ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > None of the above > The Ex-Ninjetters Lair

Old June 4th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #1
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 600RR, 2009 250r

2013 cbr600rr

Well ladies and gents, I went to look at bikes and fell in love. I couldn't quite help myself and ended up with a brand new CBR600RR. I know that some people here feel that supersports are unnecessary, and they are, but I guess that isn't the point of buying one. In the course of owning my 250r I have put over 19,000 miles on it and loved every second. That's why I still have it. I never really cared for Honda until I sat on one and damn if their fit and finish isn't awesome. Before deciding on it I had ridden my buddy's sv650s quite a bit so I knew what more power felt like to some degree.
The bike feels really, really good. I expected a lot of difficulty in riding but it actually corners and feels amazing. I'm extremely surprised at how much less scary it is than everyone makes it sound. As a first bike, you might as well play Russian Roulette, but with some experience it was very simple to get used to. I'm definitely in love with my new found friend.
The day I rode it home there happened to be a damn thunderstorm but I still made it home just fine. If anyone was wondering I paid 11 for it which I thought was a good deal. I have never bought from a dealer but it seemed like the price that I got them to was fair. Well, that's about it for the time being. Happy and safe riding y'all.
Dredgshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2014, 07:39 PM   #2
KawiKid860
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Murphey

Motorcycle(s): 2002 Honda 919, 2004 Ninja 500R NAKED

Awesome bike, I'm absolutely in love with the way the new 600RRs look, the other generations just never spoke to me the way the new ones do. I'm poor though so the first gen R6 is probably the closest I can get aesthetically haha. I love supersports, though I've only owned an F4i and ridden an F3, I just enjoy them. 600s have "no torque" compared to larger bikes obviously, but in reality they have more than you'll ever need and they aren't pushing around that much weight. I've kept the F4i under 3k rpms with a passenger on it and still beat cars off the line just to prove a point, obviously you don't want to ride a 600 like that though lol. And then the top end rush when you're able to use it is phenomenal. I'm fairly certain my 919 will walk away from a 600 until about 100, but 600s still feel faster. Even though I'm absolutely in love with my 919, I still yearn for another F4i, it was such a fantastic bike. I can only imagine the '13 is even better. I sat on one at the international motorcycle show and the seating positing from the waste up felt identical to the F4i, the footpegs made my legs more cramped though but I was also wearing a pair of jeans that barely fit lol.
KawiKid860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 4th, 2014, 08:44 PM   #3
BoBO
ninjette.org guru

Name: Genesis

Motorcycle(s): SC28 Fireblade

Congrats bro,
The extra power is always better. I love the look of the CBR600RR, especially the exhaust under the tail, and the sound of the 4 cylinder winding up. Have fun!
BoBO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2014, 01:38 AM   #4
mania
ninjette.org member

Name: mania

Motorcycle(s): 2013 250

Congrats on the new bike I had a 600 & 900rr Honda's both bought new when I still lived in the US. They make great bikes

Quote:
I never really cared for Honda until I sat on one and damn if their fit and finish isn't awesome.
What you say here has always been my experience as well but...That is Honda Japan quality. I cannot say the same for the Honda's that come out of Thailand these days...250,300,500 & 650
mania is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2014, 07:13 AM   #5
backinthesaddleagain

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

Good purchase - enjoy. I rode my '09 RR for 27K miles and it never let me down.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2014, 07:34 AM   #6
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
@Dredgshadow pics or it didn't happen

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2014, 07:39 AM   #7
nickjpass
#squid

Name: nickypoo

Motorcycle(s): Track dedicated 2008 ZX6R

MOTM - Jul '16
Could I ask why you didn't get the 636 or another middleweight?

Have you ridden her all the way into the power band at all?

Old June 6th, 2014, 07:55 AM   #8
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredgshadow View Post
I know that some people here feel that supersports are unnecessary, and they are, but I guess that isn't the point of buying one.
Supersports are entirely necessary. Some people believe a 250 is all they'll ever need, but in reality the CBR600RR is a better bike in every way except maybe comfort depending on your fitness level. I call b/s on not needing the power also, I had my 600 up to 140 MPH on Tuesday and was wishing it had more power. Just make sure you take the bike to the track every once and awhile. After all that's what it's made for.

Old June 6th, 2014, 08:17 AM   #9
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisbenji View Post
Supersports are entirely necessary. Some people believe a 250 is all they'll ever need, but in reality the CBR600RR is a better bike in every way except maybe comfort depending on your fitness level. I call b/s on not needing the power also, I had my 600 up to 140 MPH on Tuesday and was wishing it had more power. Just make sure you take the bike to the track every once and awhile. After all that's what it's made for.
agreed somehwat

Old June 6th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #10
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
^ I agree, while supersports make for awful first bikes they can be a much better bike for you if you're relatively fit, have money for tires, and have enough experience to know that track days are worth it and that throttle control is necessary (the 250 needs throttle control if you're pushing it a bit, but a lot less of it than a supersport)

someday I'll own one alongside my 250 and 300, grats on your purchase man!
Sirref is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 6th, 2014, 08:23 AM   #11
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickjpass View Post
agreed somehwat
I guess one could argue that Ninja1000, VFR800, BMW S1000R (not S1000RR), Monster 821, etc are actually better bikes for the street.

The thing that really lets the Ninja 300/650 down IMO is the non adjustable suspension.

I have a FZ6 right now and the suspension is crap, I'll probably have to do springs, emulators, and a new shock over the winter.

With the higher end bikes all you have to do is buy the bike and have your favorite suspension guy get it dialed in.

Old June 6th, 2014, 08:28 AM   #12
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
I guess one could argue that Ninja1000, VFR800, BMW S1000R (not S1000RR), Monster 821, etc are actually better bikes for the street.

The thing that really lets the Ninja 300/650 down IMO is the non adjustable suspension.

I have a FZ6 right now and the suspension is crap, I'll probably have to do springs, emulators, and a new shock over the winter.

With the higher end bikes all you have to do is buy the bike and have your favorite suspension guy get it dialed in.
GOD the cat is so ugly on the s1000r!! I have the same problem with my zx6r!

Yeah, the normal "sport" bikes are probably more comfortable and probably have low end power.

BUT...

I do still ride a zx6r

Old June 6th, 2014, 08:31 AM   #13
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

:

Old June 6th, 2014, 08:33 AM   #14
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
GOD the cat is so ugly on the s1000r!! I have the same problem with my zx6r!
That's what a full exhaust is for! Even so, I can put up with an ugly exhaust if you give me heated grips, traction control, abs, electronic suspension, quick-shifter, gobs of torque, power modes, etc. Now if only my insurance company would let me buy one =[.

Old June 6th, 2014, 08:41 AM   #15
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
That's what a full exhaust is for! Even so, I can put up with an ugly exhaust if you give me heated grips, traction control, abs, electronic suspension, quick-shifter, gobs of torque, power modes, etc. Now if only my insurance company would let me buy one =[.
It should come without a cat! Maybe then I would never even consider changing the exhaust...heated grips would be nice, but I feel like tc, abs, electronic suspension, q-s, power modes, are all gimics...

I'd like to learn to ride without them, so that when I do have them, I could ride quicker.

Just my opinion.

Old June 6th, 2014, 08:44 AM   #16
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
It should come without a cat! Maybe then I would never even consider changing the exhaust...heated grips would be nice, but I feel like tc, abs, electronic suspension, q-s, power modes, are all gimics...

I'd like to learn to ride without them, so that when I do have them, I could ride quicker.

Just my opinion.
Well, they're adjustable and defeatable. So you can ride it either way depending on the conditions...

Old June 6th, 2014, 08:47 AM   #17
nickjpass
#squid

MOTM - Jul '16
Quote:
Well, they're adjustable and defeatable. So you can ride it either way depending on the conditions...
I know! I want a s1kRR

I want lots of things lol

Old June 6th, 2014, 08:49 AM   #18
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

I almost bought one, but I couldn't get an insurance quote under $300/month...

Old June 6th, 2014, 08:56 AM   #19
Sirref
Private Joker

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
I almost bought one, but I couldn't get an insurance quote under $300/month...
for a brand new 2014 s1000rr I'd be paying $1026/yr for:
collision
comprehension (both with a $500 deductible)
250/500/100 in liability and underinsured

at age 21

so the same price as what I pay now on my N300 for a quarter of the coverage

for reference, a brand new gsxr1000 would cost me about $3000/yr for the same coverage

Old June 6th, 2014, 08:58 AM   #20
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

That's interesting, I'm surprised the S1000RR is so low. Maybe after the S1000R is out for a bit the rates will drop?

Old June 6th, 2014, 09:08 AM   #21
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
That's interesting, I'm surprised the S1000RR is so low. Maybe after the S1000R is out for a bit the rates will drop?
The experience rates are more important than what a bike is. S1000rr's are typically owned by people who are older and are less likely to crash and are rarely first bikes like a gsxr1000. The gsxr busa is the single highest insurance bike I can find and that's around $500 more per year than the gsxr1000. Squids have ruined the bike all around especially in the insurance rates.

The bike I'm looking at to be my next bike in a few years is a triumph daytona 675 ('06-'08 with the undertail exhaust) and the insurance on that bike is lower than the insurance on my N300

Old June 6th, 2014, 09:27 AM   #22
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Well hopefully the naked bike won't become a squid choice.

Old June 6th, 2014, 09:40 AM   #23
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Well hopefully the naked bike won't become a squid choice.
I was actually talking the fully faired daytona supersport version, not the street triple. I'd be keeping the N300 so the str would overlap a bit too much in roles.

Old June 6th, 2014, 10:24 AM   #24
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
I don't think anyone will argue SS are better bikes, I mean after all that is what you are paying for a better bike, but that still doesn't make all those better bits "necessary" for daily public use.

because 140mph on public roads is necessary?

I don't think at any point during my commute or even spirited riding on the 250 do I ever think...
"you know what despite being able to do +35 on the highest speed limit in the state and having to get on the brakes pretty hard to make some turns what I really need is more power."
Makes perfect sense

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.

Old June 6th, 2014, 10:37 AM   #25
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
I don't think anyone will argue SS are better bikes, I mean after all that is what you are paying for a better bike, but that still doesn't make all those better bits "necessary" for daily public use.

I don't think at any point during my commute or even spirited riding on the 250 do I ever think...
"you know what despite being able to do +35 on the highest speed limit in the state and having to get on the brakes pretty hard to make some turns what I really need is more power."
Makes perfect sense
Did I say I did 140 MPH on public roads?, and yes I wanted more power is always good as long as you can handle it.

You can still go WOT on a 600cc bike on public roads without breaking the speed limit. Just for a shorter period of time. At any rate, buying a supersport isn't about power. It's about ergonomics and suspension.

Old June 6th, 2014, 10:52 AM   #26
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Did I say I did 140 MPH on public roads?, and yes I wanted more power is always good as long as you can handle it.

You can still go WOT on a 600cc bike on public roads without breaking the speed limit. Just for a shorter period of time. At any rate, buying a supersport isn't about power. It's about ergonomics and suspension.
and let me guess... you can handle it?

if it's about ergo's and suspension why all this talk of "POWER!! more power, its necessary, I could not ride a motorcycle with no less than 100hp because I need it!"?

Old June 6th, 2014, 10:57 AM   #27
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
the guy was on a track with long straights

Old June 6th, 2014, 10:58 AM   #28
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
You can still go WOT on a 600cc bike on public roads without breaking the speed limit. Just for a shorter period of time.
Just to play devil's advocate for fun, you actually can't. Sure, you can roll on at WOT at low revs, but that's making small amounts of power anyway. When someone says you can't use all the power on a supersport bike without breaking the speed limit, in many cases that is true for a current 600cc class bike, and in almost all cases it's true for a 1000cc class bike. At peak power in 1st gear, the bike is already exceeding most speed limits. Once in 2nd gear, it's exceeding all speed limits. For a literbike, you can replace the word most with all for the first statement.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2014, 11:00 AM   #29
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Just to play devil's advocate for fun, you actually can't. Sure, you can roll on at WOT at low revs, but that's making small amounts of power anyway. When someone says you can't use all the power on a supersport bike without breaking the speed limit, in many cases that is true for a current 600cc class bike, and in almost all cases it's true for a 1000cc class bike. At peak power in 1st gear, the bike is already exceeding most speed limits. Once in 2nd gear, it's exceeding all speed limits. For a literbike, you can replace the word most with all for the first statement.

Depends, for the most part your correct. But there's quiet a few stop signs on 55 MPH back roads and you can open a 600 up in first gear without going to jail.

I also have A -1/+2 setup so that I can use more power at a lower speed.

Old June 6th, 2014, 11:05 AM   #30
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
without going to jail and without breaking the speed limit are two very different things

reckless driving based on speed doesn't come into play until at least 30 over so you would be breaking the speed limit in first as you shift to second on a 600 but you wouldn't be going fast enough to get hit with reckless driving.

also afaik cops don't bother arresting people for speeding alone if it's under 100mph so 1st gear on a 1000 shouldn't get you arrested either on a 55mph stretch

Old June 6th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #31
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
and let me guess... you can handle it?

if it's about ergo's and suspension why all this talk of "POWER!! more power, its necessary, I could not ride a motorcycle with no less than 100hp because I need it!"?
Idk man, it just depends on the type of riding your doing. I'm not saying I'm a great rider, but I'm sure not going to bin a bike because it has 120hp rather than 40hp.

A supersport is about suspension and ergos, there's plenty of bikes out there with ****** ergos and suspension but lots of power. Prime example is my bike.

Old June 6th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #32
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post
the guy was on a track with long straights
To be fair there is and was no mention of the track in the post quoted and regardless the question still stands. 140mph necessary on public roads? or are bikes in question used only at the track then? The vast majority of SS bike owners have and will never see a track.

maybe we should have system like Japan, when on public roads the vehicle is governed via GPS but once the GPS registers the vehicle on the track you have all the performance/power available?

(keep in mind I really just enjoy a good debate )

Old June 6th, 2014, 11:14 AM   #33
subxero
dirty boy

MOTM - Apr '14
Quote:
Idk man, it just depends on the type of riding your doing. I'm not saying I'm a great rider, but I'm sure not going to bin a bike because it has 120hp rather than 40hp.

A supersport is about suspension and ergos, there's plenty of bikes out there with ****** ergos and suspension but lots of power. Prime example is my bike.
forks and shocks are but a mouse click away

Old June 6th, 2014, 11:16 AM   #34
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
To be fair there is and was no mention of the track in the post quoted and regardless the question still stands. 140mph necessary on public roads? or are bikes in question used only at the track then? The vast majority of SS bike owners have and will never see a track.

maybe we should have system like Japan, when on public roads the vehicle is governed via GPS but once the GPS registers the vehicle on the track you have all the performance/power available?

(keep in mind I really just enjoy a good debate )
I personally wouldn't buy a supersport if I didn't plan to track it, sure I'd ride it on the road, but I would track it also.

If I didn't plan on track riding I would just get a street bike with some power.

GPS, HELL NO, this is America buddy.

I love a good debate too!

Quote:
forks and shocks are but a mouse click away
I think it'll be a winter project of mine, I bought my bike with no intention of track riding, but now that I'v done it I don't think I'll be stopping. Nothing like riding for two plus hours in a controlled environment for the price of one speeding ticket.

Old June 6th, 2014, 11:23 AM   #35
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Depends, for the most part your correct. But there's quiet a few stop signs on 55 MPH back roads and you can open a 600 up in first gear without going to jail.
But you didn't say without going to jail, the quote was without breaking speed limits. I've been known to exceed a speed limit or two, and have yet to be taken to jail for it.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2014, 11:37 AM   #36
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
But you didn't say without going to jail, the quote was without breaking speed limits. I've been known to exceed a speed limit or two, and have yet to be taken to jail for it.
I miss worded that, I can get full power in 1st gear in my bike without getting a speeding ticket.

Old June 6th, 2014, 02:15 PM   #37
Samer
ninjette.org guru

Name: Samer

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE

I think you're missing or ignoring the point that seems obvious. This isn't a courtroom so no need to parse words. In a 250/300, in certain situations, you can "ring it out" through multiple gears and then steady out slightly above the speed limit and you would not be risking a speeding ticket. The only place where this can be done legally on a SS 600 or 1000 would be on a track. So the full potential of the bike can not be realized (responsibly) on a public street. That's fine, maybe accelerating effortlessly with slight flick is satisfying enough.
Samer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2014, 03:33 PM   #38
Sirref
Private Joker

MOTM - Mar '14
Quote:
Good point, I pulled that information from a separate thread in the track section of the forum

Old June 6th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #39
Dredgshadow
ninjette.org member

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2013 600RR, 2009 250r

Lots of responses here so I will try to reply to a few. First of all, thank you Alex for adding it to my bikes....I meant to do that.
The ergonomics are actually not bad at all. I never get sore or tired and I am really not in great shape. I'm average at best.
I decided on a Honda instead of a 636 completely on the way it felt in person. I love the 636 and all, but the Honda just spoke to me I guess. As I mentioned, I never even considered a Honda before, but it was just a love at first sight kind of thing.
The first thing that made me laugh was the idea of 600ss bikes having no low end torque. Of course it doesn't pull like a 1k but how much damn torque do you need? It's plenty for me. Also no, I have not been in the power band. I've been to about 9.5 so close I guess. I'm using the break in method of, don't beat the crap out of it, but don't baby it either.

EDIT: For all of the guys talking about insurance, state farm State Farm STATE FARM. I was getting quoted some ridiculous nonsense to be 27 with a completely clean record. They came in at 815 a year completely FULL coverage.
BTW:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0762.jpg (107.3 KB, 141 views)

Last futzed with by Dredgshadow; June 6th, 2014 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Forgot to say
Dredgshadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 6th, 2014, 05:43 PM   #40
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Congrats on the bike... That's one sweet looking machine. I always had a soft spot for the konika minolta blue edition. Hopefully one day I'll be able to afford one...