ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:22 AM   #1
zach
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 650R, 2009 250R

wrecked

Well, I know I haven't been on much lately, been waiting for it to warm up a bit. Finally started warming up and I had my first and last ride of the warming weather on Wednesday.

I was driving on a six lane highway in the outside lane (right hand lane). Was approaching an auto shop on the right hand side of the road at which time a Corvette, which had no one in it and was on jacks, fell off of the jacks and rolled backwards into the highway. I attempted to swerve to the middle lane but there was a large truck there. I straightened out and attempted to brake, but struck the right rear quarter panel of the Corvette, which then pushed me into the side of the truck, at which time I fell underneath the truck which ran over my thighs. Been in the hospital three days now and probably will be here at least two more. Hopefully no permanent damage, but doc says probably about six weeks til I'm back to normal. Luckily, I had God and a helmet on my side or I probably would have been a goner. Make sure you guys wear your gear and be safe, this definitely doesn't feel good. Never know what might come out of nowhere and hit you.

Take care guys. If I can ever get on another 250 again I'll be back here.

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/news/mot...ach-photo.html
zach is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:27 AM   #2
ninjabrewer
dirty old man

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): Blue '08 Ninja 250

HOLY COW, dude, glad to hear that you lived though that with no permanent injuries. That really sucks. I hope and pray that everything will be ok with you in the future, and just because you don't have a 250 doesn't mean you can't stay on the forum, so stick around.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:31 AM   #3
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

Good thing you are ok, hope you feel better soon.

Wow, that is crappy! Taken out by a loose vette.
I hope someone's insurance is taking care of this.

If you don't mind, how fast were you traveling, before starting to break?
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:38 AM   #4
zach
ninjette.org member

They estimated I was going 25 upon impact. I know I wasn't going above 35, so somewhere between 30 and 35. I didn't have much time to brake at all. I tried to swerve knowing I didn't have enough braking space, but that didn't work out.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 11:47 AM   #5
kkim

Glad to see you made it out of that one, though your leg injuries don't sound minor by any stretch of the imagination.

Please stick around and let us know how you progress.

Best of luck for a speedy and full recovery.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:14 PM   #6
Greg_E
ninjette.org sage

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 90 Suzuki gsx600f Katana, 03 Buell XB9R

SO... WHat law firm are you going to contact? I'd want to be certain that either the shop of the truck covered my medical bills for all eternity. Not really the trucks fault, but they probably have better insurance. I would certainly contact one of the local shiesters, most of them don't charge unless you get paid so it's little risk to you. I'd pick out a nice NEW bike for them to buy you too!
Greg_E is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:21 PM   #7
lockie
ninjette.org sage

Name: don

Motorcycle(s): 2009 blue ninja 250R

WOW So glad you made it through this. take it easy on the legs and let them recover. Time is on your side.

It's another reminder to take care out there and wear the gear.
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:24 PM   #8
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_E View Post
SO... WHat law firm are you going to contact? I'd want to be certain that either the shop of the truck covered my medical bills for all eternity. Not really the trucks fault, but they probably have better insurance. I would certainly contact one of the local shiesters, most of them don't charge unless you get paid so it's little risk to you. I'd pick out a nice NEW bike for them to buy you too!
I pick the best lawyer in the area. Interview a few, get the BEST.

Good to hear you're OK (or should I say in one piece). Don't forget to stay medicated.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:25 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

That's a weird one! Seems like it could have been so much worse as well, very happy you're going to come through this OK!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:47 PM   #10
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Not to be critical but, I'd rather go over the car (Corvette's aren't that high) than under the truck.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 12:52 PM   #11
edbro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

Doesn't seem like it was the truck's fault that he ran over you. The autoshop should be the one you go after.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:25 PM   #12
jcgirl
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jenn

Motorcycle(s): Bot

WOW.. I'm so glad that your still around to be posting. I'm sending you some serious healing vibes. Please keep us posted on how this develops. Wish you all the best.
jcgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 01:58 PM   #13
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

Damn Man. Get well soon and keep us updated.
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 02:30 PM   #14
zach
ninjette.org member

Already have a lawyer, who has already had the ball rolling since about two hours after I got hit. The owner of the shop was negligent in, not placing blocks behind the corvette, and leaving it unattended while running on jacks. The truck driver has called me several times in the hospital and is very worried, but I keep telling him it wasn't his fault. And I understand you would rather go over the corvette, but in the split second, I tried to swerve around it and hit the end of it which threw me into the air and into the truck and then under it, wasn't much I could do about it. My girlfriend went to the area a couple of hours ago and tried to find any possible security camera footage but ended up talking to several witnesses. Learned a few more things. 1. I flew about fifteen feet before hitting the truck and getting ran over. 2. After the truck ran me over I got up and tried to get out of the road, at which time I just collapsed, which explains why I was near the curb when I came to. And 3. Several witnesses said there was a car behind me with an infant in the backseat and are 100 percent believers that if it wasn't me, it would have been the infant. I'll take it.

Thanks for the kind words guys, it means a lot. I really hope this isn't the end of my riding career, but I gotta say, it will probably be the beginning of a long break haha.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 03:22 PM   #15
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Wow that is quite an accident. Glad to hear you are ok and had all your gear on. I hope you heal quickly. Take care.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 03:41 PM   #16
HKr1
IC2(SW)

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): .

Your K-9 crestucky cop?

Holy crap! A vette just rolling out into the street..........
Glad to hear your doing good from that, hope you get better/out soon.
HKr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:35 PM   #17
JeffM
Mr. 988

Motorcycle(s): One

Wow. Get well and keep all of us posted on your progress. Just wow!

Jeff
JeffM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:42 PM   #18
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Goddamm, Zach! I read the story in the paper but didn't know it was you. Hope you get better soon.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 04:53 PM   #19
zach
ninjette.org member

Yep, unfortunately. Be careful around here man haha.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:00 PM   #20
dive1tom
ninjette.org member

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Zach glad your ok, Now hows the bike?

Being In Florida wearing a helmet? You are a smart guy! Is there anytime you dont put in on. If it wasn't the law in Tennessee I might be tempted.
dive1tom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM   #21
BlueRaven

Name: Lil One

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 Black

Amazing to hear you made it through that experience. I hope you heal well and like cc said stay medicated.

I hope you will get the guts to get back in that saddle sometime in the future but til then take it easy.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:27 PM   #22
littledog
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Special Edition Ninja 250 a good memory, 2011 Suzuki DL 650 the new ride

Thank God you survived that. Get well.
littledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2010, 06:37 PM   #23
noche_caliente

Name: Kim

Motorcycle(s): '08 250

My goodness Zach - sounds like the big Guy really was on your side! I'm so sorry this happened! Please keep us updated on your progress.

Old April 4th, 2010, 01:41 AM   #24
cnichols79us
Fastly Slow!!!

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX250, 1980 Honda XL125

The more I think about this the more I have a hard time with it. REALLY glad you made it out Brother. Heal up.
cnichols79us is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2010, 05:27 AM   #25
ScraitT
Green!

Name: Tyler

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250R, 04 Honda CRF230F, 94 Honda XR80R

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
Several witnesses said there was a car behind me with an infant in the backseat and are 100 percent believers that if it wasn't me, it would have been the infant. I'll take it. .
Horrible accident, but it's nice to see that there are still people out there that care more about others then themselves.

Rest and heal fast.

Old April 4th, 2010, 05:51 AM   #26
chokne
I name everything

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Eva

That's really unfortunate Zach, glad to hear you're still among us!

*sending you my healing powers*

Old April 4th, 2010, 05:55 AM   #27
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

Absolutely crazy... I'm glad that your still here and with us. Heal up quick and...

I hope you sue the living CRAP out of that auto body shop and trucker.

How ever... could you elaborate how the car rolled off the blocks and into the street? How long did it roll? Was it on a corner of a street? Was the car visually blocked by an advertisement street sign? What colour was the car? Where you distracted moments before noticing the car rolling into the street? What was the truck driver doing? Did you pass the truck driver on the right side before the accident?

Without some other chain of events/distractions... How does a car can roll off blocks, out of a drive way and into traffic without you or the trucker noticing and stopping completely.

One thing I'm really beginning to realize is... accidents don't usually happen because one thing goes wrong. It's usually a chain of events that lead up to an accident. If your feeling up to it.. could you post some more details leading up to the incident?
2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2010, 06:01 AM   #28
carpediem
ninjette.org member

Name: Tracy

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2010, My other rides: Cervelo P2C '08, Kestrel Talon SL '04

That's just crazy! You definitely are lucky your injuries were not worse. Take care.
carpediem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2010, 08:19 AM   #29
zach
ninjette.org member

Hey guys it's Easter Sunday, been in the hospital still since Wednesday. I'm able to walk on my own but cannot bend my legs very far. Doctors are keeping me here due to the toxins released from the muscles during a crushing trauma. The normal cell count of these toxins I was told are around 100 or less in a healthy person, mine were around 1600 as of yesterday. If the toxins continue to stay in my body and I don't have the constant IV flow and don't urinate enough I could have kidney failure. I was told once the toxins begin to decrease I can go ahead and go home and begin physical therapy. Kidneys are holding up nicely so they are definitely trying, so that's good news. Alright on to try to give more details reference Binlagen's post:

"How ever... could you elaborate how the car rolled off the blocks and into the street? How long did it roll? Was it on a corner of a street? Was the car visually blocked by an advertisement street sign? What colour was the car? Where you distracted moments before noticing the car rolling into the street? What was the truck driver doing? Did you pass the truck driver on the right side before the accident?"

It's unknown exactly how the Corvette fell off of the jacks. The owner of the shop was working on the Corvette and did not place blocks behind the rear wheels and walked away from the Corvette for less than a minute during which time it somehow fell off of the jacks and rolled back into the highway where I hit it. It rolled I would have to guess about forty feet. It was not a corner or behind anything and it was like a gold or tan color from what I can remember. I wasn't distracted, in fact I saw the Corvette as I was approaching the shop which was on my right hand side. I was told the older Corvette models had a problem with popping themselves into gear. It's believed when the Corvette fell off of the jacks it popped into reverse. I'm telling you now, I saw the corvette parked, and I saw the Corvette as it came out into traffic. It was moving, not rolling. I didn't have time to stop. I attempted to swerve to the left but didn't have time and that's when I ran into the right rear quarter panel of the Corvette. The driver of the truck was in the center lane, to the left of me. When I hit the Corvette, I got sent flying into the truck which I then fell under, getting my thigh ran over. The truck driver was not at fault. There was nothing he or I could do to avoid it. The way this would have been avoided would have been better care from the shop owner, instead of pure negligence. I apparently blacked out after the impact for approximately thirty seconds. I was told yesterday by witnesses that after the truck ran over my leg, I stood up and attempted to run out of the street but collapsed, which explains why I was closer to the curb when I came to, even though I knew I got hit at the line between the right hand lane and center lane.

Thanks again for all the kind words and your prayers are appreciated. This is the longest I've been stuck in a bed or inside anywhere and I'm starting to go stir crazy haha. I'll be around. Be safe folks.

Old April 4th, 2010, 08:25 AM   #30
austexjg
ninjette.org sage

Name: J.G.

Motorcycle(s): '09 zx6r Green/Black, (ex-)Diablo Black '09 Ninja 250r

Hope you heal to a 100%...
austexjg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2010, 12:34 PM   #31
binlagin
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2005 CBR600RR

Thanks for the reply. Maybe i was a little over zealous about the suing the truck driver. Sounds like he's getting a crappy end of the stick too. Glad had your gear on and that your walking under your own power (although painfully).

Keep us posted on you and your bikes recovery. Stay positive and heal up!
2005 CBR600RR - 2:19 Calabogie Motorsports Park, Ontario, Canada
binlagin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 7th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #32
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

Zach;
I saw the photos of the accident scene- this is the scenario that most of us experienced riders fear the most, the objective danger that's totally out of your control. I hope you are doing much better every day.

I was impressed by your comment about the person behind you with the baby in the car seat. It's heartening to me that there are still young people with your character who are interested in serving their community, and I'm proud that you are a member of Ninjette.org.

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:38 PM   #33
zach
ninjette.org member

Hey everyone, it's been a while. Came back to ask a question about the wife's 250 and saw this thread and realized I never gave a conclusion. Still have trouble with my right thigh any time I run or use it a lot the muscle tenses up, guess I'm dealing with that forever now haha. Other than that forever pain in the butt the rest of me pretty much healed up. The truck driver wasn't at any fault, which I didn't expect him to be. He was a very nice guy and I spoke with him a few times after everything, can't blame him for anything. Sued the shop. Settled out of court. Bought a brand new 650 in 2011 to replace ol Stella.

Lets go riding.

Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:08 PM   #34
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Glad you are ok. This was a freaky ass accident for sure

Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:35 PM   #35
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
First off crazy story

Second glad your ok for the most part and back on a bike

Third when the hell are you noobs going to learn how to just do this in said situation

Link to original page on YouTube.

rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:29 PM   #36
koma22
ninjette.org member

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Thanks for the update.

Glad to hear you're doing well!
koma22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:57 PM   #37
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Wow...really happy to hear you are doing better and still riding.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 12:36 PM   #38
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Going under a truck. This has become my 2nd greatest fear.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 12:40 PM   #39
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

My greatest fear is being beaten and left for dead in a Brazilian brothel.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 24th, 2013, 01:07 PM   #40
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Before or after?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote