ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 22nd, 2016, 02:04 AM   #1
splitfire
ninjette.org member

Name: rodney

Motorcycle(s): ninja 2011 250r

affordable exhaust

hi i am new to this forum. i am thinking of getting an after market muffler
there are some no name chinese brand. are they any good. i am looking to spend not more than $100. Since i got the bike for $1500.
I saw a guy installed a cherrybomb (glasspacked) muffler. What do you guys think
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2016, 03:43 AM   #2
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
If you're looking at a chinese exhaust system, something tells me you're more into it for the noise it makes than any significant power gains/weight reduction. And if that IS all you care about, go for it. If not, I'd invest some more money into it.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 06:26 AM   #3
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Tyga systems are cheap for a full exhaust ($400) and netted my bike 31 HP after an air filter and jetting.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2016, 06:37 AM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
If you're looking at a chinese exhaust system, something tells me you're more into it for the noise it makes than any significant power gains/weight reduction. And if that IS all you care about, go for it. If not, I'd invest some more money into it.
Or perhaps it's because after only 6 months of experience and god only knows who told him what...

@splitfire - there are 3 main goals that riders are trying to accomplish when buying exhausts systems; looks cool, sounds cool/loud, improves the performance of the bike. Some even combo those goals. Which goal(s) are you trying to reach? You can get decent mufflers (cans/slipons) for lower dollar amounts, but once you get into full systems (headers, midpipe & muffler) the price goes up pretty quick.

I was partial to areap for my exhaust needs; performance, mounting and sound db requirements being on the lower end of the spectrum. Have a look in the racers areas on different or even a local forums. Racers take off those fancy slipons and sell them for cheap all the time and the new race season for many has just started. So that means somewhere out there, there are some slipons just taking up space in a racers garage. The price of new though... $100 isn't going to buy you much exhaust, maybe an extra loud slipon. Anything else is going to cost a bit more. The china cans are like winning the lotto, it's rare... but sometimes you get a winner but it's highly unlikely from the longevity perspective.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2016, 07:18 AM   #5
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
@csmith12
"areap"? Translation?
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2016, 07:22 AM   #6
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOWn60 View Post
@csmith12
"areap"? Translation?
Area P exhaust

http://areapnolimits.com/home.html

Old April 22nd, 2016, 07:33 AM   #7
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Look at Delkevic. nice quality, Great price.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2016, 07:38 AM   #8
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
Look at Delkevic. nice quality, Great price.
I put one on my Kat 600. I will agree, it's good quality for the price.

Old April 22nd, 2016, 08:18 AM   #9
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
Have one for the Ténéré, thinking about getting my wife one for the Versys too
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20151210_210755.jpg (118.0 KB, 3 views)

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2016, 09:26 AM   #10
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
FWIW I put a Danmoto slip-on on my 2012. Sounded and looked really good (IMO) and was ~$100 at the time. So if its sound and looks you're going for that's my

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2016, 11:35 AM   #11
splitfire
ninjette.org member

Name: rodney

Motorcycle(s): ninja 2011 250r

thank you guys. i think i will pass for now. coz if am going to change my muffler to an aftermarket i have to do rejet too which i dont want to do. dont want to have problems with back pressure, backfire and mileage. i'll just stay stock. If there is a muffler that doesnt require a rejet and has a good price around $100 i'll do it.
splitfire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2016, 11:59 AM   #12
BDfromBC
ninjette.org member

Name: Brandon

Motorcycle(s): EX250-J

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitfire View Post
thank you guys. i think i will pass for now. coz if am going to change my muffler to an aftermarket i have to do rejet too which i dont want to do. dont want to have problems with back pressure, backfire and mileage. i'll just stay stock. If there is a muffler that doesnt require a rejet and has a good price around $100 i'll do it.
No muffler requires a rejet. You only need to rejet when you are changing the exhaust restriction of the pipes nothing to do with the can. If you keep the stock header (where it connects to the engine) only then will you need to change any fuel/air settings

Like everyone said, if you want more noise, go for it. But it doesn't help performance at all only visual/audible. Have a nice day!
BDfromBC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #13
tgold
ninjette.org sage

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2006 1050 Speed Triple, 2010 250 Ninja racebike, YZF320RR? Racebike

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDfromBC View Post
No muffler requires a rejet. You only need to rejet when you are changing the exhaust restriction of the pipes nothing to do with the can. If you keep the stock header (where it connects to the engine) only then will you need to change any fuel/air settings

Like everyone said, if you want more noise, go for it. But it doesn't help performance at all only visual/audible. Have a nice day!
This is not correct. It is true that there are mufflers that do not require rejetting. However, mufflers certainly can and do affect performance and because of that jetting will be required.

A good example of that is the Area P exhaust that Csmith mentioned. Area P sells two different length mufflers to go with their race system, a 12" "Shorty" muffler and an 18" muffler. Can you tell me which one makes more power and why? It's the 18" one. That is because exhaust systems perform better when the exhaust gases expand more gradually toward the exit. (BTW, that is why there are megaphone exhaust systems.)

The shorter muffler basically means that there is less distance for the exhaust pressure to dissipate into the packing material whereas the longer muffler allows for a more gradual dissipation of the pressure (More like a longer megaphone.)

Look at the exhaust systems on Moto3 bikes. They have an extremely long and gradual taper to extract the maximum possible power out of the engines. They are making at least 55hp out of the 250cc single cylinder Moto3 engines now and you can bet that every bit of the exhaust system matters in making that kind of power.

Last futzed with by tgold; April 27th, 2016 at 04:33 AM. Reason: grammar
tgold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2016, 01:33 PM   #14
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
The Danmoto needed the needles shimmed.
Also the 2 Brothers that was on my 300 needed a power commander and the ones we put on my pregen needed carbs jetted.

All slip-ons.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 26th, 2016, 02:02 PM   #15
BDfromBC
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgold View Post
This is not correct. It is true that there are mufflers that do not require rejetting. However, mufflers certainly can and do affect performance and because of that jetting will be required.

A good example of that is the Area P exhaust that Csmith mentioned. Area P sells two different length mufflers to go with their race system, a 12" "Shorty" muffler and an 18" muffler. Can you tell me which one makes more power and why? It's the 18" one. That is because exhaust systems perform better when the exit gases expand more gradually toward the exit. (BTW, that is why there are megaphone exhaust systems.)

The shorter muffler basically means that there is less distance for the exhaust pressure to dissipate into the packing material whereas the longer muffler allows for a more gradual dissipation of the pressure (More like a longer megaphone.)

Look at the exhaust systems on Moto3 bikes. They have an extremely long and gradual taper to extract the maximum possible power out of the engines. They are making at least 55hp out of the 250cc single cylinder Moto3 engines now and you can bet that every bit of the exhaust system matters in making that kind of power.

No muffler requires a rejet.
What I said is correct. He has mentioned an area p exhaust system... What he mentioned was racers buy bikes with a slip on exhaust... Then they buy a fancy new exhaust system for the race season...
Now the "useless" and not requiring rejet, slipon MUFFLER is in the closet collecting dust...

I am not wrong, you can buy any MUFFLER you want, you will not require a rejet on a 250. That is the point of a slip on, you slip it on, and go.

I said you need to change the EXHAUST PIPING to require a rejet... This is still true...

Old April 26th, 2016, 02:08 PM   #16
HoneyBadgerRy

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninja 250, 04 KTM 625 SMC, 01 Xc250

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDfromBC View Post
No muffler requires a rejet.
What I said is correct. He has mentioned an area p exhaust system... What he mentioned was racers buy bikes with a slip on exhaust... Then they buy a fancy new exhaust system for the race season...
Now the "useless" and not requiring rejet, slipon MUFFLER is in the closet collecting dust...

I am not wrong, you can buy any MUFFLER you want, you will not require a rejet on a 250. That is the point of a slip on, you slip it on, and go.

I said you need to change the EXHAUST PIPING to require a rejet... This is still true...
No its not, slipons will require a reject.

Old April 26th, 2016, 02:35 PM   #17
BDfromBC
ninjette.org member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyBadgerRy View Post
No its not, slipons will require a reject.
I heard I need to change my fuel delivery setup, too — true?

The answer depends on a lot of things. What kind of bike you have, what kind of exhaust you have, and how you want your bike to behave! As a general rule, most slip-on or “muffler-only” exhaust systems do not require alterations in the fuel delivery, but even a bone-stock factory motorcycle will benefit from fuel management changes.

-Revzilla

It's a general rule... Unless your engine can push more gas out or take more air in (for example WIDER PIPING) you should NOT require changes to fuel management.

You may still want to do it, but you do not HAVE TO do it. Anybody who says you must, is frankly, full of crap. The reason most people require shimming is from removing the snorkel, or changing to K&N high flow filter, PLUS they install a slip on exhaust.

Old April 26th, 2016, 02:57 PM   #18
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

MOTM - Mar '16
It's semantics.

You're arguing for the sake of arguing.

0 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 26th, 2016, 03:00 PM   #19
bruce71198
ninjette.org sage

Name: bruce

Motorcycle(s): Race bikes:08 Ninja 250,11 R6,16 ZX6,SV650.3 HD-1947,2-2003,2010. 1946 Indian and a lot of dirt bikes.2

I would rejet it even with the stock exhaust. The bikes come lean from the factory to pass emissions and even in stock form will benefit from a jet kit and needles. Any reduction in exhaust back pressure will only make the bike run leaner.
bruce71198 is offline   Reply With Quote