Old May 21st, 2013, 08:29 AM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Lane split and passing rant

Disclaimer: Many here will disagree with me. I don't care. This is how I view it and you're welcome to your own opinion.

On this morning's commute I was sitting in traffic and some guy on a ratty older bike wearing ratty gear zipped by me, lane splitting. Never saw him coming.

I won't do that. First of all it's illegal here. Second, IMHO it's dangerous for the following reasons:

1) In 49 states people are not used to it and freak out when a bike goes by them at their speed +20 or 30 mph IN THEIR LANE. Freaked out people do unpredictable things. Startling them like that might even cause road rage.

2) Because they're not used to it, they don't check as carefully as they should before changing lanes. Ever been surprised by a lane splitter? I have. I was this morning. What if I'd decided to change lanes at the exact wrong moment? Ever have someone suddenly pull out without signaling and cut you off? I have. They didn't see you... in your car. On a bike, in their blind spot, in an unexpected position on the road... well, you figure it out.

3) Any time you're traveling significantly faster than the flow of traffic, being in very close proximity to that traffic is very dangerous. On an interstate going 100 mph is not actually all that dangerous (don't do it... just an illustration) IF you've got a clear road. When there's heavy traffic going 70 mph all around you and you're slicing through it like a skier on a mogul trail, it's very, very stupid. Note that the important point is "significantly faster," not your actual speed. A bike passing within two feet of a stopped car at 30 mph is just as dangerous a situation as a 100 mph bike passing a 70 mph car.

Finally, it's just plain rude. I don't want some asshat on a Gixxer blowing by me in my lane, and I won't do it to anyone else.

Now, I WILL make passes on the bike that I won't in my car, but I will never cut someone off. On a bike you can zip into a tiny gap safely, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Illustration: You're stuck behind some moron in the fast lane going 0.01 mph faster than the car in the right lane, with clear road ahead. They slowly inch ahead... until eventually, FINALLY, a gap opens that you can through. You're still next to the car in the right lane but you can make it by if you dive into the gap, and you know that you can do so without any hazard whatsoever.

BAD IDEA and also rude. The driver is NOT expecting you to do it and it's also illegal (reckless driving).

The right way to do it IMHO is make sure you're clear of the car beside you and have a reasonable lead (a bike length is enough, a car length is better), signal AND head check AND give it a moment for your intentions to sink in to give that guy plenty of opportunity to see you. Then blast on by.

I do think it's fair to give the Italian salute to the idiot who was holding you up, however.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 08:33 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 08:37 AM   #3
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17

Very well said!
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 08:45 AM   #4
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

and I've seen cars pass people on gravel laden shoulders going over 70 mph.

asshats will be asshats, on a bike or in a car. no way around it. no need to get angry, just let them do their thing. you seem to be doing the right thing. I won't split either, the dangers are just too high for me.

We all break laws occasionally. Who is to say that breaking the speed limit is any better than lane splitting? or that speeding up for a yellow is any better than filtering at a stop light? It's all about perceived risk.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 08:52 AM   #5
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

Name: That's "Sir" to you!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-F16, Versys KLE650 CAF

UK

Lane splitting is legal here in the UK, and 99% of riders do it, although there are some that are happy to sit in the traffic. But, despite the fact that it's legal, it's still not safe. I've had lots of near misses from people that decided to switch lanes without checking their mirrors. For that reason, I (like the vast majority of riders) travel pretty slowly when lane splitting in heavy traffic.

One of my pet peeves is the guy (and it usually is a male) who spots the bike lane splitting in his mirror and actually moves over to BLOCK the lane and prevent the rider from coming through. I guess that he just feels that if he's stuck in traffic, everybody else should be too.
Kokosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 08:54 AM   #6
xaple
ninjette.org guru

Name: Daniel "God"

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

I would only lane split after it had been legal for a couple years. All your points are valid. I would begin filtering, going to the front of a red light, once a law had been passed making it legal just to get people used to motorcycles coming between them. I trust myself to be where I need to be on the road, I don't trust anyone one else. Ever.
xaple is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 09:04 AM   #7
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I admit to lane splitting in the city. If traffic is moving slowly or stopped I'll split - I also filter at red lights.

I tend to stay within 10mph of traffic so I'm not blasting by stopped or slow moving cars. Drivers in NYC tend to be aware of and make room for motorcycles lane splitting.

I've also lane split outside of NYC and I've had people get super pissed off at me for lane splitting or filtering.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 09:10 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Obligatory Californian chiming in. Lanesplitting can be done with degrees of safety/courtesy/asshattery just as motorcycle riding as a whole can be done with differing degrees of same. Here are some new guidelines that the CHP have recently published on lanesplitting in California. It's a good read:

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html

I've been fortunate enough to ride a motorcycle in quite a few different countries, and what's interesting (to me at least) is that everywhere I've been, has similar rules and norms around lanesplitting as here in California. It's the 49 other states that stand out as weird, from a big picture standpoint.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf lanesplitting_guidelines.pdf (102.8 KB, 46 views)

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 09:18 AM   #9
dave42
ninjette.org guru

Name: dave

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250, ZX6r, RSV4, Caponord Rally

I don't disagree with anything really in the OP; as a lane-splitter in a lane-splitting state I think blowing by somebody 20-30+ mph is not a good idea either. I think both Alex.S and I mentioned the last time we had one of these discussions that if you can't avoid something (be it scooting around left/right to avoid it or simply brake and come to a controlled stop) then you're splitting way too fast.
dave42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 09:33 AM   #10
Kokosun
Are you sure about that?

Name: That's "Sir" to you!

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-F16, Versys KLE650 CAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Obligatory Californian chiming in ...

http://www.chp.ca.gov/programs/lanesplitguide.html
Good, common-sense guide.
Kokosun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 09:45 AM   #11
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16

I thought it was a cool idea when I first saw it at bike week... Until the lane splitter got to a road rager in a cage that door checked him. Not my idea of a good ride at all

Old May 21st, 2013, 10:04 AM   #12
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave42 View Post
I don't disagree with anything really in the OP; as a lane-splitter in a lane-splitting state I think blowing by somebody 20-30+ mph is not a good idea either. I think both Alex.S and I mentioned the last time we had one of these discussions that if you can't avoid something (be it scooting around left/right to avoid it or simply brake and come to a controlled stop) then you're splitting way too fast.
This is a really good point that made me think about what I consider to be "lane splitting." To me, it's exactly what's cited here as "not a good idea..." riding at 20+ mph through a double line of parked cars. That's what I see around here.

I do filter at stop lights and will ask politely to move ahead at very low speed (walking pace) if it's a true parking lot out on the road. It's all about the courtesy.

One time I filtered at a stop light and the guy in the front of the line took exception to the fact that someone had the utter gall to try to get ahead of him. He tried to race me. Fortunately even the 250 has enough zip that it was no contest.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 10:19 AM   #13
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I wish it was legal in all states... but even if it was, there would still be asshats.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 10:35 AM   #14
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
..........Finally, it's just plain rude.............It's all about the courtesy............

On this morning's commute I was sitting in traffic and some guy on a ratty older bike wearing ratty gear zipped by me, lane splitting. Never saw him coming.
It seems to me that the root problem is that less and less road users have any regard for those concepts.

Many, many years ago, civilized people invented those not-killing-each-other tools in order to prevent the conflicting results that we discuss here today.

Exactly the same thing happened to me last week; only that the guy was full geared on a V-storm.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 11:05 AM   #15
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokosun View Post
Lane splitting is legal here in the UK, and 99% of riders do it, although there are some that are happy to sit in the traffic. But, despite the fact that it's legal, it's still not safe. I've had lots of near misses from people that decided to switch lanes without checking their mirrors. For that reason, I (like the vast majority of riders) travel pretty slowly when lane splitting in heavy traffic.

One of my pet peeves is the guy (and it usually is a male) who spots the bike lane splitting in his mirror and actually moves over to BLOCK the lane and prevent the rider from coming through. I guess that he just feels that if he's stuck in traffic, everybody else should be too.
I've collected a wide range of BMW, Audi, Merc & Black Cab paint on my left knee & toe sliders from those kind of Arseholes
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 11:15 AM   #16
b.miller123
ninjette.org member

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 1998 Ninja 250 2007 Yamaha R6 2003 Honda RC51... sold :(

I've done in where it is legal, and where it isn't. Sometimes it is the safer, faster, and more comfortable way to get there. Yeah, it is illegal in some places. So is left lane camping and driving around with an unsecured load or talking on a cell phone. I'd rather put those type of people far behind than sit in bumper to bumper with them. I'd also rather filter to the front of a stoplight than wait at the end of the line to get smacked by a dump truck: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/03/25...orcycle-crash/

The only reason why people here in the states are so afraid of it is because they aren't used to it. If it was common place, it wouldn't be such a big deal. California doesn't seem to be burning to the ground due to all the lane splitting. It isn't like there is a rash of people dying in all of the places it is legal.

The other reason why it isn't legal is because people need to control others and play nanny because they think something they've never done is scary and dangerous. Same reason why we have helmet laws. The irony is that at the same time they don't want anyone in their personal space. I've had people swerve at me when I passed them 100% legally. Does this mean I shouldn't pass cars because the egos of other people can't handle it? Some also like to think it is their right to do whatever they want on the road, including camping in the left lane.

One thing that most also fail to realize is that just because it is legal, doesn't mean you have to do it. Just because you think it is dangerous, doesn't mean other riders don't. Do you really need to force them into believing your way of thinking like it is some kind of crusade? Guess what? Cruiser riders all think sportbikes are dangerous. Should we let them tell us what to ride? The general public thinks all motorcycles are dangerous. Should we let them outlaw them?

The speed differentials in places where it is legal are usually slower than 30mph.
b.miller123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 12:20 PM   #17
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Yamaha TTR 50 SUCK IT

Im from CA....

soo I do it all the time. We dont have crazy freeway traffic so its generally at lights.
massacremasses is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 12:59 PM   #18
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Nevada is working on getting a law passed that makes lane splitting legal.

Would I do it? No.

Do I mind if others do it? Depends. If some asshat is going by at 20-30+ over the limit and using the line as his own personal lane, I wouldn't feel bad if they got nailed by someone changing lanes. I'd feel bad for the one who got hit from behind. If someone is being respectful and courteous of other street users and using lane splitting when stuck in rush hour traffic, ok fine whatever.

I go into Cali a lot and don't lane split. I treat my bike as a full sized vehicle and ride as such. Just because I am physically capable of it doesn't mean I should.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 21st, 2013, 01:05 PM   #19
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

masschusetts has tried it before too, to no avail.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 03:27 PM   #20
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Just because I am physically capable of it doesn't mean I should.
FWIW its been proven that lane splitting alleviates traffic.

Old May 21st, 2013, 03:37 PM   #21
Aurodox
ninjette.org member

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

I lane split in stopped traffic. It takes away the possibility of being rear-ended.
Aurodox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 03:38 PM   #22
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
folks try something like it in vehicles all the time as well. when do you not see some turd going around all the other traffic in a traffic jam through the grass, running over road cones, or all sorts of nonsense

I wanna go to this california place after seeing that video... ive seen way to many cars rear ended, and to many folks sliding into the intersection when a red light disrupts the drivers texting

Old May 21st, 2013, 03:38 PM   #23
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
:shrugs: I still stay with my answer I won't do it.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 04:03 PM   #24
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
i would def do it at red lights if it was legal... its alot harder to get rear ended by stopped cars, than by those texting not paying attention to driving up to an intersection

Old May 21st, 2013, 04:21 PM   #25
CaptainPlatypus
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '86 Honda VFR700

I ride in California, and I feel safe doing it with a sufficiently low speed differential. Between the HOV lane and the rest of the freeway, that usually means about a 10mph difference - at a red light, that usually means a 1-2 mph difference. Basically, if I feel like I can stop in time to be safe no matter what the next two cars do, I feel safe lane splitting. And I've been called on it - asshole in a beamer pulled out of the HOV lane across double yellow, without even checking his mirrors, let alone a shoulder check, with nowhere to go the other day. Ended up just sitting right across my path. I did my first stoppie burning off speed fast, but I came to a full and complete stop about five feet short of him.
CaptainPlatypus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 21st, 2013, 04:27 PM   #26
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
as someone who splits 20+ in heavy traffic every work day about 100miles, i can assure you that all of your points are invalid.

not knowing how to correctly lane split or deal with assholes and sudden closures or swerves-- sure, lane splitting is scarwey! if you look in your mirrors frequently in a car, at best you'll see a bike coming up maybe 2 or 3 cars back. unless you are sitting in the middle of the lane. either way, it doesn't matter. you aren't required to do anything. you can do whatever you want, swerve, try to block. i don't care. nobody ever sees me anyway and i'm happy with that. its my own responsibility to do things correctly and if i make a mistake by letting someone block my path or put myself in a situation where i really have no viable escape... its my own fault. that being said, i've had plenty of people try to cut me off, cut in front of me, move over, block, open doors, fling cigarettes at me. guess what. it doesn't matter and i go around them.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:03 PM   #27
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
FWIW its been proven that lane splitting alleviates traffic.
Yep, study done in Belgium, they used the traffic camera data to computer model the rush hour traffic situation on a typical 9 mile stretch of motorway, when they replace 10% of cars with bikes that can filter/split & the entire delay is reduced by 63%.

On that stretch 1925 lost vehicle hours becomes 706, expanding the numbers to the whole country (a little smaller than Maryland) they estimate a saving of around €350,000 ($450,000)per day.

COMMUTING BY MOTORCYCLE:
IMPACT ANALYSIS
http://www.tmleuven.be
Report number:

Old May 21st, 2013, 05:07 PM   #28
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
Yep, study done in Belgium, they used the traffic camera data to computer model the rush hour traffic situation on a typical 9 mile stretch of motorway, when they replace 10% of cars with bikes that can filter/split & the entire delay is reduced by 63%.

On that stretch 1925 lost vehicle hours becomes 706, expanding the numbers to the whole country (a little smaller than Maryland) they estimate a saving of around €350,000 ($450,000)per day. Belgians drive much smaller cars than yanks do.

COMMUTING BY MOTORCYCLE:
IMPACT ANALYSIS
http://www.tmleuven.be
Report number:
that's not fair. they drive waffles or something.

Old May 21st, 2013, 05:11 PM   #29
Whiskey

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
that's not fair. they drive waffles or something.
They're known for other things over here...

Belgium, the land of chocolate & paedophiles.

They only came up with the chocolate to make it easier to catch the kids

Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:14 AM   #30
b.miller123
ninjette.org member

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 1998 Ninja 250 2007 Yamaha R6 2003 Honda RC51... sold :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by massacremasses View Post
Im from CA....

soo I do it all the time. We dont have crazy freeway traffic so its generally at lights.
b.miller123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 22nd, 2013, 07:45 AM   #31
massacremasses
Avid Kitteh Poster

I live in Nor-Cal. small town. Rarely split on HWY unless going to sacramento and hit traffic.

Old May 25th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #32
Daks
Jersey Devil

Name: Daks

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250

I live in CA where lane splitting is legal and I agree with you---but only on two points: in the other 49 states, no one expects it (hell, even here only about 50% of drivers know it's legal) and it's illegal anyhow. Therefore it is very unwise.

However, lanesplitting definitely has its perks. And considering that CA's moto death count went down last year while the rest of the country went up, I wouldn't call it a terrible idea.
I'm for legal lanesplitting everywhere but only with proper education, guidelines and PSAs.

Personally, I don't do it over 30mph and only in stopped traffic.
Daks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 3rd, 2013, 04:37 PM   #33
MagicMike
ninjette.org member

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250J

It is illegal in Aus, but plenty do it.

I filter at red lights, when traffic is stopped.

When traffic is moving, I prefer, with my limited road riding experience, to claim my bit of tarmac among the rest of the traffic, just like everyone else.
MagicMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 15th, 2013, 09:04 PM   #34
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Lane splitting is illegal here in Florida but I filter through at red lights to move up to the front to avoid being stuck in traffic and potentially rear ended. I have been rear ended in a car at a red light and required surgery and physical therapy for my neck, I do not want it to happen on a bike... It's amazing though I've had people full on road rage at me honking/yelling etc when I pull up in front of them at a red light, it's not like I'm slowing them down at all or getting in their way.

Old June 15th, 2013, 09:18 PM   #35
JELY1990
Boring is my middle name.

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250r

^It's the "Wait in line" and "Me first" mentality that a lot of people have in the states. Regardless of if you're doing anything to affect them or not.

Even in California where it's legal I've had people call me a dick or glare at me. A survey in Cali found only ~50% of drivers know it's legal though so maybe that's why.
JELY1990 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 08:16 AM   #36
JBizzle
Squid Hunter

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R and '13 ZX-6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JELY1990 View Post
^It's the "Wait in line" and "Me first" mentality that a lot of people have in the states. Regardless of if you're doing anything to affect them or not.

Even in California where it's legal I've had people call me a dick or glare at me. A survey in Cali found only ~50% of drivers know it's legal though so maybe that's why.
Yea I understand that, people are just so ignorant. I've had people start moving over trying to block me, throw **** at me, etc...

I've been stopped by a police officer twice for doing this and explained to them the safety reasons behind it and they changed their attitude and let me go and carry on what I was doing. Best time was on memorial day, coming home from the beach and it was starting to rain so there is a mass exodus of cars (many of which were probably drunk) trying to leave the island and backed up bumper to bumper trying to get to and over the bridge, bike lane FTW (then passed police officer stuck on the bridge and he turned on his lights so I stopped next to him and told him why I was doing it and he told me to carry on

Old June 16th, 2013, 10:36 AM   #37
ChrisMKV
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250, 2015 F800R

We don't really have regulations for that here, but usually it's tolerated and done by most riders. As long as you don't act stupid, officers won't stop you for lane splitting or passing (going alongside cars in your lane that are either stopped or rolling slowly, the left lane is oncoming traffic).

On my commute there is a two-kilometer downhill avenue which is usually packed at peak times - usually I just coast in 2nd until the bottom which saves me a good 10min of getting cooked in stop-go

Car drivers seem to be used to it and try to make room if they see the bike - which in turn you're supposed to appreciate by sticking out your foot after passing. Not too many of the bozos that try to block you here - but that may be because of French Riders who aren't too concerned about taking off their mirrors lol.

Funny moment yesterday at this downhill: Cars are stopped, I'm rolling down at maybe 20kmh. Then I get passed by some dude on his race bicycle, he must have had at least double my speed ! Right into oncoming traffic that had to serve to avoid him... Seriously the cyclists are worse than riders here sometimes!
ChrisMKV is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 11:05 AM   #38
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMKV View Post

Funny moment yesterday at this downhill: Cars are stopped, I'm rolling down at maybe 20kmh. Then I get passed by some dude on his race bicycle, he must have had at least double my speed ! Right into oncoming traffic that had to serve to avoid him... Seriously the cyclists are worse than riders here sometimes!
The Schleck brothers at work?
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 12:23 PM   #39
lc86
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samual

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
:shrugs: I still stay with my answer I won't do it.
It's funny, when I first started riding I thought the same thing, I just couldn't see myself doing it, it just seemed too dangerous...fast forward 2 weeks and I was heading into the city (San Francisco from wine country) during 5 o'clock traffic and it came to a complete halt...it took me about 20 seconds until I said "eff this" and lane split the entire rest of the way. After that I've never had a problem with it. The point is you shouldn't knock something until you try it, I find it useful and have no problem doing it in Cali...

...With that said, while living in Maryland right outside of DC I wouldn't have done it even if it were legal...eff those drivers, all of them, seriously, every time I think of driving there I think of that terminator scene, you pretty much need the shotty

Link to original page on YouTube.

lc86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2013, 12:39 PM   #40
ChrisMKV
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250, 2015 F800R

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc86 View Post
that terminator scene, you pretty much need the shotty
Arnie and dirt bikes with infinite gears aside, I would LOVE to be able to ride alongside (or in, like the movies!) the LA River...
ChrisMKV is offline   Reply With Quote