ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:21 AM   #1
abandonhope16
ninjette.org member

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

Cafe/Streefighter/Naked Advice

Hi all. I've been researching and have become so overwhelmed with info, that I thought it may be better to ask. I'm not a huge fan of the front end of the pregen 250, so my hope is to change it without spending a fortune. Just looking for some ideas. I guess the way I am leaning now is a 7" headlight and getting new turn signals and mirrors (I think that's all thats needed if I go this route). I do like the streetfighter look, but the headlights I've been coming across are pretty ugly and use bulbs that don't seem bright enough.
I just don't know which way to go and am hoping to get some opinions/ideas.
Thanks!
abandonhope16 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:28 AM   #2
abandonhope16
ninjette.org member

Oh and the other thing is that I definitely want to keep my gauge cluster.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:33 AM   #3
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Well, Pete, do you like the fair'd or non fair'd look? That's a good place to start.

You can get HID 7" headlights

I always liked the look where you take everything off except the lower oil pan thingy and the tail.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:37 AM   #4
abandonhope16
ninjette.org member

I wouldnt be opposed to fairings, I just cant seem to come up with anything that is an improvement over stock.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:42 AM   #5
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Could get creative and try to put newgen fairings on.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 08:42 AM   #6
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Graft the newgen top front half to your pregen fairing. That makes it better.

Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:27 AM   #7
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '06 Ninja 250, 2018 Honda GL1800B

Difficult to retain the giant stock gauge cluster if you don't want a fairing. I went with the Trail Tech Vapor with good results.

A good 7" headlight with an H4 bulb will give a very good beam. I got one from Speedmotoco.com.

Basic:

Or radical (you can remove about 30 lbs):
Chicagobob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:34 AM   #8
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

That looks nice and clean @Chicagobob

Old May 2nd, 2014, 11:51 AM   #9
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
That looks nice and clean @Chicagobob
He is a showoff!

I am a fan of @Chicagobob creations!
Very clean work

Old May 2nd, 2014, 05:44 PM   #10
abandonhope16
ninjette.org member

I am a fan of the chicagobob look and I'm thinking of going the basic route. Reason I want to keep the speedo is that I want to stay try to the miles and not complicate things when I eventually sell.
I remember seeing a picture of the 7" headlight with the stock cluster, but it was just the picture with no details.
Standard round headlight is fine but I was hoping to go with something a little different but I just haven't been able to find the right idea. I'd like a more aggressive looking headlight (if that makes sense).

Old May 3rd, 2014, 12:25 AM   #11
b.miller123
ninjette.org member

Name: Brett

Motorcycle(s): 1998 Ninja 250 2007 Yamaha R6 2003 Honda RC51... sold :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Could get creative and try to put newgen fairings on.
That will take a lot of chopping to fit around the pre-08 tank and seat, and the subframe will stick out below the tail. Not sure how you'd mount the headlight either, as the front fairing stays are very different. The 08 tank won't fit without serious modifications.
b.miller123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:33 AM   #12
abandonhope16
ninjette.org member

This is a pic of what looks like a 7inch headlight with the stock cluster; I can't find any additional details though. http://faq.ninja250.org/images/e/e7/120930_001.jpg

Old May 4th, 2014, 07:12 AM   #13
abandonhope16
ninjette.org member

Any reasons to believe that this combo won't work?
Thanks!
http://m.ebay.com/itm/300961191735?nav=SEARCH

Old May 4th, 2014, 08:55 PM   #14
UnshavenCanuck
ninjette.org member

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250

It'll work fine but that gauge cluster is gonna look terrible and bulky. Your best and cheapest bet would be to fabricate something like the blue collar bobber setup or spend the money on a Koso or vapor.

If anyone could explain to me how to post multiple pics that would be awesome. All my attempts have ended in failure. I don't have photobucket or such they're all on my iPad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (117.7 KB, 77 views)
UnshavenCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 15th, 2014, 01:03 PM   #15
JasonJ
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 1980 Yamaha XS850G Midnight Special, 32k Miles; 2000 EX250F, <5000 Orig Miles

The bike posted here: http://faq.ninja250.org/images/e/e7/120930_001.jpg that was referenced actually doesnt look bad at all with the stock dash... now I think it would look tons better with a black headlight instead of chrome, and small standard stalk-style turn signals instead of oddly mounted flush mounts....

Perhaps the black painted 7" round headlight with the stock gauges/dash with a custom molded or modified cafe faring.. the style that only goes around the headlight and then up into a small windscreen, perhaps?

Like this one: modified of course, or custom made:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Viper-...item3f16400a03
JasonJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2014, 12:56 PM   #16
azaizai
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Matt

Ive been considering the same thing.

Is it possible to put the 7" headlight out far enough with side mounts to put a bikini fairing or windscreen out far enough to sneak the cluster in? The bike thats been posted has the cluster right on the light, but I think the mount has to be custom.

Its either that or I've considered salvaging the front fender, straightening the fairing stay and using it as a pod. Keep the headlight, gauges, enough fairing to cover them both. If I did it well enough I could mount the mirrors and windscreen as well. Just depends on how straight I can get everything
azaizai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 16th, 2014, 01:15 PM   #17
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

You could make new housings for the stock speedo and tach, like this guy did:

Looks like he used enamel camping mugs (and a canteen for a coolant recovery tank). Plastic mugs or food cans might also work.

Old May 17th, 2014, 08:57 AM   #18
abandonhope16
ninjette.org member

I ended up getting a round headlight, brackets, signals and mirrors. I believe the light is 6.5 inches. I'm going to see what I can do with the stock cluster. I may incorporate a fly screen if it comes to that. I tried to get the gauge bezel from blue collar bobbers, but they won't sell it on its own. Hopefully I'll have it all together soon and can post a pic.

Old June 10th, 2014, 06:33 AM   #19
abandonhope16
ninjette.org member

Hi again everybody - So I began undertaking this change to fairing-less. I have a problem though. The fork is supposed to be 36mm, correct? I bought the following and I had a lot of difficulty getting it on. It seemed one slot was too small and the hole to screw the pieces together wouldnt line up and the other slot required me to bend the bracket. I managed to get it on but realized on my AM ride that the little notch things slipped out of their respective slots. It still seemed to hold fairly solidly, but I can't leave it like that.
I will point out that I placed mine the opposite direction of chicagobob. Where his is mounted towards the top of the fork and pointing down, mine is right above the midsection and pointing up. Maybe I received the wrong bracket?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-36mm-H...item233074e7f7

Old June 10th, 2014, 10:28 AM   #20
hungryweevil
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2006 EX500

@Chicagobob What kind of bars are those?
hungryweevil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2014, 10:59 AM   #21
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hungryweevil View Post
@Chicagobob What kind of bars are those?
Renthal Ultra Low. It is a thick-walled aluminum bar that is lightweight, strong, and absorbs vibration well enough that bar-end weights aren't needed. Renthal offers 7"8 bars in several different bends and colors. Many are available on Amazon.com. They cost about $60, though.

Old June 11th, 2014, 03:03 PM   #22
ds650rida
ninjette.org member

Name: rich

Motorcycle(s): 636 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by abandonhope16 View Post
Hi again everybody - So I began undertaking this change to fairing-less. I have a problem though. The fork is supposed to be 36mm, correct? I bought the following and I had a lot of difficulty getting it on. It seemed one slot was too small and the hole to screw the pieces together wouldnt line up and the other slot required me to bend the bracket. I managed to get it on but realized on my AM ride that the little notch things slipped out of their respective slots. It still seemed to hold fairly solidly, but I can't leave it like that.
I will point out that I placed mine the opposite direction of chicagobob. Where his is mounted towards the top of the fork and pointing down, mine is right above the midsection and pointing up. Maybe I received the wrong bracket?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-36mm-H...item233074e7f7
I purchased the same ones and had to tweak them a fair amount. The tabs look like they're holding on for dear life but has survived 200+ miles and 1 fall so far as u can see below.

ds650rida is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2014, 06:48 PM   #23
LordRahl007
That one guy

Name: Benjamin

Motorcycle(s): Green 2002 Ninja 250

New here, but I'll get to the introduction a little later. Right now looking for some help.

Anyone doing this mod, do you still have the stock headlight bracket? I just started this one but don't have a replacement headlight or instrument cluster yet, so for now I'm gonna use the stock setup, but the bottom of my bracket is broken from the previous owner having laid it down. The top bolt still holds it in place, but without the cowling as support I don't want to rely on the top part holding the whole thing by itself. It's pretty expensive new, so much so that might as well wait until I have a headlight setup. But in the mean time, if anyone has their stock bracket left over that I could get for cheaper I'd rather do that for now.
LordRahl007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2014, 07:40 AM   #24
peterpayne
ninjette.org member

Name: Pedro

Motorcycle(s): Pregen body with a newgen engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagobob View Post
Renthal Ultra Low. It is a thick-walled aluminum bar that is lightweight, strong, and absorbs vibration well enough that bar-end weights aren't needed. Renthal offers 7"8 bars in several different bends and colors. Many are available on Amazon.com. They cost about $60, though.
Maybe super easy but how would I go about installing this bar on a ninjette?
peterpayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2014, 07:54 AM   #25
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterpayne View Post
Maybe super easy but how would I go about installing this bar on a ninjette?
You have to find bar risers from somewhere. The Renthal bar is the usual 7/8" diameter, but some risers are designed for 1" diameter bars, so watch the specs when you buy. I used universal risers I got from Amazon, but a set from any other bike with bolt-on risers (like the '09-'11 Ninja 650r) would also work. Then you have to drill through the top triple (very soft metal, but be sure to locate the holes so you have room for washers and nuts underneath).

The Amazon risers I used are at
http://www.amazon.com/Universial-Mot...ndlebar+risers

I've often wished someone would make risers that bolt to the stock clip-on holes, but no luck there yet.

Old July 25th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #26
M42
Wrench wench

Name: The Stigette

Motorcycle(s): TWO HUNDRED FORTY EIGHT CUBIC CENTIMETERS (R.I.P.), SIX HUNDRED FORTY FIVE CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Hey @Chicagobob, I love your bike! It's one of my fave naked ninjettes. What's the setup you have on the tail light? Did you fabricate a mount for an aftermarket light? It's the only thing I can't figure out.

Also, how do you like the renthal bars? How's it change the handling?

Old July 25th, 2014, 10:30 AM   #27
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by M42 View Post
Hey @Chicagobob, I love your bike! It's one of my fave naked ninjettes. What's the setup you have on the tail light? Did you fabricate a mount for an aftermarket light? It's the only thing I can't figure out.

Also, how do you like the renthal bars? How's it change the handling?
We fabbed a sheet aluminum mount for the aftermarket LED taillight, and also one to hide the white plastic seat bottom (see my posts about the build for details).

The bars are very comfortable. They make the steering feel lighter, due to the increase in leverage. There's no hint of shake at high speeds, as sometimes happens when you widen the control area like that.

Our prime purpose in adding the bars was to lighten the front end (only a little, because the risers were heavy) and allow it to be lowered, to match a lowered rear suspension. The bike is ridden by a teenage girl, so a low seat is a benefit.

Old December 9th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #28
drewsley
ninjette.org member

Name: andrew

Motorcycle(s): 89 Ninja 250

@Chicagobob how do you attach the side cover? And where did you attach the springs for the seat release? Any wire tucking? If so where did you hide them?
drewsley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 10th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #29
Chicagobob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsley View Post
@Chicagobob how do you attach the side cover? And where did you attach the springs for the seat release? Any wire tucking? If so where did you hide them?
The side cover is held on with its usual bolt. It's painted flat black, so it's hard to see in the photos. The seat is held with a bolt through the fender, with a wingnut underneath. See https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=117501 for details. We moved some wiring around, but it wasn't too difficult. Relocated the R/R and the ECU, which have long enough leads to allow a lot of leeway in deciding where to put them.