ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 23rd, 2012, 09:27 PM   #1
BFisher244
Ninja Noob

Name: Craig

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R Candy Plasma Blue

Lightbulb seasonal insurance shuffle

This question is for those in the upper states that have a real winter. When you put your bike away for winter storage and have zero intention of riding it until the spring, do you change up your insurance coverage? (ie drop the coverage level since it's just sitting in a garage, and then raise it back up in the spring before you bring it back out).
BFisher244 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:05 PM   #2
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
In my area it's 12 months a year riding season, but one thing I have done before is called my insurance company and declared a vehicle "Not in Service"; it makes most coverages drop to the legal minimums with a few discounts because it's not being used at all. Don't know if that's possible with all states/insurance carriers but it is handy -- especially because reinstating later is just a matter of another phone call and all the previous coverages are restored.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 05:28 AM   #3
k-os
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 1988 Honda Hawk NT650, 1989 Honda Hawk NT650, 1997 GSXR750 Track Bike

I recently asked my insurance company (American Family) about this as I've got a motorcycle I'm working on and probably won't ride anymore this year, but I still wanted to keep it insured for threft/fire. Their response was that they don't do a Storage Type insurance, but the premium they do charge for the year is actually priced to the equivalent of 8 months, because of our seasons in Wisconsin.
k-os is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 08:50 AM   #4
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

i drop mine down to liability since the bike is paid for. Granted i still take the bike out during the winter when a nice day pops up since i dont do any general winterization on the bike, so i ride it about 5 miles every 2-4 weeks. Its kept in a garage and not outside otherwise. It brings the insurance down about half. My gfs bike isnt paid off though so it requires the full insurance regardless, even though she doesnt ride the bike all year...
Bigballsofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #5
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-os View Post
I recently asked my insurance company (American Family) about this as I've got a motorcycle I'm working on and probably won't ride anymore this year, but I still wanted to keep it insured for threft/fire. Their response was that they don't do a Storage Type insurance, but the premium they do charge for the year is actually priced to the equivalent of 8 months, because of our seasons in Wisconsin.
This sounds like a very crafty load of bs from the insurance guy. You can cancel/change your coverage at any time, but at every change your policy history is evaluated and your premium reset. You can bet that the insurance companies have probably seen activity like that before. I would expect that your rates would change after a few flip flops. Kudos to the OP for finding a creative method of temporary cost savings.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Malicious Logic
hates stupid people

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2005 ZX6R

Don't know if it's an option for motorcycle coverage but we have an option for our car to put the vehicle into 'parked' status. Payments drop significantly. You can use it like twice a month but have to call them beforehand so they're aware.

Old September 24th, 2012, 12:03 PM   #7
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malicious Logic View Post
Don't know if it's an option for motorcycle coverage but we have an option for our car to put the vehicle into 'parked' status. Payments drop significantly. You can use it like twice a month but have to call them beforehand so they're aware.
Yep, that's exactly like what I was talking about earlier. Worked well while I was out of state for a few months; this was before I got my bike though.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 24th, 2012, 12:06 PM   #8
miss_syn
my hair matches my bike

Name: Tiffany

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Red 250r

My insurance is priced for our climate.
miss_syn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 25th, 2012, 01:12 PM   #9
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

I'm not sure who you have as your insurance provider. But Progressive prices your insurances based on where you live. So I just keep my bike insured all year around here in Chicago.

Old September 25th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Boom King
So, where's the reverse?

Name: Anson

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

If your policy is rated on a seasonal basis, I'm gonna guess that dropping coverages to fire and theft during the winter months will have very little to no cost savings. Some places may not even allow that so best to call your agent/broker.
Boom King is offline   Reply With Quote