ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old August 8th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #1
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), and 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R (multiple winter project)

Hello from Germantown, Maryland!

I'm a little late, but I'm glad that I finally got my first motorcycle. I completed my Rider's Edge course at the Harley-Davidson dealership in Frederick last November, and I must have passed on a few dozen bikes before I decided on a '05 250R with 5050 miles this past weekend.

It's still not on the road. I see that there are a bunch of Marylanders on this forum, so they know my pain dealing with the MVA. I won't have time to get to the MVA until this Friday. I need to transfer the title, apply for registration and a temporary tag. Then I'll have 30 days to get it inspected. I'm debating on taking it up to JT Motorsports in Frederick, Battleys in Gaithersburg, or finding a local gas station that will inspect motorcycles.

I do have some work to do. The carb needs to be cleaned because it won't run without the choke. The seller wouldn't admit it, but the bike definitely sat for the past 2 years. The previous owner only put on 49 miles in 2 years after purchasing it used. My guess is that she dropped it and never went back on. There's minimal damage because she dropped it in a parking lot, but I have to install a new front light which she included with the bike. I can live with the scraped left mirror and paint chip in the fairing.

I'll probably do an oil change with a new K&N filter and replace the spark plugs with fresh NGKs. Everything else appears to be alright. The battery was always on a trickle charger, and it was stored indoors in a shed under a cover. The tires are original Dunlops and have slight cracking on the sidewalls. I think they'll pass inspection this month, but I do plan to replace them next year.

I checked the VIN in Kawasaki.com, and it appears that the original owner purchased a 5 year Good Times Protection Plan. So it's been well taken of during it's lifetime. I don't think it's ever been in the rain. There's also an outstanding fuel tank leak recall, so I will have to ask a Kawasaki dealer about it.

Lastly, the rear end has been lowered. My guess is 2" by matching the type of aftermarket links on my bike with what's available for sale. I'm 5'10" so I need to bring it back up to stock. I already ordered a used OEM pair on eBay. I don't think the front end has been lowered because there are no fork bushings. I can't get the bike on its center stand by myself, so I'll have to get fork measurements later. I also don't think anyone would go through the trouble of adjusting the fork internals and not replace the side stand, which is original. I'm amazed that there isn't more damage from drops because the bike is nearly vertical when parked.

I hope to be on the road soon. I'm in a great part of Maryland to ride. I'm right off Clopper Road, which was the inspiration for "Country Roads, Take Me Home." The state park used for most of the scenes in Blair Witch Project is just down Clopper Road from me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ninja.jpg (55.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg loweringlinks.jpg (25.6 KB, 1 views)
jaesun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2012, 09:11 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome and gratz on your bike!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

yeaaaaaaaa MD supsup. we have a ride planned on the 18th if you are able to get up and running by then

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111181
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 8th, 2012, 10:29 PM   #4
KJohnson21
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Stingray1000

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Welcome!
Stingray1000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #6
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), and 1985 Kawasaki GPZ900R (multiple winter project)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Lemon View Post
yeaaaaaaaa MD supsup. we have a ride planned on the 18th if you are able to get up and running by then

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=111181
I'd totally love to. But if I get my bike running by next saturday, I'll probably be puttering around a local school parking lot after the morning premier league matches.

Give me a month or two.

Old August 11th, 2012, 08:27 PM   #7
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Name: Malinda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Hi Jason and welcome
userjh160 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2012, 08:38 PM   #8
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

Welcome buddy! And I feel your pain on the MD MVA bullshit. Nothing worse.
ryan.chin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #9
jaesun
ninjette.org member

The MVA wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It took about 15 minutes before getting my number from the information desk, and I then waited a little over an hour before I got to the counter. I paid the tax, the ridiculous $100 title fee, and walked out with a real license plate but with stickers that expire in September. Once I get the inspection completed, I'll have to go back and pay a 2-year registration fee. Ugh.

I got a lot done on the bike. All of the shipments I needed came in on Friday and Saturday. I managed to get the carburetor out after I dismanted most of the bike. I used a fancy JIS Philips #2 screw driver still managed to strip 2 bolts. I ended up having to drill out one of them. I also found out the hard way that my flathead screwdriver was not wide enough for the pilot jet. I hope that I didn't strip them. I'll get a better screwdriver before I try again. If I had known it would be this much of a pain, I would have waited until the 2013's came out with the EFI.

On a good note: I got the aftermarket lowering links out and replaced them with some OEM ones. I can now use the center stand, and the bike leans a lot more with the side stand.

I really want to finish on Sunday because it's going to be harder to remember where every bolt goes the longer I wait. But I have relatives coming back to the area, and we're having a crab feast. Summer in Maryland. ahhhh...

Last futzed with by jaesun; August 11th, 2012 at 10:08 PM. Reason: grammar

Old August 12th, 2012, 08:26 AM   #10
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #11
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Old August 15th, 2012, 10:11 PM   #12
jaesun
ninjette.org member

This 2006 500R was my deciding factor to get a 250R.

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/n...208593470.html

I went to the Capital Auto Auction in Temple Hills a few weeks ago mainly because they had a 2006 500R with only 7 miles. Yes, 7 miles.

When I went to inspect it in person, it was wrecked. Not sure how, but nearly all of the damage was on the right side. The rear brake lever was bashed in and unusable. The front fairing was cracked by the right mirror. The engine was gouged, but mostly on the covers which could be replaced. The muffler and fairings were also scraped. Even the mags were scuffed showing metal beyond the paint. There was also a little ding in the gas tank.

I couldn't tell for sure but the forks didn't seem straight either. But I wasn't about to straighten it out to find out for sure because the bike reeked of urine. There was a rat nest inside the lower front fairing, and there was a huge pile of rat feces underneath the windshield.

My guess is that the new owner went out for the first ride and wrecked. Probably kept the bike inside a garage with the intention to get back it back up and running but never did and left the bike to the rats. 6 years later, the owner was probably too embarrassed to explain the damage with 7 miles on the odometer and the rat feces, so the bike was donated to a charity.

The surprising part is that the bike actually sold for $950, which was probably at least $1250 out of pocket for the buyer after fees and taxes. Maybe more depending on title fees. In Maryland it's $100 while in Virginia it's $35 from what I remember.

I normally wouldn't call a seller from craigslist out on a forum, but this ad is ridiculous. There isn't any amount of bleach which will get the urine smell out of the plastic and especially the hoses. The photo is from the motorcycle section of the auction yard! Buyer beware.

Back to my original point, I can totally imagine myself being overwhelmed by a 500R just like the original rider was on this CL gem. But I also didn't feel that uncomfortable on the Buell from my MSF course. Just to be on the safe side, I went with a 250R for my first bike.

I really need to get off craigslist. I might need an intervention because I shouldn't be on it anyway. I'm almost done cleaning the carburetor and will start on getting the bike back together in the next day or so. I hope to have my first real ride by the end of the week. I also got my insurance paperwork from GEICO. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I was rated 70 -5MS. I thought my rate was low. Now I know why.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rat_ninja.jpg (64.0 KB, 1 views)

Old August 16th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #13
Andymot0426
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

Welcome! I'm very new myself both to this forum and to motorcycle riding in general. Its good to see someone in Germantown with a 250 as well. We should ride together sometime!
Andymot0426 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2012, 03:11 PM   #14
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaesun View Post
I'd totally love to. But if I get my bike running by next saturday, I'll probably be puttering around a local school parking lot after the morning premier league matches.

Give me a month or two.
Soccer fan, nice. What team do you root for?
I don't care too much for the bpl though, games tend to be boring/low scoring.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2012, 08:13 PM   #15
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymot0426 View Post
Welcome! I'm very new myself both to this forum and to motorcycle riding in general. Its good to see someone in Germantown with a 250 as well. We should ride together sometime!
If I can't get my bike back together again, I might need to use yours as a reference!

Old August 16th, 2012, 08:30 PM   #16
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Soccer fan, nice. What team do you root for?
I don't care too much for the bpl though, games tend to be boring/low scoring.
I hate Man U just as much as the Dallas Cowboys and Duke basketball. I was born and raised in Maryland outside of DC. I also lived in Liverpool for a few years. I'm not going to justify the hate or try to explain it. It is what it is.

I usually enjoy the relegation battles, but last year's finale with Manchester City and QPR was insane. I don't know who I'll support this season. I'm excited about Brandon Rodgers after what he did with Swansea. My favorite players at Everton aren't there anymore, but I believe in David Moyes. But I'll probably get a new Warrior LFC or a QPR Park Ji-Sung jersey in the next couple of weeks. Not sure though. I kinda blew my budget with the safety gear for the bike.

I know you mean by the games. I'd recommend watching saturday's Match of the Day if you get the chance. They'll edit every game to 5 minutes and include analysis so you'll know what to look for. If you're good with google, you should be able to find a way to watch it.

Old August 17th, 2012, 05:16 AM   #17
ninjagaiden09
ninjette.org member

Name: Mel

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r

Welcome and congrats with your bike.
ninjagaiden09 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2012, 08:54 PM   #18
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 19th, 2012, 12:56 PM   #19
jaesun
ninjette.org member

It's alive!

The Good:
* Carb clean went great once I got the proper screwdrivers (JIS-2 Phillips and Keihin-Specific Slotted for the Pilot Jet).
* Replaced spark plugs with NGK CR8HSA. The ones I pulled out were C8HSA. I don't know if these were original or replacements.
* Took out the old filter and added an inline filter.
* Oil Change with Shell Rotella and K&N filter.
* Cleaned up the oil screen - A few bits of metal and gasket junk.
* Added a vent tube for the battery which came with the bike and appears to keep charge alright. It's a Yuasa YB12A-A, so it's definitely not original and a brand I trust. There was moderate corrosion under the seat because the previous owner neglected the vent tube, so I cleaned that up as well.
* Replaced the air filter with new OEM.
* Replaced the broken turn signal.

The Bad:
* Throttle cable issues. When I turn to the extreme right, the RPM go up. I suspect that I put the gas tank on incorrectly. I'll take it off so I can reposition the throttle cable.
* I need to replace that really soft screw which connects the throttle bracket to the carburetor. I hate these soft JIS screws. I think I might have stripped it putting it back in. I hope I don't have to drill it to get it off.
* Didn't get to clean and oil the chain because I got caught up in this thunderstorm.
* Got a replacement key cut, but it isn't working with the gas cap. Will have to stop by the locksmith shop with the bike to get it fine tuned. The guy there did warn me when I had it cut, so I'm surprised that it worked in all of the locks but one.
* The cracks in the tire still worry me.
* Needs Maryland inspection. Any suggestions?

Old August 21st, 2012, 12:32 PM   #20
ryan.chin
ninjette.org sage

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaesun View Post
It's alive!

The Good:
* Carb clean went great once I got the proper screwdrivers (JIS-2 Phillips and Keihin-Specific Slotted for the Pilot Jet).
* Replaced spark plugs with NGK CR8HSA. The ones I pulled out were C8HSA. I don't know if these were original or replacements.
* Took out the old filter and added an inline filter.
* Oil Change with Shell Rotella and K&N filter.
* Cleaned up the oil screen - A few bits of metal and gasket junk.
* Added a vent tube for the battery which came with the bike and appears to keep charge alright. It's a Yuasa YB12A-A, so it's definitely not original and a brand I trust. There was moderate corrosion under the seat because the previous owner neglected the vent tube, so I cleaned that up as well.
* Replaced the air filter with new OEM.
* Replaced the broken turn signal.

The Bad:
* Throttle cable issues. When I turn to the extreme right, the RPM go up. I suspect that I put the gas tank on incorrectly. I'll take it off so I can reposition the throttle cable.
* I need to replace that really soft screw which connects the throttle bracket to the carburetor. I hate these soft JIS screws. I think I might have stripped it putting it back in. I hope I don't have to drill it to get it off.
* Didn't get to clean and oil the chain because I got caught up in this thunderstorm.
* Got a replacement key cut, but it isn't working with the gas cap. Will have to stop by the locksmith shop with the bike to get it fine tuned. The guy there did warn me when I had it cut, so I'm surprised that it worked in all of the locks but one.
* The cracks in the tire still worry me.
* Needs Maryland inspection. Any suggestions?
I know a guy who knows a guy whose pretty shady but for a few extra bucks he will pass your vehicle. Regardless of condition.

Old August 21st, 2012, 01:44 PM   #21
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Ah, I already ordered new set of tires. Figured that I didn't want to find out the hard way on 270 that the cracking and age of the tires are an issue. I went with Bridgestone BT45s.

I also think I'll stay local. Problem is the only place I can find so far in Germantown charges 75 bucks.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:55 PM   #22
Andymot0426
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r

I have to get my bike inspected myself. I registered the bike on the 9th so I have a little wiggle room for now. I was told at the MVA in Gaithersburg that there is a Shell gas station at the corner of Clopper Rd. and Quince Orchard blvd. that does motorcycle inspections. Not sure about the price though. I do plan on checking it out this Friday or Saturday. We can go if you're up for it! Oh and to the guy who hates Man U, I do too my friend, I do too. I'm an Arsenal fan so I am especially bitter right now.
Andymot0426 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 23rd, 2012, 04:19 AM   #23
jaesun
ninjette.org member

my tires come in today. I don't think I'll be ready until next week. Might order a handlebar too. my 30 days also end on the 9th. But they gave me a real plate with stickers that expire on the end of September. I'm more worried about the parking nazis. So I think i'm good until then.

I know the precision auto on middlebrook will charge 75 but only do motorcycles on weekdays. cyclemax USA in Gaithersburg is 65. I also need to call trlt cycles which is in Germantown.

Horrible move by van persie.

Old September 7th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #24
jaesun
ninjette.org member

Things that I learned during my first 200 miles:

1. I thought counting to 5 was hard. And then I found out after 100 miles that there's a 6th gear. I haven't been on the highway yet so I haven't used 6th gear all that much. But I honestly thought that there was only 5 until my cousin me otherwise last weekend.
2. I'm loving these new Bridgestones. The 8 year old OEM Dunlops by comparison felt like I was riding on ice skates. I need to get more comfortable with shifting so I can go on some twisties to put some wear on the sides. Oh, and my internet tires were manufactured in Japan around February/March 2012. Maybe I lucked out, but I'm happy with the purchase. I got the tires professionally mounted and balanced for $45 too.
3. I can get at least 15 miles on the reserve.
4. Related to 3, I now know the signs of low gas so in the future I will switch to the reserve before the engine dies while traveling at 50 mph. Lesson learned.
5. If I ever pick up a new project, get rid of the old gas. I actually left some of the old, 2 year old gas and mixed in new gas. Now that the old mix is gone, the throttle response is a lot smoother.
6. ATGATT. It only gets hot at the stoplights.
7. I don't feel like I'm getting a lot of air circulation into my Shoei RF-1000. But gnats aren't having any problems finding a way in and buzzing on and off my face. I have to figure out a way to stop this.
8. I've had a few "oh crap" moments. Luckily they were at low speed. But I found out that the tank pad doesn't do much for protecting against body impact. Maybe I should wear a pad? I'm already wearing knee pads. I should probably protect the most important area as well.
9. Every sport bike I've encountered has waved. I rarely get a wave from Harley riders. Um, I have yet to wave back. It's next on my list.
10. I found my cover unstrapped the other day. My guess is that someone peeked underneath. Not sure if it was a potential thief, curious kid, or the community parking nazis checking out the license plate for current tags. Just to be safe, I'm buying a disc lock and cable lock for the cover this weekend. I've also moved my parking location so it's blocked in by cars.

As for a status update, I took my ninjette into a local auto shop in Germantown today for inspection. I was worried that a motorcycle shop or dealer would find something wrong just to charge me extra for labor. It's a 7-8 year old motorcycle, so there's potential for a lot to be not perfect. I called around and found an auto shop that inspects motorcycles but will not work on them. My thought was that if there's no incentive for them to make some bogus claim to fail me, I'd get a more honest safety assessment.

Well, mine failed but not for why I thought it would fail. Of all the things that I was worried about, I didn't think I had a sticky throttle. It's good news that it's not going to cost me anything to fix. The bad news is that since the shop does not work on motorcycles, I had to take it home and will have to bring it back some time next week. The dumb part is that I think I fixed the problem in about 5 minutes. I took the throttle cables off last week to lube them, but I guess the grips were rubbing against the plastic when I reattached them. Well, I'll have to find someone local to confirm that it's repaired before I take it back for inspection. But things are looking good.

Old September 7th, 2012, 07:36 PM   #25
Old Lemon
Lays er down

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Lime green Ninja 250R

sounds great mang, and a tank pad isnt there to protect your jewels, its there to protect the tank from your jewels. I.E. like if you brake hard and hit the tank, you wont scratch the paint
Old Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #26
Minikin_Jo
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jo

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Wow, those are some sharp jewels.

Old September 13th, 2012, 03:36 PM   #27
jaesun
ninjette.org member

I'm legal! Passed inspection on Monday. Got my registration and 2014 sticker on Tuesday. Kept the same tag which was originally the temp.

No changes with the tank pad. I'll keep an eye out on it for scratches though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old September 13th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #28
userjh160
ninjette.org guru

Name: Malinda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Great!!!
userjh160 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #29
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

BlueHairSar is offline   Reply With Quote