ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old February 5th, 2015, 05:17 PM   #81
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Name: harry

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250, 2004 Buell XB12s, Honda 110 Elite

new brake stuff

Got my brake lines and "new" master cylinder in today. Earlier I should bave said "remote" cylinder instead of radial. Anyways, the cylinder assembly is beautiful, in excellent condition.

The line kit caused me some confusion in that it didn't come with but one caliper banjo bolt, but it had the correct double banjo bolt for the master cylinder. The calipers have a funky hose setup that does not use banjo bolts. It may be an AN setup, but you can't read the markings, doesn't matter, they are going away. The calipers need 10 x 1.0 banjo bolts. I used the lead given by Ninjunk, and went to "Tubes n Hoses" and got a pair of stainless banjos with washers.

I won't have time to actually work on the bike until Saturday, but I did check to make sure the hoses are long enough, etc. They will fit fine. The hoses had a DOT approval and are very well made. Pics of the stock hose and the new goodies. Yeah the fender is horrible, but that will get fixed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brakes.jpg (8.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg old brakeline.jpg (11.2 KB, 77 views)

Old February 7th, 2015, 04:35 PM   #82
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Talking Today

I installed the new brake lines and master cylinder. Made a mount for the brake fluid cup. The double lines going directly to the master cylinder freed up a mount point, so I mounted the horn. Drilled and tapped the bars for my bar end mirrors, installed the mirrors, removed the stock mirrors and reinstalled the blank off plates. Polished the bars while I had them off. Sand blasted and painted the clip on mounts. Re-torqued everything.

Did a down n dirty repaint on the front fender. I plan on having it repainted professionally at some point. Shock install will be next, but I'm gonna ride it some first. Went on a 40 mile jaunt this afternoon. It is running sweet. I knew it would spend a long time sitting, so I had the tank full of non-ethanol gas.

Going for a ride tomorrow with some friends, riding up to Inverness/Spring Lake, gonna run Istachatta. Hope to get some decent pix.

Old February 9th, 2015, 11:30 AM   #83
ninjunk
Lostcause enthusiast

Name: Graham

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX250F

ha yeah i was going to ask what a 'radial master cylinder' was but i didn't want to sound like a dumdum.
ninjunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2015, 08:01 AM   #84
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Winding down

All done except the shock. I'll ride it some more before I do the shock. Pics from yesterday at a park. Bar end mirrors mounted. Everything is working great. Every where I go, people think it's a 600. When I tell them what has been done, they say it looks OEM. I think it worked out good. Maybe a carbon Corbin seat?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red at park.jpg (11.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg mirrors at park.jpg (11.3 KB, 65 views)

Old February 20th, 2015, 09:59 PM   #85
propilot
ninjette.org member

Name: keV

Motorcycle(s): 04 ex250

When I read threads like this, I realize how lame I am at mechanics

Great looking bike tho. Mine could definitely use those 17" wheels. In another life maybe..
propilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 21st, 2015, 11:29 PM   #86
jenkem
ninjette.org member

Name: really

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja 250

I just binge read this whole thread. Awesome stuff man I love what you've done, I just wish the pictures were bigger lol.
jenkem is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 23rd, 2015, 03:13 AM   #87
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Florida weather. Yesterday morning, it was 65 degrees, with an expected high near 80. So, I went for a ride. Ran into some friends that were out riding also.

Two 600 ninja, and an R6. We don't have miles and miles of twisties like some places do, but if you know where to go you can spend the morning having fun.

The tires have a couple of heat cycles on them, so this time I rode it hard. It is like learning a new bike all over again. Turn-in is MASSIVELY better, and it holds the line dead neutral. My old turn in points put me in WAY too early.

My old braking points are WAY off also, but not just because of the much better braking, it is partly because my corner speed is up because of the better front end feel, and way better tire.

I am to the point where the lack of rebound control, and light spring on the stock shock is very noticeable in fast curves with bumps, and high speed straight line dips. My boots were dragging in some corners, and I think it's from the light rear spring and the higher speeds, so on the table she goes for a shock-ectomy. I had been putting it off partly because of the mods needed to make it fit, but I think it will be worth it.

On a slightly different note, more farklish, I changed my windscreen. My stock one had a crack, and I found one on E-bay that was 2 inches taller. I can tuck better behind it, and actually gained some mph. The saga continues.

Old February 26th, 2015, 12:28 PM   #88
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

shock swap is very easy for you.
I got my all balls kit and mounted the zx forks and triple fit fine.

Old March 3rd, 2015, 03:36 AM   #89
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Wink

Changed windscreens, new one is 2" taller than stock. Also shaved off the grab bar behind the seat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg red3116.jpg (190.7 KB, 7 views)

Old March 3rd, 2015, 04:57 AM   #90
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Congrats Harry, your bike looks not only better than new - it looks gorgeous
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 3rd, 2015, 05:07 AM   #91
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Thank You, Roland.

Old March 3rd, 2015, 05:09 AM   #92
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
shock swap is very easy for you.
I got my all balls kit and mounted the zx forks and triple fit fine.
Pics, or it didn't happen.

Old March 22nd, 2015, 01:56 AM   #93
fast1075
ninjette.org guru

Update

Have some more miles on it. Rode it to Daytona for the 200. I have the shock on it now, but no pix of that part, pretty much went in with some mods to clear the airbox and fender.

Kawi and Suzuki went together to build a couple of dirt bikes, some cross-sourcing on the 250 from the start would have been great.

I couldn't be happier with the way it works for spirited street riding.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.