ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old May 29th, 2016, 10:00 PM   #1
Cww125
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 2001 ninja 250r

Carbs cleaned twice. But still dead on throttle

Hello everyone, tldr cliff notes at the bottom. I picked up a 2001 ninja 250 that sat for four years. The first thing I did was drain the gas and clean the carbs. After putting the carbs back on, the bike would start and shoot up to 6k rpms. I adjusted the throttle cables and it brought my idle down. After that it would idle fine but die on the throttle. I asummed I missed something on the carbs so I cleaned them again. But still the bike will die if I give a lot of throttle. I can ride the bike if I slowly give throttle but will start to bog after a few minutes of riding. I'm out of ideas at this point. Any help is appreciated.

-bike sat for 4 years, drained gas, cleaned carbs, changed spark plugs, cleaned air filter, cleaned carbs again, set air mixture screws to 2.5 turns out, will idle fine but die with more than quarter throttle, will ride okay for a few minutes but will bog shortly after and will bog if given more than quarter throttle.
Cww125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 29th, 2016, 10:04 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Cody,

I am sure someone who will have a good idea of your problem will chime in soon.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2016, 02:50 AM   #3
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Took me 3 tries at cleaning the carbs on mine before I got it running well, my daughter's bike still has some starting issues on cold mornings (I've torn hers apart twice). There are lots of little ports and passages to get clean.

Just taking the float bowl off and squirting some carb cleaner is not sufficient to get these carbs clean.

I'd say pull the carbs out again and clean them again, making sure you use a small wire on all the little holes.

Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. Did you take the top of the carbs off? Are the diaphragms in good shape? No tears or holes?

http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/Cleaning_the_carbs_1

Or take the carbs off and send them to Ducatiman for a professional rebuild.

Also, how many miles on the bike? If over 7,000 did you check valve adjustment?

Also don't take any of this personal, but a lot of people show up here with gummed up carbs asking the same questions. There are hundreds of threads like yours. A quick search through them will save us a lot of typing.

Last futzed with by VaFish; May 30th, 2016 at 08:53 AM.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2016, 05:25 AM   #4
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
After you've run out of patience, and still no getting anywhere, PM @ducatiman he's a member here, as well other forums.

He offers full carburetor services, he's a professional with many years of experience, and has the proper tools as well as surprising affordable.

Link to his services
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=226815

Link to his feedback
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=239678

Carburetors are not easy, despite the looks, and consensus by some here, they contain consumable parts that need to be replaced, super tiny orifices that a simple can of carburetor cleaner just doesn't cut it, and the knowledge of how to properly set them up.

Beyond common problems...... comprehensive carb cleaning is not for everyone, there is much to go wrong in short order. We've seen many members endlessly chase their tails, break stuff, assemble and adjust stuff wrong.

With some of the fleet becoming old, the vast majority require much more than "cleaning". The potential for leakage must be addressed, any less attention is irresponsible, and yes, this may even require thowing money and parts at them (gasp). Consumables...carb innards are not forever items.

And certainly there is MORE... much more....to it than simply addressing the pilot jets while they are out and on the bench.

Please...you're screwing around with FUEL...if not absolutely sure of what you're doing...send them to someone who is.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 30th, 2016, 10:49 AM   #5
Cww125
ninjette.org newbie

When I cleaned the carbs, both times I used compressed air, a tooth brush, copper wire and carb cleaner. That's why I am posting here for help. I have searched the forums and read many posts. The carbs were not bad looking the first time I pulled them off besides for a diaphragm that had a pin hole which I replaced. And I forgot to mention one of the most important parts. Cylinder 1 is warming up much faster and getting to a hotter temperature then cylinder 2. Any thoughts on this? Again I have searched this and have only found cylinders not firing. While mine is firing but just not as much as the other one.

Old May 30th, 2016, 11:34 AM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Possible issues;

Carb sync
Weak coil
Weak plug
Dirty plug
Valves
Vacuum leak
Exhaust leak
Bad adjustment on float
Mismatched jetting

Hopefully it's one of those simple things.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2016, 09:33 PM   #7
Cww125
ninjette.org newbie

Thanks for the help guys. I adjusted the valves and synced the carbs and now it's running smooth.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.