Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old October 26th, 2012, 10:24 AM   #1
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 (Black)

Hello from Arizona!

Hey all,

I'm Chris! I've never ridden before but I have a MSF course already scheduled for November 15 and 17th. I'm really excited to start this adventure. I've been reading and watching a ton of videos trying to learn all I can by myself to get ahead of the game. As far as bikes go I'm really looking at the Ninja 300 with ABS. I realize a lot of people will say it's easily outgrown, but I can't really see the need for something over 300cc (at least for myself). I'm not going to be racing or anything, just commuting, and having fun on the streets getting from point A to point B. I'm brand new so I was going to get either the 250r or the CBR250, but when the 300 came out I was pretty much sold. I went to a dealer a few days ago to sit on both bikes and they seem to fit really well.

I'm looking to learn and have fun! Been reading this forum and others in doing my research and figured I might as well create an account to post questions and what-not. Thanks!
ChrisCusi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Welcome to the site, Chris !!

You are lucky enough attending a course that hopefully will teach you basic survival skills......

Fair weather and good instructors is what I wish for you.

I wouldn't recommend starting your adventure in a new bike, because you will make mistakes that will damage that bike.

Any pre-owned 250 will teach you the basics and will cost you much less.

Check this video out:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110405

My best!
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2012, 11:49 AM   #3
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Welcome, my friend.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2012, 11:58 AM   #4
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Welcome to the site, Chris !!

You are lucky enough attending a course that hopefully will teach you basic survival skills......

Fair weather and good instructors is what I wish for you.

I wouldn't recommend starting your adventure in a new bike, because you will make mistakes that will damage that bike.

Any pre-owned 250 will teach you the basics and will cost you much less.

Check this video out:

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110405

My best!
Thanks for the advice. I've thought about it, but the 300 seems to be more forgiving for learners. And I like the added comfort of having ABS just in case I freak and grab too much break too fast in a panic. Thoughts?

Old October 26th, 2012, 12:22 PM   #5
hitchpgh35
ninjette.org member

Name: Duane

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 *Full Yoshi Exhaust *Dino Jet Kit Stage2 * Diablo Pirelli Rosso II 140/17/70

Enjoy... I live in Phoenix, Az and i went through the Motorcycle training class. It was a great class, it will teach you the basic but it wont teach you is the riding skills you will need in the day to day traffic. I believe the fastest i went in that class was about 10mpg... But learn the basics then get out there and ride... thats the best experience you will get..

have fun.. ride safe

2012 Ninja 250
2006 Honda CBR
hitchpgh35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2012, 12:26 PM   #6
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchpgh35 View Post
Enjoy... I live in Phoenix, Az and i went through the Motorcycle training class. It was a great class, it will teach you the basic but it wont teach you is the riding skills you will need in the day to day traffic. I believe the fastest i went in that class was about 10mpg... But learn the basics then get out there and ride... thats the best experience you will get..

have fun.. ride safe

2012 Ninja 250
2006 Honda CBR
Phx - awesome! Just curious... which class did you take? I'm signed up with RideSmart.

Old October 26th, 2012, 12:29 PM   #7
hitchpgh35
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250 *Full Yoshi Exhaust *Dino Jet Kit Stage2 * Diablo Pirelli Rosso II 140/17/70

Chris..

I took it 2 years ago and It was in Gilbert.. I took the 2 day weekend course and it was the T.E.A.M Arizona Motorcycle Training Course.. Great class

Old October 26th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #8
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Ah I looked into them but found this scheduling to work better. Hopefully mine will prove to be great as well.

Old October 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisCusi View Post
.........Thoughts?
You are welcome.

It is a valid approach, if money is abundant.

Two more links:

http://www.msgroup.org/Articles.aspx?Cat=1

http://www.msgroup.org/Articles.aspx?Cat=10
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2012, 12:36 PM   #10
hitchpgh35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Ah I looked into them but found this scheduling to work better. Hopefully mine will prove to be great as well.
I assume both will be educational. I'm 41 years old and started riding about 2 years ago... I've always wanted a bike but the wifey didnt want me too.. long story lol. But i rode the CBR 600rr for my first bike. I had it for about 5 months but had to sell it to use the money as a down payment for my house. Now 2 years later.. I got a brand new 2012 250 because i wanted a newer bike and didnt want to take on someone problems. I"m like you.. i use it to commute.. and enjoy the rides on the weekends.. I'm not like some of the guys that want to go 140 on the high way.. I think the fastes i went was 85 and that was fast enough for me legally.. Enjoy your class my friend..

Old October 26th, 2012, 02:14 PM   #11
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Thank you. Haha I'm also having trouble convincing loved ones to be okay with me wanting (and ultimately having) a motorcycle. And I'm the same way... Not in my nature to go crazy. Rarely ever go faster than 5 over.

Old October 26th, 2012, 02:39 PM   #12
Little Green Machine
Love my kittehs!

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE

Hey Chris, welcome to the idea of riding, and make sure you get all the gear you will need to stay safe on the roads as well as keep from getting burned by our hot-assed streets in the summer! I too live in the Phoenix area and you can send me a friend request when ever you want!

Old October 26th, 2012, 03:40 PM   #13
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Oh wow this is awesome find other people from the same area on here! Once I get my bike maybe we can meet up sometime? And I will definitely be gearing up.

One thing to ask.... a guy at a dealership I went to was telling me it's not necessary to get ABS on a bike so small... I've read the ABS vs no ABS thread already.. I still feel like it can't hurt to have it..... Dealer kind of made it seem like a bad idea or at least like I'd be wasting money. What do you think?

Old October 26th, 2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ABS isn't a bad idea, or a waste of money. But hundreds of thousands of ninjette riders over the past 20+ years have survived without having it available as well, so it would be hard to justify it as a necessity either. I would have ordered it on mine, but I both didn't want to wait until they became available, and wasn't a fan of the SE paint scheme. YMMV.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #15
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

That's definitely a good point Alex haha. It's a real tough decision... I would feel safer with it, but that might just be because I don't have any experience on a bike. Maybe after the MSF course I'll have a better feel for it. And then I can also pick my instructors minds. Oh and I on the other hand really like the SE paint scheme. That being said however, the white just looks so clean.

Old October 26th, 2012, 04:31 PM   #16
Advincula
New Rider

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Welcome!

Quote:
Phx - awesome! Just curious... which class did you take? I'm signed up with RideSmart.
Welcome Chris!! Just you so you know, I took my classes with RideSmart! So you're set up for a good experience The instructors are very knowledgeable, and have a good sense of humor, so they might poke fun at you here and there. My instructor was Eric, I believe.

A point of advice: the written/classroom part of the classes go by pretty fast. They kinda skim over the reading material, so I'd advise you to take the book home and read it through at least once or twice to get a good understanding of the super basic material.

Second day is a lot of slow practicing with the bike. Your first day's class will get split into two groups, for two different times in the day. Pretty simple, just stop/go, friction zone control, and throttle control.

Third day is test day. They'll tell you to run through each test multiple times, and grade you randomly.

Hope this helps; I know I was sort of unprepared for the speed of the first day. Enjoy!

Also, I'm on the west side in Avondale, so add me up and if you need anything, I'll see what I can do!

Old October 26th, 2012, 04:39 PM   #17
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Excellent news! Thanks for the help! I'm actually taking their two day class option but I'm sure it's the same thing just different timing. I'll be sure to study up. Is there anything I can read before the class to get me ahead? Like is the test an AZ MVD test so I should ready the MVD manual? Thanks again!

Old October 26th, 2012, 05:55 PM   #18
Advincula
New Rider

Well actually if you pass the MSF course you get an automatic endorsement and insurance discount. But a good way to pass the written test is just ask yourself on every question, "What's the safest answer?" and you can't go wrong lol. There's like 50 questions I believe, ranging from drinking and driving to looking through a turn.

But for reading material, the reading booklet they give you at the door is adequate enough. I've been reading Total Control by Lee Parks; it caters to advanced and racing riders, but the techniques and physics are explained in a way that it helps beginning riders, especially if you have a passion for science like I have.

Hope it helps!

Old October 26th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #19
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Thanks. Yeah I meant looking at the mvd book before I start the class to prepare myself ahead of time. Sure couldn't hurt - looks to have good information. Also sounds like I won't have a problem with the written, and I appreciate the book suggestion!

Old October 26th, 2012, 06:03 PM   #20
Advincula
New Rider

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah I meant looking at the mvd book before I start the class to prepare myself ahead of time. Sure couldn't hurt - looks to have good information. Also sounds like I won't have a problem with the written, and I appreciate the book suggestion!
Oh haha sorry bout the misunderstanding; I never looked at the mvd booklet before the MSF course, and I was green as grass going into the MSF course.

Old October 26th, 2012, 08:32 PM   #21
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 2013 White Ninja 300

Welcome Chris!!

Doing the practice test on the MSF website will also assist in the classroom test. Our instructor gave out something for the first two people to score 100% You probably already found this but MSF BRC Handbook -

http://msf-usa.org/CurriculumMateria...ndbook2011.pdf

Additional safety features are always a plus - glad you did homework and set expectations for yourself
Byakkotai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 26th, 2012, 09:01 PM   #22
pghninja2166
ninjette.org newbie

Name: bill

Motorcycle(s): ninja 250r white se

Welcome Chris,
I'm a new rider also and from my experience taking the class is a must and you will enjoy it, hopefully its free (in pa it is) but I have read where you have to pay for it in other states. You will learn riding skills but your gonna have to practice. I also was sold on the new 300 but after talking to a lot of riders and friends and they suggested I get used because its just a matter of time before you dump it or drop it and it is alot cheaper to fix, and you can pick up a used bike fairly cheap and when you get experience you can sell it to another beginner.

so good luck and be safe.

Bill
(pittsburgh, pa)
pghninja2166 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 27th, 2012, 12:52 PM   #23
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Old October 29th, 2012, 12:29 AM   #24
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2012, 04:49 AM   #25
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Chris!

A good instructor makes putting 30 miles on a bike in a parking lot a lot more fun than it already will be. My instructors joked around with us and he kept track of how long each riders turn signals where lit (without telling us). At the end of the course, the person who had their signals on the longest, got the "grandpa award" and a free helmet! I hope your experience was as good as mine.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2012, 11:54 PM   #26
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Thanks! I too hope to get a great experience at class. I'm greatly looking forward to it.

Old October 30th, 2012, 03:02 PM   #27
RockyCapone
ninjette.org member

Name: Rocky

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

Welcome

Old October 30th, 2012, 10:41 PM   #28
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Hey thanks! Question for whoever will see this.... Does the color of the bike have a big influence on safety as far as visibility goes? Question being... would a black bike be less noticeable than say a black and green one?

Old October 30th, 2012, 11:28 PM   #29
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Black is frequently offered choice as far as bike colors go. It's much more neutral than Kawi Green for sure. Haven't seen people complaining about their bike color being being a safety issue (or maybe I'm full of forum search fail). Some people just won't see you no matter how visible you try to be

Bottom line - get whatever color appeals to you

Old October 31st, 2012, 12:05 PM   #30
KillerTofu
ninjette.org member

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (sold), 2006 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Hey thanks! Question for whoever will see this.... Does the color of the bike have a big influence on safety as far as visibility goes? Question being... would a black bike be less noticeable than say a black and green one?
I think color would help but for the past month of riding around I feel my exhaust has been the best way to get peoples attention. Mostly when i'm either riding next to a car or pulling up to pass a car since so many people don't like looking over their shoulder to check their blind spot. People will only see what's in front of them but sound will come from all directions. I agree with the other guy...get the color that makes you happy.

Old November 1st, 2012, 10:29 AM   #31
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Thanks guys. Come to think of it the color probably is minimal to visibility because the profile is so thin. Especially at night... all you're gonna see is the headlights. I suppose the jacket and helmet would be more conducive to ensuring (or at least contributing to) your being seen. The question then becomes which color do I like more......

Old November 1st, 2012, 11:13 AM   #32
hitchpgh35
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Hey Chris I like my red/black ninja because i really stand out when i'm riding my bike. But again go with the color you like because you will be the one riding it not us. Take in everyone's opinion but keep in mind that ultimately you will be the rider.. Drive safe my friend and enjoy the class..

2012 Ninja 250
Full Yoshi Exaust
Dino Kit- Stage 2
Pirelli Diablo Rosso II 140/17/70

Old November 1st, 2012, 05:01 PM   #33
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Thanks man.

Old November 10th, 2012, 04:30 AM   #34
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 16th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #35
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Had the classroom portion of my MSF class last night. Learning good stuff and the instructor is awesome. Written test was too easy... 98%. Can't wait for on the bike time all day Saturday!

Old November 17th, 2012, 07:02 PM   #36
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Completed the course today! 10 hours of riding and oh my God was that fun! Also learned a bunch about not only riding (and safely) but also what I want in a motorcycle. Panic breaking isn't as hard or as much of a goliath as I once believed. My body feels somewhat dead though.... Not used to it haha. Best $240 I've ever spent.

Old November 17th, 2012, 07:05 PM   #37
Byakkotai
ninjette.org guru

Congrats! Licensing is next or you already have that covered as well?

Old November 17th, 2012, 07:19 PM   #38
ChrisCusi
ninjette.org member

Thank you I just gotta find the time to take my card into the DMV. And wait. For at least an hour.