ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old April 22nd, 2016, 06:16 PM   #1
Ninja1991
ninjette.org member

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 99 250

99 Ninja 250 - Performed first valve adjustment - Now loud noise -smoke/burning smell

Wew that valve job is pretty tough for the first time. I think I screwed something up. I had a hard time adjusting the slotted screw that sits over the nut, which will tighten or loosen the valves (rocker arm?). I would loosen the nut, then adjust the slotted screw, but every time I would tighten the nut, the valve clearance would change and become much tighter.

Eventually after working with it, I found a level that I though was within spec. I would try to hold the nut and tighten the slotted screw. I was using .010mm for the intake and 0.15mm for the exhaust.

I started it up, and I thought it sounded great. I assembled the rest of the plastics and took it out in the driveway. When I started it in the driveway, I started to hear a really loud clacking sound. See ~0:20 for a very close resemblance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4eH0d2E73g or similar to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvVLHhVw8do

I thought it may have just been the valves because they were really tight before. I took it around the block (1/4 mile at most), and when I got back to my drive way, there was a light amount of smoke coming out from under the gas tank! Uh oh.

I did some research and found that the cam chain tensioner (or CCT) is common to make this noise. I removed it, cleaned it, lubed it, and reinstalled it. There is a small chance that this was done wrong but I dont think so. When I reinstalled it, if fit very very tight, and the rod did not want to enter the engine. When I loosened the phillips screw, it did not immedietly drop in, and I had to loosen it and then I heard a (thunk) and it dropped in. This unfortunately, did not solve the problem. I am going to give it another shot in the morning however.

Given the fact that I have this loud noise, combined with a burning smell and smoke, what could it be? Did I make a mistake and screw up one of the valve jobs? Would that cause smoke? There is residual oil from the valve cover, that may have fallen onto the outside of the engine, but I didnt see any. I checked the valves before closing the lid, and I am pretty sure they were OK, but I will check them again tomorrow. The bike was running decent before this, and there sure was not any sound like this or smoke before.

Thanks for the help!
Ninja1991 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2016, 07:23 PM   #2
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

You may have over-tightened and broken a retaining dog ear on one of the arms. You better open it up and have a look. Engine destruction is imminent if this is the case. I don't remember my bike becoming excessively loud afterward, just a little extra ticking/tapping as the clearance was opened up from zero. 2nd pic on the following link shows what a missing dog ear looks like.

http://n4mwd.blogspot.com/2013/06/ov...ts-during.html

Yeah without the clever little tool it's hard to adjust. I found that backing up about a 1/4" turn then tightening worked. Or was it 1/2" turn. It's been a while.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 09:23 PM   #3
Ninja1991
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
You may have over-tightened and broken a retaining dog ear on one of the arms. You better open it up and have a look. Engine destruction is imminent if this is the case. I don't remember my bike becoming excessively loud afterward, just a little extra ticking/tapping as the clearance was opened up from zero. 2nd pic on the following link shows what a missing dog ear looks like.

http://n4mwd.blogspot.com/2013/06/ov...ts-during.html

Yeah without the clever little tool it's hard to adjust. I found that backing up about a 1/4" turn then tightening worked. Or was it 1/2" turn. It's been a while.
****, I noticed one of those guys being very loose. I was in a bit of rush and I thought it was because the cam lobe was not over it. Are they replacable without anything too drastic?

I'd like to note that the nut was never stripped or drastically tightened. I tightened all the nuts with about the same pressure.

Edit - just read the blog. Sounds bad. If I open the valve cover and all the rocker arms are in good shape, I'm OK? I honestly don't think I over tightened those nuts. It looks like the main problem is that the dog ear on the rocker arm breaks off from over torquing, thus resulting in catastrophic failure. As long as that didn't happen, there still a chance to retain the health of the engine?

Old April 22nd, 2016, 10:02 PM   #4
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja1991 View Post
I'd like to note that the nut was never stripped or drastically tightened. I tightened all the nuts with about the same pressure..........
You should use a torque wrench for those nuts:

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/What_is...t_procedure%3F

Not more than 14, not less than 12 ft-lb.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2016, 07:58 AM   #5
Ninja1991
ninjette.org member

I'm working on it now. The smoke is from a bit of oil that fell on the exhaust manifold. I cleaned and lubed the cct again, and I am not sure at this point if the sound is normal because of the valve adjustment, or if it is a loose/out of spec valve. I'm going to take it around the block.

Edit - two valves were out of spec (the last exhaust ones). Seemed loose and shakey. No dog ears seem to be damaged.

Old April 23rd, 2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Ninja1991
ninjette.org member

Great news! Looks like the two valves that were out of spec was causing the issue. Tripple checked the spec before assembling. As soon as I started the bike I could tell immediately that the noise was gone. Took it for a ride and it's back in business!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 23rd, 2016, 11:07 AM   #7
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Awesome!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 23rd, 2016, 01:27 PM   #8
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Old April 24th, 2016, 08:43 AM   #9
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

Congrats!
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 24th, 2016, 06:53 PM   #10
ZacharyB
ninjette.org member

Name: Zachary

Motorcycle(s): 1994 GN 125, 2004 EX 250

For the future, one of the cool tips that I heard, perhaps from faq.ninja250.org, is to use a deep 9mm socket to hold the nut (with your hands), then, take an flathead eyeglass screwdriver and stick it down the center of the socket to work the center screw. You can at least hold the screw in place as you tighten down the nut with your finger-held socket. Then, remove the eyeglass screwdriver and torque the nut with a torque wrench.
ZacharyB is offline   Reply With Quote