ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 > 2013 - 2017 Ninja 300 Tech Talk

Old November 28th, 2012, 02:42 PM   #81
buffbentley
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 SE

So So awesome!!! Can't wait to get the kit for my wife and I! :-D
buffbentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2012, 06:35 PM   #82
Mehbs300
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2013 NINJA 300

Hey guys I have a pretty limited knowledge of fuels and tuning but
I live in Australia and our premium fuel here is 98 octane versus premium in the us being 92 octane. Does having a higher octane level mean there is a possibility for a better map? Will area P be making a map for 98octane fuel? Or is the slight octane difference not enough to have an impact on the tune?
Mehbs300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #83
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehbs300 View Post
I live in Australia and our premium fuel here is 98 octane versus premium in the us being 92 octane. Does having a higher octane level mean there is a possibility for a better map? Will area P be making a map for 98octane fuel? Or is the slight octane difference not enough to have an impact on the tune?
You would need to increase compression to take advantage of higher octane, which means some engine work. You should only be putting in 87 PON
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #84
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

The rating systems for octane are different. The same fuel that is rated 98 in Australia is rated roughly 93 in the US. Oz uses the RON number alone; US use (RON+MON)/2. (in other words, there's not that much difference between one rated 98 in AUS and one rated 91 or 92 in the US).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #85
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Also, I'm definitely not an expert here, but wouldn't higher octane gas have no effect from a fuel map standpoint?

I know that higher octane gas can be used to take advantage of advanced ignition timing, I'm just asking about the fuel mixture.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #86
Mehbs300
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2013 NINJA 300

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
The rating systems for octane are different. The same fuel that is rated 98 in Australia is rated roughly 93 in the US. Oz uses the RON number alone; US use (RON+MON)/2. (in other words, there's not that much difference between one rated 98 in AUS and one rated 91 or 92 in the US).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating
I thought it was a bit odd that we would have such a high octane level compared USA. The different rating system makes a ton of sense.
Thanks once again Alex.

Really looking forward to getting my Area P exhaust.
Really NOT looking forward to having to pay a small fortune for shipping it over to AUS haha
Mehbs300 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 28th, 2012, 08:47 PM   #87
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2013 300 Ninja

With higher octane rating and a programmable ECU you can advance ign a bit more without knock being such a factor and in general push the tune more so than at a lower octane rating such as 87.

Not knowing much about the 300 and the factory setup its hard to know how much benefit will be had from running higher octane with some adv ign but I will be interested in playing with it a bit and hearing what the folks at Area P have to say after their initial testing with different setups.

Higher compression motors require a higher octane to prevent knock so its not that they take advantage of it they require it to prevent detonation. They do make more power though.
Surferboy120 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 07:13 AM   #88
kbryant
Area P

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehbs300 View Post
The short answer is - No, there will not be a different map related to your specific example. That being said, it is very common to produce less power when running higher octane fuels than the engine tune is set up for. Using 87 octane will likely produce the best power in this example. Running anything higher is simply a waste of fuel and money.
kbryant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 29th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #89
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbryant View Post
The short answer is - No, there will not be a different map related to your specific example. That being said, it is very common to produce less power when running higher octane fuels than the engine tune is set up for. Using 87 octane will likely produce the best power in this example. Running anything higher is simply a waste of fuel and money.

Is it because the ign advance is already so high on these motors? With the K series engines (car engine) we see good power increases from higher ign which requires the higher oct to fight detonation.

Old November 29th, 2012, 09:30 AM   #90
kbryant
Area P

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferboy120 View Post
Is it because the ign advance is already so high on these motors? With the K series engines (car engine) we see good power increases from higher ign which requires the higher oct to fight detonation.
Not necessarily. It's really a combination of many things, including the stock compression ratio. Answering his particular question as based on a fuel/octane rating. But yes, in your particular example with a K-series car engine, there are benefits to be had as well. We experiment all the time with our WRX/STI & EVO Turbo kits, but we also incorporate water and/or methanol injection into the equation as well.

We normally stay away from altering timing on most modern street bike/street driven applications. It simply opens up too many possible bad scenarios of tune. Excessive timing can be the most frequent cause of detonation, which makes bad things happen to your engine (like when you start seeing aluminum speckles on your spark plugs...). It can also have a really obvious effect on performance in the wrong tuners hands. So we focus on A/F mapping in most cases, which will be based on the oem/stock ignition curve. We want to assure maximum reliability and longevity on street bikes.

That being said - on a Racebike, it's common that we may/will adjust the timing based on the compression, fuel being used (unleaded, leaded, oxygen content, octane, etc.) and so on, before we attempt to really get the baseline FI mapping we create to yield the optimum power output. But this also depends on so many things as well; how the rider utilizes the throttle, is he off/on, smooth, etc., and how long at full load/WOT. We can take more chances and experiment more; simply because we accept that we will be taking engines apart frequently to diagnose the results of our experimenting and the riders’ abuse of it . This is where that delicate balance is of what we see on the Dyno, to what actually occurs on the race track.

Old November 29th, 2012, 10:44 AM   #91
Surferboy120
Finding some curves....

Quote:
Not necessarily. It's really a combination of many things, including the stock compression ratio. Answering his particular question as based on a fuel/octane rating. But yes, in your particular example with a K-series car engine, there are benefits to be had as well. We experiment all the time with our WRX/STI & EVO Turbo kits, but we also incorporate water and/or methanol injection into the equation as well.

We normally stay away from altering timing on most modern street bike/street driven applications. It simply opens up too many possible bad scenarios of tune. Excessive timing can be the most frequent cause of detonation, which makes bad things happen to your engine (like when you start seeing aluminum speckles on your spark plugs...). It can also have a really obvious effect on performance in the wrong tuners hands. So we focus on A/F mapping in most cases, which will be based on the oem/stock ignition curve. We want to assure maximum reliability and longevity on street bikes.

That being said - on a Racebike, it's common that we may/will adjust the timing based on the compression, fuel being used (unleaded, leaded, oxygen content, octane, etc.) and so on, before we attempt to really get the baseline FI mapping we create to yield the optimum power output. But this also depends on so many things as well; how the rider utilizes the throttle, is he off/on, smooth, etc., and how long at full load/WOT. We can take more chances and experiment more; simply because we accept that we will be taking engines apart frequently to diagnose the results of our experimenting and the riders’ abuse of it . This is where that delicate balance is of what we see on the Dyno, to what actually occurs on the race track.
Thank you for the reply which makes perfect sense to me. With my k24a2 and other motors we did a lot of tuning using meth injection with a Lysholm twinscrew and a few other blowers so your explanation is very clear. It also makes me feel good about your upcoming product because of the approach you guys take with your map development. I will be interested in the features the ECU management software has compared to Hondata KPro. I suspect it much more limited since bikes do not have all the inputs the cars do for monitoring. Either way it will be fun especially if it has inboard data logging capabilities.

Thanks again

Thomas

Old November 29th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #92
kbryant
Area P

Eddie has delivered his bike. Testing will now begin.

Old November 29th, 2012, 03:39 PM   #93
buffbentley
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
eddie has delivered his bike. Testing will now begin.
yay!!! :-)

Old November 29th, 2012, 04:10 PM   #94
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

I can't wait to see the results.

Old November 29th, 2012, 07:29 PM   #95
beazy411
ninjette.org member

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Eddie has delivered his bike. Flogging will now begin.
Corrected for accuracy.

Old November 30th, 2012, 01:42 PM   #96
ionized
ninjette.org member

Name: Nunya

Motorcycle(s): 04' Ninja 250, 13' Ninja 300

My simple question is this:

What can we expect as far as MPG decrease with the full exhaust and FI tuning?

I know the answer is more complex than the question, but I would just like to have an estimate of the expected drop in Miles Per Gallon from the stock configuration.

Also, is there an estimate as to the retail cost of a full system with the mapper? I have already budgeted an amount and will be part of the first orders once you go live with them, I would just like to have a ballpark figure if possible.

Thanks, really looking forward to an Area P because of your extensive research and knowledge and customer support.
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 06:40 PM   #97
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ionized View Post

I know the answer is more complex than the question, but I would just like to have an estimate of the expected drop in Miles Per Gallon from the stock configuration.

Also, is there an estimate as to the retail cost of a full system with the mapper? I have already budgeted an amount and will be part of the first orders once you go live with them, I would just like to have a ballpark figure if possible.

Thanks, really looking forward to an Area P because of your extensive research and knowledge and customer support.
You may end up spending a few more dollars per year, not a big deal
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 06:59 PM   #98
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionized View Post

The simple answer is - it may not decrease the MPG. With FI, it is easier to increase efficency without compromise. For example, our full system we make for the Kawasaki C-14, along with our maps, will in many cases increase the MPG depending on the person's riding habits. It also substantially decreases radiant heat and commonly runs one "bar" cooler on the temp gauge as well. We hope for similar results as we develop the systems and maps for the 300. Normally the only reason you may see a "decrease" is because you have more power available so you are "into" the throttle much more. Then add the emotional cool factors of sound & style, and you are further "into" the throttle much more . But that's obviously part of the fun.

We estimate the prices on the exhaust will be similar to our 250 race systems. The 300 is much more complex to build, but it should be similar. The FI Micro Programmer will be $249.95 and includes the map support noted previously and a 2 year warranty. We'll have more information next week as we start building our map data base that is currently in process. We'll also have some introductory specials exclusively for ninjette members.

Old November 30th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #99
ionized
ninjette.org member

Name: Nunya

Motorcycle(s): 04' Ninja 250, 13' Ninja 300

Thanks for the reply. If mpg is still only dependent on on how hard we ride with no significant reduction from the new system, that is really good news. I will be happy if I keep it around or above 50mpg since I commute daily.

I pick up my 300 at the dealer in the morning, looking forward to the first ride home. Will definitely be one of the first to order the full system and mapper, as it appears you will be pricing it all within what I budgeted for.
ionized is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #100
kbryant
Area P

Preliminary testing

Just a few findings from our initial testing. Much of it is not too surprising and what we expected. But hopefully it will clarify some points that have been hyped up initially from other sources.

1. Baseline numbers are averaging as seen from other sources - right in the high 33 hp range. 34 in good air. Stock A/F curves are lean in the bottom end, then start to come into a semi-decent curve for the stock exhaust and non-modified airbox.

2. Removing the airbox intake snorkel does nothing, other than increase the exhaust note (and you can actually hear it above the exhaust note). And truly we noted consistent losses in power. It is not recommended without being able to adjust the A/F curve. So if you "feel" it is producing more power, this is what we refer to as "emotional horsepower".

3. Adding our FI Micro Programmer with mapping, removing the intake snorkel, drilling additional holes in the airbox adds almost .5 hp (five tenths), and increases throttle response. Although not yet tested with a K&N direct replacement panel filter, it may add a few additional tenths. The OEM filter is fairly restrictive and heavily oiled. Would it yield even better results with removing the airbox and putting on K&N Pods like we see on the 250r carb model? - Possibly, but it may be difficult to get a really linear map sorted out for it. Time will tell...

4. We designed an array of Slip-Ons to test with. Different lengths, cores, etc. A Slip-On, adds an average of .6 (yes, six tenths) with no A/F change. Adding our Micro Programmer, custom maps, and removing the intake snorkel, we were able to make 1.0 (one hp). The OEM muffler flows very well, within the design of the OEM headpipe. The primary limiting factor is the headpipe and design.

So in summary - No surprises here. The Snorkel "delete" does not yield the same gains as when it is removed from the 250/carb model (for a whole host of reasons). Airbox mods, when combined with proper A/F mapping, yield increases in power and throttle response.

The great Slip-On dilemma.... We have no plans at this time to offer a Slip-On. As with our findings on the 250r when the last new design was released in 2008, it simply does not offer any significant power increases. “But wait, others have noted significant increases in power with just a Slip-On and no other changes - How can that be true?” Obviously I can imagine how those numbers may have been created… The bottom line is - purchase a Slip-On if you want a different sound, different style, weight savings and most important of all; because that's what you want. We are not anti-Slip-On by any means. But we are anti-hype when it comes to “credible” information and data. It simply does not offer much in the way of performance; and that's just not what we are about. Much of the limiting potential is in the headpipe and mapping. But be aware that even though someone may offer a headpipe optional to go along with the Slip-On already purchased, the design is already compromised because of the Slip-On dimensions/diameters being mated to the OEM outlet routing & specs. The only way to properly design a performance oriented exhaust system on a small displacement, high reving 4 stroke, is what we call "clean-sheet" with as little compromise as possible. And that’s what we will be striving for. More info to come next week, as our full systems get on the Dyno and new A/F mapping continues.

Old December 2nd, 2012, 06:43 AM   #101
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 '09 Boulevard C50. '08 250r(TOTALED BY DEER)

Old December 2nd, 2012, 11:49 AM   #102
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

You guys are FTW at Area P and I am glad I have your exhaust on my 250. Very interested to see what you guys get out of the 300 with full exhaust and tune. Will you be offering a full exhaust for the new Honda 500s? While it is understandable alot of the budget bikes don't offer a significant market for performance exhaust, you guys are like the kings of awesome performance parts/market for small bikes.
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 4th, 2012, 06:41 PM   #103
buffbentley
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpaw View Post
Hahahaha I love this! Me too!

Old December 5th, 2012, 03:04 AM   #104
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

Kerry is making me want to buy a 300..just to get his new exhaust!!

Visit my new MotoVlog Channel !!
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 06:32 AM   #105
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsrTek View Post
Kerry is making me want to buy a 300..just to get his new exhaust!!
Sweet. Not sure we can hear much better than that.

We'll be concluding our second phase of R&D tomorrow We'll try to post conclusions on Friday after compiling all the data. Stay tuned.

Old December 5th, 2012, 01:14 PM   #106
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Kerry: can you do me a favor? Can you please post on here that you were able to achieve only really crappy results, and that the sound is terrible, and that you wouldn't put this pipe on your own bike if someone paid you? Please? If you would post something to that effect, my bank account (and my spouse) would really appreciate it.
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2012, 03:21 PM   #107
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnr4 View Post
Kerry: can you do me a favor? Can you please post on here that you were able to achieve only really crappy results, and that the sound is terrible, and that you wouldn't put this pipe on your own bike if someone paid you? Please? If you would post something to that effect, my bank account (and my spouse) would really appreciate it.
You will save quite a few marriages by doing this.

Old December 6th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #108
kbryant
Area P

Testing has been completed at this stage. Big thanx to Eddie for loaning us his bike for continued R&D. He gets "Carte blanche" in return; system of his choice, complete fender eliminator kit, FI Micro Programmer, full installation and custom Dyno Tune session (oh, and all the play adjusted out of his throttle cables... ). Enjoy the pix exclusively on ninjette.org. We're sending Alex four Sound Byte files for him to assist us in posting them as well (thank you Alex). Essentially, we'll post more exclusive technical info and results as we sift through all the data compiled during this huge R&D effort. It was not easy making power by any stretch of the imagination. But our current goals have been reached. We hope to have all info on pricing and additional technical data up on the Area P site later next week as well.

After production systems are in stock (hopefully about eight weeks for tooling/fixtures/production), we'll be sending a kit to our Micro Programmer partner (Fuelmoto) in WI. They will then develop additional maps in their perfect air/conditions of WI, along with airbox delete (K&N Filter Pod) mapping as well. With their additional expertise, we are confident that attaining 40+ is well within their grasp, as we are tantilizingly close here...

There is a whole slew of mis-information currently out there (or speculation perhaps). We hope to cut through and clarify that for you in the most un-biased way possible as this thread moves along. More to come.

Full standard mount system, standard carbon fiber muffler.

Full standard mount system, standard stainless steel muffler.

Full standard mount system, long Carbon Fiber muffler with standard and/or quiet core options.

Full standard mount system, long stainless steel muffler with standard and/or quiet core options.

Full Ultra High Mount system, standard carbon fiber muffler.

Full Ultra High Mount system, standard stainless steel muffler.

Optional Mounting Bracket to delete passenger pegs with Area P Systems.

Optional Mounting Bracket to delete passenger pegs with OEM Muffler.

Sound Bytes noted below.

Last futzed with by kbryant; December 7th, 2012 at 06:48 AM.

Old December 6th, 2012, 03:52 PM   #109
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Do we just route our tax returns directly to Area P...or what?

Old December 6th, 2012, 03:55 PM   #110
Tigerpaw
ninjette.org guru

Does Fuelmoto need a black lab rat for testing?

Old December 6th, 2012, 08:17 PM   #111
S1att3r
ninjette.org member

Name: Raygan

Motorcycle(s): White 2013 Ninja 300(Storm), Silver 2003 Fjr1300

The more I read the more I want one of these.
S1att3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 6th, 2012, 08:41 PM   #112
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

@kbryant - I added all 4 sound clips to that same post right above.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old December 7th, 2012, 10:35 AM   #113
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Its a real work of art i only wished it came out this year. :[ Cheers to all the non californias that dont have to deal with the stupid laws :[

Old December 7th, 2012, 11:39 AM   #114
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusninja View Post
Cheers to all the non californias that dont have to deal with the stupid laws
Is there a new law going into effect or something?
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #115
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

Holy baby jesus. Although I would want the QuietCore myself, that 12" pipe sounds like an absolute freaking monster.

Do you have any decibel numbers? I'm specifically wondering how much louder the quiet core pipe is compared to stock, at idle and at around 9-10k.

Well done!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 12:12 PM   #116
Fast Steve
ninjette.org newbie

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki - Suzuki

Excellent sound/tone on the 18" with or without the quiet core!
Fast Steve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 01:44 PM   #117
Alex
ninjette.org dude

/posts on SB435 / California laws moved to this thread to keep this AreaP thread on target.

Old December 7th, 2012, 02:34 PM   #118
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

Kbryant, can you confirm there is only a single cat in the muffler and no cat in the front header/mid pipe? Thanks!
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 7th, 2012, 03:41 PM   #119
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
Kbryant, can you confirm there is only a single cat in the muffler and no cat in the front header/mid pipe? Thanks!
OEM Cat is in the new left side collector (Headpipe) - not in the muffler.

Old December 7th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #120
kbryant
Area P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpaw View Post
Does Fuelmoto need a black lab rat for testing?
Yes, they will. If you are interested, send me a PM.