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

@Alex

Here: https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223046

Thanks boss man

Old April 9th, 2015, 04:06 PM   #18
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #19
ThomasTrain001
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): None yet, uughh

Thats badass, Wait how'd you get that backend?
ThomasTrain001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2015, 08:58 PM   #20
ThomasTrain001
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Tommy

Motorcycle(s): None yet, uughh

oh wait I'm in the wrong thread lol thought this was pregens
ThomasTrain001 is offline   Reply With Quote