ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 4th, 2016, 07:04 AM   #1
jcataldo
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Engine wants to die when I give some throttle

Hello all... So this is sort of an additional issue to another post I had.

Bought a used 2010 250R this weekend with 4600 miles on it. Test drove it and had no problems. Brought it home and a couple days later I started getting an odd burning smell from the front end after a few minutes of idling, but it was rideable (I only took it around my street a few times, barely a few miles).

Then yesterday I wanted to see if the smell was still there or if some debris burned off. Turns out it is still there and after it warmed up for a few minutes and I gave it some throttle, the RPMs dropped and the bike died. Started right back up, gave it a few seconds, roll on some throttle - no rev and it died again.

I hope I didn't waste my money here. I've been reading a bit and it seems like everyone has a different opinion.. air filter, spark plugs, clogged jets, etc. Anyone dealt with this issue before?

Thanks!
jcataldo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2016, 08:06 AM   #2
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Start checking basic things - air filter would be one. Probably needs attention anyway.

Could be something as simple as bad gas. Before ripping things apart I would drain the tank and refill with fresh gas. Drain the floatbowl as well, and see what the gas looks like that comes out.

Any time you buy a used bike you need to go through it. Check everything - fluids, chain condition and adjustment, air filter, etc...etc...
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2016, 08:24 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Its a newgent, don't forget the snorkle area.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2016, 09:01 AM   #4
jcataldo
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Start checking basic things - air filter would be one. Probably needs attention anyway.

Could be something as simple as bad gas. Before ripping things apart I would drain the tank and refill with fresh gas. Drain the floatbowl as well, and see what the gas looks like that comes out.

Any time you buy a used bike you need to go through it. Check everything - fluids, chain condition and adjustment, air filter, etc...etc...
Yeah I kind of came into the bike world as a blank slate haha, may have gotten too excited and jumped the gun.. but I hope not. I will try to drain the tank and float bowls and see what that shows. Cleaning the carbs from what I've seen isn't THAT daunting, the only part that worries me is making sure I put it all back together properly.

Old May 4th, 2016, 09:44 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcataldo View Post
Yeah I kind of came into the bike world as a blank slate haha, may have gotten too excited and jumped the gun.. but I hope not. I will try to drain the tank and float bowls and see what that shows. Cleaning the carbs from what I've seen isn't THAT daunting, the only part that worries me is making sure I put it all back together properly.
Actually, it has been proven (over and over...) that cleaning the carbs properly can be more challenging than people think.

Study this section before touching the carbs - http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Intake

There are some details included that often get overlooked.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2016, 11:41 AM   #6
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Actually, it has been proven (over and over...) that cleaning the carbs properly can be more challenging than people think.
Agreed, JKV. Reading forum posts (not here) confirms it.... such as:

"carbs? its not rocket science"....200+ posts and 4 carb pulls later the OP bike still not right.

"carb clean? You should have that done in 90 minutes" 4 days, 3 cans of carb cleaner and 2 worn toothbrushes...ditto.

Of course, there's the old..."I've cleaned them x times...they look clean". Pleeauzze.

Avoiding frustrating, time wasting re-do's...the goal of getting them right the first go-round is greatly aided by modern machines and methods. The driveway- toothbrush- spray can method, though encouraged ("you can do it, its easy!") is truly inferior. There is much more than spraying the bowls and clearing the pilot jets. Setup, AFTER clearing all circuits (and confirming they are clear) is critical as well. Then of course, fighting the impulse to "throw fuel at the problem" exists. Oversized jets, stacks of shims...more is not often better.

Just some stuff to ponder.

Hey, jcataldo...i know you!
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2016, 11:48 AM   #7
jcataldo
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
Agreed, JKV. Reading forum posts (not here) confirms it.... such as:

"carbs? its not rocket science"....200+ posts and 4 carb pulls later the OP bike still not right.

"carb clean? You should have that done in 90 minutes" 4 days, 3 cans of carb cleaner and 2 worn toothbrushes...ditto.

Avoiding frustrating, time wasting re-do's...the goal of getting them right the first go-round is greatly aided by modern machines and methods. The driveway, toothbrush, spray can method, though encouraged ("you can do it, its easy!") is truly inferior. There is much more than spraying the bowls and clearing the pilot jets. Setup, AFTER clearing all circuits (and confirming they are clear) is critical as well. Then of course, fighting the impulse to "throw fuel at the problem" exists. Oversized jets, stacks of shims...more is not often better.

Just some stuff to ponder.
Thanks for the info. I've been on the ninjawiki all day and looking at some youtube videos (although I have to say, some of the people who post those videos should never touch a wrench again...). It just seems like there's no right answer. Just weighing the options now of try to do it myself as best as I can, or bring it to a shop, spend $200+ and hope they do it right and don't screw me over. What a PITA.

Old May 4th, 2016, 11:50 AM   #8
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
jc....look closer at my signature

Old May 4th, 2016, 11:54 AM   #9
jcataldo
ninjette.org newbie

Hey would ya look at that! haha.

And right! Met yesterday on the other forum, LI guy right?

Old May 4th, 2016, 11:59 AM   #10
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
correct.

and I'll bring you in WAY under that $200+ estimate

pull and drain the carbs, PM me for mailing info, further details

all parts in stock, quick turnaround

PS did you first try to drain tank, start with fresh fuel? Spark plugs checked? gapped and torqued?