Old December 18th, 2012, 02:01 PM   #1
akima
Nooblet

Name: Akima

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R FI

MOTM - Oct '13
Biker Knocked Off

Link to original page on YouTube.

What the hell can you do when people drive like that?

akima is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 18th, 2012, 02:04 PM   #2
thisisbenji
ninjette.org sage

Name: Benji

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Sold), 2009 FZ6, 2015 Honda Grom

I was about to say "not lane split", but then he wasn't even lane splitting when that happened. I think your best bet is to just think that everybody is out to get you. I always think of the worse case scenario that anyone around me could cause while I'm riding.

Old December 18th, 2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Poor BMW. Hindsight is always 20/20 or better, but it looks like there was enough time to recognize what the car was doing, and both brake and/or swerve to avoid getting cleaned out by it.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #4
NewbieNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Yue Pheng

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250r, 2009 Suzuki GSX-R750

Not sure if this was in the Us, but it was a solid line too. So, the car shouldn't have moved to the right.
NewbieNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2012, 10:05 PM   #5
Yakaru
The Violet Vixen

Name: Yakaru

Motorcycle(s): Perigee (250), Hotaru (250), Saturn (300), Pearl (300), Zero (S1000RR), Chibi (Z125), Xellos ('18 HP4R)

MOTM - Jun '16
This is almost exactly how I was hit back in my thread over here: http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113461 -- I wasn't lane splitting but was a bit to the side and an unsignaled lane change just went straight into me. I was able to break/swerve but I over-drew on the tires and lost the bike. My lesson learned is to always assume every car on the road is planning a lane change into me at all times -- I'll either lane split between two cars (giving both nowhere to lane change into) or I'll stay on the opposite side of the road than a car beside me and try to stay in the far left or right lane so I can go into the shoulder if need be.
Yakaru is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by akima View Post
What the hell can you do when people drive like that?
This is the typical off-ramp dodger, described by David L. Hough in his book "Proficient Motorcycling".

As usual, great find, Akima.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Off-ramp dodger.JPG (89.3 KB, 21 views)
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #7
CC Cowboy
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Total rider's fault. Car was moving over before the bike even got close. Then the goon wants to take off his gloves instead of picking up the bike.

Old December 28th, 2012, 03:43 PM   #8
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
Total rider's fault. Car was moving over before the bike even got close. Then the goon wants to take off his gloves instead of picking up the bike.
not picking up the bike was terrible.

Old December 29th, 2012, 03:34 AM   #9
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
That's a useful bit of info @Motofool. So really my questions shouldn't, so much be "What the hell can you do when people drive like that?", but: 'What should you have done already to avoid that situation even being possible?'. That rider should have assumed that driver was going to cut across that lane to make a last moment attempt to make an exit. I think I'll be mindful of that from now on.

I've seen mounting evidence recently that it's the confident/fast riders who maintain an attitude of self-protection that are most likely to survive/stay-upright, on the road. If you're out in the fast lane on a motorway, there can't be a car further out than you that could cut across to make an exit. If you lane split past cars stopped at lights then you can't get rear ended. I watch Mordeth 13's videos and although I don't aim to ride just like he does (he's a bit nuts!), I think his aggressive riding works in his favor.

I don't think I explained myself very well!

Old December 29th, 2012, 06:18 AM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

You did, Akima.

Speed can kill you and can save you according to the circumstances.

"I was always afraid of dying. Always. It was my fear that made me learn everything I could about my airplane and my emergency equipment, and kept me flying respectful of my machine and always alert in the cockpit.

If you want to grow old as a pilot, you`ve got to know when to push it, and when to back off." - Chuck Yeager

For this specific case, other than having had faster reaction and braking (and picking up of his bike ), there was nothing else that the rider could have done once he put himself into that trap.

If you are riding the super-slab everyday, you will develop an additional sense to search, find and evaluate potential dangerous situations,.........hard to explain, but it is real.

With enough time, good safe practices become habits; hence, your eyes and attention are more free to scan the traffic.

Some of those habits of mine are:

-Minimum possible time riding parallel to a car, or in its blind spots, or in the center of the lane while following. Speed up or slow down. Be extra careful close to on and off ramps.

-Maximum speed while entering the super-slab, looking for areas of less congestion. Flow with traffic speed after that transition.

-Stay ready for fast swerving and emergency braking at high speeds. Practice at least once a week on a parking lot to stay in shape. Ride with confidence in your skills and an empty and super-alert mind. Have pre-planned at least one escape way for each situation. The right order is: brake, swerve, brake more or accelerate.

-Minimum possible time checking your mirrors, but frequently.

-Don't move much faster than the cars in the next lanes (5~10 mph). Keep the front brake covered at least with two fingers.

-Don't pass on the right. If you have to, keep extra attention on the front wheel of that car for any indication of change in direction towards you.

-Look far away (~20 seconds ahead) and keep an eye on the close surroundings via peripheral view, quick glances and mirrors. Spot road surface problems and make a decision about them with enough time. Put distance between big debris and you, even if they are on other lanes, cars can shoot them in your direction.

-Use the HOV lane as much as possible.

-Change lanes slowly, one at a time and with a quick head turn to check your own blind spot for each change. Expect somebody to quickly invade the spot onto which you are moving and have a plan B. Hand signals are more effective than lights, but they compromise control some times.

-Once the directional light is on, my thumb remains on the bottom to turn it off as soon as needed (a forgotten light confuses drivers,.........even more ).

-High beam during the day is legal here; hence, I use it as running light.

-Quickly signal and move over for tailgaters and other crazy-acting drivers. Don't try to educate drivers with gestures, shouts, arguments, etc.; you are a survivor at there, not an educator.

-During slow downs, make a point on keeping the correct gear for a possible needed acceleration. Feel engine sound and vibration to select the gear rather than looking at the gauges. Downshift smoothly.

-Florida doesn't allow lane splitting; hence, at traffic lights and stop signs, I stop the bike in a diagonal way, pointing toward the empty space between two cars and keep an eye on the car coming to a stop directly behind me (the angle of the mirror is perfect); also keep my ears open for strange noises behind me.

There are really crazy and dangerous situations impossible to foresee, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of safety on the road.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old December 29th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #11
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Avoiding crashes to me involves management( space, timing, prescience, and visibility) and technique (skills and execution).
A lot of management is learned by experience on the road, and tech is learned from practicing emergency maneuvers.

So my thinking is since most accidents are avoidable, its up to the rider to defend himself against them.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 29th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #12
Racer x

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
In my opinion.
That was the bikes fault. Maybe the car did everything wrong. But the bike did nothing to prevent himself from getting hit. The way he went around the red car in a lane splitting way blocked the hitter from seeing him.

I ride like the cars are giant rocks rolling down a hill. They are just going along. You have to watch out for them ALL THE TIME. Like a squirl dodging cats. You have to be ever vigilant.

Old December 29th, 2012, 07:27 AM   #13
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Some good tips here:

http://www.wikihow.com/Ride-a-Motorc...vent-Accidents

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/str...e/viewall.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...he_Hurt_Report

http://www.sportbikes.ws/showthread.php?t=69352

"So, what’s important? Skills or Knowledge?

The emphasis on "emergency skills" in training courses has led us to believe that control skills are where we should focus. Certainly, it’s important to know how to corner, how to shift gears without sliding the rear tire, how to brake hard without falling down. But eventually most of us realize that what’s really important is to know what trouble looks like, and how to avoid riding into it.
Frankly, if you’re still experiencing lots of close calls, you’re not using your brain enough. If you don’t spot a driver about to turn left until he’s smack in front of you, it means you weren’t paying enough attention to traffic around you. If you come over a hill and suddenly have to brake hard to avoid a truck backing out of a driveway, that means you were riding too fast for your sight distance at the moment. It’s important to spot dynamic patterns that could lead to a collision, and take action soon enough to get out of the way. Veteran riders typically have few close calls because they have developed proficient mental skills.
Please. Let’s get smarter about riding on public roads. Stupid hurts." - David L. Hough

Old December 29th, 2012, 08:55 AM   #14
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
My father had two great saying (that I heard all the time).

"Never stifle a kid", meaning that kids can learn anything at an early age.

"Keep your head on a swivel", meaning always know your surroundings.

I was lucky enough to get many experiences at a very early age; I had a scooter at 5, a go-cart at 8, we had airplanes since I was in 3rd grade and I was taught to fly at 8, numerous minibikes and motorcycles very early, I learned to drive a shift car at 10 (although it was a VW with no power), my grandfather had a farm and I was allowed to drive trucks at 13, and was always taught that if something goes wrong it is ALWAYS your fault.

I had a few sayings when my kids started riding, "ride like your life depends on it, because it does" and my favortite "everyone is out to kill you".

I usually never use my brakes when I come upon a dangerous situation. I don't need to because I have recognized most situations before they happen and alread have an escape plan. You have to use preripheral vision and be an illumiati (know all, see all).

I believe track days help in learning escape plans for riding. When someone brakes too hard in front of you, go around them. Learn how to take a turn side by side.

Old December 29th, 2012, 10:34 AM   #15
akima
Nooblet

MOTM - Oct '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer x View Post
Like a squirl dodging cats. You have to be ever vigilant.
IKR!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
you are a survivor out there, not an educator.
I like that