Old October 30th, 2014, 01:06 PM   #161
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
I think we might be talking past each other, tbh. I don't mean to imply that prejudice is ok, nor that it's ok against everybody except women, yadda yadda. I take issue with the fact that you think saying "men can't understand what is a women-only experience" is prejudice. I mean... like I literally don't know what to make of that. Could also be that english isn't my first language, I dunno.
ever heard the term transgender?

making broad statements about a group of people is a generalization and is prejudice.

Old October 30th, 2014, 01:07 PM   #162
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

True dat, I agree. I think catcalling's on the far end of the spectrum of understandable things - some dudes don't even know it happens to their girlfriends, because men tend not to harangue another man's girl, or they think it's very rare and only construction workers do it, etc. Many a dude I know has been absolutely shocked when told that, and they go ask their gf about it, and their gf is like OH yeah that happens all the time! Like this past week blablablalablala. This is just the people I personally know, it might be different for youse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
ever heard the term transgender?

making broad statements about a group of people is a generalization and is prejudice.
Haha, alright, just for you - "most cismales can't understand a female/female-passing/trans woman's experience with catcalling", since granularity arguments really have a place in this type conversation. I'll add yet another tally to my "times a convo has been waylaid because I didn't thoroughly phrase an emotionally charged post about women's painful & distressing experiences - in a thread about women's painful & distressing experiences - in the most male-sensitive way I possibly could" count. How thoroughly unprecedented.
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #163
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
True dat, I agree. I think catcalling's on the far end of the spectrum of understandable things - some dudes don't even know it happens to their girlfriends, because men tend not to harangue another man's girl, or they think it's very rare and only construction workers do it, etc. Many a dude I know has been absolutely shocked when told that, and they go ask their gf about it, and their gf is like OH yeah that happens all the time! Like this past week blablablalablala. This is just the people I personally know, it might be different for youse.

Haha, alright, just for you - "most cismales can't understand a female/female-passing/trans woman's experience with catcalling", since granularity arguments really have a place in this type conversation. I'll add yet another tally to my "times a convo has been waylaid because I didn't thoroughly phrase an emotionally charged post about women's painful & distressing experiences - in a thread about women's painful & distressing experiences - in the most male-sensitive way I possibly could" count. How thoroughly unprecedented.

you are missing my point and you are still being prejudice.

Old October 30th, 2014, 01:57 PM   #164
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
do you know the people you are making statements about? no? that is prejudice.

Old October 30th, 2014, 03:47 PM   #165
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Yeah, you are pretty clearly uninterested in having a genuine discussion about this.
M42 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old October 30th, 2014, 03:59 PM   #166
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Yeah, you are pretty clearly uninterested in having a genuine discussion about this.
no i'm trying to address a concern that i have. the concern is that you seem to be unconscious of your own prejudices while calling others out on theirs. all this line of thinking does is make one group of people more critical of another group of people. the whole "better than thou" line of thinking.

it is a very popular exercise for everyone in the group to tell a story about the last case of prejudice they recognized of themselves... as in what was the last thing you did that was prejudice. for the vast majority of people in the US, this is typically a story that took place less than an hour ago.

why don't you start? what was the last thing you were prejudice about in your day-to-day living?

Old October 30th, 2014, 04:01 PM   #167
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 30th, 2014, 04:07 PM   #168
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
are you trying to say that talking about prejudice is derailing a conversation about prejudice?

or are you implying that women can't be prejudice?

Old October 30th, 2014, 04:11 PM   #169
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
Of course, there's not going to be something analogous between the two types of discrimination, and I think women definitely get the short end of the stick when it comes to sexism, I'm definitely harassed as a male. I'm a thin vegan bisexual dude who cares about animals and rides a 250 (a "girls' bike") who lives in a mostly conservative town. Nobody would bat an eye about any of those things about me if I were female. But since I'm a male, I should lift my truck, eat meat, only date women, go to the gym and get a 'busa because that's what it means to be a man, and these experiences are definitely not unique to me. You don't need to understand exactly what someone's going through to understand that it's bad and shouldn't happen to them.
I'm a vegan gay redneck living in the country... I ride a 300
An all this time I thought you meant **** you negatively :/

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 30th, 2014, 04:20 PM   #170
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
I'm a vegan gay redneck living in the country... I ride a 300
An all this time I thought you meant **** you negatively :/

I knew it, I knew it, I knew it! It makes you feel good when you're right about someone.

5 out of 5 members found this post helpful.
Old October 30th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #171
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
this guy

Old October 31st, 2014, 11:31 AM   #172
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
someone posted this to reddit and i thought it was pretty on-topic

Quote:
[–]hitchcocklikedblonds 3576 points 4 hours ago*x17
This whole video thing is frustrating the **** out of me.
I'm a woman. Yes, catcalling sucks. It is degrading. Edit: I want to clear up one thing. My issue is NOT the video. It is the comments and articles coming FROM the video that disgust me.
But the comments and extrapolations coming from this video are annoying as ****. I saw an article where a woman claimed that WOMEN (as in, all of us) feel vulnerable and threatened when we walk on the street or when a man talks to us without explicit invitation/permission.
I don't feel like this AT ALL. I walk around the world. People talk to me. I talk to people. Some people are icky scumbags. I am a grown ass woman, I can pick up on that vibe pretty well. But most people? Most people are PEOPLE.
Are some guys clueless and don't realize when something could make a woman uncomfortable? Of course. Are some guys icky and sleazy and do it on purpose? Certainly. Are most guys just people doing people things and trying to be friendly? Definitely.
I had a guy come up to me in a bar a few weeks ago. He said, "Hey, cool t-shirt." We chatted about the band on my shirt for a few minutes, he walked off. It wasn't icky. It wasn't weird. He wasn't hitting on me. He liked the semi-rare concert shirt I was wearing for a band he enjoyed.
I am a feminist. I firmly support women in receiving equal pay, being safe from harassment, receiving proper help to deal with domestic and sexual violence. Guess what? I think men deserve all of those things to. These issues matter to me, no matter what gender someone is. What I DON'T like is that sometimes being pro-woman translates to being anti-man. There is this implication that all men are one comment away from being mindless, raping beasts. And that's plain stupid. Of course, the men's rights people are annoying as **** too, because that turns into degradation as well. Maybe we should stop talking about how bad the other side is and just have a freaking conversation about how to make sure EVERYONE is safe.
When we talk about rape/abuse/sexual harassment to men we say, "Think about if it were your mother/sister/daughter/aunt". So I say to women, "Do you want your father/brother/husband/son being treated like a threat?" Do you want people assuming that the men in your life that you care for are always within an inch of degrading/abusing/belittling or raping women?
Either we are equal and we support each other rather than trashing each other or it's all ****ing pointless.
Some men need to stop threatening to "rape" women who make statements they disagree with online.
Some women need to stop pretending they are perpetual victims.
Everybody buck the **** up and stop acting like an asshole. Turns out, being a big old jerkface is not based on genitalia.
If you feel threatened every time you walk down the street, no matter what your gender, take a krav maga class. Do a little research on how to protect yourself.
Edit: Okay, well this turned into a giant thing. I honestly expected a couple people would see it and frankly I'm a bit terrified at the response.
If I offended you and you disagree, tell me why. I am more than willing to hear other sides and refine my own point of view. If I'm wrong, I'll readily admit it. If my wording was unclear I am happy to attempt to rectify that. It's 3am here and I have to get up tomorrow to take my son to a Halloween party but I'll be back after that.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old October 31st, 2014, 11:46 AM   #173
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Well presented thoughts.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2014, 12:13 PM   #174
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17

Link to original page on YouTube.

Full Transcript of Emma Watson's Speech on Gender Equality at the UN:

Quote:
Today we are launching a campaign called for HeForShe. I am reaching out to you because we need your help. We want to end gender inequality, and to do this, we need everyone involved. This is the first campaign of its kind at the UN. We want to try to mobilize as many men and boys as possible to be advocates for change. And, we don’t just want to talk about it. We want to try and make sure that it’s tangible.

I was appointed as Goodwill Ambassador for UN Women six months ago. And, the more I spoke about feminism, the more I realized that fighting for women’s rights has too often become synonymous with man-hating. If there is one thing I know for certain, it is that this has to stop.

For the record, feminism by definition is the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities. It is the theory of political, economic and social equality of the sexes.

I started questioning gender-based assumptions a long time ago. When I was 8, I was confused for being called bossy because I wanted to direct the plays that we would put on for our parents, but the boys were not. When at 14, I started to be sexualized by certain elements of the media. When at 15, my girlfriends started dropping out of sports teams because they didn’t want to appear muscly. When at 18, my male friends were unable to express their feelings.

I decided that I was a feminist, and this seemed uncomplicated to me. But my recent research has shown me that feminism has become an unpopular word. Women are choosing not to identify as feminists. Apparently, I’m among the ranks of women whose expressions are seen as too strong, too aggressive, isolating, and anti-men. Unattractive, even.

Why has the word become such an uncomfortable one? I am from Britain, and I think it is right I am paid the same as my male counterparts. I think it is right that I should be able to make decisions about my own body. I think it is right that women be involved on my behalf in the policies and decisions that will affect my life. I think it is right that socially, I am afforded the same respect as men.

But sadly, I can say that there is no one country in the world where all women can expect to see these rights. No country in the world can yet say that they achieved gender equality. These rights, I consider to be human rights, but I am one of the lucky ones.

My life is a sheer privilege because my parents didn’t love me less because I was born a daughter. My school did not limit me because I was a girl. My mentors didn't assume that I would go less far because I might give birth to a child one day. These influences were the gender equality ambassadors that made me who I am today. They may not know it, but they are the inadvertent feminists that are changing the world today. We need more of those.

And if you still hate the word, it is not the word that is important. It’s the idea and the ambition behind it, because not all women have received the same rights I have. In fact, statistically, very few have.

In 1997, Hillary Clinton made a famous speech in Beijing about women’s rights. Sadly, many of the things that she wanted to change are still true today. But what stood out for me the most was that less than thirty percent of the audience were male. How can we effect change in the world when only half of it is invited or feel welcome to participate in the conversation?

Men, I would like to take this opportunity to extend your formal invitation. Gender equality is your issue, too. Because to date, I’ve seen my father’s role as a parent being valued less by society, despite my need of his presence as a child, as much as my mother’s. I’ve seen young men suffering from mental illness, unable to ask for help for fear it would make them less of a man. In fact, in the UK, suicide is the biggest killer of men between 20 to 49, eclipsing road accidents, cancer and coronary heart disease. I’ve seen men made fragile and insecure by a distorted sense of what constitutes male success. Men don’t have the benefits of equality, either.

We don’t often talk about men being imprisoned by gender stereotypes, but I can see that they are, and that when they are free, things will change for women as a natural consequence. If men don’t have to be aggressive in order to be accepted, women won’t feel compelled to be submissive. If men don’t have to control, women won’t have to be controlled.

Both men and women should feel free to be sensitive. Both men and women should feel free to be strong. It is time that we all perceive gender on a spectrum, instead of two sets of opposing ideals. If we stop defining each other by what we are not, and start defining ourselves by who we are, we can all be freer, and this is what HeForShe is about. It’s about freedom.

I want men to take up this mantle so that their daughters, sisters, and mothers can be free from prejudice, but also so that their sons have permission to be vulnerable and human too, reclaim those parts of themselves they abandoned, and in doing so, be a more true and complete version of themselves.

You might be thinking, “Who is this Harry Potter girl, and what is she doing speaking at the UN?” And, it’s a really good question. I’ve been asking myself the same thing.

All I know is that I care about this problem, and I want to make it better. And, having seen what I’ve seen, and given the chance, I feel it is my responsibility to say something.

Statesman Edmund Burke said, “All that is needed for the forces of evil to triumph is for good men and women to do nothing.”

In my nervousness for this speech and in my moments of doubt, I told myself firmly, “If not me, who? If not now, when?” If you have similar doubts when opportunities are presented to you, I hope those words will be helpful. Because the reality is that if we do nothing, it will take seventy-five years, or for me to be nearly 100, before women can expect to be paid the same as men for the same work. 15.5 million girls will be married in the next 16 years as children. And at current rates, it won't be until 2086 before all rural African girls can have a secondary education.

If you believe in equality, you might be one of those inadvertent feminists that I spoke of earlier, and for this, I applaud you. We are struggling for a uniting word, but the good news is, we have a uniting movement. It is called HeForShe. I invite you to step forward, to be seen and to ask yourself, “If not me, who? If not now, when?”

Thank you very, very much."

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 31st, 2014, 12:31 PM   #175
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
i always thought she had a good head on her shoulders, that watson.

Old October 31st, 2014, 12:41 PM   #176
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (69.3 KB, 1 views)

Old October 31st, 2014, 12:44 PM   #177
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
t
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (26.6 KB, 0 views)

Old October 31st, 2014, 02:05 PM   #178
eddiekay

Presenting to the UN....yeh, that'll get things rollin'

Old October 31st, 2014, 03:54 PM   #179
Ninjinsky

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250, Yamaha RS200 (classic)

"At the UN she came in through the yellow door."
"How did you work that out Holmes?"
"Lemon entry, my dear Watson"
Ninjinsky is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old November 1st, 2014, 06:47 AM   #180
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post

Full Transcript of Emma Watson's Speech on Gender Equality at the UN:

Quote:
i always thought she had a good head on her shoulders, that watson.
Rumor has it she wasn't wearing any underwear.

She is such a free spirit!

Old November 1st, 2014, 08:50 AM   #181
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
can't we all just get along an stop ****in assaulting an raping

Old November 1st, 2014, 11:48 AM   #182
eddiekay

Rumor has it she wasn't wearing any underwear.
Rumor has it it's in Johnny's tank bag

Old November 1st, 2014, 11:56 AM   #183
Ninjinsky

Thank goodness,
I had been getting worried this thread was never going to degenerate

Old November 1st, 2014, 12:57 PM   #184
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Black bean burger... Indeed

Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:23 PM   #185
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Look at the view count of this thread. It's well over 2000 views and the thread was only started like a week ago. I wonder if people from outside the little Ninjette.org community have been drawn in.

There could be outsiders among us!

... or maybe this video, and the ensuing feminism discussion just managed to cause the same kind ruckus within Ninjette.org as it seems to have caused everywhere else.
akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2014, 01:53 PM   #186
Ninjinsky

I think it is to do with the fact that we have far more girls here than on other sites because of the profile of "low saddle" ninja ownership.
I like that, it makes the site much broader socially.
Also nice that the girls here are serious bikers and are totally onboard and accepted as "comrades".

Old November 2nd, 2014, 02:05 PM   #187
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
True, there are a ton of men who are respectful towards other people that they can offer genuine compliments without coming across as creepy or harassing. True, there are some men that feel entitled enough that they can make rude sexual comments towards (primarily) women and expect to get away with it.
This is called class. You either have it or you don't.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 2nd, 2014, 06:41 PM   #188
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I should go back to the college an get me some classes

Old November 3rd, 2014, 01:07 PM   #189
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13

csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 3rd, 2014, 02:37 PM   #190
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Ha, this video reminded me of this...

antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old November 4th, 2014, 09:42 AM   #191
CC Cowboy

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
This Year's Victoria's Secret Fantasy Bra Is Finally Here

The good news: Victoria's Secret just announced there will be not one but two Fantasy Bras

The bad news: these babies wouldn't exactly fare well in our underwear drawers.

Petition Calls For Victoria's Secret To Change Its "Perfect Body" Campaign

I'm so confused!!!!!

Old November 4th, 2014, 09:48 AM   #192
eddiekay

Bra....why, what's that ?
Is it simlar to an over the shoulder boulder holder ( circa 1963)

Old November 4th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #193
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiekay View Post
Bra....why, what's that ?
Is it simlar to an over the shoulder boulder holder ( circa 1963)
why the **** did i look that up. damnit.

Old November 4th, 2014, 12:03 PM   #194
Ninjinsky

Girlfriend:
I went to the counter to buy my first bra but I was so embarrassed I just said "Give me a pack of those strawberry flavor condoms"

Old November 4th, 2014, 12:09 PM   #195
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
why the **** did i look that up. damnit.
I dunno what you found, but that general query (as I'd never heard the phrase before) led to a neat article on finding a bra dating from around the 14th-15th century. Pretty cool stuff.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2014, 12:38 PM   #196
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
don't google-image search "over the shoulder boulder holder".

Old November 4th, 2014, 12:42 PM   #197
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2014, 01:10 PM   #198
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

Control freak people who have the need to force everyone else to be the same.

xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 4th, 2014, 02:06 PM   #199
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Haha no body googles my funny stuff anymore :/

Old November 4th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #200
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
I still love this thread....

In every xbox game my son plays there is a chick getting captured and the hero (a guy) gotta save her. lol
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote