ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Riding Skills

Old March 20th, 2014, 09:06 PM   #1
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

California superbike school

I signed up for California Superbike School L1/2 @ Sonoma (anybody else here going?) and had a couple questions. Maybe @Misti can answer?

Should I buy a camera so that I can review my lines, braking points and so on? I'd have to wear my rf1100 though which might interfere with a racing hump.
What happens if it rains? There's a small chance of rain.
Should I ask them to lower the bike? My inseam is about 30 -- I can just about flat foot my bike. Maybe I'll bring my boots to the dealer to see how bad it is.

I'm planning to bring my under armour type pants and shirt, earplugs, balaclava, and maybe a small notebook. Anything else I should bring?
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 20th, 2014, 09:34 PM   #2
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
Hey Algs, here's my review of CSBS from last summer: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137138

We brought cameras (I forgot to put a battery in mine, stupid) and it was handy after the school to do some self review but is by no stretch required. Your coach will go over those things with you after each run.

I think the day goes rain or shine, it's in the documents somewhere. I wouldn't lower the bike, I can't flat foot mine at all and it was no problem.

Bring/Prep: obviously your gear, including armor. Water is provided by the school, partake of it often. Get a good night's sleep. A towel might be a good thing to toss in your pack as well.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2014, 05:14 AM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Hey Al, happy to see you signed up to go! I know you have been kicking the idea around for a while now.

Should you buy a cam? Lemme ask you this; will it help you learn or solidify the instruction you receive? If you are a visual learner, then yes... I would say it's worth the extra dollars to get a camera to augment your experience.

Rain? That is kinda a positive thing. The level 1 drills really focus on inputs that will definitely help ones riding in the wet. Also, imho everyone should do a wet track day. There is much to be learned about the feedback the bike/tires give a rider and... most importantly, how one will react to that feedback.

Lower the bike? Why do you ask? Are you comfortable riding it now? If so, don't give it a second thought. If not, then without regard to CSS, change the setup to where you are comfortable. Ride height, suspension, tires, ect.. ect.. are all moving targets to the riders preference. There is nothing wrong with it growing with you along the way. EDIT: Are you doing the 2 day camp? If so, will you not be on one of the schools BMW's?

Anything else to bring? Sure, your learning cap and an open mind. Bring a bag for all the extra smiles too.

Have fun!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2014, 11:28 AM   #4
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakaru View Post
Hey Algs, here's my review of CSBS from last summer: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=137138

I think the day goes rain or shine, it's in the documents somewhere. I wouldn't lower the bike, I can't flat foot mine at all and it was no problem.

Bring/Prep: obviously your gear, including armor. Water is provided by the school, partake of it often. Get a good night's sleep. A towel might be a good thing to toss in your pack as well.
I posted a few questions in that review thread. Actually, I was this close to signing up for a Keigwin's 2 day class, which I think @Jiggles took, because CSS was full for both Sears Point and Laguna Seca and I didn't want to wait until their next dates in Sept.

I signed up for the two day camp which apparently means everything is provided. Hopefully they have rain-oriented gear if it gets bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Hey Al, happy to see you signed up to go! I know you have been kicking the idea around for a while now.
Yeah, I was trying to get enough riding experience before doing a track day and also figure out the logistics as I don't have a truck.

Quote:

Should you buy a cam? Lemme ask you this; will it help you learn or solidify the instruction you receive? If you are a visual learner, then yes... I would say it's worth the extra dollars to get a camera to augment your experience.
I was waiting for the Drift Ghost S to be available from Amazon (or BB/Fry's locally) but they're only selling it through 3rd party affiliates.

Quote:

Rain? That is kinda a positive thing. The level 1 drills really focus on inputs that will definitely help ones riding in the wet. Also, imho everyone should do a wet track day. There is much to be learned about the feedback the bike/tires give a rider and... most importantly, how one will react to that feedback.
I don't really have a problem with rain but I noticed the "weather permitting" dislaimer in their info page:

//quote on

OFF-TRACK SPECIALTY BIKES (WEATHER PERMITING):

Level 1 - Steering Drill
Level 2 - Lean Bike
Level 3 - No specialty bike, but you will be videoed.
Level 4 - Slide Bike
2-Day Camp - students have the option to do any of these drills, including the Brake Bike.

Quote:

Lower the bike? Why do you ask? Are you comfortable riding it now? If so, don't give it a second thought. If not, then without regard to CSS, change the setup to where you are comfortable. Ride height, suspension, tires, ect.. ect.. are all moving targets to the riders preference. There is nothing wrong with it growing with you along the way. EDIT: Are you doing the 2 day camp? If so, will you not be on one of the schools BMW's?
I read somewhere that if you give them a heads up, they can lower one of their S1000RRs for you. I rode a KZ1000 (police training) bike in a slow control class and tipped it over when we were all forced to stop in a line and all I got was air with my left foot (flintstones style) because of the incline.

Quote:

Anything else to bring? Sure, your learning cap and an open mind. Bring a bag for all the extra smiles too.

Have fun!
Definitely, it's been a while since I've been to the track. My car is getting old and I was thinking of replacing it, but instead I did the sensible thing and got a bike!

Old March 24th, 2014, 11:24 AM   #5
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Name: Misti

Motorcycle(s): currently: Yamaha YZF 250 dirt/motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by algs26 View Post
I signed up for California Superbike School L1/2 @ Sonoma (anybody else here going?) and had a couple questions. Maybe @Misti can answer?

Should I buy a camera so that I can review my lines, braking points and so on? I'd have to wear my rf1100 though which might interfere with a racing hump.
What happens if it rains? There's a small chance of rain.
Should I ask them to lower the bike? My inseam is about 30 -- I can just about flat foot my bike. Maybe I'll bring my boots to the dealer to see how bad it is.

I'm planning to bring my under armour type pants and shirt, earplugs, balaclava, and maybe a small notebook. Anything else I should bring?
I don't think you need to specifically buy a camera just for the school. If you had one already then for sure bring it but I don't think it is a needed purchase. Especially since you signed up for the two day camp. You will have the opportunity to ride the camera bike once per day. Then you will have your lap analyzed by a riding coach and will get to take a disk with your two laps home.

If it rains then you still ride and still do the school (which is actually an excellent opportunity to fine tune your wet weather skills) but some of the off track training exercises can't be run in the wet. If the track is too slippery or conditions too dangerous then the can on very race occasions cancel the day. This hardly ever happens.

I believe there is a bike that is already lowered that they reserve for students that have asked for a lowered bike, so you can always try that one. Staff and coaches are very helpful for riders that are uncomfortable on the full height bikes. Just ask!

All you need is your gear, the school has water, snacks, lunch, earplugs, face shield cleaner, sunscreen etc. Just get lots of rest and show up ready to learn!

And please ask if you have any more questions
Misti is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 26th, 2014, 09:03 PM   #6
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti View Post
I don't think you need to specifically buy a camera just for the school. If you had one already then for sure bring it but I don't think it is a needed purchase. Especially since you signed up for the two day camp. You will have the opportunity to ride the camera bike once per day. Then you will have your lap analyzed by a riding coach and will get to take a disk with your two laps home.

If it rains then you still ride and still do the school (which is actually an excellent opportunity to fine tune your wet weather skills) but some of the off track training exercises can't be run in the wet. If the track is too slippery or conditions too dangerous then the can on very race occasions cancel the day. This hardly ever happens.

I believe there is a bike that is already lowered that they reserve for students that have asked for a lowered bike, so you can always try that one. Staff and coaches are very helpful for riders that are uncomfortable on the full height bikes. Just ask!

All you need is your gear, the school has water, snacks, lunch, earplugs, face shield cleaner, sunscreen etc. Just get lots of rest and show up ready to learn!

And please ask if you have any more questions
I signed up for the two day camp so I think gear is provided too, right? I didn't get around to ordering a camera (too busy with work) but I did get to sit on an S1000RR at a dealer and it was a tad high but I was wearing sneakers so I think I'll be OK in boots.

Should I bring any non-bike rain gear? Are we going to be outside for any length time not on bikes (walking the track or anything like that)?

Old March 28th, 2014, 10:28 AM   #7
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
I signed up for the two day camp so I think gear is provided too, right? I didn't get around to ordering a camera (too busy with work) but I did get to sit on an S1000RR at a dealer and it was a tad high but I was wearing sneakers so I think I'll be OK in boots.

Should I bring any non-bike rain gear? Are we going to be outside for any length time not on bikes (walking the track or anything like that)?
Yep, gear is provided as well (I think- you may want to just confirm with the office as I don't deal with admin stuff just coaching and riding

You shouldn't need much other gear, you won't be walking the track or hanging around outside too much you are either in the classroom or riding, it's all about the riding plus it's not going to rain

Have fun!!

Old May 26th, 2014, 02:18 PM   #8
algs26
ninjette.org guru

I never got a chance to update this thread so here goes.

I'll start with the bad. Basically, we got in one sighting lap + one full session + one lap of the next session before getting rained out at Sonoma (Sears Point). They won't run at Sears Point even if it's damp because it's too slippery. I think we waited both days until around noon or 1pm to call it off for the day. So basically, I've got credit for future schools to spend however I want (even t-shirts?).

I did the 2 day school which means everything is provided: breakfast (eggs, sausages, bagels, juice, fruits, danishes, etc.), gear (kbc helmet, A* gloves/boots/back protector, AGV Sport one piece leather), bike (S1000RR in ~150hp rain mode), lunch/snacks/water. I brought my balaclava, ear plugs, and under armour long sleeve and pants. They have little lockers in the truck so a combination lock could have been handy, too. There's no real changing room, by the way. A camera would have been nice too especially if you can replay the video right away to go over which corner you blew and so on with your instructor.

The bike was just a touch high but other than that, was great. I didn't use the brakes much but when I first pulled them, it was like one of those kids who's learning to drive and jerks the car to a stop. The seating position was comfy even hunched over. The throttle / clutch was all good. It's only when I went back to my 300 that the clutch travel seems way longer (difference between just grabbing and all the way out). The quick shifter was sweet; who needs a clutch? The bike even had heated grips (Are my hands getting warm?? Oh).

I get what people say about the classroom sessions. They ask very simple questions that all have seemingly obvious answers. While I was looking for a hotel for the night on my phone, another guy was practicing teaching the class. It was pretty clear that the delivery of the material is completely intentional as he was fine tuning his diagrams and wording. I guess some people like the Mr Myagi way (just wax the car!) but I didn't anything see wrong with it. It was like proving a theorem in geometry. I'll add a note to say that I've read here and there that they discourage trailbraking; this isn't true. In our extra classrooms due to rain, they were talking about racers pushing their braking until it overlaps with turning (if you see quick flick of the bike == no brakes, slow tip in == still on the brakes). What they do do is deliberately teach things step by step/one at a time so you don't get overwhelmed. So in the first session, there's no braking or shifting, just throttle smoothly on and off and turn; it was a little unnerving getting the entry speed just right with the little engine breaking (in 3rd, or was it 4th?), when you're going downhill.

So they had a couple other bikes besides the S1000RR. They had everyone do big slaloms on different BMWs, first thing in the morning. Also, they had a another bike with outrigger training wheels to practice locking up the fronts (@30mph?) and smoothly letting up. I only got a couple runs at it before it rained too much for even this exercise but I think it's worthwhile for everyone to feel what it's like to lock up the front brakes (in a straight) and recover and most of all, not to panic.

If they have room at the Street of Willows school before then, I might trek down to LA. Otherwise, I'll be doing a Z2 event at Thill (full 5 mile track, baby!) next. People say good things about them as well.

the fleet

brake bike

don't be that guy that rides over 80%

I could live with this

there's no way they can fit all those bikes, can they?

get your gear folks

Some more pics:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/101868...7643241280695/

Last futzed with by algs26; May 27th, 2014 at 01:14 AM. Reason: correction; incorrect wording

Old May 26th, 2014, 02:32 PM   #9
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
So was Misty there? Is she as cute, I mean fast as they say. How is her curves? Is she is tight or a sweeper girl?

I think you had a camera and just don't want us to see how you did. On the 2 day course you get breakfast, what about lunch and dinner? How about after dinner drinks, and snacks before bedtime?

After riding the BMW, would you buy one?

Old May 26th, 2014, 07:18 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
...........I'll add a note to say that I've read here and there that they discourage trailbraking; this isn't true. In our extra classrooms due to rain, they were talking about racers pushing their braking until it overlaps with braking (if you see quick flick of the bike == no brakes, slow lean == braking)................
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 27th, 2014, 12:36 AM   #11
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Quote:

I'll add a note to say that I've read here and there that they discourage trailbraking; this isn't true. In our extra classrooms due to rain, they were talking about racers pushing their braking until it overlaps with turning (if you see quick flick of the bike == no brakes, slow tip in == still on brakes).
Where's my editor? He's fired.
Corrected.

Old May 27th, 2014, 01:13 AM   #12
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
So was Misty there? Is she as cute, I mean fast as they say. How is her curves? Is she is tight or a sweeper girl?

I think you had a camera and just don't want us to see how you did. On the 2 day course you get breakfast, what about lunch and dinner? How about after dinner drinks, and snacks before bedtime?

After riding the BMW, would you buy one?
Misti wasn't there. All the instructors were male. Mine had an accent that would fit right in with Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels.

Keith Code tucked us in and told us bedtime stories about reaching the legen-wait-for-it-dary 90 degree lean angle. Actually, he wasn't there that day.

The S1000RR is very nice. I haven't ridden a lot of different bikes but it seemed very docile.

Old May 27th, 2014, 12:22 PM   #13
Misti
ninjette.org sage

Thanks for the write up. Sucks you got rained out, it's never fun when the rain comes. Next time!!!

Here is some more info on Keith Code's view of trail braking if anyone wants to read more on it: http://www.motomom.ca/keith-code-on-...ive-interview/

I think it is posted somewhere else here as well but I can't remember where

If anyone has any more questions about CSS let me know, I'll be coaching at the Ridge in July

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 30th, 2014, 02:28 AM   #14
Singh2jz

Name: Inderveer

Motorcycle(s): '07 ex250-F/J

I so wanna do this someday!

Old May 30th, 2014, 07:57 AM   #15
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I'm not going unless I can ride two up with Misty.