ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > !%@*#$%!)@#&!%@ I crashed!

Old October 7th, 2013, 06:42 AM   #1
spc2125
ninjette.org member

Name: Steven

Motorcycle(s): 10 Ninja 250

Not a scratch on me...

It happened on Friday while I was on lunch break for work. Weatherman said it would be cloudy that day, but after I got to work it started to rain. Coincidentally, when it was time for lunch, the sun came out and I could go get something for lunch because I didnt bring anything.

I'm in the right lane and there is a red car in the left lane traveling just being me. In front of the red car in the left lane, there is a black car that is stopping to take a U-turn. (not at an intersection, and there is a sign that says no U-turn) So the red car behind the black car thats stopping, is traveling quite fast so he/she decides to speed up and cut in front of me to avoid having to stop.

Not a good decision.

I slam my brakes, and I believe my rear brakes locked up, and my back end begins to fish tail to the left and the bike starts to become completely sideways. So not having taken any classes, I just went with my first instincts. I dumped the bike and braced myself. After I let go of my bike, I think I stepped once on the ground before the inertia got the best of me. I tumbled once, and I remember rolling on my shoulder. After the first roll, I thought it was over and I could get up... but I just kept rolling maybe 3 more times. I got up after a second or two and my first reaction was WTF! ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME? And I turned back to my bike that was about 10 feet behind me to go catch up to the guy.... who obviously didnt stop... but it was lying on the ground obviously hurt.

It was like 5 seconds before about 3-4 people came running up to me to see if I was okay. One lady asked if you want me to get his license plate and I said Yes. But I go to get my bike out of the road so I dont hold traffic up.
I ended up talking to one of the guys who was in the Dunkin Donuts and had a perfect view of what happened, who also has a bike and has been in a big accident himself. He told me I did exactly what I was suppose to do, dump the bike.

But nothing came of the lady going to get the license plate, and there really wouldn't be a lot I could do with it anyway because he didnt hit me. But I am on my lunch break and I gotta get some lunch before I go back to work because I was working a 10 hr shift that day. I walked into subway and parked my bike in their parking lot and walked back to work. I didnt say a word to anybody.

Next to the damage of the bike...

Seems like just a few scratches and just a broken clutch lever. I ordered the clutch already and should be here sometime this week. The left turn signal looks like it will just pop back in... if not I have a replacement from the rear turn signal I took out when I cut the fender.

And how'd I make out in all of this? Its funny because I had just put the bike up for sale on craigslist the night before because Im trying to save for a new car and I figured I would have a better chance selling the bike now, then in a couple months when winter comes. And also, I had been thinking that I was due for an accident and that I was living on borrowed time. Bottom line, don't think about something too much because it may come true.

Lucky for me, I came out without a scratch. The jacket took much of the beating. No visible damage to the helmet. No skinned pants. Just a little bit of soreness on my left hip, left shoulder, and left wrist.

Ive had my bike since May. I fricken LOVE it! I ride it every chance I get, not only because its fun and the cool points, but mainly to save on gas because I am so cheap. But its become more important that I have my bike because parking at school is CRAZY. So having a bike is as simple as coming in and pulling up right next to the building and not having to worry about being late for class. But I have made the decision to sell my bike. Riding isnt for everybody, and I guess im done with the phase. No I am not scared of riding or anything, I just have moved on and don't trust the people driving who are in my area
Attached Images
File Type: jpg securedownload-1.jpg (107.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg securedownload.jpg (109.8 KB, 3 views)
spc2125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2013, 07:09 AM   #2
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by spc2125 View Post
It was like 5 seconds before about 3-4 people came running up to me to see if I was okay. One lady asked if you want me to get his license plate and I said Yes. But I go to get my bike out of the road so I dont hold traffic up.
I ended up talking to one of the guys who was in the Dunkin Donuts and had a perfect view of what happened, who also has a bike and has been in a big accident himself. He told me I did exactly what I was suppose to do, dump the bike.
Dumping the bike is rarely ever the "right thing to do"

With what i gather from your description the right thing to do would have been to recognize the situation early and react by slowing down and moving further right allowing *** clown in red car to get by with more space. Even if the situation came up on you quick, simply slowing down moving right would have probably been enough, the bike only takes up a fraction of the lane.

Glad that you are ok, hope the bike is as well.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2013, 07:12 AM   #3
spc2125
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
Dumping the bike is rarely ever the "right thing to do"

With what i gather from your description the right thing to do would have been to recognize the situation early and react by slowing down and moving further right allowing *** clown in red car to get by with more space. Even if the situation came up on you quick, simply slowing down moving right would have probably been enough, the bike only takes up a fraction of the lane.

Glad that you are ok, hope the bike is as well.
Businesses on the sides of the streets so there were cars parked on the side of the street. If I didnt slam on my brakes to cut the speed, then I would have ate shitt against the rear of the red car. There was little room for reaction time when the red car pulled in front of me.

The ONE TIME i didnt wear my gopro!!

Old October 7th, 2013, 08:49 AM   #4
dfox
ninjette.org sage

Name: Fox

Motorcycle(s): 08 250R

Sad to see a rider moving on, but hey, it's a life decision that only you can make. It's definitely dangerous.

What has been said, and what others will say, is that since you had not practiced panic breaking, you were more likely to crash in a panic stop situation. In short, you can't really "dump" a bike. it sounds like you highsided because you locked up the rear, slid sideways, and then let off the rear brake. If you were to jump off a moving bike, it will generally stay upright until it hits something, hence, no way to "dump". The only time I'd say "dump" is a safe option, is if you're about to drive under a tractor trailer and be decapitated... grabbing a hand full of front break to tuck the front and "dump" the bike might save you.

If your bike sliding on the ground didn't hit the car, then you could have avoided collision using your brakes properly. The tire on the road has much greater friction than hard plastic and metal on the road. If the sliding bike stopped before hitting the car, the brakes are more than adequate to stop you.
dfox is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 7th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
..........I slam my brakes, and I believe my rear brakes locked up, and my back end begins to fish tail to the left and the bike starts to become completely sideways. So not having taken any classes, I just went with my first instincts. I dumped the bike and braced myself..............
I ended up talking to one of the guys who was in the Dunkin Donuts and had a perfect view of what happened, who also has a bike and has been in a big accident himself. He told me I did exactly what I was suppose to do, dump the bike.........
Sorry to read about your accident and damage to the bike, Steven.

I would consider taking a MSF course or any other training, but not taking advice from the guy at the Dunkin Donuts.
You could have done much better braking work and could have kept the rubbers down.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #6
spc2125
ninjette.org member

That actually makes sense. Just hard to remember how it all went down. And i guess i misused the word "dump". NOOB.

But back to your point, if my bike didnt hit the red car, then i definitely could have avoided it with proper braking. I just dont think the conditions were on my side.... not having gone to classes and the wet ground.

But hey, im not going to argue with any of it... im fine and that is the most that matters to me.

Old October 7th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
....... im fine and that is the most that matters to me.
If you keep riding long enough, you will be facing the exact same situation.
Education will change the outcome.

You can find valuable information in our Riding Skills section.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #8
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfox View Post

What has been said, and what others will say, is that since you had not practiced panic breaking, you were more likely to crash in a panic stop situation.
I think he has panic breaking down, no need to practice anymore

sorry couldn't resist

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 7th, 2013, 11:11 AM   #9
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Nothing pissed me off more than drivers running away after accidents. Whether ts because they're too scared to stop or they didnt even realize they did anything (which is worse IMO). I just hate it
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 7th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #10
spc2125
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Nothing pissed me off more than drivers running away after accidents. Whether ts because they're too scared to stop or they didnt even realize they did anything (which is worse IMO). I just hate it
It was a red civic with orange/red/yellow flames on the side.... so its probably likely that I will see him/her again.
:evilgrin:

Old October 7th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #11
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

The biggest lesson here is that mistakes on a bike are much more severe than on a car. Every time I get on I practice panic stops and swerves. Every time. If you were to drive more defensibly you would have been fine. BUt at the same time something elsewill get you down the road.

Old October 7th, 2013, 12:03 PM   #12
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
The biggest lesson here is that mistakes on a bike are much more severe than on a car. Every time I get on I practice panic stops and swerves. Every time. If you were to drive more defensibly you would have been fine. BUt at the same time something elsewill get you down the road.
So true. There are no "fender-benders" on a motorcycle
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote