ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > New Members

Old October 24th, 2012, 11:15 AM   #1
laynaru
laynaru

Name: Yelena

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Talking New female rider, love my lean mean green Ninja!

Hi everyone!

My name is Yelena, I'm from the Portland area all the way up in Maine. I just got my motorcycle license this July, and having never ridden any sort of four-wheeler, dirt bike or snowmobile this was a pretty huge accomplishment for me! Then in August I purchased my very first bike, a 2012 Ninja 250R in candy apple green. I frickin' love it I had frame sliders installed because I knew I was definitely taking a risk buying such a new bike for my first one, and I will be the first to admit that yes, they have definitely come in handy haha.

I look forward to learning so much more about my bike and becoming part of the community!

And since we're on the subject, I do have a very important question if someone can lead me in the right direction: I'm not super short, an ambitious 5'2'', but I do not sit flat-footed on the Ninja. It becomes very difficult to move the bike while in neutral because I just have no grip on the ground, I have to get off the bike and push it. Sort of a pain in the ass to be honest Then there was in incident where I stopped a little too quickly at a light and the bike just tilted slightly to the side, because I'm short it almost took me with it and the lean resulted in me scrambling to stay up and revving the throttle like crazy. The bike has already been lowered on its own as much as it can be, so I know I'm going to have to buy a lowering kit or something so I can ride it comfortably and not worry about falling off at the slightest lean. Someone told me I didn't have to drop so much $ on a kit but can just buy this wish-bone shaped piece that is placed near the front of the bike? Any advice is super appreciated!

PS My bike's not leaking anything lol thanks for everyone's concerns though! It's simply the water that drained when I took my bike cover after a few days of rain

Last futzed with by laynaru; October 24th, 2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: clarified my photo
laynaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Monkeytofu
I told you bro

Name: Noor

Motorcycle(s): 1996 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by laynaru View Post
And since we're on the subject, I do have a very important question if someone can lead me in the right direction: I'm not super short, an ambitious 5'2'', but I do not sit flat-footed on the Ninja. It becomes very difficult to move the bike while in neutral because I just have no grip on the ground, I have to get off the bike and push it. Sort of a pain in the ass to be honest Then there was in incident where I stopped a little too quickly at a light and the bike just tilted slightly to the side, because I'm short it almost took me with it and the lean resulted in me scrambling to stay up and revving the throttle like crazy.

The bike has already been lowered on its own as much as it can be, so I know I'm going to have to buy a lowering kit or something so I can ride it comfortably and not worry about falling off at the slightest lean. Someone told me I didn't have to drop so much $ on a kit but can just buy this wish-bone shaped piece that is placed near the front of the bike? Any advice is super appreciated!
Welcome!

Yes, lowering kits aren't expensive. You could also consider buying handle bar risers so that your riding position is more relaxed and back which should give you a more easier time maintaining your position on your bike.
Monkeytofu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 11:35 AM   #3
laynaru
laynaru

I think that the stance the bike puts me in is fine, I hardly ever notice I'm in that forward-leaning position. The only slight discomfort it's caused me is sometimes my left elbow will lock up. I think it's the fact that I hardly touch the ground haha. I can't use my legs to really help move the bike, especially on an incline or downhill, the bike's just too heavy without me being able to plant my feet firmly on the ground. Any suggested lowering kits?

Thanks for the help!

Old October 24th, 2012, 11:52 AM   #4
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Welcome to the forums!

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...50R-Parts.aspx

Old October 24th, 2012, 11:55 AM   #5
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Welcome from the Portland of the West, my friend. Can't help you on the lowering kit. No knowledge base. You might want to take a look at what most alarmingly looks like an oil leak, however.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 11:56 AM   #6
laynaru
laynaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Thanks for the link!

Old October 24th, 2012, 12:01 PM   #7
laynaru
laynaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
Welcome from the Portland of the West, my friend. Can't help you on the lowering kit. No knowledge base. You might want to take a look at what most alarmingly looks like an oil leak, however.
Haha oh no, the picture does make it appear to have a serious leak. No worries though! It's actually all the water that collected in my bike cover after the crappy weather we had, once I took the cover off it just spilled everywhere

Old October 24th, 2012, 12:02 PM   #8
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Old October 24th, 2012, 01:34 PM   #9
KJohnson21

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): '08 Kawasaki EX250 "Yoshi", '99 Kawasaki Concours "Grace", '06 Concours "Belle", '06 Yamaha YZF600R "Slick"

HEY!! Unregistered!! Does your bike have a name?
KJohnson21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 01:37 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Yelena!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 01:47 PM   #11
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I go to Portland a few times a year. Great restaurants, sucky weather (except the 2 weeks of summer).

I think your bike is leaking something!

Old October 24th, 2012, 01:53 PM   #12
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

I think her bike just has a small bladder syndrome lol.

I have some stock links from a 07 ZZR600 if you want. It'll lower your rear a good bit. I have no idea how low it'll lower it. Non adjustable, of course.

Old October 24th, 2012, 02:19 PM   #13
laynaru
laynaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I go to Portland a few times a year. Great restaurants, sucky weather (except the 2 weeks of summer).

I think your bike is leaking something!
Portland's not THAT bad, it was like 65 degrees out yesterday and at the end of October.

My bike's OK! It's just the water that spilled when I took the bike cover off after it had rained for a few days.

Old October 24th, 2012, 02:36 PM   #14
laynaru
laynaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
I have some stock links from a 07 ZZR600 if you want. It'll lower your rear a good bit. I have no idea how low it'll lower it. Non adjustable, of course.
I think I'll probably invest in some new links for the front and rear, reading up on it a bit it looks like if they're too low it can really cause some damage to the wiring and surrounding plastic. Thanks though!

Old October 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #15
Tenacious_Me
ninjette.org member

Name: Linda

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r

Welcome and lowering links

Hi!
I purchased the lowering links that you're talking about.
I haven't used them. I shaved the seat a lot, and now I can tiptoe the bike.

It takes a lot of fore thought and planning strategic stops/parking, but I've decided to not lower it after all... so the links are up for sale.

Let me know if you're interested. They are brand new.

Thanks and welcome!
Tenacious_Me is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM   #16
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

If you ever change your mind, just let me know.

Old October 24th, 2012, 03:15 PM   #17
laynaru
laynaru

Let me talk to one of my more bike-knowledge equipped friends and see what he's got to say about the links, I'm still new to modifying/adjusting a motorcycle so I really don' know much about it! If we were talking about mods on cars I'd be all up in thissss. I'll get back to you!

Old October 24th, 2012, 03:19 PM   #18
laynaru
laynaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenacious_Me View Post
Hi!
I purchased the lowering links that you're talking about.
I haven't used them. I shaved the seat a lot, and now I can tiptoe the bike.

It takes a lot of fore thought and planning strategic stops/parking, but I've decided to not lower it after all... so the links are up for sale.

Let me know if you're interested. They are brand new.

Thanks and welcome!
Have you had any major issues with the height at all? It was fine the first few weeks I had it because it seemed I was on a flat surface everywhere I went, but then once I approached hills, inclines and slippery surfaces I had a really hard time moving the bike. The incident at the stop light where I stopped too quickly and nearly fell was terrifying because I was in the middle of traffic and didn't want to just drop the damn thing right there

Old October 24th, 2012, 04:12 PM   #19
Goom
ninjette.org guru

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 1976 CB550 Cafe, 2011 Ninja 250, 1999 Honda CR125

Welcome to the forum!

I like the idea of shaving your seat like @Tenacious_Me did. I'm not sure how much you can shave off of these seats without making them unbearable, but if you can make it work, I think you'll be happier with the ride.
Goom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2012, 04:26 PM   #20
loz944
ninjette.org guru

Name: Laurence

Motorcycle(s): Green 2012 Ninja 250SE and a Yamaha fino scooter (my wife's really)

welcome

Old October 24th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #21
laynaru
laynaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goom View Post
Welcome to the forum!

I like the idea of shaving your seat like @Tenacious_Me did. I'm not sure how much you can shave off of these seats without making them unbearable, but if you can make it work, I think you'll be happier with the ride.
I looked into doing it, it doesn't seem too difficult and looks like I can get an inch or so out of it.

Old October 24th, 2012, 10:14 PM   #22
tuan3742
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 13' zx-6r 636

Welcome from the opposite side of the States.

even though i'm 5'6'', i can't fully flat foot both my feet either. when you're making a stop, do you use both your front and rear brakes together? i find that it smooths out my braking and as i approach a complete stop, it is easy for me to drop my left foot and i just leave my right on the brake.

Old October 24th, 2012, 10:25 PM   #23
laynaru
laynaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuan3742 View Post
Welcome from the opposite side of the States.

even though i'm 5'6'', i can't fully flat foot both my feet either. when you're making a stop, do you use both your front and rear brakes together? i find that it smooths out my braking and as i approach a complete stop, it is easy for me to drop my left foot and i just leave my right on the brake.
I usually keep a pretty good distance between me and the car in front (or at least now I do) so I usually have a long ways to slow down and only use my rear brakes. I hardly ever use my front, only when I've needed to stop quickly. I guess the most embarrassing thing to happen because of my height was when I pulled into my land-lady's driveway to park... her driveway has deep grooves on either side from cars going in and out and I stopped right next to one not noticing... the next thing I know as I'm tilting the bike to the left waiting for the kickstand to touch the ground, the bike just kept leaning because the kickstand when into the groove and I was too short to really hold the bike up and it fell right over with me still on it. If I could touch the ground fully I would have been able to notice the bike leaning and caught myself/stopped it before it dropped. Most epic fail ever of dumping a motorcycle.

Old October 24th, 2012, 10:57 PM   #24
tuan3742
ninjette.org member

Quote:
I usually keep a pretty good distance between me and the car in front (or at least now I do) so I usually have a long ways to slow down and only use my rear brakes. I hardly ever use my front, only when I've needed to stop quickly. I guess the most embarrassing thing to happen because of my height was when I pulled into my land-lady's driveway to park... her driveway has deep grooves on either side from cars going in and out and I stopped right next to one not noticing... the next thing I know as I'm tilting the bike to the left waiting for the kickstand to touch the ground, the bike just kept leaning because the kickstand when into the groove and I was too short to really hold the bike up and it fell right over with me still on it. If I could touch the ground fully I would have been able to notice the bike leaning and caught myself/stopped it before it dropped. Most epic fail ever of dumping a motorcycle.
Okay, right there is concerning. In most cases, rear brake is useless when used by itself. You actually should use both your front and rear brakes together. stopping becomes a lot easier and for emergency cases, will be quicker and safer.

Old October 25th, 2012, 01:39 AM   #25
ninja250r81
ninjette.org guru

Name: scott

Motorcycle(s): 2012 ninja 250r se

think this lady rider is pretty short.

Link to original page on YouTube.

ninja250r81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #26
Domagoj
ninjette.org guru

Name: Domagoj

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r 2009

Welcome to the forum!

There is a nice article in wiki section about lowering. You can also find it in the DIY directory.
Domagoj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2012, 06:50 AM   #27
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
i had the same thing happen to me, when i first started riding.
you just need to be more aware of the ground surfaces, and your footing.

anything different from normal needs to be treated with care.

start practicing using the front brake but only use two fingers.
a handful of brake is usually NOT a good thing.

did you take the MSF?
if not i think you should look into it, the drills are low speed but build confidence and control.

Old October 25th, 2012, 09:37 AM   #28
laynaru
laynaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja250r81 View Post
think this lady rider is pretty short.

Link to original page on YouTube.

I actually just came across that video on YouTube a couple weeks ago. She's tiny! I don't know how that girl could easily move that bike around at low speeds or in neutral... maybe she knows something I don't lol

Old October 25th, 2012, 09:44 AM   #29
laynaru
laynaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
i had the same thing happen to me, when i first started riding.
you just need to be more aware of the ground surfaces, and your footing.

anything different from normal needs to be treated with care.

start practicing using the front brake but only use two fingers.
a handful of brake is usually NOT a good thing.

did you take the MSF?
if not i think you should look into it, the drills are low speed but build confidence and control.
That's actually how I got my license, I took a 2 day hands-on course and I went from never having sat on a motorcycle to being able to do a figure 8 in a drawn rectangle. It was awesome and without it I don't think I would have been able to learn properly. Now it seems that since I've fallen a couple times because of not being able to really touch the ground, it's made me slightly scared to ride because when I approach any obstacle(literally and figuratively) I panic a little. I guess the only way to get over my fear is to just ride, right?! Practice, practice, practice... And I will definitely start working on using my front brake as well, didn't realize it was so crucial.

Old October 25th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #30
lgk

Quote:
That's actually how I got my license, I took a 2 day hands-on course and I went from never having sat on a motorcycle to being able to do a figure 8 in a drawn rectangle. It was awesome and without it I don't think I would have been able to learn properly. Now it seems that since I've fallen a couple times because of not being able to really touch the ground, it's made me slightly scared to ride because when I approach any obstacle(literally and figuratively) I panic a little. I guess the only way to get over my fear is to just ride, right?! Practice, practice, practice... And I will definitely start working on using my front brake as well, didn't realize it was so crucial.
yep, to get over it you have to ride, and train yourself out of it.

during a stop, just try to think it through, and analyze potential dangers.
it will become natural soon after you learn balance.

try using the right peg to help balance the bike while putting your left foot down.
if you feel uncomfortable, get someone to hold the bike while you try it.

the front brake provides most of the stopping force during a stop. the rear brake for accounts for about 0-15% since it loses traction due to the weight transfer dynamics. skilled use of the front brake is an important aspect of being a good rider.

Old October 25th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #31
laynaru
laynaru

Quote:

the front brake provides most of the stopping force during a stop. the rear brake for accounts for about 0-15% since it loses traction due to the weight transfer dynamics. skilled use of the front brake is an important aspect of being a good rider.
Thanks for the advice! It's encouraging to hear feedback like that, definitely going to work on my balancing skills more-so now that I've heard what others have to say.

Old October 25th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #32
lgk

glad to be of help.

Old October 25th, 2012, 11:24 AM   #33
tuan3742
ninjette.org member

Quote:

try using the right peg to help balance the bike while putting your left foot down.
if you feel uncomfortable, get someone to hold the bike while you try it.

You took the words right out of my mouth. was literally going to say the exact same thing on my next post =P

Old October 25th, 2012, 04:08 PM   #34
dudemanbrah
ninjette.org member

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

welcome!
dudemanbrah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2012, 05:25 PM   #35
Whiskey

Name: Morgan

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250, 2010 STR 675

Quote:

Learn to use the front brake, don't grab it but put it on smoothly & progressively.
As you're getting down to running/walking pace add a bit of rear to smooth out the final stop.

Once you get to a full stop point the bars left, left foot down & the bike should tip over in a predictable manner. Point the bars forward & use the takeoff to stabilise the bike, once you're moving you can get your foot back on the peg (don't drag it for too long, on the peg keeps the bike more stable).

Try that before going for the lowering kit
Whiskey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 25th, 2012, 07:48 PM   #36
tuan3742
ninjette.org member

Yeah, my sister is the same height as you, and she didn't do the lowering kit either and rides fine. sometimes she squids it up a bit too bad..skirt + heels....>.>

Old October 28th, 2012, 07:30 PM   #37
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Hello and welcome
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2012, 07:38 PM   #38
laynaru
laynaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post

Learn to use the front brake, don't grab it but put it on smoothly & progressively.
As you're getting down to running/walking pace add a bit of rear to smooth out the final stop.

Once you get to a full stop point the bars left, left foot down & the bike should tip over in a predictable manner. Point the bars forward & use the takeoff to stabilise the bike, once you're moving you can get your foot back on the peg (don't drag it for too long, on the peg keeps the bike more stable).

Try that before going for the lowering kit
Man, I still have sooo much to learn about riding. Thanks for the advice, I will definitely work on that. I think I'm going to try shaving the seat down before I decide to add lowering links to it, maybe the seat alone will help a lot.

Old October 28th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #39
laynaru
laynaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuan3742 View Post
Yeah, my sister is the same height as you, and she didn't do the lowering kit either and rides fine. sometimes she squids it up a bit too bad..skirt + heels....>.>
Hahahaha, that would be an epic sight. Can't say that will ever happen to me, but who knows.

So your sister really has no issues with it? I think I just spooked myself after the few small incidents I had with it nearly falling. Time to grow a metaphorical pair.

Old October 28th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #40
laynaru
laynaru

BTW everyone, thanks again so much for the warm welcomes and advice!