ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old July 12th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #1
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Tippy Toes

I plan on getting a Ninja soon, and I really wished I could flat foot on my first bike, but I juuuuust can't quite on Ninja's. I'm somewhere between my tippy toes and the balls of my feet, just a few inches short.

When coming to a stop, is there a specific technique to do so I don't drop the bike? Do I slow with both feet out, tip toeing on both? Or do I just put my left foot out?

The LAST thing I want to do is drop a bike at a stop light, or even drop one that I'm test riding from a craigslist seller
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 09:51 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yes, there is a skill to do that.

Right before you stop, turn the bars to the right a lil bit and the bike will fall to the left. Your body weight can affect this too, so it's not a 100% thing. You can get the feel for it pretty easy though.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 12th, 2013, 10:22 AM   #3
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Pick a side to stop on and only put that foot down. You can lean off the seat a little to plant your foot more firmly on the ground.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 10:23 AM   #4
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Don't know if your planing on lowering the bike but i put roaring toys lowering links and the blocks fro the front on mine. I also just put a zx600 rear shock off a 87 on my bike. I'm 5'1" and can get the balls of my feet on the ground now. And i still have 2 more holes i can go down on the links.
My bike is a 2012. I don't know if the 300 has the same shock, just haven't done the research yet, but if it is i would guess that the zx600 shock would work on that too.

Anyway, thats my
Good luck with whatever you get!
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5
fr1dayn1ght
ninjette.org member

Name: Binh

Motorcycle(s): '07 Ninja 250 (sold), 2013 CB500F

I can flat foot on a ninja but only if 1 leg out at a stop, if both legs out then i will tip toe on both feet. I used to think like you that I need to flat foot on my first bike, but now after 2 months Im perfectly fine with tip toe really
I use my left foot down so the bike will lean a bit to the left, lately I have been putting both leg out when stopping because I just felt like doing it and I have never dropped my bike at a stoplight like this
fr1dayn1ght is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #6
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Pick a point where you want to stop & can put your left foot down cleanly. bring it to a stop on the rear brake (to avoid having the front dip) and when it's below walking pace put your left foot out & push the left bar
Same principle as countersteering the bike will fall to the left
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:10 AM   #7
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

My problem with tippy toes was when i'm trying to park. You have no room for error if you slip on a stick or something.....

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #8
rasta
Your face

Alright, those tips make total sense. Thanks!

As far as lowering the bike is concerned, I'm worried about the effect that has on the bike's geometry. I know it changes the bike's cornering. But the question is....does it only effect the most extreme cornering? Since this would be my first bike, I probably won't be cornering too many canyons. So I won't be maneuvering the bike in a manner that will would be effected by adding links, right? Is my thinking correct? I have so much to learn..

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:12 AM   #9
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
My problem with tippy toes was when i'm trying to park. You have no room for error if you slip on a stick or something.....
I just get off the bike and walk it.

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #10
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

I have no problem with maneuverability or anything. The only thing to keep in mind is to lower the front and back evenly. I learned this the hard way....
When i lowered my bike the first time we just dropped the back. I think this is part of why I dropped my bike at a gas station. we dropped the front and it fixed that.
it took some adjusting but i have no problems. The bike responds very well. Not sluggish at all.
I can rave more after i go riding this weekend with the new shock.

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:22 AM   #11
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
I just get off the bike and walk it.
true, but that's the easy way out!

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #12
rasta
Your face

Quote:
I have no problem with maneuverability or anything. The only thing to keep in mind is to lower the front and back evenly. I learned this the hard way....
When i lowered my bike the first time we just dropped the back. I think this is part of why I dropped my bike at a gas station. we dropped the front and it fixed that.
it took some adjusting but i have no problems. The bike responds very well. Not sluggish at all.
I can rave more after i go riding this weekend with the new shock.
How much did that cost you? (including labor if you didn't do it yourself)

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #13
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
Quote:
true, but that's the easy way out!
Less embarrassing than dropping the bike or looking silly while unsuccessfully trying to move the bike!

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:38 AM   #14
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Alright, those tips make total sense. Thanks!

As far as lowering the bike is concerned, I'm worried about the effect that has on the bike's geometry. I know it changes the bike's cornering. But the question is....does it only effect the most extreme cornering? Since this would be my first bike, I probably won't be cornering too many canyons. So I won't be maneuvering the bike in a manner that will would be effected by adding links, right? Is my thinking correct? I have so much to learn..
As a new rider, you will notice nothing.
As you get better you may notice a handling different between a lowered bike vs a non lowered bike.
As a track rider, you will need the ground clearance.
As a racer, you will think of ways to get more ground clearance than stock.

Simple as that...

Lower it if gains you confidence, then do it and raise it as your skills grow. The only real downside is ground clearance in an emergency situation. You may not have the lean that you need but then again... most n00bs do no lean it to max anyway. Even in an emergency situation. No offence.

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:45 AM   #15
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

The shock i picked up on e-bay for $56 shipped. Just have to look for one in good shape. Here's the article we went off of: http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Installing_a_ZX600_shock

They say to use 15wt oil but we put 10wt and its good.

The links and blocks i found on amazon, the links are around $40, the blocks $60.
Don't get the matching kickstand unless your dropping the bike as far as the links allow. you can get adjustable ones if necessary. It will lean the bike to far over. My boyfriend made a custom one for me

He also did all the work. Its fairly easy if you have some talent with a wrench but i wouldn't know what a shop would charge.

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:48 AM   #16
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
Less embarrassing than dropping the bike or looking silly while unsuccessfully trying to move the bike!
Again true..... But my bike is a lowrider and i love it!

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:50 AM   #17
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
On thing I've taken to doing is pulling up to a stop light in the left hand groove made by the heavier trucks. It lowers my bike while giving me a higher surface on the left to put my foot down.

Downside to this though: if you park in the right groove, your foot ends up in the slime dropped from the cars. The sensor in the lane most likely won't pick you up. Sometime the asphalt is so warped from the trucks, it's really really rough in there.

I've never been able to flat foot on both sides. With my boots, I'm on the balls of my feet or tip toes depending on how I'm sitting when I stop. If I need to flat foot I just lean the bike slightly to the left and drop my foot down.

Re: Parking. I read a great bit of advice that I have used ever since. You choose your parking place. If everyone else is parking on a slope, park somewhere else. If you have to circle the lot a few times to find the spot that makes it where you can safely control your bike, so be it. I love finding those spots I can either pull straight through, or use a neighboring space to u-turn in and park so I'm pointing out.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 12th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #18
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
Re: Parking. I read a great bit of advice that I have used ever since. You choose your parking place. If everyone else is parking on a slope, park somewhere else. If you have to circle the lot a few times to find the spot that makes it where you can safely control your bike, so be it. I love finding those spots I can either pull straight through, or use a neighboring space to u-turn in and park so I'm pointing out.
I'll do this too.

Old July 12th, 2013, 11:56 AM   #19
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Quote:
On thing I've taken to doing is pulling up to a stop light in the left hand groove made by the heavier trucks. It lowers my bike while giving me a higher surface on the left to put my foot down.

Downside to this though: if you park in the right groove, your foot ends up in the slime dropped from the cars. The sensor in the lane most likely won't pick you up. Sometime the asphalt is so warped from the trucks, it's really really rough in there.

I've never been able to flat foot on both sides. With my boots, I'm on the balls of my feet or tip toes depending on how I'm sitting when I stop. If I need to flat foot I just lean the bike slightly to the left and drop my foot down.

Dat's experience talkin' right der.

Old July 12th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #20
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Guess I take for granted being able to flat foot both feet on any bike (with room to spare). I have seen people at stop lights moving front wheel side to side to balance for the entire light so that they don't have to put legs down. I can do this for a few seconds but not a whole light.
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #21
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
Guess I take for granted being able to flat foot both feet on any bike (with room to spare).
On behalf of all of us who have to look at the "seat height" column of the bike specs first...

Old July 12th, 2013, 12:20 PM   #22
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Quote:
On behalf of all of us who have to look at the "seat height" column of the bike specs first...

lol, sorry guys
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #23
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
How tall is you?

If you're shorter than @CycleCam303 then maybe you should get a scooter
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 12:55 PM   #24
CycleCam303
King Hamfist

Name: Cameron

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Crf 150R, 2011 Hypermotard 796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
How tall is you?

If you're shorter than @CycleCam303 then maybe you should get a scooter
Ain't that the truth. I'm pro at being a midget rider. The ninja 250 is plenty short and the seat isn't wide so it's pretty easy to slide off to firmly plant a foot. I generally use my left foot at a stop but I choose based off of terrain and road angle. But on the ninjette I can get away with two tip toes on either side.

Go to the dealer and start sitting on stuff. That will help your confidence.
CycleCam303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 01:24 PM   #25
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

munchkins like riding too!!

Old July 12th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #26
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

I am barely 5' 1" with my riding boots on; I tippy toe when I stand my bike upright - always have, always will because I refuse to lower it. When I stop, I put my left foot out/down and tip the bike slightly to the left while keeping my right foot on the peg and rear brake.

I'm also a very new rider and my Ninja 300 is my first bike. One of the first things I parking lot practiced after getting my bike was stopping - both controlled and short stops. I did it over and over until I felt comfortable doing it on the road. Now I have no problem stopping for traffic lights, stop signs, and idiots drivers when necessary.

You'll practice and come up with a variation that works for you. We're short, we've been inventing ways to deal with the height issue for years!

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 02:01 PM   #27
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Yes, there is a skill to do that.

Right before you stop, turn the bars to the right a lil bit and the bike will fall to the left. Your body weight can affect this too, so it's not a 100% thing. You can get the feel for it pretty easy though.
This worked for me when I first started riding on the GSXR. The front wheel kind of trips over itself.

Definitely practice switching feet. Push down on your ground foot and give yourself some momentum to rotate over the top, then put your other foot down and land on it. Practice generates confidence.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #28
This Girl Rides
Girly Gearhead <3

Name: Brittany

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 300

I ride at stock height, i'm 5'3".

I'm up on the balls of my feet but I feel stable enough to control my bike, main thing is finding your comfort zone. Maybe some nice riding boots with a thick sole could help?

". . .No, it's not his. Care to demonstrate your ignorance again?"
This Girl Rides is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 02:23 PM   #29
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I'm 5'4" which is on the tall side of short. So, you can see @rasta, It just takes patience with yourself and practice with the bike to manage our little Ninjettes when you're short.

When you go to test the CL bikes, since you don't have much/any riding experience (?), try duck walking it lightly up and down the street to get the feel for the bikes balance, then switch to easy and slow rides with your feet up. That's what I did when I test rode before buying mine. Just a few laps of the street to make sure the newgen style still fit me and I could maneuver easily.

Old July 12th, 2013, 02:36 PM   #30
Lychee
sail away

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): gixxer (sold), ninjette (upgrade!)

Dang... 5 short girls telling the OP to man up.... Yep. There are a few femme fetales on this site.
Lychee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 03:01 PM   #31
Aggrotech
ninjette.org sage

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 12' Ninja 250

just adjust your ass ever so slightly to whichever side you're comfortable with before you stop. that'll give you that extra lttle inch you need to not tip over.

example ur coming to a light and ur comfortable with ur left foot down..before you stop simply adjust ur ass an inch or 2 to the left before making the stop. should definitely help.
Aggrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 12th, 2013, 03:09 PM   #32
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
Guess I take for granted being able to flat foot both feet on any bike (with room to spare).
+1
Thank god (or genetics) for being almost 6'3, so I can flat foot with my knees bent.

Old July 12th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #33
rasta
Your face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
Dang... 5 short girls telling the OP to man up.... Yep. There are a few femme fetales on this site.

So I just test rode the Ninja, and we can all calm down now lol. Starting and stopping was really no trouble at all. I just had a mental block thinking I might stall it than be screwed if I couldn't flat foot. But it turns out, it wasn't a problem.

Old July 12th, 2013, 03:37 PM   #34
Driddle
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Quote:

So I just test rode the Ninja, and we can all calm down now lol. Starting and stopping was really no trouble at all. I just had a mental block thinking I might stall it than be screwed if I couldn't flat foot. But it turns out, it wasn't a problem.
Well look at that! There was no need to worry at all

Old July 12th, 2013, 03:40 PM   #35
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lychee View Post
Naw, just five short gals offering advice on how we've made it work and what you need to do different if you've got the legs of a Pomeranian. No manning up needed or intended, just experiences being shared.

Quote:

Yay! Congrats on the purchase!! Mental blocks suck and life is epic once experience teaches you they were only holding you back. Can't wait to see pictures!

Old July 12th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #36
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Nice! good luck!

On a side not, a riders overall height don't necessarily = the stand-over height. another chick that's 5'1" may still have a taller stand-over and not have to lower the bike like i did.
Lowering a bike to make it rideable is not a "bad" thing. Its still working with what you got. Unfortunately i was not blessed with long legs. I'm stubby all around!

Old July 20th, 2013, 04:42 AM   #37
funky_beatz
ninjette.org member

Name: funky_beatz

Motorcycle(s): 2003 kawasaki 250 ninja aka: elphaba

I am 5' with an inseam of 27" - when I stop, I shift my but to the left & put that foot down while i cover my rear brake with my right. Keeping my right foot on the rear brake was drilled into us at the MSF beginner coarse (as we were always told to stay in gear at stops and lights & keep that foot on the brake).
As for "backing up" the bike, I will either shift myself to one side of the seat so I can touch the ground better and push it back OR if not, I have no qualms about getting off and walking the bike back then getting back on.
At first I would feel a bit embarrassed, (being so short I had to get off the bike to back it up) but the more I ride, the more fun I have and the less I care what others have to say (if its negative)
funky_beatz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 05:25 AM   #38
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
When you're out on the road make sure you pay attention to where your foot is going to wind up. Since you're not firmly planted on the ground a slip is more likely to cause a tip over.

Watch for broken pavement, sand, gravel etc.

Also, use the crown of the road to your advantage. Put your foot down on the uphill side (left side if on the road, but in a parking lot it can be either side).

I rode with a forum member who shall remain nameless a couple of months ago and he dropped his near-new Ninja 1000 with his GF on the back because we'd pulled into a sloped parking area and he put his downhill foot down.

As a side note, if you plan on changing the ergos of your bike (clip ons/rearsets) you'll find that rearsets help with your reach to the ground. The stock pegs force you to put your leg out farther. With the peg moved back you can put your leg in front of it.

Not that any of this is worth fussing over. I've heard it said many many times that you don't need to get your feet firmly on the ground… always from people who don't know what it's like to not be able to.

PS: I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam, which puts me in questionable territory for larger sport bikes. Yamahas are out of the question for me. Hondas marginal. Suzukis fit me like a glove.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2013, 06:30 AM   #39
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
As a side note, if you plan on changing the ergos of your bike (clip ons/rearsets) you'll find that rearsets help with your reach to the ground. The stock pegs force you to put your leg out farther. With the peg moved back you can put your leg in front of it.
Hmm, i think i have to try this.....

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...

Old July 20th, 2013, 07:57 AM   #40
Rogue
Hooligan

Name: Robin

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja EX300

Quote:
Hmm, i think i have to try this.....
I was just thinking the same thing. I'm going to have someone hold in my pegs and see how much it helps. If it improves my reach, I'll definitely be investing in a pair of rearsets.

Qui patiens est, teres. Teres est, ieiunare. | Twitter: @Rogue_300
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote