ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old February 17th, 2013, 06:37 PM   #1
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 09 250R

Had my 250R for three days...low sided :(

Well, **** me. I purchased my 09 250R on valentines day; 17k on the odometer, and a perfect body. I have never operated a motorcycle before and I rode it the day I got it (for a minute or so, just to move it into my garage and try it), rode it on Saturday for a bit, and rode it today.

Today was short lived, because I took at a turn and ended up low-siding. I don't really know what happened to be honest. The turn was a left hander, with an uneven/slanted entry (going up hill, and the street I was turning on was level so there was a weird incline to it). I was not going too fast or anything but all I know is, I was turning and straightened up way too early; heading straight towards the curb. I guess I panicked and either tried to counter steer or hit the front brake but I ended up low siding and the bike spun 180 degrees. Luckily I only have a scrape on both hands and my left knee, a tear in my jeans, and jacket, and a scrape on my brand new helmet My left wrist is pretty frickin sore though; it hurts to rotate my hand (pronate/supinate). I am kind of afraid of riding...I had to walk back home to my car to pick up some coolant since I lost a bit and the bike wouldnt start but I got it started and rode it back home. Each turn was terrifying...

My bike however, no long has a perfect body Which was the main reason that I purchased it. Had I known I was going to drop my bike I would have saved a couple hundred and purchased a bike with the same damage, and a 1/4 of the miles Not to mention my new helmet also has a battle scar I really need to hurry up and buy a real jacket, and possibly some riding pants.

Anyways, pictures

Gear lever is bent, but still works

Turn signal is gone, which isnt a big deal since that was the first thing I was going to change

My clutch lever is really flimsy feeling...the brake lever has a little bit of vertical play but the clutch lever is even flimsier...any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Even my shoes got some rash

SwagenGTI is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #2
StephenA
Riding Ruby..

Name: Stephen

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Yamaha Bolt R-Spec, 2007 Ninja 250R

woah glad you're ok man.

Old February 17th, 2013, 06:55 PM   #3
outasight20
ninjette.org member

Name: Weezy

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Yamaha FZ6

Did you take the MSF course? Sounds like you got a little too excited about your new bike and forgot the small detail that you don't know how to ride a motorcycle. Glad it didn't end up worse. Next time, start with an older, crappier bike. Then when you crash it there won't be as many in your posts.
outasight20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #4
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Name: Sarah

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2005 Ninja 250 - Available for free mustache rides.

Sorry, dude. Have you taken the msf? What did you learn from your crash?

Old February 17th, 2013, 07:20 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to the site, Jon !!!

You have made an impressive introduction.

We cannot help you fix your bike here, but we certainly can help you improve your riding skills and your chances of enjoying motorcycling without getting hurt.

I am glad that this accident happened at low speed and that you did not get really hurt.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 07:25 PM   #6
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

I dont have my license yet; I was just out learning. I was planning on taking the msf, and was kind of thinking maybe I can just skip out on it, but now I am sure as hell taking it. Unfortunately the first one wont be until late March

Kind of hard to say what I have learned because I dont know anything but I definitely feel like counter steering is throwing me off; I think I need to stop thinking about it so hard and sort of let my body react to it because when I think about it (in this case where I am heading straight for the curb) I make mistakes. Correct me if I am wrong, but counter steering needs to be done quickly right? Even the smallest pushes will start to lean you over but the speed of the push determines how quick you turn correct? I think maybe I tried to correct for the turn (by pushing left, to go left) but pushed too slowly so I didnt actually start leaning? I dont know

Old February 17th, 2013, 07:38 PM   #7
rickthefix
Crashing sux

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 07 EX250, 04 ZX6R, 96 Vulcan EN500, 79 XS650-SF, 80 TS185

I just finished graduating a full class of 12 today in a MSF BRC, they now have the tools to practice on their safe riding techniques. Please don't "think about" taking it, may save your life some day!
You should also invest in & wear full gear while riding.
Just sayin' !
rickthefix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 07:53 PM   #8
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

I am defnitely taking it, I just wish it was sooner. I think I might buy my jacket tonight, maybe gloves as well. I wasnt planning on getting pants but now with my torn up jeans I think I should :/

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:01 PM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Don't rush on anything, you have time to research and shop around and repair the damage and heal that wrist.

Check this link:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Riders

Do you have any experienced friend that could help you learning the basics?

Maybe taking the MSF basic course somewhere else where there are openings available for a sooner time?

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:17 PM   #10
rickthefix
Crashing sux

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 07 EX250, 04 ZX6R, 96 Vulcan EN500, 79 XS650-SF, 80 TS185

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwagenGTI View Post
I am defnitely taking it, I just wish it was sooner. I think I might buy my jacket tonight, maybe gloves as well. I wasnt planning on getting pants but now with my torn up jeans I think I should :/
Also get some real riding boots
rickthefix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #11
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

I would like to get some boots, or at least riding shoes (that offer some protection). The thing is, I would like to ride as often as I can (ie commuting) but standard riding boots are a pain. Is there anything out there that offers protection and is still use able when not riding?

Old February 17th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #12
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=102129

Old February 17th, 2013, 09:33 PM   #13
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
good luck and heal quick. Repairs and gear! No cracks? Sand and paint that and some flush mounts and roll on.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #14
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

There are cracks. Not worried about the fairings really, I can paint everything my self, buy new ones if I must but I figure I will just wait until I get really comfortable with riding and then fix them, rather than fix them up, drop the bike again and have to do it all over :/

Old February 17th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #15
bfpower
ninjette.org mafioso

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Quote:
I would like to get some boots, or at least riding shoes (that offer some protection). The thing is, I would like to ride as often as I can (ie commuting) but standard riding boots are a pain. Is there anything out there that offers protection and is still use able when not riding?
I wear the Icon Reign boots. I'd like them to be 2" higher on my shin so they overlap with my knee armor, but they're close. Waterproof as well, plus I can wear them around the office on casual Friday.
bfpower is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #16
geoff2k
Chicken strips R US

Name: Geoff

Motorcycle(s): Silver 2007 Ninja 250 EX250F, Silver 2007 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom

Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong, but counter steering needs to be done quickly right? Even the smallest pushes will start to lean you over but the speed of the push determines how quick you turn correct? I think maybe I tried to correct for the turn (by pushing left, to go left) but pushed too slowly so I didnt actually start leaning? I dont know
The MSF is all about easing you into this. At the very least, if you're dead set on riding the bike before the course, get someone who knows what you are doing to set you up with some simple exercises in a parking lot (they should ride the bike to the parking lot for you and ride it back) so you can start to get some legs.
geoff2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #17
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Your helmet got a scratch/ding? Not sure I'd use it anymore, it might have some unseen damage. Which then means if you have another crash it won't protect you like it should.

I'd think about replacing it if I were you.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #18
kirbie
My jigglets are jiggled

Name: Amanda

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE 250R, Sym Mio 50 (scooter!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-dog View Post
Your helmet got a scratch/ding? Not sure I'd use it anymore, it might have some unseen damage. Which then means if you have another crash it won't protect you like it should.

I agree with the helmet. It might just look like a little battle scar but the helmet is meant to break on impact so ...

$300 or life man!

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:00 PM   #19
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Your helmet got a scratch/ding? ........I'd think about replacing it if I were you.
The helmet can be sent to the manufacturer for inspection.

The shifter can be bent back to normal shape (it is made of soft steel).

The clutch lever can have some vertical movement, not big deal.

All the controls should be adjusted to your body dimensions and comfort:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #20
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Name: Melashi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 StreetFighter ~~~~ 2005 KTM 450 EXC

BRO, cmon...

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #21
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

Quote:

It is really just a scratch...on the plastic where the vent is near the mouth.

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:37 PM   #22
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
I dont have my license yet; I was just out learning. I was planning on taking the msf, and was kind of thinking maybe I can just skip out on it, but now I am sure as hell taking it. Unfortunately the first one wont be until late March

Kind of hard to say what I have learned because I dont know anything but I definitely feel like counter steering is throwing me off; I think I need to stop thinking about it so hard and sort of let my body react to it because when I think about it (in this case where I am heading straight for the curb) I make mistakes. Correct me if I am wrong, but counter steering needs to be done quickly right? Even the smallest pushes will start to lean you over but the speed of the push determines how quick you turn correct? I think maybe I tried to correct for the turn (by pushing left, to go left) but pushed too slowly so I didnt actually start leaning? I dont know
If you have to think about which way to push the handle bars to make the bike go a certain way while you already in a situation that needs immediate action then your just to late. Do think about each one of the processes that make a bike turn while your turning, just turn the damn bike and let the individual actions happen automatically. It's easier said or in most Newbs cases read then done but that's just how it is and its gives you something to aim for.

Just curious but can you ride a bike with any skill(no just balancing and pedaling, I mean real riding) or are you new to two wheels?
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:43 PM   #23
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

Yeah, when I first got on it I freaked out a few times because the bike wouldnt turn; I knew about counter steering but the whole idea/feeling of being on the bike took over my thoughts and I forgot all about the concept.

Id say I am pretty decent with bicycles; never really did dirt or trail riding or anything too aggressive but as a kid I was pretty skillful at riding fast and maneuvering, riding down hills with my friends. I can bunny hop as well...so yeah, I am not skillful with bicycles at all

Old February 17th, 2013, 10:45 PM   #24
Madman44
ninjette.org guru

Name: Martin

Motorcycle(s): 250r

Good thing your ok. I had a similar crash a few days ago exept mine's was caused by unseen road debris. It would have been a better idea to take the MSF and get a license before buying a bike, but oh well. Live and learn. Maybe get some sliders?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfpower View Post
I wear the Icon Reign boots. I'd like them to be 2" higher on my shin so they overlap with my knee armor, but they're close. Waterproof as well, plus I can wear them around the office on casual Friday.
Try the Icon Knee/Shin armor. I have them and they tuck in perfectly into the boot. I have the non-stryker (older) version so check ebay if your interested
Madman44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2013, 11:12 PM   #25
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Yeah, when I first got on it I freaked out a few times because the bike wouldnt turn; I knew about counter steering but the whole idea/feeling of being on the bike took over my thoughts and I forgot all about the concept.

Id say I am pretty decent with bicycles; never really did dirt or trail riding or anything too aggressive but as a kid I was pretty skillful at riding fast and maneuvering, riding down hills with my friends. I can bunny hop as well...so yeah, I am not skillful with bicycles at all
So if your having this much trouble with the basics then ill have to agree with the others and recommend the MSF class. In the mean time try and grab a bicycle and do some steering drills around and between objects, a bike moves easier with lighter inputs so its easier to perform the basics. Try not to let this incident ruin your confidence because your just starting out and you'll only get better.

Last futzed with by rojoracing53; February 18th, 2013 at 06:23 AM.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 08:22 AM   #26
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Quote:
Yeah, when I first got on it I freaked out a few times because the bike wouldnt turn; I knew about counter steering but the whole idea/feeling of being on the bike took over my thoughts and I forgot all about the concept......
Two first lessons:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=114372

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...=progressively

Old February 18th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #27
ai4px
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 650r 2009 Vulcan 800 2005

Glad you not hurt.... chalk it up to experience and learn from it.

I gotta agree with the other posters here... take the MSF course. I was skeptical taking it, my purpose was to get the waiver on the motorcycle endorsement for my license. I had tried twice and could not pass the moto course at the DMV. I expected the MSF to be a bunch of timid softsell common sense BS like the defensive driving class I had to take years ago.

Not so... the MSF course is valuable. The classroom side teaches real world info and makes you think about accumulation of hazzards. There were things that I knew about, but not the WHY part. The road course part gave me great confidence and was actually the first time I'd ever ever dragged the pegs.

As my kids get old enough to drive, I will require each of them take the MSF whether they have an interest in riding or not. Yeah, it's that important.

You made the right choice getting a smaller lighter bike to start with, now make the choice to take the MSF.

soapbox off.

Old February 18th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #28
tnr4
ninjette.org sage

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): Suzuki GSX650F! Past: Kawasaki Ninja 300 (Sold); Triumph Street Triple (Sold); Kawasaki Ninja 250 (Sold)

I know you don't want to hear it, but you're posting on here, so I'll go ahead and say it: even if you think the scratch on your helmet is 'only a scratch', you really need to get it inspected. The fact that there is a mark means that it impacted the ground, and all it takes is one impact (with your mellon in it) for the EPS to do its job, which is to absorb the kinetic energy by crushing. Once it has done that, an impact at the same point will transfer the energy straight through to your skull. I know helmets are expensive and it's hard to hear, but they really ought to be thought of as one-time-use. The guys you see riding around with banged up helmets are basically wearing jewelry. (Except it may still help keep your face off the ground if you slide, but it won't dissipate energy which is the primary job of the helmet.)

Sorry to hear about your off; take care of that wrist and after the MSF course, you'll get your confidence back and this will be a distant memory. Good luck!
tnr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 12:16 PM   #29
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Relevant poll in the sticky thread area here:

I Have Crashed/Dropped My Ninjette...

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 12:35 PM   #30
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

I am starting to wonder, it hasn't rained much lately, since our last snow (2 weekends ago) and the neighborhood I was in gets little to no traffic (seriously, two houses are in that area) could it be that I hit a little slick salt spot that could have contributed to me falling?

Old February 18th, 2013, 02:05 PM   #31
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Ouch, painful and expensive way to learn @SwagenGTI. Luckily you survived it and you get to start the learning process again. The advice in this thread has been great.

What I would recommend before riding your ninjette again:
* Get full protective gear. This means a new helmet (unless the manufacturer confirms your current one is ok), abrasion resistent material covering every inch of your body. Proper riding boots (ankle injuries are very common in motorcycle crashes) and padding in all the important areas (knees, elbows, shoulders and back. I wear a separate back protector too (I like my spine!). Don't ever ride without your gear. People make mistakes - gear helps minimize the huge effect of making a mistake on a motorcycle.
* Take a riding course to learn the basics. Counter steering, braking, emergency avoidance, slow speed riding and even simple things like mounting and dismounting the bike should all be covered. Knowledge is power!!
* Take riding seriously. You can jump on a bicycle and play around and experiment - if you make a mistake the consequences will be minor. If you jump on a motorcycle on a public road without the proper protection and basic knowledge you need to operate your bike, then you're risking your life.

Motorcycles are amazing fun and can be ridden safely and confidently, but you've got to learn the basics and get the gear first. You're so lucky you didn't end up worse in your crash.

Finally: regarding how you crashed. You probably freaked out when you realized you were going to go off the road and quickly grabbed the front brake while simultaneously turning the bars. Doing that means you're likely to cause the front wheel to loose traction and thus you crash.

I hope you get your confidence back and do things right this time round.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #32
mfresh
Knee-dragger in Training

Name: Manny

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R (Sunbeam Red)

Sucks to hear about your crash man. I know how you feel about messing up a new bike. Glad you did not sustain any major injuries.

At least now you can ride without really worrying too much about dropping the bike and damaging perfect fairings. Sometimes just worrying about all that can really interfere with your focus if you're a new rider. I would just replace the turn signal and ride it as is for a while as you learn. You can always fix it up later and you can just pickup new parts as good deals pop up.

Also, I recommend you checkout the Alpinestars S-MX 1 Boots. They're pretty damn comfortable off the bike, I've worn them to work and such. You can probably try them on at Cycle Gear if you have one near you.
mfresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 04:38 PM   #33
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

Repair what you need to on the bike but leave it be cosmetically until you get some experience under your belt. Get as much gear as you can and honestly that should be where most of your money goes when you get a bike. And how do you know riding boots are uncomfortable? It does take some time to get used to them but there are plenty of people who walk around for hours on end with full length boots, myself included. You need to decide how much you want to compromise and find what you want. I would suggest riding pants as well, most people skimp out on this but when you slide your legs and going to get pretty beat up and rashed in jeans, although some get lucky and walk away unscathed.

Good luck to you.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 05:22 PM   #34
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

New signals have been ordered, and a new shifter lever will be tonight hopefully. I wish I had better motorcycle shops near by; only one in town is harley davidson and they dont carry too much. Another one is maybe a 20 minute drive out of town and they dont carry much either. Best shop is a good 45 minute drive. I might try to go down there this weekend.

Those Alpinestars S-MX 1 Boots look great, but how much protection do they offer for the ankle in terms of sideways movement? I am definitely into those

Old February 18th, 2013, 05:38 PM   #35
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
New signals have been ordered, and a new shifter lever will be tonight hopefully. I wish I had better motorcycle shops near by; only one in town is harley davidson and they dont carry too much. Another one is maybe a 20 minute drive out of town and they dont carry much either. Best shop is a good 45 minute drive. I might try to go down there this weekend.

Those Alpinestars S-MX 1 Boots look great, but how much protection do they offer for the ankle in terms of sideways movement? I am definitely into those
You're probably better off just ordering online. Work on the ninjette is dead easy, and you've got an amazing community to help you if you get stuck.

And those A*s are designed to keep your ankle from snapping, and they're a widely used and respected company.

Old February 18th, 2013, 06:31 PM   #36
nautica
Gixxer Powered

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 2007 GSXR 600

I'm not sure those SMX-1 boots will prevent you spraining an ankle, it will help against impact, though. Those look like your ankle will still have moment and if that's the case they won't do much, you'd need a full length boot to immobilizes the ankle.
nautica is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 18th, 2013, 07:48 PM   #37
SwagenGTI
ninjette.org member

^^^ exactly. It definitely looks like it has the padding but based on the pictures, it doesnt look like it would prevent my ankle from snapping from the rest of my leg.

I will definitely be ordering all of my stuff online, my problem is fitment. I already had to deal with my helmet being too big, getting a second one in a smaller size and being too small, now the helmet is damaged :/ I also wear 7s to 8's depending on shoe brand and I feel like boots will be even harder to size properly then helmets.

Old February 18th, 2013, 09:28 PM   #38
menikmati
crash 250, get supersport

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R SE (Sold 6/9/14), 2009 ZX-6R (Sold 6/25/14), Subaru BRZ

If you're going to go with a boot at least get a full boot. Spend the extra $120 or so to get the SMX Plus if you have to and wear your pants over them.

Old February 18th, 2013, 09:58 PM   #39
BlueHairSar
ninjette.org sage

Woops! I thought you were talking about these:

(A* S-MX 5)

You really do want to go with a full boot. Shorties don't do much for you ankle.

Old February 18th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #40
IdRatherDrum
ninjette.org member

Name: Chase

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Sorry to hear this. I would take the MSF as soon as possible.
IdRatherDrum is offline   Reply With Quote