ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old July 31st, 2013, 02:04 PM   #81
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Name: mitch

Motorcycle(s): Green Ninja 250 2008!!!!

Got another video qued up, a little bit of parking lot practice, emergency stops and such.

@Motofool
I wasnt sure if you wanted emergency stops or smooth stops from 15, most of my stops were emergency and later some smoothish ones because I didn't know what you wanted. In regards to the slowing down then cracking open the throttle I wasnt quite sure what you mean? I sped up to 25 then down to 10 then cracked it back open up to 20 again? Dunno. I can do it again.

Also I recorded myself generally riding back twards my house in normal traffic. Thats a tad long and I need to somehow edit it on this crap laptop so itll be in another video.
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2013, 02:22 PM   #82
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
It's ok if you do, speed is like an addiction and I have had it since I was young. If I am in a car that can go fast...sooner or later I am going to push it, no way around it, I can't be trusted. Same goes for a motorcycle and not trying to sound like a douche or talk the ninja down but one of the reasons I got a ninja250 was because it did not have crazy break neck acceleration and speed. Since I know I can not trust myself to keep the speed down I needed to find another way to keep the demon at bay. So all this coming from a bit of a hypocrite but try and get your kicks at the track not on the street.

I would now like to point out that my ninja250 will comfortably take corners faster than I am willing to go so looks like my plan didn't work very well the demon lives!!

but in all seriousness good judgment goes a long way but it seems like you either have it... or you don't, lets hope you have it.
dead on the reason why I bought a 300 rather than a friend's cbr600f4i (insurance included price would have been roughly the same and I know the bike was maintained properly) I can hardly trust myself on a 300 since it'll go just as fast as my gti on any back road (I feel like the car corners faster but the bike is so much more fun and I'm no kneedragger yet anyway)

edit: actual advice. when it comes to group rides you can always ride with the cruiser crowd, I live next door to a guy who manages at a harley dealership so they're around me and they welcomed me on their rides any time I want to go. It's a nice pace for a beginner and the harley riders tend to not have an ego so long as they don't hold the attitude "if it's not a harley it's not a real bike" then you're good to go. though you can expect jokes to fly around xD and once you get better it becomes painfully slow at times, but my group is understanding and they let me pass when I signal to them that I want to try a faster pace (one guy likes to follow behind and critique me too former motocross racer and he did several track days "back in the day")
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2013, 07:44 PM   #83
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
.....@Motofool
I wasnt sure if you wanted emergency stops or smooth stops from 15, most of my stops were emergency and later some smoothish ones because I didn't know what you wanted. In regards to the slowing down then cracking open the throttle I wasnt quite sure what you mean? I sped up to 25 then down to 10 then cracked it back open up to 20 again? Dunno. I can do it again.
Don't sweat it, Mitch; we will guide you step by step and at your learning speed.

Take a look at these before our first emergency stops' practices (and don't let the numbers scare you ):
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=267&Set=
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=213&Set=

And read these in your spare time:
http://www.msgroup.org/Articles.aspx?Cat=1
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2013, 08:30 PM   #84
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Link to original page on YouTube.

Video is kinda long, this one is just me riding back tword my house, at the end I do the golf course spiral turn successfully @NevadaWolf thanks for the advice

Old July 31st, 2013, 09:10 PM   #85
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
LOL I like the fist pump.

See? Nice when things flow smoothly. Speed comes with experience, right now you are working on control. When you can control the bike, when you know how she leans, turns, moves, then you can work on speed.

I'll let the more experienced eyes do any critiquing since they can spot smoothness of lines better than me. The only comment I have, and it is strictly a comment as this varies depending on rider mentality and traffic attitude, is keep your eyes forward. So there's construction workers on the side street, stare at them when parked. So the car was passing you on the right, no need to track it as it does. So there's a biker coming up on your left, no need to look back at him (same with the bike at the intersection). I can see you are doing good head checks (well, your head is moving properly, hopefully your eyes are following) but the important stuff is in front of you. Yes, keep your head on a swivel, be aware of what's around and behind you, just don't fixate on it.

Again, that all varies based on conditions and mentality. It is not advice as I am sure I have done the same thing depending on what caught my eye. But do keep an eye out in front.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 31st, 2013, 10:05 PM   #86
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

@Motofool
the last few seconds I think might qualify as the slowing down and cracking back open that you were looking for

Old July 31st, 2013, 11:16 PM   #87
aeroblade
Doh!

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

In my humble personal opinion, I'd suggest you get out of the parking lot and practice on the streets with another experienced rider. They can asses your riding techniques properly and fill you in on the areas where you could improve. Parking lots won't prepare you enough for what's out there. On a bike its just a whole different ball game as you probably would have already figured out yourself. I'd never recommend parking lots unless the person has no idea on how to get the bike moving or stopping at all. As soon as you can get your feet up in a straight line, its time to stick to the streets.

As I always say to new riders, Fear makes you vigilant and fearlessness makes you an idiot. Confidence is the key and it can only be achieved by overcoming each fear.

Safe riding!

Old July 31st, 2013, 11:25 PM   #88
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroblade View Post
In my humble personal opinion, I'd suggest you get out of the parking lot and practice on the streets with another experienced rider. They can asses your riding techniques properly and fill you in on the areas where you could improve. Parking lots won't prepare you enough for what's out there. On a bike its just a whole different ball game as you probably would have already figured out yourself. I'd never recommend parking lots unless the person has no idea on how to get the bike moving or stopping at all. As soon as you can get your feet up in a straight line, its time to stick to the streets.

As I always say to new riders, Fear makes you vigilant and fearlessness makes you an idiot. Confidence is the key and it can only be achieved by overcoming each fear.

Safe riding!
While I do agree I cant exactly practice emergency stops in the street, so I head to a parking lot seeing as thats an empty open flat space for me to charge around in. As you can see all my videos take place on the street in live traffic except for my emergency stops requested by motofool

Awesome sig btw

Old August 1st, 2013, 01:59 AM   #89
aeroblade
Doh!

Quote:
While I do agree I cant exactly practice emergency stops in the street, so I head to a parking lot seeing as thats an empty open flat space for me to charge around in. As you can see all my videos take place on the street in live traffic except for my emergency stops requested by motofool

Awesome sig btw
Yes that is good, all I'm saying is that you learn braking in parking lots and 'emergency braking' while on the streets :P You don't wanna program your brain on a single flat surface like the parking lot. There ain't always gonna be a flat open space to stop at your own pace and comfort zone. That's why you have to mix it up, let it play and let your instincts take over.

For eg : you're on a wet, sandy or lose gravel road. You are required to stop all of a sudden.

Your brain would be like

- Searching memory bank for proper braking procedure

- Displaying available results : 1 of 1

- Apply full front and rear brakes ( Success rate 100% in a parking lot )

- Execute Yes/No?

- Yes

Just sayin

Thanks btw for liking my sig

Old August 1st, 2013, 02:12 AM   #90
Aufitt
The A Team

Name: Aufitt

Motorcycle(s): Z50, CB125, RZ500, MC22, R3.

I mean this with best intentions,

leave the camera at home for a few years,
it makes new riders 'ride to the camera'
Its distracting you and affecting getting experience.
Aufitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2013, 05:07 AM   #91
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Quote:

@Motofool
the last few seconds I think might qualify as the slowing down and cracking back open that you were looking for

That is a nice parking lot for taking corners at the end.

Old August 1st, 2013, 05:39 AM   #92
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:

Safe riding!
I don't consider myself a noob by any means and am probably more comfortable with hairy situations than the majority of riders and I LOVE parking lot practice. You get to work on things that you cant just straight out practice while out in the real world. The real world doesn't stop so you can work on your lean angle and body position on a highway off or on ramp. Nor can you check the ramp before hand to make sure there isn't anything sketchy about it. Sure you will not learn about traffic flow ect... in a parking lot but there is no reason you can practice mechanics of riding in a parking lot to get a feel for what you and the bike can do in a safer place.

I equate your advice and reasoning to giving a 16yr old a gun and saying, hey, here is the trigger, point and shoot, now get into battle, you'll learn along the way. Sure nothing can prepare you for battle but hell at least get them comfortable with what you can to try and limit variables and teach them skills that could potentially save their life if a certain situation arises.

An empty parking lot is about as close to a controlled environment you are going to find, but still always give it a good look over for loose gravel, road snakes ect...

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 1st, 2013, 05:51 AM   #93
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Your body position is wrong when you make the curve. You need to lean more. In the video, the camera was on your helmet and we could see that you stayed straight up in the curve. If you keep doing that, you'll start dragging a peg and may end up low siding.

Also, for safety reasons, you should never practice next to traffic like that. It looked like some sort of traffic jam on the other side. Traffic jams make people crazy and they do crazy things - like make U-turns in front of motorcycles.

If you low side in an inside curve and there are cars on the other side like that, it means that you are going to low side right under their tires. So watch your body position.

Old August 1st, 2013, 06:13 AM   #94
n4mwd

Saw your second video: EMPTY parking lots are usually a great place to practice, but again, you should stay away from any cars there. They have a tendency to back out in front of you unexpectedly.

You were cutting corners again in the lot. You need more practice. If there were cars in those spots, you would have hit them.

I noticed that you were also practicing braking. Proper braking will save your life some day. But you need to practice hard braking at faster speeds. The goal is to stop as quickly as possible without skidding or doing a stoppie. I suggest you start at slower speeds and then progressively practice to the higher speeds.

Old August 1st, 2013, 07:42 AM   #95
aeroblade
Doh!

@subxero

This is the kind of of traffic that where I learnt how to ride. Its actually a lot worse than this.

I'm not trying to be boastful or cocky but I have been commuting through such traffic since 1997 without a single accident on the road. I'm not good at racing, i'm not good at cornering, and hell i don't claim to be the best in anything but, I can say with quite the degree of confidence that what ever I said in the previous post works.

Besides I didn't say its wrong to practice in a parking lot, I just said its better to learn on the job that was just my two cents in this matter.

As for your gun example, Isn't that why they have simulated training? lol

Old August 1st, 2013, 08:09 AM   #96
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
@subxero

As for your gun example, Isn't that why they have simulated training? lol

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old August 1st, 2013, 08:15 AM   #97
aeroblade
Doh!

Quote:

Old August 1st, 2013, 08:33 AM   #98
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
^ I don't think you understand and an attempt to explain seems worthless

Old August 1st, 2013, 08:59 AM   #99
n4mwd

Speeding

Hey Green,

Its best not to exceed the posted limit when you are learning. There is usually a reason why a speed limit is what it is. Wait until your skills are honed before you start venturing beyond the limit. At least then you will have a better idea of when its safe go faster and when it isn't. Watch out for crap in the road like gravel, leaves and sand. They'll make you kiss the asphalt really quick.

I also noticed in your later videos that you are still cutting corners. You need to learn to stop doing that. You can expect a nasty surprise in your future if you don't.

Old August 1st, 2013, 09:44 AM   #100
aeroblade
Doh!

Quote:
^ I don't think you understand and an attempt to explain seems worthless
I perfectly understood what you meant and I do not agree with you 100%. I just gave in since I didn't want this escalating into an argument and then end up hijacking this poor dude's thread. I'd rather we help him the best way we can.

Peace!

Old August 1st, 2013, 09:58 AM   #101
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Video is kinda long, this one is just me riding back tword my house, at the end I do the golf course spiral turn successfully
Mitch,

The third video shows a much more calmed and controlled ride.

Please don't feel that any comment of mine are the ultimate advice or too negative; I am just trying a long-distance-couching, which is less than ideal.
I only wish the best and fastest improvement of your skills.
Judging by the number of miles you put under that machine yesterday, you are passionate about this, and I would love helping riders like you.

Here are my comments:
-Lid up: Unless you are wearing glasses or shades, keep it low (just cracked open for ventilation). Flying objects and insects can do real damage to your eyes, inducing a brief but dangerous lost of control. During a fall, a close lid is an important part of the protection.

-Coming to stop signs: It seems that you are pulling the clutch too soon to benefit from engine braking effect. I am not sure about the timing of your downshift (sorry, I had no audio where I was watching the vid from). Try to do a full stop, one foot down, look left, right, left again (LEOs' in Florida can ticket you for not doing that).

-Intersections: Those are the more dangerous spot for us. Riders roll stop signs, run red lights and make left turns just in front of us very frequently. You need to develop the habit of being extra situational alert when approaching these traps, checking what is following you (in case you have to hard-brake or swerve), slowing down a bit and covering all the controls. Wave the bike side to side for each time a left turner is waiting and get really ready to perform an evasive maneuver (they love surprising you at the last second).

Read all these when you have a chance:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124408

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127127

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120133

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124041

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121203

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134072

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124754

Now, I have to watch the video of the parking lot practice, more comments will follow soon after.

Old August 1st, 2013, 10:31 AM   #102
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Mitch,
Here are my comments:
-Lid up: Unless you are wearing glasses or shades, keep it low (just cracked open for ventilation). Flying objects and insects can do real damage to your eyes, inducing a brief but dangerous lost of control. During a fall, a close lid is an important part of the protection.

-Coming to stop signs: It seems that you are pulling the clutch too soon to benefit from engine braking effect. I am not sure about the timing of your downshift (sorry, I had no audio where I was watching the vid from). Try to do a full stop, one foot down, look left, right, left again (LEOs' in Florida can ticket you for not doing that).
Just to vouch for this and add something small

Yes bugs can be brutal, I took a large beetle to the visor yesterday at ~ 60mph and it was like being hit with a marble out of a sling shot, super glad I had my visor down

And for the stops obviously motofool had it spot on but I would like to add, get into the habit of always being in the correct gear at a stop before you completely stop and put your left foot down while the right foot stays on the peg and rear brake. This way if you do let off on the front brake the rear is still applied and your brake light is still visible to cars approaching from the rear, Plus it will help with steep hill starts.

Old August 1st, 2013, 10:41 AM   #103
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Your body position is wrong when you make the curve. You need to lean more. In the video, the camera was on your helmet and we could see that you stayed straight up in the curve. If you keep doing that, you'll start dragging a peg and may end up low siding.

Also, for safety reasons, you should never practice next to traffic like that. It looked like some sort of traffic jam on the other side. Traffic jams make people crazy and they do crazy things - like make U-turns in front of motorcycles.

If you low side in an inside curve and there are cars on the other side like that, it means that you are going to low side right under their tires. So watch your body position.
Uhm.... Pretty obvious you're talking about my first video with the right handers, I literally shifted to my left butt cheeck and put my knee out EVERY single time i went around.... and since then ive stopped, its not a good idea to lean off the bike when its not needed, I'm now taking corners slowly and fully attached to the bike, working on my line and such, I dont need to be going anywhere near fast enough to require me to be shifting off the bike.

Old August 1st, 2013, 10:44 AM   #104
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Saw your second video: EMPTY parking lots are usually a great place to practice, but again, you should stay away from any cars there. They have a tendency to back out in front of you unexpectedly.

You were cutting corners again in the lot. You need more practice. If there were cars in those spots, you would have hit them.

I noticed that you were also practicing braking. Proper braking will save your life some day. But you need to practice hard braking at faster speeds. The goal is to stop as quickly as possible without skidding or doing a stoppie. I suggest you start at slower speeds and then progressively practice to the higher speeds.
Both parking lots were empty aside from parked cars seeing as it was a school, both lots I got permission to film slow speed riding practice before I began from security. I dont think a single teacher/coach came out to their car during either practice... and i also didnt consider hitting the spots as cutting corners because I wasnt practicing for actually being in a busy parkinglot, just my ability to stop quickly and slow speed turns ect.

Old August 1st, 2013, 10:51 AM   #105
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Mitch,

The third video shows a much more calmed and controlled ride.

Please don't feel that any comment of mine are the ultimate advice or too negative; I am just trying a long-distance-couching, which is less than ideal.
I only wish the best and fastest improvement of your skills.
Judging by the number of miles you put under that machine yesterday, you are passionate about this, and I would love helping riders like you.

Here are my comments:

-Intersections: Those are the more dangerous spot for us. Riders roll stop signs, run red lights and make left turns just in front of us very frequently. You need to develop the habit of being extra situational alert when approaching these traps, checking what is following you (in case you have to hard-brake or swerve), slowing down a bit and covering all the controls. Wave the bike side to side for each time a left turner is waiting and get really ready to perform an evasive maneuver (they love surprising you at the last second).

Read all these when you have a chance:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124408

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=127127

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120133

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124041

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=121203

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=134072

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=124754

Now, I have to watch the video of the parking lot practice, more comments will follow soon after.
Thanks! I am very passionate about this, I LOVE riding, I should hit 15k today Got my licence+bike @ exactly 14,009 so 1k miles and yup! sun glasses on during the day always, Its sunny and hot and bright every day where i live in cali and the sun and glare from cars blinds me sometimes so i always wear shades I also do try my hardest to keep track of the dude behind me, my biggest fear is getting rear ended while stopped, I flash my brake light like 10 times and watch my mirror like a hawk every time I stop ready to take off. I even look back at the car as it approaches me to stop sometimes, that stuffs scary, its not a casual fender bender when im on a bike, that **** would HURT!

As for the clutching when I stop... maybe... I drove a stick car for years and i pull it in when i fear the bike would stall out of speed/rpms (but that just means I should downshift again I suppose....)

Old August 1st, 2013, 10:54 AM   #106
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Talking

Quote:
Just to vouch for this and add something small

Yes bugs can be brutal, I took a large beetle to the visor yesterday at ~ 60mph and it was like being hit with a marble out of a sling shot, super glad I had my visor down

And for the stops obviously motofool had it spot on but I would like to add, get into the habit of always being in the correct gear at a stop before you completely stop and put your left foot down while the right foot stays on the peg and rear brake. This way if you do let off on the front brake the rear is still applied and your brake light is still visible to cars approaching from the rear, Plus it will help with steep hill starts.
That is exactly how I stop unless i go into neutral or think the light has a bit of time left on it and im on flat ground.

Old August 1st, 2013, 10:59 AM   #107
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
That is exactly how I stop unless i go into neutral or think the light has a bit of time left on it and im on flat ground.
Cross threading here. I would advise always staying in first at a stop. That way, should the unthinkable happen behind you, you don't have to shift to get into gear and move.

Quote:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_hate_these_mirrors

When they are more important, while stopped in traffic, angle your bike in such a way that one mirror gives you a perfect view of cars approaching to you.
The bonus of this is that your bike is already pointed toward the side of the car stopped in front of you, which will become your escape route if needed.

Try it even if you are the first in line; you don't want to jump into crossing traffic.
This rider didn't give himself a route to escape:

Old August 1st, 2013, 11:07 AM   #108
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Talking

Quote:
Hey Green,

Its best not to exceed the posted limit when you are learning. There is usually a reason why a speed limit is what it is. Wait until your skills are honed before you start venturing beyond the limit. At least then you will have a better idea of when its safe go faster and when it isn't. Watch out for crap in the road like gravel, leaves and sand. They'll make you kiss the asphalt really quick.

I also noticed in your later videos that you are still cutting corners. You need to learn to stop doing that. You can expect a nasty surprise in your future if you don't.
Thanks! I learned that the hard way when I was 15 on my moped I rode around for a few months, I lowsided in gravel on it Always watch for crap in the road!

Old August 1st, 2013, 11:08 AM   #109
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Cross threading here. I would advise always staying in first at a stop. That way, should the unthinkable happen behind you, you don't have to shift to get into gear and move.
Wow great point and picture, I never even thought about the fact that HE could get rear ended! Holy crap. A lot of the time I dont actually sit where I can be effected because I'm in cali I can just split between for safety.

Old August 1st, 2013, 11:21 AM   #110
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Wow great point and picture, I never even thought about the fact that HE could get rear ended! Holy crap. A lot of the time I dont actually sit where I can be effected because I'm in cali I can just split between for safety.
Which is one of the arguments for splitting - avoids situations like that.

Old August 1st, 2013, 04:39 PM   #111
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
Thanks!...........I also do try my hardest to keep track of the dude behind me, my biggest fear is getting rear ended while stopped..........
You are welcome

According to this statistics, you should fear what waits for you at intersections three times more:

Slowing down, covering the controls while approaching, scanning widely and practicing evasive maneuvers frequently is all we can do about intersections and blind alleys.

I have been trying to watch your forth video for a while to not available.
Have you removed or something?

Old August 1st, 2013, 06:26 PM   #112
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:

@Motofool
OK, I could finally watch the parking lot practice (vid #4).
Here are my comments:

-Were you starting in second gear? I don't recommend developing that habit (you need torque to move quickly out of a situation from standing still). However, if you like doing so, let the engine rev some more (and the clutch slip longer) while picking up speed.

-A populated parking lot is more dangerous than the street. Try finding one that is completely empty and traffic-free, so you can fully concentrate in the exercises.

-You were doing the emergency braking correctly, looking forward and keeping balance all the way until full stop. Next, we need to start measuring your performance, braking harder (on straight line) and stopping shorter. For that, you need to find or create some marks on the pavement that allows you to compare the distances that full stops take. Tennis balls cut in half make great pavement markers. You need a solid mark (meaning reaction point), which you will pass consistently at 15 mph, and a way to measure distance traveled from there. The pavement for that trajectory should be clean and free of sand and white marks. Wait stopping on turns until you have mastered straight lines.
This article explains it better than I can:
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=194&Set=

-Pointing the camera a couple of degrees lower will help us see the hand movements better.

-The accelerations after slow-downs were flawless.

Old August 1st, 2013, 06:49 PM   #113
greenmachine
ninjette.org member

Quote:
OK, I could finally watch the parking lot practice (vid #4).
Here are my comments:

-Were you starting in second gear? I don't recommend developing that habit (you need torque to move quickly out of a situation from standing still). However, if you like doing so, let the engine rev some more (and the clutch slip longer) while picking up speed.

-A populated parking lot is more dangerous than the street. Try finding one that is completely empty and traffic-free, so you can fully concentrate in the exercises.

-You were doing the emergency braking correctly, looking forward and keeping balance all the way until full stop. Next, we need to start measuring your performance, braking harder (on straight line) and stopping shorter. For that, you need to find or create some marks on the pavement that allows you to compare the distances that full stops take. Tennis balls cut in half make great pavement markers. You need a solid mark (meaning reaction point), which you will pass consistently at 15 mph, and a way to measure distance traveled from there. The pavement for that trajectory should be clean and free of sand and white marks. Wait stopping on turns until you have mastered straight lines.

-Pointing the camera a couple of degrees lower will help us see the hand movements better.

-The accelerations after slow-downs were flawless.
Nope! I never start in second gear I love launching and shifting too much to deprive myself of 1st-2nd :P I just shifted ASAP then cruised to 15-20 and stopped.

As I stated earlier, these parking lots were occupied by teachers at work's cars. I asked security guards at both schools if it would be safe/okay if I did what I was doing and got the okay.

And Ill see what I can do about markings or something....

The camera angle is a real pain to set right, Ill try going down just a tad farther.

And good! I was hoping I shot something along the lines of what you wanted for slow/speed up.

Old August 1st, 2013, 07:14 PM   #114
7oxSin
MSF Coach!

Name: Lupe

Motorcycle(s): 2003 ninja 250

Quote:
Nope! I never start in second gear I love launching and shifting too much to deprive myself of 1st-2nd :P I just shifted ASAP then cruised to 15-20 and stopped.

As I stated earlier, these parking lots were occupied by teachers at work's cars. I asked security guards at both schools if it would be safe/okay if I did what I was doing and got the okay.

And Ill see what I can do about markings or something....

The camera angle is a real pain to set right, Ill try going down just a tad farther.

And good! I was hoping I shot something along the lines of what you wanted for slow/speed up.
im coming in late in the game, idk if someone has asked or if you said it. have you took the advanced msf course yet? if not it answers alot of these questions you have and teaches you most of these things your trying to learn. and it also reduces your insurance costs.

Old August 1st, 2013, 07:45 PM   #115
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

I'll be honest I didn't read the whole thread. Hernan is going t give you some great advice and tips but it seems like if you went to a class like somebody else suggested you'd get a lot out of it. Plus you can write a report after so we can hear if it was good or not.

Seriously though, while there is a lot of amazing advice in this thread there is also some pretty questionable advice.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 1st, 2013, 08:50 PM   #116
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
........And good! I was hoping I shot something along the lines of what you wanted for slow/speed up.
Good point, Panda

Mitch,

Please see these links:
http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=213&Set=

http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=194&Set=

You can skip the first part, although is good practice.
I want you to focus on efficient braking.

That is a way to stop that is faster and safer than what you have done so far.

The reason I insist on this braking thing is the following:
Anybody can brake more or less decently in normal conditions.
The problem is that normal conditions will become emergency conditions sooner or later, when you less expect it.
A look at the crash forum proves that.

When that happen, inexperienced riders consistently grab too much brake too soon, inducing a fall, much more is the bike is turning or leaning some.
The reason is a panic reaction, which is very different to the smooth and controlled way in which you are doing it now.

Don't try anything radical during the first practice sessions, rather work on clamping your legs on the tank, keeping your butt aft on the seat, your arms relaxed and your vision at front and far ahead, while trying to keep the balance all the way up to a full stop, ..........then foot down.

Now the fine print: You need to educate your hand (and foot if you want to use both brakes) to modulate the pressure with maximum finesse.
First you apply only enough pressure to induce a transfer of weight toward the front tire.
Once the nose of the bike is pitching down, you can apply more force to the front lever until the bike stops.
The rear pedal works the opposite: more pressure first and lees after the pitch down.

The purpose of repetitive practice is to replace a gross panic reaction by those fine inputs, even when you are scared.
That is the reason of practicing this at least once a week.

An unloaded front patch (like before the weight transfer happens) has limited braking capability, so it is easy to lock the wheel up with too much lever pressure too soon.
A loaded front patch can brake a lot; hence, the reason to wait one second for the weight transfer to happen.

Keep doing what you are doing with the clutch and downshifting, that is not too important now.
Producing a smooth weight transfer and keeping the bike perfectly balanced is.

Don't overdo that, we are not talking about reducing stopping distance yet, we are going over each step of the process first.
Get familiar with those steps and associated feelings.

I don't think that it will happen yet, but if the bike goes out of balance or if the front tire skid, immediately remove the pressure form the front brake lever.
If the rear tire locks up and skid, try keeping it locked as far as the balance allows you to.

Sorry for over-whelming you, please, let us know the pace that is comfortable to you.

Last futzed with by Motofool; August 3rd, 2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Added links for practice

Old August 2nd, 2013, 06:02 AM   #117
n4mwd

Improper braking

Here is a video of what can happen when the rear skids. He locked the rears when the car in front of him tapped his brakes and then let go of the rears only to get flung off the bike.

For newbies, the best way out of this situation is to ride the locked rears to a stop and is what the MSF recommends. If you let off the rear, what happened in the video can happen to you too. As long as the front doesn't lock up too, you should be able to keep it upright until you stop.

Better yet is to not lock the rears in the first place.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 08:47 AM   #118
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

He locked the front in that video. You can tell by the way the bike dives, and the front wheel jerks to the right when it starts skidding, before the bike slams down on the left.

If he had locked the rear, the front wouldn't have changed direction, and the rear would have swung around before the bike slams down.

That said, your advice on what to do if the rear ends up locked is on point.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2013, 11:57 AM   #119
n4mwd

After I looked at it again, it does kinda look like it could have been the front and not the rear. I didn't see anything that looked like a front dive though. The front did swing right, but that was after he high-sided. At the same time, a rear lockup should have produced more rear fishtailing which wasn't present.

A front lock can be corrected simply by letting go (unlike the rear). So if it was the front, he didn't let go or there was some mechanical failure that was causing the lockup. It could also be that there was some slippery substance (wet grease, leaves, etc.) on the road that the camera didn't pick up.

Another thing I noticed is that he had a good bit of space between him and the guy in front. That kindof argues against a panic stop and leans more toward mechanical failure.

On the Ninja 250, I have never heard of a front lockup due to a mechanical failure. The closest I've seen is when people put too big of tires on the front that hit the fender causing it to jam. But that really isn't the bike's fault. The rear is a different story because the master links (the clip kind) sometimes come undone resulting in the chain jamming the rear tire (which is why you should always use rivet master links, but that's another story).

I wanted to post a link to jiggle's video of his February crash. That was a good clear example of a rear lockup. But I couldn't find it. In that video, he locked the rear and fishtailed into the back of a camry.

Old August 2nd, 2013, 12:01 PM   #120
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think you're right about the mechanical failure. Watch his arms/hands; they dive as if the handlebars are going down at the beginning of the incident. It's as if it was an instant full lock on the front brake / front tire. But the brake light hasn't come on yet. The brake light only comes on after that event, when he's trying to slow down, and the bike is already out of shape.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote