ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 18th, 2017, 10:28 PM   #1
MLR
ninjette.org member

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Smile Powered by chicken wire

So, my Musarri exhaust was deafing me and basically annoying to all.

As it had a baffle in it already I was weighing up options on which direction to go, different aftermarket, stock or modify mine.

Whilst I had it off the bike and pulled apart looking at how I could modify the internals of the Musarri I remembered a old dodgy fix.

After rummaging around the garage I found some 5mm wire mesh, I rolled up about 400mm of it into a tube and twisted it down the "silencers" full length.

I wasn't expecting much, hopefully just cut the edge of the "lawn mower at full noise" sound.

The bike now is quieter, BUT, and a big BUT, the bike has noticeably more mid and top end.

After swapping front and rear sprockets the bike would sit at 7300rpm in 6th at 100kph.

Now the bike sits right on 7000rpm and is noticeably smoother.

Moral of this story is I've been riding around for 12 months with my ears bleeding and down on power because someone fitted a exhaust and didn't tune for the change.

Now I'm back to wondering what to do with it again, I might have a drink, that will fix the issue for now.
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2017, 06:48 AM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLR View Post
After swapping front and rear sprockets the bike would sit at 7300rpm in 6th at 100kph.

Now the bike sits right on 7000rpm and is noticeably smoother.
Good deal that you made an improvement, but I'm confused because I think you're saying that making a change to the exhaust system changed your overall drive ratio.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2017, 10:08 AM   #3
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Yeah, not sure how muffler packing changes gearing?

I remember in '80s, lots of aftermarket mufflers used fibreglass or steel wool. Kinda annoying that the stuff would get blown out and you'd have to repack.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2017, 01:24 PM   #4
MLR
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Good deal that you made an improvement, but I'm confused because I think you're saying that making a change to the exhaust system changed your overall drive ratio.
Yeap, it had me baffled, maybe its making better torque to push through the wind.

It still doesn't make sense really but for some reason it does have the engine more at ease.

Old November 19th, 2017, 01:27 PM   #5
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Chicken wire... It's like duct tape with holes.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2017, 02:28 PM   #6
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
"it had me baffled"
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 19th, 2017, 02:30 PM   #7
ducatiman

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
obvious no one is screening these posts
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2017, 02:35 PM   #8
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Chicken wire... It's like duct tape with holes.
T-shirt.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2017, 03:06 PM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Yeap, it had me baffled, maybe its making better torque to push through the wind.

It still doesn't make sense really but for some reason it does have the engine more at ease.
Not only doesn't it make sense, it's impossible. One explanation is your tachometer's calibration changed for some reason unrelated to your exhaust change.

Old November 19th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #10
MLR
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Not only doesn't it make sense, it's impossible. One explanation is your tachometer's calibration changed for some reason unrelated to your exhaust change.
The tach playing up would be the only thing that makes sense, the thing is still doing it though.

Maybe the chicken wire not only fixed my noise and power issues, it seems to have recalibrated my tach.

Maybe the chicken wire has bleed my brakes, changed my pads and put on some new tyres, I hope it has also done my valves, that would be sweet.

I'm thinking about making some underpants out of chicken wire and reap the obvious benifits, the missus will be well pleased.

Old November 24th, 2017, 12:01 AM   #11
MLR
ninjette.org member

So, although the chicken wire was doing some Harry Potter stuff to my bike (my daughters diagnosis of the chicken wire results) I grabbed some new packing from my local bike store.

$18.00 for a bag, I packed (jammed) about half in and started it up, straight away the sound was more muffled even with the baffle removed, but still to loud.

I stuck the baffle in a did a blocky, better than the old packing, chicken wire and baffle but still sort of annoying as my OCD was just starting to kick in.

So, back in went the chicken wire mesh.

The bike sounds nice now, from idle to redline, it seems to have kept the magic from the initial instalation of the chicken wire.

Sadly I believe the brakes, tyres or valves have not had any benifit from the documented (lol) magic that the chicken wire has obviously achieved.

The bike is still running at a lower rpm at 100kph than it was before the magic occured.

All magic aside, it seems my bike and it's fueling is loving the change in restriction the chicken wire is giving.

If anyone smarter than me (pretty much anyone over the age of 5) can shed some light on this I would be extremely grateful.

If anyone needs some chicken wire with magical properties I've got enough to make another tachometer calibrating silencer baffle.

Old November 24th, 2017, 12:11 AM   #12
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I understand the mathematical issue that other members are having. But I also believe, if there is no problem, then nothing else needs to be done.

Is the bike happy? - check
Are you happy? - check
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2017, 01:54 AM   #13
MLR
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I understand the mathematical issue that other members are having. But I also believe, if there is no problem, then nothing else needs to be done.

Is the bike happy? - check
Are you happy? - check
Oh I agree, with the fixed gearing the tach shouldn't have changed, as far as I'm concerned the bike is totally disregarding the order of the universe.

I'm not to concerned though.

On a side note my new chicken wire underpants don't seem to be having the same effect.......sadly.

Old November 24th, 2017, 06:35 AM   #14
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Wear earplugs, the wind noise is harder on your ears then your exhaust.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2017, 07:20 AM   #15
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I'm not clear on where this chicken wire is. Did you take any photos?

Old November 24th, 2017, 07:35 AM   #16
RcTechnologies
ninjette.org member

Name: Russ

Motorcycle(s): '12 EX250JC

might actually be speedometer fickle.

I do know that during the winter, my speedometer is a little sluggish when I first get on the highway. Ie, when I know Im doing 85-90, the speedo reads 79ish. Then after running for a while to and then sitting near hot exhaust headers, my speedo will get somewhat more accurate.

Perhaps OP is referencing his tach according to his speedo. The speedo is the old mechanical cable type, where as the tach runs off of pulses from the ignition box. If you speedo is sluggish, you will actually be traveling at a slower speed, thus the tach will also reflect a lower rpm.
RcTechnologies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2017, 12:39 PM   #17
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
This thread makes me giggle. I'm glad your bike is running so well and making you happy!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 24th, 2017, 02:22 PM   #18
MLR
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I'm not clear on where this chicken wire is. Did you take any photos?
No photo's sorry, I just removed the baffle and screwed/sliped the rolled up length in, then replaced the baffle.

It's not due to temp, it's currently around 25 30 deg Celsius, bike was road through winter with no issues, it didn't get below 0 deg Celsius once here.

I'm not down for ear plugs, if the noise is annoying me when my helmet is on I pity the people next to me who have to put up with it.

The bike still has some noise, now it's just not Harley wanker with drag pipes loud.

Sadly Ii had to stop wearing my chicken wire underpants, due to electrolytic corrosion, the gal was reacting with the brass in the moist conditions.

Old November 24th, 2017, 02:38 PM   #19
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
No photos sorry, I just removed the baffle and screwed/slipped the rolled up length in, then replaced the baffle.
OK, so it's not actually wadded up in the flow path I assume? Or maybe it is.

Quote:
I'm not down for ear plugs, if the noise is annoying me when my helmet is on I pity the people next to me who have to put up with it.
As cbinker said, wind noise can be a problem. It's hard to find a helmet that's so quiet it keeps wind noise from causing long term hearing damage.

Old November 24th, 2017, 05:26 PM   #20
MLR
ninjette.org member

Quote:
OK, so it's not actually wadded up in the flow path I assume? Or maybe it is.

As cbinker said, wind noise can be a problem. It's hard to find a helmet that's so quiet it keeps wind noise from causing long term hearing damage.
My SHOEI RF 1200 is pretty sweet IRT noise.

I rolled the mesh up like a roll of, um, toilet paper, rolled up magazineor a joint 8f you are that way inclined, the exhaust still has a straight path, well sort of, it just has alot of things for the noise to bash against to cancel it out.

When I finished it was like a 1.5 foot × 1.5 inch joint, it even had a happy ending.

Disclaimer: No chickens were harmed during these shenanigans.

Old November 24th, 2017, 11:32 PM   #21
Ram Jet

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:

I rolled the mesh up like a roll of, um, toilet paper, rolled up magazineor a joint 8f you are that way inclined, the exhaust still has a straight path, well sort of, it just has alot of things for the noise to bash against to cancel it out.

When I finished it was like a 1.5 foot × 1.5 inch joint, it even had a happy ending.

I can see where rolled-up chicken wire might break-up the sound waves a-bit.

Chicken wire U-trou? Have you has a tetanus vaccination lately? I've heard of a guy getting really "wired" but this is extreme!

Cheers,

Bill

Old November 25th, 2017, 07:30 AM   #22
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:

Long term exposure to wind noise damages your hearing regardless of the helmet. Which is why I said Ear Plugs.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old November 25th, 2017, 08:35 AM   #23
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
Long term exposure to wind noise damages your hearing regardless of the helmet. Which is why I said Ear Plugs.
Your not the first person I've head mention ear plugs while riding. I remember reading a motorcycle road test in a magazine article and the rider mentioning that he always wore ear plugs while riding. I'm a-little nervous about wearing ear plugs being afraid I might not hear something I need to to avoid an accident or fail to hear an unusual/unnatural engine noise. I am tempted to try wearing ear plugs sometime. I have a few pair that I use while target practicing at the shooting range. I think I'll give it a try next riding season. I do think I have suffered some hearing loss as a result of being exposed to wind noise and loud exhausts.

Bill

Old November 25th, 2017, 08:49 AM   #24
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Bill, although I've been conscious of protecting my ears since my teens, I didn't think of ear plugs in my early days of riding. In the last decade I've worn ear plugs, and find that I can hear sounds around me when riding just as well as without them. The plugs just lower all the noise to a safe level, and when I get home and take them out, I suddenly hear all the low level sounds around me as if I hadn't ridden that day.

The roll-up-insert-and-expand type foam plugs are available in different sound reduction levels. I like the yellow ones, but a friend uses grey ones that don't cut noise as much. So even with those cheap ones, you can choose the level noise you want.

Old November 25th, 2017, 11:10 AM   #25
cbinker
Track Clown

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Your not the first person I've head mention ear plugs while riding. I remember reading a motorcycle road test in a magazine article and the rider mentioning that he always wore ear plugs while riding. I'm a-little nervous about wearing ear plugs being afraid I might not hear something I need to to avoid an accident or fail to hear an unusual/unnatural engine noise. I am tempted to try wearing ear plugs sometime. I have a few pair that I use while target practicing at the shooting range. I think I'll give it a try next riding season. I do think I have suffered some hearing loss as a result of being exposed to wind noise and loud exhausts.

Bill
Quote:
Bill, although I've been conscious of protecting my ears since my teens, I didn't think of ear plugs in my early days of riding. In the last decade I've worn ear plugs, and find that I can hear sounds around me when riding just as well as without them. The plugs just lower all the noise to a safe level, and when I get home and take them out, I suddenly hear all the low level sounds around me as if I hadn't ridden that day.

The roll-up-insert-and-expand type foam plugs are available in different sound reduction levels. I like the yellow ones, but a friend uses grey ones that don't cut noise as much. So even with those cheap ones, you can choose the level noise you want.
I use the Shooting Earplugs that you can get at Cabellas. Conversations are difficult, but dulling the hearing sense, heightens the other senses including the visual. I can actually hear the bike noises better, and the plugs filter out the obnoxious wind noise and makes the rides soothing. Ear plugs = Less distractions.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com

Old November 25th, 2017, 12:02 PM   #26
Ram Jet

Quote:

Thank you for that perspective T.J. I've used the foam earplugs before at the shooting range. They are comfortable and after a while you forget you are wearing them. I have a few pair in my gun field kit. This spring I'm going to give it a whirl. I love music and have a very nice HiFi and well over 500 CDs. I would like to continue to enjoy my music sooo . . .

Thanks again,

Bill