Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 30th, 2015, 02:42 PM   #1
RitzykicksHQ
ninjette.org member

Name: RitzyKicks

Motorcycle(s): 11 Ninja 250R se

Arrow Video recording mounts hardware

Whatsssss up yall,

Yea so thinking of just getting a good mount that can hold my iPhone in place while providing a good recording angle. As opposed to getting a go pro etc. Did anyone here have a good experience with a particular phone mount? cheers.

UPDATE BELOW

Last futzed with by RitzykicksHQ; May 1st, 2015 at 06:32 PM.
RitzykicksHQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2015, 07:05 PM   #2
RitzykicksHQ
ninjette.org member

screw it getting a go pro..

mods delete this dumb thread please lol

Old April 30th, 2015, 08:37 PM   #3
Animoto
ninjette.org member

Name: Will

Motorcycle(s): '12 Ninja 250

lol didn't last 5 hours before you decided on the go pro. will you be motovlogin?
Animoto is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2015, 09:29 PM   #4
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Go Pros are dirt cheap now. For $130, you can get their low end model that still shoot 1080P@30fps or 720P@60fps.

Unless you need the higher end model's functions (mainly attaching an external mic to speak while motovlogging), the $130 model is perfectly fine for recording rides.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 1st, 2015, 01:02 PM   #5
RitzykicksHQ
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animoto View Post
lol didn't last 5 hours before you decided on the go pro. will you be motovlogin?

haa honestly I want it to for documentation purposes to protect myself, but might vlog.

Old May 1st, 2015, 01:02 PM   #6
RitzykicksHQ
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Go Pros are dirt cheap now. For $130, you can get their low end model that still shoot 1080P@30fps or 720P@60fps.

Unless you need the higher end model's functions (mainly attaching an external mic to speak while motovlogging), the $130 model is perfectly fine for recording rides.
yea exactly. deffinately need a mic.

Old May 1st, 2015, 01:13 PM   #7
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
You don't need all that for documentation purposes, that's a bit overkill. Get one of the cheap Mobius camera's for that. It's super small, records over video footage and you can pretty much fit it anywhere. That's my .02 cents and what I'm doing.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2015, 01:29 PM   #8
RitzykicksHQ
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiant View Post
You don't need all that for documentation purposes, that's a bit overkill. Get one of the cheap Mobius camera's for that. It's super small, records over video footage and you can pretty much fit it anywhere. That's my .02 cents and what I'm doing.

ant I know i was initially just wanting a mount for my iphone and call it day, but the go pro can record 8 hours at 30fps or 4 hours at 60fps. Iphone only records 30 minutes. Ill look into the mobius but if its almost the price of a go pro id rather go go pro.

Old May 1st, 2015, 01:47 PM   #9
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Which model of the Mobius do you have? The one that loops the recording (records over the oldest file when memory card is full) that functions like a dashcam (turns on automaticaly when key is in the ignition and turns off when key is taken out of the ignition)?

Does it have the option for a power supply hookup? Or is it still all rechargeable battery?

And are you hooking this up as a helmet cam? Or as a dashcam via your windscreen? Any hardware included for the setup?

Old May 1st, 2015, 02:32 PM   #10
Animoto
ninjette.org member

I myself started motovlogin like 4 weeks ago (youtube: willbecruzin)

anyways I'm using a sony as 15 action cam which is pretty good, 1080 at 30fps is standard and it goes up to 1080 at 60fps. Although its mounted on the side of the helmet i think it is pretty inconspicuous and tbh when i opened the box i thought i was holding the battery, i was shocked to find out it was the camera lol.

I have it mounted with paddle board tape which actually hold it really well and a mic attached. Action cameras are definitely the way to go if your going to be recording rides weather you motovlog or not.

and everything cost me like $165. 90% of which was the cam

Old May 1st, 2015, 02:51 PM   #11
RitzykicksHQ
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I myself started motovlogin like 4 weeks ago (youtube: willbecruzin)

anyways I'm using a sony as 15 action cam which is pretty good, 1080 at 30fps is standard and it goes up to 1080 at 60fps. Although its mounted on the side of the helmet i think it is pretty inconspicuous and tbh when i opened the box i thought i was holding the battery, i was shocked to find out it was the camera lol.

I have it mounted with paddle board tape which actually hold it really well and a mic attached. Action cameras are definitely the way to go if your going to be recording rides weather you motovlog or not.

and everything cost me like $165. 90% of which was the cam
The quality looks great Will.

Old May 1st, 2015, 02:54 PM   #12
Animoto
ninjette.org member

Thanks. Some People compared it to the go pro 3 which are like 300 plus I think so that speaks for itself

Old May 1st, 2015, 04:29 PM   #13
RitzykicksHQ
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Thanks. Some People compared it to the go pro 3 which are like 300 plus I think so that speaks for itself
is this it?

http://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Action-...eywords=mobius

it says up to 2 hours.

Old May 1st, 2015, 04:34 PM   #14
Animoto
ninjette.org member

i have that one
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HDR-AS15-...rds=sony+as+15

it comes down to weather you want a front mount or side mount man. I prefer the side thats why i got this if you want a front, you'll need the go pro

Old May 1st, 2015, 06:00 PM   #15
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by madisonhq View Post
ant I know i was initially just wanting a mount for my iphone and call it day, but the go pro can record 8 hours at 30fps or 4 hours at 60fps. Iphone only records 30 minutes. Ill look into the mobius but if its almost the price of a go pro id rather go go pro.
I don't know where you got your information, but the Go Pro is widely known to have a very poor battery life, unless you get a bunch of back-up batteries. The price of a Mobius is $79.79, off Amazon here. If you do a quick youtube search for Mobius action camera, you'll see that the quality is pretty amazing for evidence recording purposes, not to mention it has a lot of support and rave reviews. I just got mine yesterday, but I haven't tested it out yet. I could not believe how small that thing is and what it's capable of, for such a cheap price.

Quote:
Which model of the Mobius do you have? The one that loops the recording (records over the oldest file when memory card is full) that functions like a dashcam (turns on automaticaly when key is in the ignition and turns off when key is taken out of the ignition)?

Does it have the option for a power supply hookup? Or is it still all rechargeable battery?

And are you hooking this up as a helmet cam? Or as a dashcam via your windscreen? Any hardware included for the setup?
I have the Mobius Action Camera 1080P HD Mini Sports Cam - Wide Angle Edition (Lens C). I decided to get the wide angle over the standard view because it shows more things in the picture.

It has Windows and Mac support (firmware updates and software for configuration/editing, which you can find here). If you want continuous looping, where it records over the old data, that's no problem, it's built into the software as an option, among a plethora of options.

I also got the Mobius Action Camera - Super Capacitor. This allows the continuous recording of the Mobius in extreme temperatures.

My plan is to do what @allanoue did, which is to put it right under the headlights. I'll be connecting mine to a PDM 60 and have it set up to where, when I start the bike, it starts recording. I want something where I can set it and forget it, without messing around with camera buttons, etc.

I also have a Drift HD Ghost, that I mount on the top of my head, but I don't use that as my "hardcore" evidence camera, that's more for what it was designed to do, action stuff. I will be purchasing another Mobius down the road, for a back view too, since they are so cheap.

Old May 1st, 2015, 06:31 PM   #16
RitzykicksHQ
ninjette.org member

so picked this up

Old May 1st, 2015, 08:20 PM   #17
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
I don't know where you got your information, but the Go Pro is widely known to have a very poor battery life, unless you get a bunch of back-up batteries. The price of a Mobius is $79.79, off Amazon here. If you do a quick youtube search for Mobius action camera, you'll see that the quality is pretty amazing for evidence recording purposes, not to mention it has a lot of support and rave reviews. I just got mine yesterday, but I haven't tested it out yet. I could not believe how small that thing is and what it's capable of, for such a cheap price.

I have the Mobius Action Camera 1080P HD Mini Sports Cam - Wide Angle Edition (Lens C). I decided to get the wide angle over the standard view because it shows more things in the picture.

It has Windows and Mac support (firmware updates and software for configuration/editing, which you can find here). If you want continuous looping, where it records over the old data, that's no problem, it's built into the software as an option, among a plethora of options.

I also got the Mobius Action Camera - Super Capacitor. This allows the continuous recording of the Mobius in extreme temperatures.

My plan is to do what @allanoue did, which is to put it right under the headlights. I'll be connecting mine to a PDM 60 and have it set up to where, when I start the bike, it starts recording. I want something where I can set it and forget it, without messing around with camera buttons, etc.

I also have a Drift HD Ghost, that I mount on the top of my head, but I don't use that as my "hardcore" evidence camera, that's more for what it was designed to do, action stuff. I will be purchasing another Mobius down the road, for a back view too, since they are so cheap.
Thanks for the detailed info. Once you get it set up and running, can you do a review of the camera? I'd like to see what it looks like under the headlights. I wonder if the harsh vibration will affect the video quality.

Thanks again!

Old May 1st, 2015, 08:45 PM   #18
RitzykicksHQ
ninjette.org member

Actually the go pro isnt that bad at all and its water proof and can take a beating...i bought the cheapest model which holds up pretty good based on the reviews ive seen. Better battery life than the hero 3 and 4. Wide angle wtc.

Old May 1st, 2015, 09:56 PM   #19
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
I thought you wanted something with an external mic, no?

Old May 1st, 2015, 11:45 PM   #20
antiant
antiant

MOTM - Oct '14
Not saying the Go Pro is bad, it has it's pro's and con's like any other product.

@cadd - Sure, but it may be awhile because I'm not setting it up right away. I have other things I want to add to my bike, so I'm going to add all this at once, as I get them piece meal. My "major" plan is to have GPS, phone, USB power, steibel horn, evidence camera (Mobius), Heated gear hook-up, etc.

Old May 2nd, 2015, 07:32 AM   #21
RitzykicksHQ
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I thought you wanted something with an external mic, no?

It has a built in mic

Old May 2nd, 2015, 11:48 AM   #22
RitzykicksHQ
ninjette.org member

check the first video out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB5nPULEGIE

Last futzed with by RitzykicksHQ; May 2nd, 2015 at 01:28 PM.
RitzykicksHQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2015, 01:15 PM   #23
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
check first video out!

Respectful reading suggestions:
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99060

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=98737
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:21 PM   #24
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Not saying the Go Pro is bad, it has it's pro's and con's like any other product.

@cadd - Sure, but it may be awhile because I'm not setting it up right away. I have other things I want to add to my bike, so I'm going to add all this at once, as I get them piece meal. My "major" plan is to have GPS, phone, USB power, steibel horn, evidence camera (Mobius), Heated gear hook-up, etc.
No problem! I'm in no rush either I just want to see what the view looks like under the lights.

Quote:
College Point/Flushing in the house!

Good quality. Too bad youtube lowered the resolution. Same happens with my cam on 720p@60fps. What mount are you using?

Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:29 PM   #25
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
OP - This is how I do it....just practice at your own pace in an empty parking lot at night.

Link to original page on YouTube.

And I totally feel your frustrations riding around the city

Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:39 PM   #26
RitzykicksHQ
ninjette.org member

Quote:
No problem! I'm in no rush either I just want to see what the view looks like under the lights.

College Point/Flushing in the house!

Good quality. Too bad youtube lowered the resolution. Same happens with my cam on 720p@60fps. What mount are you using?

Woot woot lol actually i recorded at 720 i dont think they lower it but it takes about a half hour after upload for the hd option to appear on the vid.

Old May 2nd, 2015, 04:40 PM   #27
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Woot woot lol actually i recorded at 720 i dont think they lower it but it takes about a half hour after upload for the hd option to appear on the vid.
They definitely lowered it when they encoded it. Watch your video on youtube in HD. Then watch your raw video. Huge difference! At least with my cam, it's like that.

Old May 2nd, 2015, 05:26 PM   #28
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
OP - This is how I do it....just practice at your own pace in an empty parking lot at night.
Music to my hears: fantastic downshifting, Cadd !!!

Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2015, 05:29 PM   #29
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Music to my hears: fantastic downshifting, Cadd !!!
+1
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2015, 05:33 PM   #30
RitzykicksHQ
ninjette.org member

Quote:
They definitely lowered it when they encoded it. Watch your video on youtube in HD. Then watch your raw video. Huge difference! At least with my cam, it's like that.
Your vids look great Cadd and yea i dont downshift much will start though. I just come off the throttle and stay in gear on a turn. When coming to a stop I shift to first while coasting to a stop.

Old May 2nd, 2015, 07:54 PM   #31
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

MOTM - May '15
@Motofool & @csmith12, thank you gentlemen. Coming from guys like you on the track, it means a lot & I feel honored. My downshifts aren't always like this. Only on good days.

@madisonhq, you should practice staying in gear and not coasting when decelerating for a stop. This is especially true for NYC riding. Everyone and their mothers are in a rush and have little or no patience. They want you to move ASAP. You can practice by trying to start downshifting without applying the brakes. That's one less thing to worry about. In the two videos above, I used the front brake with my middle finger only. I use more than one finger only when I need to stop quickly. But you should always plan ahead and be proactive so you don't have to stop suddenly at all times.

For example, here's downshifting without applying the brakes.

Once you feel comfortable with your downshifts without using the brakes, you can use one or two fingers on the brake lever and apply the brakes while downshifting.

It's all preference. Some people like to use:
- index & middle on brake. Ring & pinky for throttle
- middle, ring & pinky on brakes & index and thumb for throttle
- middle on brakes & index, ring & pinky for throttle (like my retarded way).

Old May 2nd, 2015, 08:01 PM   #32
RitzykicksHQ
ninjette.org member

Quote:
@Motofool & @csmith12, thank you gentlemen. Coming from guys like you on the track, it means a lot & I feel honored. My downshifts aren't always like this. Only on good days.

@madisonhq, you should practice staying in gear and not coasting when decelerating for a stop. This is especially true for NYC riding. Everyone and their mothers are in a rush and have little or no patience. They want you to move ASAP. You can practice by trying to start downshifting without applying the brakes. That's one less thing to worry about. In the two videos above, I used the front brake with my middle finger only. I use more than one finger only when I need to stop quickly. But you should always plan ahead and be proactive so you don't have to stop suddenly at all times.

For example, here's downshifting without applying the brakes.

Once you feel comfortable with your downshifts without using the brakes, you can use one or two fingers on the brake lever and apply the brakes while downshifting.

It's all preference. Some people like to use:
- index & middle on brake. Ring & pinky for throttle
- middle, ring & pinky on brakes & index and thumb for throttle
- middle on brakes & index, ring & pinky for throttle (like my retarded way).

Thanks bro i absoloulty will start practicing more.