ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:06 PM   #1
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250r

How much fun is it to ride?

Got my 2003 registered and insured and took it out Saturday, Sunday and today to work. I have been riding since 2007. I started on a 250r and have had just about every bike on the planet since then. Everything from 1100cc sport bikes to Harley Davidson Ultra Classics to Honda Valkyries and everything in between.
My bike is pretty much stock with the exception of sonic front fork springs and a Ninja 300 rear shock and new tires. Its got 4200 miles on it and runs like brand new.

How much fun is it as compared to a big loud Harley or a 170mph GSXR?
On the highway..... the bigger bikes are more fun BUT.... the 250r can hold its own at 75mph all day long. Crosswinds or trucks aren't an issue.

Around town and in the back roads I prefer this little green screamer to any other bike I have ever owned. It turns on a dime, it stops on a dime, it gets great MPG, it is a blast to shift at such high rpms. I can't say enough about it but I will say a few things for the newbies out there...
If you sell this bike because you think you "graduated" up to a bigger bike you are most likely wrong. I have been riding for 8 years and have logged easily 100,000 miles on my various bikes and I still can't out drive this bike. In the backroads.. the only way you would feel the need for more CC's is if you were riding with sport bike riders that were more experienced than you and they were riding bigger bikes.
One thing I need to get used to is the ultra small friction zone. After riding it I remembered how my 2001 felt. It has a super small zone which took me a little time to get used to after riding bigger bikes with large friction zones. The small friction zone is something a lot of 250r riders talk about because after they come off of there MSF course riding a Rebel or Virago 250 that both have a very large friction zone they think there is something wrong with their Ninja. Well... there isn't of course. On a sport bike you prefer a small friction zone. Because the 250r has such a small motor you don't really need to ease it into gear. Once you get used to it.. its not an issue. Its an asset.... especially when you are banging out 10,000 rpm shifts.
Anyway... I love the bike.. and I have a lot to still learn. I will say that I am a much better rider now because I can now appreciate what this bike can and can't do. Bottom line for the newbies... keep it until you can drag your knees and outrun anything in the back roads. This bike will make you a better rider forever if you give it a chance.
jgcable is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2014, 12:17 PM   #2
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgcable View Post
Got my 2003 registered and insured and took it out Saturday, Sunday and today to work. I have been riding since 2007. I started on a 250r and have had just about every bike on the planet since then. Everything from 1100cc sport bikes to Harley Davidson Ultra Classics to Honda Valkyries and everything in between.
In the backroads.. the only way you would feel the need for more CC's is if you were riding with sport bike riders that were more experienced than you and they were riding bigger bikes.

Anyway... I love the bike.. and I have a lot to still learn. I will say that I am a much better rider now because I can now appreciate what this bike can and can't do. Bottom line for the newbies... keep it until you can drag your knees and outrun anything in the back roads. This bike will make you a better rider forever if you give it a chance.
Ever have a Brough Superior, Vincent, Crocker, BSA, Henderson or Windhoff? Ever have a Ural, Penton, Vincent, BSA, Norton, AJS? Ever have a Husqvarna, Ossa, Britten, MV Agusta? Ever have a Cagiva, Sears, Bridgestone, Moto Guzzi? Ever have a Merkle? Me neither!

My (CC's) what?

Thompson time!

Old June 2nd, 2014, 02:08 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 2nd, 2014, 05:22 PM   #4
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Ever have a Brough Superior, Vincent, Crocker, BSA, Henderson or Windhoff? Ever have a Ural, Penton, Vincent, BSA, Norton, AJS? Ever have a Husqvarna, Ossa, Britten, MV Agusta? Ever have a Cagiva, Sears, Bridgestone, Moto Guzzi? Ever have a Merkle? Me neither!

My (CC's) what?

Thompson time!
No. The brands I have owned are Yamaha, Harley, Buell, Suzuki, Kawasaki and Honda.

Old June 2nd, 2014, 07:20 PM   #5
Kscreations08
Fresh Deli Meat

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R Ninja -Neener-

Old June 2nd, 2014, 07:31 PM   #6
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Riding in the amount of fun is Galactical!

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 08:22 AM   #7
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Put a lot of miles on the bike this weekend. Few things to update.
Forget trying to hang with the big bikes at sustained high speeds on the highway. They blasted into hyperspace and within 3 exits I didn't see them anymore. They were cruising at 90+ for about 45 miles straight.
I bailed on them and met them later for a nice ride in the back road of CT. The lead rider is usually pretty hard to keep up with when I am on my Harley Wideglide. With the Ninja... I was on the leader the entire time and even passed him a few times. It was a joy to ride the bike. Several times at stop lights I was challenged by these 103ci monster Harleys. There I am on the little 250r next to 103ci Harley's with cams, pipes, race tuner etc... Well... I got off the line faster, and I made it to the next light faster and was able to stop EVERY time. You really can't appreciate how quick these bikes are until you are shifting at 12,000 rpms. The bike even felt like it was getting a little light in the front end!
Anyway.. I love this bike. Thanks Kawasaki.

Old June 9th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #8
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Thanks for sharing, I feel like a antisocial-fiend whenever I wring it out at semi legal speeds, feels faster than it really is.
Gonna change the front coils and see about updating the huge moped look it has...

Old June 9th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #9
ekonkjack
ninjette.org member

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): @004 Yamaha Roadstar

Thanks jgcable for an opinion that means so much to me as I too have had many bikes over the years. 43 years of riding to be exact. Started on a 350, had several HDs, a Yami 750, a smaller Honda and finally an 04 Yamaha RoadStar. I will keep the RoadStar until one of us dies, but the fun of riding a smaller bike with great handling cannot be denied. The back roads of eastern Ct. are just begging me to get a Ninjette.
ekonkjack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2014, 11:48 AM   #10
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekonkjack View Post
Thanks jgcable for an opinion that means so much to me as I too have had many bikes over the years. 43 years of riding to be exact. Started on a 350, had several HDs, a Yami 750, a smaller Honda and finally an 04 Yamaha RoadStar. I will keep the RoadStar until one of us dies, but the fun of riding a smaller bike with great handling cannot be denied. The back roads of eastern Ct. are just begging me to get a Ninjette.
What roads are you riding?

Old June 9th, 2014, 11:53 AM   #11
ekonkjack
ninjette.org member

I'm in the eastern edge of the state. Voluntown if you want to look it up. Rt. 49 goes right past my house and is very popular with the riding crowd. We often ride up into Mass, NH and Vermont. Occasionally I will find myself out at the western side of the state.

Old June 10th, 2014, 09:03 AM   #12
jgcable
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
What roads are you riding?
58,63,66,rte 7, all around Sharon Mountain, Kent, Falls Village, down around Durham, Moodus, Painters Ridge, Barkhamstead, Litchfield County, a nice trip is going to Gillette Castle, etc...

You can easily put in a 300mile day and rarely if ever see a traffic light or stop sign. All twisties around the mountains, incredible overlooks..

Old June 10th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #13
ekonkjack
ninjette.org member

nice trip is going to Gillette Castle, etc...

Now you are on my side of the river. We ride to Gillettes Castle almost every year. I have ridden Rt. 7 and the Kent area and plan on hooking up the pop-up camper and heading out that way this summer.

Old July 7th, 2014, 08:18 PM   #14
eddiekay

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

There's a museum on Rt 7 in Kent that has a steam motorcycle.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote