Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
those trampolines are dangerous!

Old July 16th, 2014, 11:42 PM   #402
ninjakuma
Stunts Extraodinar

Name: Ninjakuma

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Ninja 250

On my way home from that day a large portion of my thoughts were focused on how I'm never skipping gear again lol

Old July 17th, 2014, 12:34 AM   #403
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

I went around the block in sneakers, shorts and t-shirt (but with gloves) to feel the power of the squid just once recently, oh man super uncomfortable sensation.
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 02:12 AM   #404
DailyFloridaRider
Open air 24/7-365

Name: Keith

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250 (daily rider), ATK 250 desert racer, Ninja 1000, Shadow 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
i have a few points to make but i want to preface them... first of all keep in mind i'm over my limit in the booze dept. anyway, i see you live in florida so keep in mind i live in southern california. my commute on bike was over 120 miles a day splitting through bumper to bumper traffic for awhile. (much smaller now though... i live close to work... now i get 5 miles of solid construction traffic for 30 minutes... what the hell!) i also can look fancy hanging my butt off at the race track pretending to be rossi and scratching up my stupid sliders i paid too much for. ($15 is too much. anyway i have not raced in a couple seasons because i just don't have the money for it right now) though i did really enjoy visiting jennings gp in florida. boy was that fun earlier this year. anyway, on to my points...

point 1: i'll call you a squid to your face. because you are a squid, sir. it's okay. lots of us are squids. i too am often a squid in many ways. the first step to rehabilitation is accepting the truth.

point 2: let me ask you how your skill will save you on a two lane road that's under construction so it has those barricades on the sides and a car in the opposite lane has a tire blow-out from some piece of construction debris and hits another car and they all spin into your lane hitting the cars in front of you creating a barricade with no possible way around about 35 feet in front of you all quickly skidding toward you. (it's a trick question- there's no way out, you get hit by the cars even if you were able to stop in time, which in this scenario you actually can't)

point 3: under the above circumstances, what would be different simply by wearing a helmet?

i will answer #3 for you. the answer is death. you are astonishingly less likely to be mortally wounded by bashing your skull open and displaying your brains on the road for all to see simply by wearing a real helmet. which surprisingly makes riding much easier and more enjoyable. i'm sure you have taken your fair share of rocks, bugs, trash, cigarette butts, bird ****, drinks thrown out of peoples cars, debris from cars crashing into each other right next to you... i know i have taken many of each of those directly to the face. boy, this one time i was on the freeway at night going through construction and this ****ing idiot doesn't even see the construction and decides not to brake. so i jumped in between the two lanes and the guy plowed into the car, ejecting the cars brake light at me. lots of debris in my face. though mostly it hit my leg. ****ing idiots, right? thinking about having a bunch of glass and plastic hit my face, even with gogs and a face sock... yeah, that sounds pleasant. you would have to be stupid. not that i'm calling you stupid. i'm simply calling your choice to go out on public roads with those ****ing idiots with no helmet stupid. and jesus you live in florida. i have seen some terrible car drivers around. but florida has some real ****. they should give an award to florida for some of those assholes.

but it's cool. live and let live. you riding with no helmet honestly doesn't effect me so if you enjoy the rocks to the face, power to ya. chicks dig scars. i crash a lot so maybe i'm biased towards wearing my "fancy gear". though i personally don't ride in groups because most other riders honestly scare the **** out of me. i only really ride with a few girls who know what they're doing.
Positioning positioning positioning. Thats how I keep from getting squished and wearing others lunch on my face. Yes, I've had a pebble or 2. Nothing that ever did any damage (not to say it couldn't happen) . Florida roads are always under construction and drivers suck. For years I had a 62 mile commute each way to work driving on I-4 under construction. I position myself accordingly to AVOID the inevitable. Just fyi, I've tried the helmet thing...I felt like I couldn't hear well and my perifial vision felt impaired. I don't point fingers at ATGATT riders. I don't care what anyone e wears. That was mostly my point as well. To each his own.
DailyFloridaRider is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old July 17th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #405
DailyFloridaRider
Open air 24/7-365

Motorcycle(s): 06 Ninja 250 (daily rider), ATK 250 desert racer, Ninja 1000, Shadow 600

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjakuma View Post
I think he l

You can choose to wear what you want and ride how you want, but that doesn't change the fact that you're squidding it up all of the place. Eww

Keep in mind that being "fearless" and being "reckless" are two different things. The very definition of reckless is lack of care for the consequences of ones actions. By choosing not to wear gear, clearly squids don't care about the ramifications of if they needed it. You can point at a rider going ATGATT and say all you want, but assuming they are riding normally they are being safe. You can point at a rider with only a helmet on and regardless of how "skilled" they are they are most definitely taking risks.

As a stunt performer who regularly hits the ground, safety is number one. I've cut and bruised myself up many times just from wrecking without being on a moving vehicle. With pads on. Many people who refuse to wear gear while riding are deluding themselves to what might happen if they did go down. Probably because they have never hit the ground very hard or that they just get into this complacent state of immortality. You'll be traveling fast enough to really **** **** up permanently. When my coworkers have riding meetups anyone without gear on is shamed on, as not only is it reckless in our occupation but shows a disregard for safety which doesn't look good when your job description is "Stunt and Safety".

Long story short, I will post photos and laugh about squids because they are squids it's fun spotting them. 40 years experience or not.
(BTW I was in my car because it's a little difficult to carry bottles of gatorade, beer, water, and other groceries on a bike, doesn't change th- SQUID!)

Great example of what I said above, recently worked with a guy who broke his leg completely in half, and I mean completely, blood, bone everything, landing wrong off a mini trampoline. It is likely you will experiences forces FAR in excess of what he did falling off a bike, and he was a professional athlete.
I never accidently walk in anywhere. Agree w ya....stunting without gear wouldnt make sense. You can take pics and laugh all day. Thanks for keeping your eyes on the road and "watching for bikers".

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:46 AM   #406
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250r "Pikachu", 2017 Ninja 650 "Epona"

MOTM - Aug '13, Aug '14, Feb '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyFloridaRider View Post
Positioning positioning positioning. Thats how I keep from getting squished and wearing others lunch on my face. Yes, I've had a pebble or 2. Nothing that ever did any damage (not to say it couldn't happen) . Florida roads are always under construction and drivers suck. For years I had a 62 mile commute each way to work driving on I-4 under construction. I position myself accordingly to AVOID the inevitable. Just fyi, I've tried the helmet thing...I felt like I couldn't hear well and my perifial vision felt impaired. I don't point fingers at ATGATT riders. I don't care what anyone e wears. That was mostly my point as well. To each his own.
Are you saying that every single crash is 100% avoidable for you?
And that a rider that IS in a wreck is just a bad rider?
Because that what it sounds like from your posts.

Raven's Rejuvenation
A bruise is a lesson... and each lesson makes us better...
LittleRedNinjette is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 04:58 AM   #407
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old July 17th, 2014, 05:26 AM   #408
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
I have a good friend who stopped wearing a helmet when he traded his sport bike for a cruiser. I don't ride with him anymore for two reasons.

One: I don't want to be there if he makes a mistake and they have to scrape his brains off the pavement like scrambled eggs from a frying pan.

Two: He drives like my Grandma now. I'm talking like 5-10 mph under the speed limit. The one time that I did ride with him it was really boring and I was always checking my mirrors to see if he was still alive.

I don't understand how anyone could ride without a helmet, but in the states where they aren't required it's everyone's own choice to make. After all we're all adults. Just don't expect me to feel sorry for you when you crack your head open like a coconut cause you're too cool to wear a helmet. @DailyFloridaRider
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 06:35 AM   #409
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
I don't care what other people wear for gear, do I think they are stupid for not wearing gear...yeah but why should they wear gear I mean after all they aren't planning on crashing right

Coming from the land of no helmets and no gear I am certainly in the minority. Part of people not wearing gear is they are simply not confident in themselves and are embarrassed, they don't like standing out and are worried they look silly who the **** cares? Or they make excuses. "well I am going to do (this) and don't want to have to wear my gear there, or carry it around" Well ok, as long as you are not planning on crashing that's fine

Again, I don't care what riders wear but not wearing gear does not make you bad ass it just shows your stupidity. So go, go ride, don't wear your gear, but when you go down I better not get a ****ing invite to your stupid ass benefit ride to help pay for your medical expenses because you were so god damn smart not to wear your gear in the first place that you were also smart enough to not wear your gear while having minimal to no insurance coverage

So again go ride, have a nice day, and by have a nice day I mean go **** yourself

(Disclaimer: the views and opinions expressed here do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of anyone on planet earth, said views and opinions are not directed at any particular person or persons that have names beginning with or ending with the letters A-Z, groups, clans, posies, gangs, with the exception of creatures that make up a part of the Phylum Mollusca, and Class Cephalapoda that often conjugate together to form shoals. Have a nice day)

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old July 17th, 2014, 06:58 AM   #410
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Just as an aside,

I wondered too about cops wearing cheesy polyester uniforms while on bikes (a la CHiPs) until I went to a motocop competition. Many of the officers had on actual moto gear styled to look like their uniform. The brand of overpants I wear even has a LEO version in black, blue, or green. Motoport makes gear specifically resembling "traditional" uniforms.

Many are also moving to 3/4 or modular helmets that I saw that day, with some brands being specifically made for LEOs.

A few agencies also had light jackets with armor that covered areas not protected by the vest they all have to wear under their shirt.

Its slow coming due to cost and "public perception" (whatever the hell that means) but more and more agencies are starting to protect their officers.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old July 17th, 2014, 07:33 AM   #411
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
i agree with you to a certain point. you can be in a crash regardless of how good you are. and getting hit by a car at highway speeds with no helmet means you're going to die by bashing your face into asphalt. if you don't think this is the case, you are in denial my friend. have fun dying on the street.

Old July 17th, 2014, 11:18 AM   #412
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Name: Bruce

Motorcycle(s): '14 Yamaha V-Star 650 Custom (silver)

Quote:
One thing I don't have the time for is judging other riders for their riding attire.
Hey, if we can't laugh at squids, who can we laugh at?

Old July 17th, 2014, 11:20 AM   #413
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Floridians.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old July 17th, 2014, 11:41 AM   #414
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
one time i was riding along and a bird dive-bombed my head. the bird died. he almost knocked me out. i was definitely dazed and almost came off the bike. keep in mind that is through a helmet. if he had done that to me with no helmet i would have easily been knocked out. how would your skill or lane positioning have stopped that little bird?

i know you like to use false anecdotal logic to justify your belief that you will remain unharmed/uncrashed and are free to go without gear. so good for you. i'm sure your wife will feel great taking care of her vegetable of a husband in a coma

Old July 17th, 2014, 04:28 PM   #415
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
how would your skill or lane positioning have stopped that little bird?
I wudda sawed em'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eyes.jpg (26.4 KB, 3 views)
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 04:45 PM   #416
ninjamunky85
Que Buenos Son!!!

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia Shiver 750, Husaberg FE 450, Ninja 300 (sold), xr100

MOTM - Nov '14
Quote:
Just fyi, I've tried the helmet thing...I felt like I couldn't hear well and my perifial vision felt impaired.
This is the argument that I hear all the time from the guys that don't wear helmets, and I just don't get it... What do you have eye's in the side of your head? If a helmet affects your periphial vision, then it is a bad helmet maybe you should try a different one.

Also, you couldn't hear well??? Maybe you can't hear because you've been riding for all these years without a helmet and you've caused irreversible damage to your hearing. Wat?
ninjamunky85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 05:37 PM   #417
Skullz
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ray

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

When i talk to people about helmets i always bring gary busey and what no helmet did to him. If people think it cannot happen to them then the roulette ball hasn't landed on your number yet, it is only a matter of time till you become a winner.
Skullz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2014, 07:32 PM   #418
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

The interwebs is full of graphic stories and photos showing the results of crashing without good helmet and gear. If that sort of evidence won't convince a squid, then nothing I say will.

Old July 18th, 2014, 02:06 AM   #419
DailyFloridaRider
Open air 24/7-365

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRedNinjette View Post
Are you saying that every single crash is 100% avoidable for you?
And that a rider that IS in a wreck is just a bad rider?
Because that what it sounds like from your posts.
Nooooo. That would be ignorant on my part. I'm aware I assume a certain amount of risk "squidding it". The vast majority of accidents are avoidable though with safe riding techniques. Theres a lot of tricks to it IMO that too many people don't understand.

Old July 18th, 2014, 02:11 AM   #420
DailyFloridaRider
Open air 24/7-365

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky85 View Post
I have a good friend who stopped wearing a helmet when he traded his sport bike for a cruiser. I don't ride with him anymore for two reasons.

One: I don't want to be there if he makes a mistake and they have to scrape his brains off the pavement like scrambled eggs from a frying pan.

Two: He drives like my Grandma now. I'm talking like 5-10 mph under the speed limit. The one time that I did ride with him it was really boring and I was always checking my mirrors to see if he was still alive.

I don't understand how anyone could ride without a helmet, but in the states where they aren't required it's everyone's own choice to make. After all we're all adults. Just don't expect me to feel sorry for you when you crack your head open like a coconut cause you're too cool to wear a helmet. @DailyFloridaRider
I don't recall mentioning I was too cool for a helmet. I tried a helmet and I was personally uncomfortable with it. I felt immediatly hearing and vision impaired. I still own the helmet for cross country riding through states that require it.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:36 AM   #421
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Like my grandfather always told me as a wee lad, be smarter than a giraffe.
Attached Images
File Type: gif 778dfdb99e8be0c0670753550d0b75102b38e324.gifa.gif (442.9 KB, 4 views)
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2014, 10:54 AM   #422
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:11 PM   #423
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I wudda sawed em'.

Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:12 PM   #424
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Thats insanely creepy....

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old July 25th, 2014, 09:51 AM   #425
ninjakuma
Stunts Extraodinar

Squid aftermath video

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=357_1406261157

That's what happens when you don't have gear or even pants on. Whew **** looks like it burns man! Maybe he'll wear gear next time

Old July 25th, 2014, 10:46 AM   #426
capt_bugaloo
motorcycle rider

Never could understand why anyone would ride without a pair of basic gloves.

Old July 25th, 2014, 10:48 AM   #427
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

I like being attached to my skin...

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old July 25th, 2014, 11:03 AM   #428
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
I wudda sawed em'.

Old July 25th, 2014, 11:54 AM   #429
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
"Dress for the slide, not the ride." Heard that somewhere and it makes perfect sense.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #430
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

I need to get a picture of my roommate for this thread. Rides a 20 year old DR650 with massively leaky fork seals and a rusty chain, wearing a motocross helmet, t-shirt and shorts with flip-flops.
Brother Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2014, 03:56 PM   #431
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Name: Newton

Motorcycle(s): Kwaka EX250

Quote:
Didn't seem nearly loud enough to need plugs..... I do work in a loud environment so maybe I'm just accustom to it....
Or maybe you have hearing damage and don't know it.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 25th, 2014, 06:00 PM   #432
ninjakuma
Stunts Extraodinar

Saw a couple reaaally bad ones today with flip flops, tank top, shorts the whole getup. Too fast to snap a photo though.

Anyone notice that it's almost as if they know how dumb they are since they tend to ride very aggressive, like they are mad everyone is looking at them going "what an idiot" or something lol

Old July 25th, 2014, 06:25 PM   #433
sharky nrk
Fighting Texas Aggie '05

Name: Neil

Motorcycle(s): '07 ZX6R, '08 Versys, '09 250R Track, '93 F2/F3 Track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
I need to get a picture of my roommate for this thread. Rides a 20 year old DR650 with massively leaky fork seals and a rusty chain, wearing a motocross helmet, t-shirt and shorts with flip-flops.
if only it was a tank top, it would be PERFECT lol
sharky nrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #434
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
from reddit

Old July 27th, 2014, 11:25 AM   #435
antiant
antiant

Name: antiant

Motorcycle(s): None

MOTM - Oct '14
Heh, that's awesome, although now he needs a pair of matching Hi-Viz leathers or something.
antiant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 27th, 2014, 01:49 PM   #436
xorbe
ninjette.org guru

Name: xorbe

Motorcycle(s): N650 (and others)

Impressive, even has a fluorescent windscreen!
xorbe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2014, 06:30 AM   #437
gantt
ninjette.org sage

Name: michael

Motorcycle(s): 2019 Ninja 400, Sold 2012 Ninja 650, Sold 2009 Ninja 250r, Sold 2007 DRZ400s

Took this on the other at home from work for yesterday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140801_174257293.jpg (69.3 KB, 32 views)
gantt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 2nd, 2014, 06:40 AM   #438
LittleRedNinjette
Certified Troublemaker

Is the bike going so fast his skinny ass is just flopping around back there??

Raven's Rejuvenation

Old August 16th, 2014, 07:28 PM   #439
spldbrt
ninjette.org member

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 Ebony and Pink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob View Post
I think people are stupid not to wear a helmet, but I'm 110% against the nanny state gov't telling you you have to wear one.
Canada pays for our medical care so they figure that gives them the right to force us into anything they deem as "safety related", be it motorcycle helmets, bicycle helmets or seat belts, among other things

Old August 16th, 2014, 10:27 PM   #440
ninjakuma
Stunts Extraodinar

If you are riding on something that is moving faster than you can sprint then you should probably wear a helmet